PDA

View Full Version : MapSource (not) running on Windows 7 64 bit

TONY_WESTCOAST
08-16-2009, 02:20 PM
Hi,
I recently upgraded my laptop to Windows 7 Release Candidate 64 bit. I previously ran Mapsource on this same laptop when it was running Windows XP Pro SP3. However in Windows 7, Mapsource runs fine until I click on the polgygon icon to begin selecting which maps I want to download to the GPS (GPSMap 76Cx). Upon selecting any maps, whether one or many maps, I get an error message "there is a problem with this GARMIN application, please press the button below to copy the log file....". After I copy the log file and press OK, MapSource terminates.

Running MapSource version 6.15.6

I've tried running in Windows XP SP 3 compatibility mode, but same result. I have Topo Canada loaded and I can see the outlines of the maps available for download. But as soon as I click on a map to select it for download, I get the error.

PS. Uploading and downloading waypoints works fine with MapSource and Windows 7 64 bit.

Anybody running Mapsource in Vista (Windows 7 is not too much unlike Vista). Anyone running in a 64 bit operating system?

Update. Tried un-installing Garmin software and re-installing version 5.4 of MapSource. No change, still crashes when I begin to select map tiles to download to the GPS.

thanks for any tips,
-Tony

BILLSLIV
08-17-2009, 12:31 AM
I'm running Windows 7 64 bit and Mapsource 6.15.6. I can select and send to my Edige 705 without a hitch.

Not much help, but its what I got.

Bill S.

SEILOGRAMP
08-17-2009, 09:00 AM
Yep. Works for me too. Running Windows 7, build 7100, both 32-bit and 64-bit.

GRMNMIKE
08-18-2009, 11:02 AM
Hi,
I recently upgraded my laptop to Windows 7 Release Candidate 64 bit. I previously ran Mapsource on this same laptop when it was running Windows XP Pro SP3. However in Windows 7, Mapsource runs fine until I click on the polgygon icon to begin selecting which maps I want to download to the GPS (GPSMap 76Cx). Upon selecting any maps, whether one or many maps, I get an error message "there is a problem with this GARMIN application, please press the button below to copy the log file....". After I copy the log file and press OK, MapSource terminates.

Perhaps there are some driver issues with Windows 7 with your hardware. Have you checked for updated video card drivers? Can you paste the error log that appears?

EDWINBLEES
08-18-2009, 03:48 PM
Hi,
I found this page because i also have a problem with mapsource and windows 7 (mapsource 6.15.6, windows 7 x64 ultimate, garmin 60cs).
When i try to upload or download data from the gps the program crashes.
One of the errors listed is:
- Windows Error Code: 8 Not enough storage is available to process this command.

So i checked the disk space. this is no problem. So i checked the memory of the system (taskmanager). Is seems that when mapsource is started it takes 1,9Gb of memory (almost all the memory left in the system).
So i guess that when i try communication with the gps there is no more memory available.

Anyone recognized this and (please please) does anyone have a (quick) solution since in two days we're on holiday.

EDWINBLEES
08-18-2009, 03:56 PM
A bit more info
The complete error code is:

Error Information:
App: MapSource
At: 18-8-2009 20:50:39 (UTC)
OS: WIN32 Windows Platform, Major Version: 6, Minor Version: 1
Processor: x86, Processor Level: 6, Processors:2, Model: 23 Stepping: 6, RAM: 3128632
WIN_THREAD.HPP-56-6.15.6.0
Windows Error Code: 8
Not enough storage is available to process this command.

Changing compatibility mode to the mapsource.exe file to Windows XP sp3 does not help.

EDWINBLEES
08-19-2009, 01:43 AM
And yet more information (and a temp. solution).
The problem is with the mapsource version i use (v 6.15.6). When i start this version, all available memory is claimed.
So i downloaded the previous version ( from "http://www8.garmin.com/software/MapSource_6154.exe") and installed it.
this version works fine. A normal amount of memory is claimed and i can upload the maps to my device.

So be very carefull with the version V 6.15.6

FALAGAR
08-25-2009, 03:04 AM
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We will investigate the Windows 7 64bit issues and will hopefully have this fixed in the next release.

JRICKERBY
09-07-2009, 08:23 PM
While Mapsource installed okay on my Windows 7 system, there are no file associations. I have attempted to manually assocaite files (.gdb), but as Mapsource is not present on the Default Programs list, even when I select Mapsource as the application, it will not associate. :-(

HARR449
03-02-2010, 04:41 PM
I installed Mapsource on my Windows 7, 64 bit laptop then I transferred my waypoints, maps, and routes from my GPSMAP60 into Mapsource.

Everything looked OK until I shut down MapSource and opened it up again. Got a message that no maps were loaded so program doesn't work now.

MapSource working OK on my desktop with Windows XP, and it was working OK on my laptop with Vista. Had to replace laptop hard drive so installed Windows 7. Having problems with other incompatible software like Palm Desktop.

FALAGAR
03-02-2010, 06:08 PM
What map(s) did you have installed? Do the map(s) still show up under installed programs (Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features)?

This does not sound like the usual Windows 7 issue. Your maps should not just disappear.

HARR449
03-03-2010, 07:25 AM
I installed Mapsource on my Windows 7, 64 bit laptop then I transferred my waypoints, maps, and routes from my GPSMAP60 into Mapsource.

Everything looked OK until I shut down MapSource and opened it up again. Got a message that no maps were loaded so program doesn't work now.

MapSource working OK on my desktop with Windows XP, and it was working OK on my laptop with Vista. Had to replace laptop hard drive so installed Windows 7. Having problems with other incompatible software like Palm Desktop.
Solved my problem with MapSource/WIN7.

In Windows 7 Control Panel search box, type the word "Troubleshooting" & then follow these steps:

1. Click on Troubleshooting
2. Under Programs, click on "Run Programs made for previous versions of Windows".
3. In the "Program Compatibility" pop-up screen, click "Next".
4. Windows will detect issues & show a list of installed programs. Highlight the problem program and click "Next".
5. For "Select Troubleshooting Option, advise Option "Try Recommended Settings."
6. Windows will choose a compatibility mode, for example Windows XP (Service Pack 2). For "Test Compatibility Settings for the Program", click on "Start the Program". If the program appears to be OK, go back to the Windows "Test Compatibility Settings for the Program" screen and click on "Next".
7. Click on "Yes, save these settings for this Program".

If the program did not appear to run, you can start the procedure again but choose the option to manually enter a previous Windows operating system different from the one chosen by Windows 7.

ABG94022
04-05-2010, 02:01 PM
While Mapsource installed okay on my Windows 7 system, there are no file associations. I have attempted to manually assocaite files (.gdb), but as Mapsource is not present on the Default Programs list, even when I select Mapsource as the application, it will not associate. :-(

I now have the same issue after upgrading from WinXP Home Edition to Win7 Home Premium (32 bit). Has anyone found a workaround?

Thanks in advance,
ABG

ABG94022
04-06-2010, 02:03 AM
I now have the same issue after upgrading from WinXP Home Edition to Win7 Home Premium (32 bit). Has anyone found a workaround?

Thanks in advance,
ABG

Just to answer my own question, the solution was pretty mundane. I had forgotten that MapSource is stored in C:\Garmin by default, not C:\Program Files\Garmin. Once I remembered that, navigating to the actual location of the executable to designate it as the default program for .gdb files was trivial.

ABG

TONY_WESTCOAST
03-18-2011, 10:42 AM
Hi,
It's been a year and a half, thought I'd try again. Still no resolution for me. Mapsource 6.13.2 runs fine until I select maps to download to the GPS. I can zoom in and out and move around on the background map. I can click Tools > Map and see the rectangles outlining the individual map sheets. But when I draw a rectangle around my area of interest or click on a single map sheet, all is fine until I release the mouse, then I get the error message "there is a problem with this GARMIN application". The error only appears after I release the left mouse. Up to that point I can see the list of map sheet names appearing in the maps pane. I can see the highlighting on the mapsheet pane to the right. As soon as I release the mouse button, the error appears and the program stops working.

I tried the compatibility tester and tested in Windows XP SP2 and SP3 modes, but the same outcome.

Screen shot attached as .jpg image.

This is the only program that isn't working for me in Windows 7 64 bit.

-Tony

FALAGAR
03-18-2011, 01:02 PM
This error has most likely nothing to do with the operating system. It's an error that occurs during map trimming (compressing and collecting map data). In your case it might happen when we try to figure out the size of the map tiles.

Did that MapSource version and map work an a different OS for you?

Which map is that?

You could also try updating to 6.16.3, in case we fixed something in the newer version.

Usually this is caused by bad map products though.

TONY_WESTCOAST
03-18-2011, 01:37 PM
Hi,
Yes MapSource worked fine for years on the same laptop with Windows XP. I don't recall the mapsource version numbers but it would have been whatever were current versions from about 2008 to mid-2010.

It was after I installed a new harddrive and installed Windows 7 64 bit that Mapsource stopped working when selecting maps. I have another old laptop also with Windows XP and I use that to load maps to the GPS.

This is TopoCanada

thanks,

FALAGAR
03-18-2011, 03:20 PM
So have you tried to update to 6.16.3?

Which version of Topo Canada?

I would also try re-installing Topo Canada to make sure the install went ok.

kganshirt
03-18-2011, 04:38 PM
If it's Topo Canada v2, the installer may be old enough that it might not work right under Win7 64-bit. At least it might be necessary to stop the autorun and run the Setup.exe by right-clicking and using Run As Administrator. It might even require turning UAC (user account control) off temporarily until it's installed correctly.

That may also install an ancient version of Mapsource which should also be replaced with the latest version.

...ken...