PDA

View Full Version : Auto scroll, auto pause, courses cause FR to freeze?

KIERENB
08-16-2009, 08:29 AM
Hi all,

I have a 301XT, software version 2.4. This morning I tried going for a ride on a course I had downloaded to the FR.

When I was near the course start I pressed start. I had the "Timer Started" message on the screen. The screen seemed to be stuck on that screen, only updating every few (10-15) seconds. I had read on another forum that auto-scroll can cause issues, so after a soft reset I turned off auto scroll.

I came back into the unit, pressed start again and seemed to start OK, although the FR hadn't recognised that I was now following the course. I stopped to have a look at why, and the unit said "auto stop" as expected. When I restarted the unit said "auto resume", but this message never left the screen and the unit appeared frozen. After a soft reset I turned this function off and tried again.

The ride ended with me never actually having the unit recognise that I was following the course (and hence not recording any data). In the end I gave up.

So to summarise my experience:
- I could not get the unit to recognise that I was starting the course, even though it showed that I was within 1ft of the course start (and accuracy was +-23ft).
- Something to do with the auto pause and auto scroll functions seemed to interfere with the unit's operation, causing it to lock up and require a soft reset.

To say it was a massively disappointing experience is an understatement. Others have logged that when following a course it take a long time after a turn for the unit to update the new direction. To me it seems that at best the 310XT is at best a release candidate. I would advise potential owners to wait for a couple of software updates to resolve some of these issues before purchasing, unless you are happy to struggle along with a device that has clear bugs.

SEILOGRAMP
08-16-2009, 08:47 AM
I had read on another forum that auto-scroll can cause issues, so after a soft reset I turned off auto scroll.

Following a course, with Auto Scroll enabled, the scrolling starts but then get hung up on the Virtual Partner page (2 dots on an elevation profile). If I press up or down the auto-scrolling would resume, but again stop at that same page. I sent an email to customer support. After several exchanges it came down to this:

I have gotten a response on this. The engineers are aware of this and it will be fixed on the next firmware update.

I don't use the auto-pause function, so can't comment on your other issue. I follow courses almost every day with the 310XT and have not had any problems with that.

KIERENB
08-20-2009, 03:25 AM
Apologies for the delayed response.

I finally got out to try another course, this time a much shorter (3 mile) course (the previous was 50 miles).

When I pressed start, I had the timer started message immediately followed by a "Virtual Partner finished" message. I ignored that and continued on to the start of the course. Whilst it takes a long time for the unit to get ready to follow the course, it did eventually happen - the map screen was displayed, and showed me in relation to the virtual target. The auto scroll and pause seemed to work, so I wonder if it was the size of the previous course that caused issues?

Does anyone have experience using long courses (ie 50 miles) with auto scroll and auto pause?
The course seemed to be very sensitive, i.e. there were quite a few times where I received an of course or course found message, when the display (zoomed in to less than 200ft, it was 80ft I think) showed that I was right on course.

I'll try another long course again this weekend, and will post an additional info if I find what was causing my issues from last time around.

SEILOGRAMP
08-20-2009, 06:03 AM
One possibility is that the device isn't sure which way you're heading. It guesses wrong so you are almost immediately finished with your course. I would make sure you have a solid satellite lock before starting. Also, don't press start until you are actually moving. In other words, don't press start while you are still standing still and haven't yet moved in the direction of the course. If that doesn't do it for you, then try not having the start and finish at the same location. Make the 2 points about 10 meters different.

KIERENB
08-24-2009, 01:19 AM
One possibility is that the device isn't sure which way you're heading. It guesses wrong so you are almost immediately finished with your course. I would make sure you have a solid satellite lock before starting. Also, don't press start until you are actually moving. In other words, don't press start while you are still standing still and haven't yet moved in the direction of the course. If that doesn't do it for you, then try not having the start and finish at the same location. Make the 2 points about 10 meters different.

Update: I was able to try this on the weekend, and followed these tips for a course over 46miles.

I think I've cracked it. Auto Scroll has the bug that you've referred to earlier. Auto Pause seems to work OK within the limits I'll describe below.

I think the problem is when using long courses (I've only tried 3 miles vs 46) with Virtual Partner on. Regardless of the course length, if VP is on, when I press start before the course start, I get a message that VP has finished. The behaviour then changes depending on course length:

For a short (3 mile) course, the unit appears locked up for a while with the message "Timer Started" on the screen. Only a soft reset can get it out of this point, but weirdly it has seemed to have recorded information. It will eventually draw the course map screen and allow you to follow the course.
For a long course the unit never recovers. It just sits there locked up, not responding to any button pushes for longer than my patience (I tried 6 mins) - remember that I already had sat lock etc.

I eventually found that the VP seems to cause the issue. If I disable the VP on a long course, the unit allows me to follow the course pretty much as expected. There were two remaining issues with this:

The unit does not appear to record distance travelled, even though it is showing elapsed time, speed etc. This is on the unit itself - I've not yet had a chance to see what happens when I upload to GC.
There is a screen (looks like a map screen, but it's not the course map) that shows "Working" and never changes. If I left it on this screen for anything more than a couple of seconds, it would eventually lock up the unit, requiring a soft reset to recover it.

Does this behaviour echo anyone else's experience?

SEILOGRAMP
08-24-2009, 04:54 AM
Does this behaviour echo anyone else's experience?

This does not happen to me, but I don't do courses exactly that way. Sounds like you've done some good analysis. Consider reporting this to Garmin support. They may already be aware of this or it may be something they should be aware of.

JSCHROE212
08-24-2009, 09:25 AM
KIERENB,

It would be helpful to see the courses your having trouble with. Are you using training center to send them to the unit? If so can you export them to tcx and attach them to this post?

Thanks

KIERENB
08-24-2009, 09:47 AM
Hi there,

Thanks for taking an interest. I reported the issue to technical support earlier today, I will let you know once I've heard something back.

The course is attached. I do use Training Center to send them to the unit.

Cheers,
Kieren.

KWAYOCU
08-26-2009, 11:37 AM
Kieren,

Thank you for providing the file however I will need to have the entire device folder if possible. Please email to techsupp@garmin.com attn: Chris L. Once I have this file we will be better equipped to see what the problem is.

Looking forward to your email.

Kwayocu.

KIERENB
08-28-2009, 04:56 AM
Thanks Kwayocu. I've emailed the Device folder across now.

KIERENB
09-01-2009, 10:39 AM
Latest Update: The courses I was having trouble with were created on MapMyRide. This thread (https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=1371) explains why they don't work.

To summarise where its all at then:
- Courses created in MapMyRide don't work - they seem to cause the unit to hang when it gets to the elevation screen (if it is on auto scroll), as well as showing other wacky behaviour.
- Courses and auto scroll, auto pause do work fine
- I've not yet tried using VP again with a course, but will do soon. I'm not expecting any issues though as others don't seem to have any.

Thanks all for your interest and help.