PDA

View Full Version : Heart rate monitor.

PLAGEN
06-06-2010, 03:08 PM
Have anybody tested the garmin HRM1 belt with FR310xt and get it working.

My Garmin HRM2-SS belt is reporting in some insane heart rates at times, and that was never happening with the hrm1 belt for Fr305.

Unfortunately my 305 was missed somewhere on a 45km bike trip but still got the belt :-(

GOUGHYMACHINE
06-06-2010, 03:39 PM
I know a few people who use their old 305 hrm successfully with the 310xt. While it's still under warranty, contact garmin and get a replacement for your current hrm anyway. I'm waiting for my third one to arrive under warranty now. I also have a polar wearlink hr strap which the garmin hrm module fits onto and has worked successfully. Just remember that I believe the 305 hrm doesn't have the same waterproof rating as the new strap. Otherwise I'd have one of those by now!

I know of someone who said the new suunto hrm had an ant+ symbol on the back, and he's going to test it out some time. I mean, something has to work!

T_SMIT
06-06-2010, 08:16 PM
The HRM1 is compatible with the 310XT.

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
06-06-2010, 09:42 PM
I
Just remember that I believe the 305 hrm doesn't have the same waterproof rating as the new strap. Otherwise I'd have one of those by now!
!

The FR305 HRM strap is as waterproof as the new one. It's the device itself that is not as waterproof.

PLAGEN
06-07-2010, 04:04 AM
I am afraid i dont know where to claim new belt.

The 310xt and belt was buyed at the Monaco Ironman stand 2009 on that beach, he promised to send some recipe but didnt.
I was buying it because i was desperate, so i quess i am fu...d. :-)

But will suit up with hrm1 belt and do a rescan for belt next time i do a workout.
Hopefully i will get more thrustworthy numbers and not lots of spikes at 230-240bpm ;-)

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
06-07-2010, 03:14 PM
I am afraid i dont know where to claim new belt.

The 310xt and belt was buyed at the Monaco Ironman stand 2009 on that beach, he promised to send some recipe but didnt.
I was buying it because i was desperate, so i quess i am fu...d. :-)

But will suit up with hrm1 belt and do a rescan for belt next time i do a workout.
Hopefully i will get more thrustworthy numbers and not lots of spikes at 230-240bpm ;-)

Not necessarily stuffed :D. Unless you paid cash, you'll have some proof of purchase which you might be able to take to Garmin Support. Give them a call either way and expain the situation to them. You might be pleasantly surprised.
They'll have a good idea of the age of the device from the serial number anyway and from the date you registered it, if you did.

PLAGEN
07-23-2010, 06:50 AM
Not necessarily stuffed :D. Unless you paid cash, you'll have some proof of purchase which you might be able to take to Garmin Support. Give them a call either way and expain the situation to them. You might be pleasantly surprised.
They'll have a good idea of the age of the device from the serial number anyway and from the date you registered it, if you did.

I paid cash. :-(
Garmin norway have no sympathy for situation and claim recipe if i want their help.
Garmin International have automated system kicking my request back to norway.
I am in a buraucraty were i go endles circles and ends up losing, in this case 100$ that is price for new belt.

But i learnt a lesson, NEVER EVER buy from any stand when at a sport event. Those salespersonel cannot be trusted.

GERRYCAN
07-23-2010, 02:54 PM
With my Forerunner 301, I was sometimes getting spikes of 230-240, also occasionally dropping reading momentarily.

I followed the suggestion in the manual and tightened the strap slightly and the problem went away.

Try that and see if it helps in your case.

GOUGHYMACHINE
07-23-2010, 03:16 PM
Look at the polar wearlink+ strap (just the strap, not the strap and hrm module). Myself and others have bought it and the garmin hrm module clips on fine and it's worked well so far. Cost me about 30 or 40 bucks delivered.

PLAGEN
07-24-2010, 04:25 PM
Look at the polar wearlink+ strap (just the strap, not the strap and hrm module). Myself and others have bought it and the garmin hrm module clips on fine and it's worked well so far. Cost me about 30 or 40 bucks delivered.

hmm good idea.
I have a polar hrm belt around here somewhere.
Will try the strap.

PLAGEN
07-24-2010, 04:27 PM
With my Forerunner 301, I was sometimes getting spikes of 230-240, also occasionally dropping reading momentarily.

I followed the suggestion in the manual and tightened the strap slightly and the problem went away.

Try that and see if it helps in your case.

Ben there, done that.
Don't do the trix unfortunatly.

PLAGEN
07-26-2010, 12:12 PM
Have been trying out strap from Nokia N79 Active with the Garmin electronics mounted on the buttons.
Only 4 workouts so far but looking good.

This workout was with all the error provoking factors i can think off: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/41906008
Wery warm and dry weater.
Constant heart rate 140+
100% polyester t-shirt.
Wire for i-pod in the area.
And it seems to log heart rate flawless.
Lets hope it keeps on doing that.

WEAVER07950
08-03-2010, 08:21 PM
I think my Garmin Tx unit is bad. When hot and humid, on runs over 30 to 40 minutes, it has never worked with either a Garmin soft-strap or a Polar Wearlink+. There is a difference though. The Garmin will go very high (average 190-200 when my maxHR is 167) while with the Polar strap it goes very low (40 to 60) even when I am running at race pace. However, it has never failed with either strap on bike. I think the apparent wind evaporates sweat so that it is not an issue. Does anyone think the 3rd option, (Garmin hard strap) will work or should get I get Garmin to exchange Tx unit and/or strap?

DW152
08-04-2010, 05:28 AM
You might want to read this thread:

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=1884

WEAVER07950
08-05-2010, 02:47 PM
Thanks for help, but I have already read this thread and all others on this subject. My problem is not shirt flapping or static. I have done bike with tight shirt, or flapping synthetic shirt with never a problem. It seems to be heavy sweat related (when shirt is dripping with sweat). During every road running race I have done since new, it has failed, usually after 20 to 30 minutes (usually around the time my shirt is soaked). I only bike for cross-training. I expect if I had the leg strength to get my heart rate up and sweat more it would probably fail during biking as well, or maybe the apparent wind will cause enough evaporation to keep it working. I haven't tried it yet without a shirt but that is not an option in some races. The shirts I am wearing are moisture-wicking technical shirts. Cotton shirts hold so much moisture that I can't imagine a serious runner wearing them when it is hot and humid. I haven't tried it yet upside down or on my back but will do this week. (I don't expect anything different though, as I am almost entirely convinced it is sweat related) I have other older HRM's (Timex, Acumen, Polar) that have never failed as long as using gel. All my races are public on GC if anyone is interested.

DW152
08-05-2010, 04:02 PM
The new HRM design has had a lot of problems, as described in the thread I provided a link to. It's not just the shirt-flapping syndrome or the static syndrome -- it just doesn't seem to work well in almost all circumstances. No amount of fiddling will seem to make it work. Your best bet is to go back one generation and get the older style HRM strap.

RVDOWNING
08-06-2010, 08:46 AM
Have been trying out strap from Nokia N79 Active with the Garmin electronics mounted on the buttons.

This workout was with all the error provoking factors i can think off: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/41906008
Constant heart rate 140+
100% polyester t-shirt.

Mine worked great for a couple of weeks; then the problems started with erratic readings. I ended up having to soak the strap in vinegar and scrub the contact points with a toothbrush. Likewise I had to scrub the contacts on the HRM itself with vinegar with a toothbrush. Then it worked on for a day and then started screwing up again.

I also tried washing the strap with the laundry. To get accurate readings I have to do the vinegar scrubbing, and I just found it too much trouble.

I actually went back to the older Garmin HRM which works totally fine except for the start of runs with the static electricity problems. I solve this problem by spraying the inside of my running shirts with Static Guard as I had been doing before trying the Nokia strap.

STEVEKN
08-07-2010, 08:59 AM
I did a long steady treadmill run with the old garmin heart rate monitor and footpod:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/38506261

The are regular glitches throughout the run of heart rate drops, which I certainly did not notice during the exercise.

Has any one else noticed these regular drops? I never noticed them with a 305 so are they a 310 feature?
I assume they effect the overall averages?

Steve

WEAVER07950
08-09-2010, 06:40 PM

Constant heart rate 140+
100% polyester t-shirt.
Hi Plagen,

How is it going with that Nokia strap? My trigering factor is hot, humid, and dripping wet shirt.

PLAGEN
10-03-2010, 01:24 AM
The nokia/polar testing was no good.

Have tested a lot and problem is the same.

There must be some error in the hrm02 module or maybe even in the 310xt.

A have a hrm01 for garmin 305 belt i want to try but cant get it to pair with the310xt.

DW152
10-03-2010, 05:33 AM
A have a hrm01 for garmin 305 belt i want to try but cant get it to pair with the310xt.

Some things to try:

- A new battery.

- Make sure you are wearing it when you try to pair.

- Try reversing the polarity on the battery in the HRM strap. There are a lot of messages here on how to do that.

SALIGHINI
10-05-2010, 12:49 AM

Perfect coupling!