PDA

View Full Version : Turn off GPS?

EVENKROG
08-18-2009, 02:27 AM
I'm thinking about getting the 310Xt, and have a couple of quick questions:

*Is it possible to swith off the GPS function, and use only the HRM? If so, what is the battery lifetime in this mode?

*How accurate is the altimeter? I'm more concerned that I get a fairly correct reading of meters climbed and a good track profile, than a spot-check of altitude.

Thanks

rgds,
Even

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
08-18-2009, 02:39 AM
Yes you can switch of the GPS - useful for indoor training but why would you do it outdoors?

Battery life - how long do you intend to train for? Twenty hours or thereabputs would be good for most folk. But then, if you are doing long events over 20 hours you might have a problem. Best to check it and see for your self perhaps.

No onboard altimeter so accuracy is probably not a good word word to use in conjunction with elevation readings obtained via GPS. Personally I find it acceptable as an indication although often start and finish elevations are usually a few metres out even if they are from the same spot. Not a reliable measure of elevation gain or loss overall, just an indication.

DW152
08-18-2009, 04:18 AM
Note that if you turn off GPS, you won't get any altitude readings since the 310 uses GPS to measure altitude.

EVENKROG
08-18-2009, 05:52 AM
Thank for the replies.

You're right, I would probably never use it without GPS outdoor. But I was just wondering if it was possible. Could be nice when hiking for several days, etc. (Assuming I would drag along such a huge watch only for keeping track of time...).

And for the altitude accuracy: As long as it's not more off than a handful of meters, it's good enough for me.

R.MCLACHLAN
08-18-2009, 06:56 AM
Altitude is very variable on the 310xt. Not that good IMHO.

I think Garmin should condider adding a barometric altimeter to their watches as the GPS measurement system seems very patchy with respect to altitude. Perhaps use GPS to get the initial fix and the barometer for the actual tracking relative to that start point.

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
08-18-2009, 05:50 PM
Thank for the replies.

(Assuming I would drag along such a huge watch only for keeping track of time...).

It's not a watch. It's a wrist mounted computer for sports training and data capture. :D

STEVEKN
08-19-2009, 04:46 AM
It's not a watch. It's a wrist mounted computer for sports training and data capture. :D

unless your swimming!

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
08-19-2009, 02:34 PM
unless your swimming!

Then it's a wrist mounted digital timing device :D :D

Garmin Forerunner310XT, a true multi-purpose, multi-sports training computer. :)