Some Thoughts on Optimization

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Thoughts on Optimization

Hi all,

I just went through a round of optimizing Note2Watch for memory usage and speed and learned a few things along the way, so thought I'd share.

I was able to get the memory usage from ~58K, which was causing a memory exhaustion error on the VivoactiveHR, down to ~30K.

Here's how I did it:

MEMORY OPTIMIZATIONS

1. Inline EVERYTHING!!!: I originally had this idea that I would have a nice, reusable and publishable, standard library of functions that I could link against. I called this MonkeyExtras. Turns out the overhead of maintaining the `modules`, `objects`, `enums` and `functions` associated with a nice library is just too much for an app running in 64K of code space. This is especially true when it's a bytecode-interpreted, dynamic language with little-to-no optimizations performed in the compiler-pass.

By inlining everything, I was able to get quite a lot of memory back. Part of this is avoiding the overhead of objects, but, I think part of this is that by using the stack instead of the heap more, you're helping the garbage collector (GC) by giving it less to do.

Unfortunately, the code readability suffers a bit, but gotta say that it was totally worth it.

2. Avoid objects at all costs! Take any objects you're using and refactor the code to be pure functions using native data-types. Since you're being explicit about the state you're passing around, you'll be able to better save memory, and you'll help the garbage collector out some by not having an object instance hold a strong reference to your data. The moment data isn't used anymore, the GC can clean it up.

3. Remove any internal use of Strings! I was using String objects in a number of places, as property store keys, as setting values, as arguments to web services. Turns out, storing all of these strings was pretty inefficient, when in most of these cases the string was really just acting as an Enum type. By converting most of these cases to an actual Enum, I was able to save a bit more memory.

4. Consider bit-packing. A lot of times bit-packing is an over-optimization, but if you're trying to store a large amount of numeric data, in my case text rendering data, it maybe worth it packing the data into arrays of 32-bit integers. Unfortunately, you still have to pay the overhead of a dynamic array (Garmin: can we please get a memory-efficient native integer-array data-type?), but it can help. Again, the code readability will suffer though, so do this last.

SPEED OPTIMIZATIONS

1. Cache everything! I know, I know, this goes against everything just said above. However, if you optimized out the unnecessary memory usage of your app, you now have room to trade memory for speed and make it perform better for the end user. In this case, you want to take any expensive computations and make sure you're performing them only once and saving the results in memory (obvious, I know!). One thing you might want to consider is checking the amount of currently used memory to decide dynamically how aggressive your caching policy should be.

2. Hide the computations from the user! If you can, offload computations into the background so they don't block the UI thread. You can do this in Connect IQ 1.X by starting a timer thread and dispatching work to it. In Connect IQ 2.X, you should be able to use the Background Worker framework as well. One thing to note, though, is to avoid doing too much work in the background because otherwise the Watchdog timer will kill your app.

To avoid this, set a timeout yourself of approx 30ms, and preemptively exit if you exceed it so that the Watchdog doesn't trip.

Hope this helps!

-Rick

This is all great advice.

One of the things I want to add to my sample github repo is a before/after example where there is a working but bloated app but then a second copy with most (if not all) of these types of optimizations used. It's good to put them in writing but nothing hits the point home like a working example.

Cheers,
    Douglas
    Current tech: D2 Charlie (w/ tempe), D2 Bravo 5 (w/ HRM-Run), GPSMAP 296
    Own/owned/used: D2 Bravo, D2 Charlie, fenix 5, GPSMAP 396/296/196, GPS12, FR15, FR10
    CIQ Environment: MacOS 10.13.x, Eclipse Oxygen.3
    My apps: Garmin Connect IQ Store (dbrobert)

Comment

Can you elaborate on, "Hide the computations from the user! If you can, offload computations into the background so they don't block the UI thread. You can do this in Connect IQ 1.X by starting a timer thread and dispatching work to it. "

I use timers to delay computations so that the UI does not appear laggy, but from what I can see, when the computations start when the timer fires, they still block the UI. i.e. they are not really being done in the background. You are just controlling when they are done when a user stops pressing buttons. But once the computations start, the buttons still become unresponsive.

Or do you have some clever trick I am missing?

Comment

Originally posted by rconradharris View Post
        In Connect IQ 2.X, you should be able to use the Background Worker framework as well. One thing to note, though, is to avoid doing too much work in the background because otherwise the Watchdog timer will kill your app.
        One thing here is a background process (only on f5 family and 935 devices) can only run every 5 minutes, and can at most run for 30 seconds at a time. (it's not a low priority thread that always runs). It does run even if a widget isn't being displayed, so the widget can have fairly current data when it first runs.
        My Connect IQ Apps in the Store
        Facebook - Instagram -
        Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by gasteropod View Post
          I use timers to delay computations so that the UI does not appear laggy, but from what I can see, when the computations start when the timer fires, they still block the UI. i.e. they are not really being done in the background.
          You might be right about that, will need to investigate more.

However, I can say for sure that it increased the *perceived* performance of the app, because the computation is delayed a bit, allowing for a relatively quick start up, but still not performed at `onLayout` time, meaning that the user doesn't have to wait for a note to render in place.

The work flow is something like

1. Start app
          2. Fire off a delayed timer to pre-render notes
          3. Pre-render each note, making sure to stay under the 30ms watchdog limit within the `onTick`

`onLayout` and `onUpdate` now become relatively cheap operations.

Comment

I was able to recover a heap of memory by laboriously reproducing bitmapped images (button icons etc) with with run-time drawings (dc.draw...). I was delighted to find that I wasn't able to detect any significant processing overhead
            raceQs sailboat racing app.

Comment

Working...
            X