PDA

View Full Version : Calibrate PowerTap hub with Garmin Edge 500

FISANNA
06-08-2010, 01:43 PM
I cannot find out how to properly calibrate my PowerTap hub with the Edge 500. The CycleOps PowerTap manual says that the calibrate function should be invoked while not moving the pedals or spinning the hub while the Edge 500 user manual says "Keep your power meter active by pedalling".

So I don't know what is the right thing to do.

What is the correct way of calibrating the PowerTap?

LEOSZILARD
06-08-2010, 01:52 PM
I cannot find out how to properly calibrate my PowerTap hub with the Edge 500. The CycleOps PowerTap manual says that the calibrate function should be invoked while not moving the pedals or spinning the hub while the Edge 500 user manual says "Keep your power meter active by pedalling".

So I don't know what is the right thing to do.

What is the correct way of calibrating the PowerTap?

Read this thread. (https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=5706)

FISANNA
06-08-2010, 02:20 PM
Thanks yes it worked.

One additional comment to this is perhaps that it only seemed to work when the Edge 500 had found GPS position and when I had recorded a bit of data from the powermeter. Then I stopped and did the calibrate function.

It did not work when I initially only switched the unit on, waited until it said "Found powermeter" and then tried to calibrate. At that time it hadn't yet found GPS position and it seemed to be stuck in the "Calibrating..." function forever but didn't do anything.

So I think the key is to record a bit of data to ensure the powermeter is really active and connected to the Edge 500. Then do the calibrate. It worked for me.