Inverted custom font in fr920xt simulator

Hi!

When I use a custom BMP font on fr920xt simulator, all characters appear upside down. The fr920xt simulator seems to be the only one affected. All other simulators I tried, display the font just fine.

To reproduce, clone the repository
https://github.com/samuelmr/garmin-updatecount
compile and launch simulator:
monkeyc -f monkey.jungle -d fr920xt -y ~/connectiq/developer_key.der -o UpdateCount.prg connectiq monkeydo UpdateCount.prg fr920xt community.garmin.com/.../1462880.png
  • The 920 is unique in this, and you need to build for it specifically There may be an extra command line flag if you are doing command line builds vs eclipse to let the resource compiler know it has to invert things.. I always build with eclipse and don't recall
  • FYI, your repo is missing the file resources/font/andika32.fnt referenced in the resources (probably because it's listed in .gitignore), as well as the related PNG files.

In any case, here is the build line that is generated by the Windows Connect IQ Eclipse plugin, for me, when I try to run your app for 920XT:

BUILD: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_111\bin\java -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Dapple.awt.UIElement=true -jar CIQROOT\connectiq-sdk-win-3.0.9-2019-2-27-0ad96b4\bin\monkeybrains.jar -o WORKSPACEROOT\garmin-updatecount\bin\UpdateCount.prg -w -y DEVKEYROOT\developer_key -d fr920xt_sim -s 1.3.0 -f WORKSPACEROOT\garmin-updatecount\monkey.jungle

Maybe when you build you need to specify "-d fr920xt_sim" instead of "-d fr920xt".
  • Thanks guys!

Yeah, building for fr920xt_sim and running the simulator fr920xt works. I'm still not sure what happens with the actual hardware device.

Is this stuff documented somewhere or is it just something all of us have to learn when we bump into issues?

(BTW, good call about the missing font. Should have replaced Andika with another, more freely redistributable font when I created the repo.)
  • Kind of like the epix and CIQ 1.2.x and it's something that you just kind of pick up. There are some old (2015 timeframe) threads here about the "up-side-down" thing, and it really isn't something you need to worry about if you use eclipse. Even if you dislike eclipse, there are some things you can only do with eclipse, such as the App Settings editor, so may want to try it - as FlowState showed, even if it's just seeing the full command lines that are being used.
  • FR920XT devices have a unique upside down thing going on in the display output, and what you are seeing is a result of this. I don't think it makes a difference for any other devices, but with the 920XT, you have to use the correct target (fr920xt_sim or fr920xt) or you will see this issue with any compiled bitmap or font resources.