PDA

View Full Version : Memory available on the 310XT

EKUTTER
08-17-2009, 06:14 PM
I can't find any way to see how much memory is left on the 310xt. I believe that when the memory fills up, it will just stop recording. But how do I know how much I have left? Can I do my 2 hour ride without deleting stuff? Anybody know how many data-points the thing can store when recording HR, Power, and Cadence?

SEILOGRAMP
08-17-2009, 07:12 PM
I know this is not exactly what you're looking for but this is the best information I have from the old MB forum:

"The Forerunner 310XT stores the
track along with the fitness information in the same way as our other
watches. It can store approximately 20 hours of data (assuming 1
trackpoint is being recorded every 4 seconds - Smart Recording)."

Kind regards
Mark Beckett

Garmin ( Europe ) Ltd
The Global leader in satellite navigation

So my guess is that this equates to roughly 18,000 trackpoints (20*60*60/4). Compare that to 13,000 for the 305 and 16,000 for the 705.

NDURANCERIDER
08-18-2009, 08:53 AM
I can't find any way to see how much memory is left on the 310xt. I believe that when the memory fills up, it will just stop recording. But how do I know how much I have left? Can I do my 2 hour ride without deleting stuff? Anybody know how many data-points the thing can store when recording HR, Power, and Cadence?

When the 310 gets close to filling up the memory, it will give you a warning that the memory is becoming too full. Are you asking if you can still do a 2 hour ride after seeing this warning?

I would suggest you upload to your computer and then delete the old data. I tend to delete anything over a month. You can set Ant Agent to delete all information from the watch automatically after an upload, but that makes me nervous about losing data, so I prefer to control it myself. If the Ant Agent could tell the watch to delete anything older than a month, I would like that option, but it's all or nothing at this point.

April

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
08-18-2009, 05:46 PM
Maybe someone needs to confirm this, but my understanding is that the data is cleared off the device but downloaded to the computer if auto-delete is selected. At least that is what appears to happen on my Mac. I have an alias to the folder where the downloaded data appears which I use to upload info into SportTracks. (Have to do this as currently there is an issue with the ANT key being seen running WIndoze under Parallels). As far as I can tell, that data remains even after deletion from the device.

I'd assume that the same would happen on a Windoze computer.

NDURANCERIDER
08-18-2009, 05:58 PM
Yes, of course, the data remains on the computer after deleting from the device via the Ant Agent.

However, I don't like to trust auto-delete simply because I'm paranoid something will not get loaded to the computer in a glitch and then deleted from my device, leaving me with nada. Just paranoid, I guess.

I also tend to upload to two computers and not auto-deleting leaves it on the watch for a transfer later.

April

SEILOGRAMP
08-18-2009, 06:05 PM
However, I don't like to trust auto-delete simply because I'm paranoid something will not get loaded to the computer in a glitch and then deleted from my device, leaving me with nada.

Yes, and I recall a few posters having issues transferring data only to find out that it was gone from their device because of the auto-delete setting. :eek: