PDA

View Full Version : New no-impact Footpod?

CMAJEWSK
08-17-2009, 09:48 AM
When will Garmin come out with a foot pod that can measure no-impact activities like that of an elliptical or stair climber? Or is the technology just not there?

STEVEKN
08-17-2009, 01:44 PM
I suppose the problem is that the Garmin footpod has no way to know how far each revolution step is?

What happens if you use a footpod on an elliptical/stair or rower?
Does it record a cadence?

I should however like the facility to be able to add "distance" data to manual laps that I have recorded whilst no gps exercising on the elliptical/ rower, to complement the recorded HR.

CMAJEWSK
08-17-2009, 02:48 PM
I suppose the problem is that the Garmin footpod has no way to know how far each revolution step is?

What happens if you use a footpod on an elliptical/stair or rower?
Does it record a cadence?

I should however like the facility to be able to add "distance" data to manual laps that I have recorded whilst no gps exercising on the elliptical/ rower, to complement the recorded HR.

Here (http://connect.garmin.com/activity/7883147) is an elliptical exercise I did back in July with my footpod on. It does record cadence. I am not sure how you would extrapolate distance. Maybe just by remembering what it said on the machine itself?

STEVEKN
08-18-2009, 06:23 AM
Thanks, I suppose you could work it out from the "steps" that the machine shows.

I usually aim at about 120 steps/min on the elliptical, which gives about 54 minutes for 4K. ( averaged over Trail blazer exercise, where I try to keep constant speed for the different levels.)

Was your rate much slower (av 48 from activity you published. ) than this or does the cadence not represent a step as indicated on the elliptical machine?

I usually place a lap markers at a certain distance, the screen has 20 increments of 200m when doing an exercise against distance.
Being able to add the distance to the connect laps would help trying to see how the cadence recorded by the footpod is measured.

Thanks Steve

BSTARR67
12-03-2009, 05:13 PM
Exercise intensity on elliptical trainers depends on the amount of resistance on the pedals and arms, multiplied by the speed of motion (RPMs). It has nothing to do with the "length" or shape of the foot or arm motion.

An elliptical can be set to VERY high resistance, creating calorie expenditures easily ten times as high as lower levels. A footpod has no way of knowing this, so there is no way for it to measure either calories or "distance."

ARTABONE
12-05-2009, 11:06 AM
If you have to turn off the satellites and use it on an elliptical as a heart rate monitor would it calculate anything else other than just heart rate?

BSTARR67
12-06-2009, 06:42 AM
If you have to turn off the satellites and use it on an elliptical as a heart rate monitor would it calculate anything else other than just heart rate?

I will only monitor and record heart rate.

Note that Precor ellipticals built in the last three years are fairly accurate in their calorie estimates.