PDA

View Full Version : Distance Setting While Swimming

KKELLY9558
08-18-2009, 07:31 PM
What distance setting do you set the 310xt on... to get accurate distance reading? I tried both "distance" and "distance lap" while training in pool and both were inaccurate. I swam 1500 meters and it said I swam nearly 3 miles.

DW152
08-18-2009, 07:35 PM
Although written for swimming outdoors, this might be relevant:

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=903

I'd be interested in seeing what your GPS track looked like while swimming indoors. Would you be willing to share your workout?

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
08-18-2009, 08:16 PM
What distance setting do you set the 310xt on... to get accurate distance reading? I tried both "distance" and "distance lap" while training in pool and both were inaccurate. I swam 1500 meters and it said I swam nearly 3 miles.

You won't get accurate distance with the 310XT while swimming.

KANSAIBEN
08-18-2009, 09:28 PM
Kelly, I've posted on that other thread about the swim cap method for getting a decent GPS track, however, to address your question more specifically here, the problem you are having isn't with your data field choices for distance, but the GPS signal quality. If you wear the unit on your wrist and/or swim in a pool, it's not a good environment for maintaining a solid GPS track (signal can't penetrate the water). If you are swimmingopen water 1500meters though, placing the unit under a swim cap allows the unit to maintain a decent signal and your distance field will give you better results.