PDA

View Full Version : Map will not download - "Downloading - 0KB - Calculating"

ISRAFLIGHT
04-25-2010, 07:46 PM
I just purchased City Navigator Israel NT and installed the Communicator plugin.

When trying to "install map to device" (Nuvi 760) my device is recognized and I initiate the download.

For some reason, it is stuck on: Downloading
City Navigator® Israel NT (0KB). Do not disconnect while the download is in progress.
Estimated time remaining: calculating..

I have tried this on 2 different machines, on IE, Firefox, tried it on Windows 7 and in Virtual XP terminal, on 2 different networks..... all comes up the exact same thing.

I have also updated my Nuvi 760 software, still, no dice.

Any ideas?
thanks

ABANKOFF
04-29-2010, 12:54 PM
Product support at Garmin says that some customers were experiencing problems with the download and that they are working on it.

03-02-2013, 09:02 AM
Any update? I am getting the same message 3 years later

SUSSAMB
03-02-2013, 09:12 AM
Need a bit more info than that to help! OS you're using? Which GPS? Which map? Is it a new one or an update to an existing one?

03-02-2013, 04:51 PM
a garmin nuvi 50LM, trying to download city navigator europe NT -alps & dach, using windows 7 OS

SUSSAMB
03-02-2013, 08:03 PM
Is that an update or a new map?

Either way if it appears stuck check that the download is not being blocked by your firewall or virus program. Also be aware that an update/download can take hours, how long is it 'stuck on downloading' for?

If you're using Garmin Express there are known issues with that program, best advice is to use GarminMapUpdater (http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.exe) instead.

03-02-2013, 09:23 PM
I'm seeing the same. I'm downloading what I believe is just an update from https://my.garmin.com/mygarmin/mapUpdate But it still reads
Downloading...
City Navigator® North America NT (1881MB) to SD Card (G:) (7631MB available).

Do not disconnect while the download is in progress.
Estimated time remaining: calculating...

Just reads calculating... and nothing changes. It was sitting like this for over an hour. No green bar change just reads "calculating..." Probably dumb idea, but I refreshed the browser window hoping to get an updated status. It just started over and now back at the same thing, calculating.

Is there anyway I can tell if it's really stuck or actually still downloading? Looking in Task Manager FF is slowing using more memory but no CPU.
How many hours could it take. I'm on cable modem not DSL.

Windows 7 - Firefox 18.0.2
Nuvi 1390T installing on a card I just bought PNY highspeed microSDHC 8GB

Last question since I'm downloading to the card and don't want to wait for hours tonight, can I disconnect and start again another day or will this farg-up the Garmin? Unfortunately I'm leaving early tmr morning. If I knew it was going to be hours I would have just waited.

thanks for you patience,
cher

SUSSAMB
03-03-2013, 12:12 AM
On a cable modem it will certainly be hours ... can take me 90 minutes or so on a 20 Mbs broadband pipe. I've disconnected in the past and MapUpdater just picks up where it left off, but that's not to say that will happen in your case.

Again though check virus program and/or firewall is not blocking the download :)

05-30-2013, 08:52 PM
i'm having the same problem. was there ever a fix?

EVAN4TPT
05-31-2013, 01:46 AM
I'm leaving on a trip to Canada soon and need the map ASAP. Purchased it online and have tried to upload the map on two different machines, with two different OS, and several different web browser. I get the same "Do not disconnect while the download is in progress.
Estimated time remaining: calculating..." message with no response.

I called customer service today, spent 30 minutes on the phone with them. They weren't able to help. In fact, the tech was audibly getting frustrated with me. Their best suggestion was to go over to my local library and try to use their computer to download it. For the price of these maps, this issue is very frustrating.

06-01-2013, 09:26 AM
I am having the EXACT same problem while trying to install the newly purchased City Navigator® Australia & New Zealand NT (230MB) maps i.e. never-ending 'Estimated time remaining: calculating...' loop.

My device is Nuvi 1370T. The original maps on it were North America/Europe. The other day I was able to SUCCESSFULLY UPDATE my North America/Europe maps for the device.

Now that I am trying to download the newly purchased Australia/NZ maps on the SAME device with PLENTY of free space, I am getting stuck in the never-ending 'Estimated time remaining: calculating...' loop.
I tried with these configurations:
1. Windows 7 Internet Explorer (both with and without Firewall ON. Firewall does not seem to be the cause of this problem.)
2. Windows 7 Firefox
3. Mac OSX 10.6.8 Chrome
4. Mac OSX 10.6.8 Safari

interestingly enough, for Safari configuration, the download FAILED immediately (without indicating any reason for failure)... For all other configurations, I got the never-ending 'Estimated time remaining: calculating...' loop.

I need help. I am planning on calling the customer support this coming Monday to see if they can do anything. If not, I would like my $160 back.

SUSSAMB
06-01-2013, 09:31 AM
Are you using Express or Updater? If you've tried only one try the other.

And are you sure there is room? I know the EU ones come with 4Gb of space but the US ones only have 2Gb, if yours is the US model then I'd be surprised if the US/Europe and Aus/NZ maps would fit as most US users struggle to even fit the US map on!

If still no go you could try the cloning method. I always use it to download my maps and it's never failed me yet.

Copy the Garmin folder from your nuvi onto a SD card or USB stick. Then run GarminMapUpdater (http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.exe)

MapUpdater will think the card/stick is your nuvi and download the maps. Once download has completed copy the map files to the Map folder on your nuvi (you may need to create that folder). You might also need to rename the map files depending on what the map files already on your nuvi are called.

V.GRAZIANO
06-01-2013, 09:45 AM
I don't know how to create a new post but I have an issue

I have bought online the map GARMAP Sub-Saharan Africa Streetmaps NT (445MB)

It downloads way too fast for my connection, it reaches 100% but when I check on my Garmin 810 it does not appear.
Did anybody have the same issue?

I am slightly desperate :-) I have been trying all day :-)

Enzo

SUSSAMB
06-01-2013, 10:08 AM
Go to the correct forum (Edge 810) and click on 'Post new thread' button top left.

06-01-2013, 10:09 AM
Are you using Express or Updater? If you've tried only one try the other.

And are you sure there is room? I know the EU ones come with 4Gb of space but the US ones only have 2Gb, if yours is the US model then I'd be surprised if the US/Europe and Aus/NZ maps would fit as most US users struggle to even fit the US map on!

If still no go you could try the cloning method. I always use it to download my maps and it's never failed me yet.

Copy the Garmin folder from your nuvi onto a SD card or USB stick. Then run GarminMapUpdater (http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.exe)

MapUpdater will think the card/stick is your nuvi and download the maps. Once download has completed copy the map files to the Map folder on your nuvi (you may need to create that folder). You might also need to rename the map files depending on what the map files already on your nuvi are called.

-I am 100% sure I have room: My device is 3.89GB and has 1.47 GB of available space + I am using an 8GB microSD card which has 4.95GB of available space. Australia/NZ maps are only 250 MB or so.
-I am using the web-site way of downloading the map (I guess it means I am using 'Updater' method i.e. I go to Garmin.com and log in into my account. Then I go to myMaps and click on 'Download now' for AU/NZ maps.

STUARTMW
06-01-2013, 10:18 AM
Then I go to myMaps and click on 'Download now' for AU/NZ maps.

So you bought the maps in the download format? I take it you don't have a Lifetime subscription then.

Either way humor SUSSAMB and I by downloading GarminMapUpdater (http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.exe) and trying it.

06-01-2013, 10:24 AM
SUSSAMB,

GarminMapUpdater only shows the options for UPDATING current maps. My current maps are only North America & Europe. I've already (successfully) updated them the other day. I have since bought brand new Australia/NZ maps but I cannot seem to download them. GarminMapUpdater software does not show me the Australia/NZ maps, so I cannot download them.

The only way I know how to even attempt to download the Aus/NZ maps are through the Garmin.com website i.e. I go to Garmin.com and log in into my account. Then I go to myMaps and click on 'Download now' for AU/NZ maps.

Any ideas?

SUSSAMB
06-01-2013, 10:29 AM
Then I guess you have the EU version, plus you never mentioned you had a card also installed ...

I suggest your best way forward is to try the cloning method, Garmin website should download to the card then.

06-01-2013, 10:37 AM
-I bought the Nuvi 1370T in Canada, so I would think it is a North American version.
-How would I use the 'cloning method' if I cannot even use GarminMapUpdater to SELECT Aus/NZ maps? GarminMapUpdater shows a dialog "Please select map to update" and only gives me options to update either NorthAmerica or Europe. How do I select the Aus/NZ maps that I paid for? From the website, it does NOT show me the product key for the Aus/NZ maps (while it does show the product key for North America/Europe).

SUSSAMB/STUARTMW,

could you please tell me HOW I can select Aus/NZ maps for downloading when:
1) I cannot see them through GarminMapUpdater
2) Garmin.com does NOT show me the Product Key for the Aus/NZ maps, just the 'download now' button which upon pressing, takes me to the never-ending loop mentioned previously...

SUSSAMB
06-01-2013, 10:54 AM
Well AFAIK all the US ones have only 2Gb of memory, and I believe that applies to the canadian ones also, perhaps not :confused:

Anyway, the cloning method will fool Express or Updater or the Garmin website ... so you should be able to connect a cloned card to your PC and log in to myGarmin where it will recognise the card as your nuvi, then download the map to it. Once on the cloned card copy it across to your 1370/8Gb card

STUARTMW
06-01-2013, 11:46 AM
Ok I asked the question but I didn't see you answer but you've confirmed over a few posts what I suspected. You purchased the Aus/NZ as a download. It looks like GarminMapUpdater won't retrieve maps purchased in the download format.

For map downloads there is no coupon code shown in your myGarmin account (so they can't be updated). All you get is to download a gmapsupp.img file.

As you said you have to go to you myGarmin account and hit the download button. In this case the webpage uses the Communicator browser plugin (http://www8.garmin.com/products/communicator) to allow you to select what device to download to etc. Now I assume you have the plugin installed as the webpage would ask you to install it if it wasn't. I also assume you have v4.0.4 (the latest). If not click on the link in this text and download/install it. I also assume that the plugin is detecting your device and is showing that.

If all the above is true and the download hangs I suspect an issue with the plugin. You can try uninstalling/reinstalling, trying a different browser etc.

Another idea is to try and "clone" your device. Copy the GarminDevice.xml file from the \Garmin folder on your unit and put that (in \Garmin) on a removable drive (USB stick, SD card in a reader etc). The plugin will then see that as your device (which doesn't need to be plugged in). If that fixes the issue you can then manually (Windows Explorer etc) copy the gmapsupp.img file to your device or card.

06-01-2013, 02:57 PM
Ok I asked the question but I didn't see you answer but you've confirmed over a few posts what I suspected. You purchased the Aus/NZ as a download. It looks like GarminMapUpdater won't retrieve maps purchased in the download format.

For map downloads there is no coupon code shown in your myGarmin account (so they can't be updated). All you get is to download a gmapsupp.img file.

As you said you have to go to you myGarmin account and hit the download button. In this case the webpage uses the Communicator browser plugin (http://www8.garmin.com/products/communicator) to allow you to select what device to download to etc. Now I assume you have the plugin installed as the webpage would ask you to install it if it wasn't. I also assume you have v4.0.4 (the latest). If not click on the link in this text and download/install it. I also assume that the plugin is detecting your device and is showing that.

If all the above is true and the download hangs I suspect an issue with the plugin. You can try uninstalling/reinstalling, trying a different browser etc.

Another idea is to try and "clone" your device. Copy the GarminDevice.xml file from the \Garmin folder on your unit and put that (in \Garmin) on a removable drive (USB stick, SD card in a reader etc). The plugin will then see that as your device (which doesn't need to be plugged in). If that fixes the issue you can then manually (Windows Explorer etc) copy the gmapsupp.img file to your device or card.

Thank you for your help. Your statements in describing my situation are correct. I've tried everything (including cloning). The fact of the matter is: The Communicator Browser Plugin does NOT download the map for me (whether to my device or microSD or a USB drive faked to look like a nuvi device). It simply gets stuck in this loop. I've tried 3 different computers with 3 different OS (MacOSX Snow Leopard, Win 7 and Win XP). I've tried different browsers (Chrome, Mozilla and Safari). I've tried with and without Windows Firewall and nothing makes any difference.

I am very frustrated by this experience and, honestly, disappointed with Garmin's software support: I am surprised with the misleading user-interface on Garmin Express and WebUpdater and MapUpdater. One software says that my maps are up-to-date another one says that there are updates available yet the garmin.com says that my maps are up-to-date.

Bottom line is: I will be calling technical support on Monday and asking for help. If they are not able to help me with this technical issue, then I will be asking for a DVD with the maps for Aus/NZ and if that doesn't work I will be asking for my money back and most likely will be buying a different (non-Garmin) device that does have Aus/NZ maps.

This has been a frustrating experience and I don't want to go through it again.

Thank you to everyone who offered help.

Ivan

STUARTMW
06-01-2013, 03:06 PM
...I will be asking for a DVD with the maps for Aus/NZ...

Frankly I've purchased all my Garmin maps on CD/DVD. I'm not a fan of downloadable maps or pre-programmed cards. Granted BaseCamp can use those but I use MapSource (and it can't). Also CD/DVD maps can be updated at a future time.

Should I purchase mapping for my GPS on a disc, pre-programmed datacard, or as downloadable content? (https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={16315fb0-39b2-11de-5dd5-000000000000})

SteveLawlor
06-03-2013, 08:42 AM
I'm having the same problem.
Tried 3 computers with 3 operating systems Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 8 and 2 browsers IE and Chrome.

Same message and same result. i.e. no maps.
I need this map before Friday - Garmin not answering support line - I hope you're reading the forums.

SUSSAMB
06-03-2013, 08:56 AM
Well with few exceptions Garmin don't monitor these forums, which generally are for user to user help.

While you say you're having the 'same problem' can you be more specific. Are you attempting to update maps or install an additional one? Which maps? How are you trying to download them? Onto which GPS?

STUARTMW
06-03-2013, 08:58 AM
Did you purchase a supplemental map in the download format? If so as I said in this thread my guess is that is a Garmin USA server issue.

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?39943-Problem-in-downloading-US-maps-on-NUVI-2595lm&p=185744#post185744

BTW a few Garmin employees frequent these forums but it's not for official support.

06-03-2013, 09:37 AM
Stephen,

were you able to talk to the Garmin support? If so, what did they tell you?
I am planning on calling them later this afternoon.

Thanks!
Ivan

06-11-2013, 06:28 PM

I tried this and it didn't work for me. :(
I am so mad that I wasted $150 on Australia/New Zealand maps that I can't even use. I am about to destroy this GPS if it doesn't work soon. What should have taken at max 45 mins is taking me DAYS.... :mad:

SUSSAMB
06-11-2013, 11:55 PM
What 'didn't work for you'? If your PC didn't see the cloned device then either you've done it wrong or there is an issue with your PC. If you want help you need to be a bit more specific about what exactly you've done and what is/is not working. Oh, and which GPS do you have?

Worth pointing out that it is very unlikely to be your GPS at fault :)

SPWise
09-01-2013, 03:26 PM
I've spent all afternoon trying to download some US maps I need for a trip tomorrow.

Having read all the threads in this post I'm pretty disgusted that Garmin hasn't foxed an issue thats been around for months and I have also wasted money on mays that I cannot use. .

Garmin. Be ashamed.

SUSSAMB
09-01-2013, 11:29 PM
Probably nothing to do with Garmin, as invariably the fault is at the users end :)

Perhaps if you explained in more detail what you've tried and where you're not succeeding we could help :confused:

09-05-2013, 11:31 AM
Having the issue as well,

zumo 660 + City Navigator® North America NT - Lower 49 States ---> as "download" product<---

Get's stuck at "Estimated time remaining: calculating..." no actual data transfer whatsoever network traffic is silent.

tried:
- hardreset on zumo / erasing
- Firewall+antivirus off
- loading to device memory or to SD card (in device or clonned) - detection of SD/device is OK in all instances but it get's stuck all the same
- different browsers IE,Firefox,Chrome different PCs (Win8 and Win7),
- adding Garmin sites as trusted to IE, turning off certificate revocation (just suggestions i picked up around)

(+) The older Europe map originally from DVD downloads anew(to erased memory)/updates by MapUpdater or Express correctly, no issues there

--> the trouble is with ****up download using browser+communicator plugin, if i had any idea this product was actually different from the maps i already had ... well great marketing there ...

Is it possible to get a refund on this? or possibly swap it for regular DVD edition?
And where do i go about that anyway since support doesn't seem to be interested in responding to my plea 2 days now.

Any suggestions are welcome,
Thanks

SUSSAMB
09-05-2013, 11:33 AM
A recent poster on this forum found that everything worked if he plugged his PC directly by cable into his modem, there was apparently an error being caused further downstream. You might want to try that if you're using wifi/router.

09-05-2013, 12:27 PM
Thanks for tip,

didn't change anything thou :-/ , not by getting my rounter out of the way
it's still possible it might be blocked by internet provider, but seriously i don't have issue's with software of this kind from any other provider
.... if aplication of this sort needs direct connection ... is browser based and provides no means of specifing your possible outer-IP for routing ... absurd concept really

Or just by common sense since you can get data from garmin by Express or MapUpdater, the fault would be with communicator plugin still or an idiot who programed it in such absurd way to require direct connection ;) not ISP

thanks for answer, any other suggestion :) ?

STUARTMW
09-05-2013, 12:36 PM
Garmin's software does not require a direct connection. My PC's are certainly not directly connected to the internet. SUSSAMB suggested you try that to eliminate any possible issues with Wi-Fi or a router.

A number of users have complained about getting maps in the download format. I don't know what the issue is with that. Personally I wouldn't buy any map in that format but many do.

09-05-2013, 12:45 PM
Yeah sorry i was just thinking aloud :), wish i knew before hand that "download" version of map is total crap, waiting few days for DVD delivery beats few days of frustration over fucked up software for sure. <- make it sticky ;)
Must be like 5 days now and still no sign of actualy geting anything, save bad mood and hours upon hours of my time, for 60$ great deal.

STUARTMW
09-05-2013, 12:57 PM
I have said on this site that I believe Microsoft's .NET can be an issue on certain machines. A lot of Garmin software is written in .NET including the Communicator browser plug-in which is what Garmin's website uses when getting maps in the download format.

Now when getting map updates one has a choice of which software to use (Garmin Express or GarminMapUpdater) and even which version. For example I have a machine where I have to use GarminMapUpdater v3.0.11 since the latest version (3.2.2) doesn't work.

Unfortunately you can't use an old version of the Communicator browser plug-in since the Garmin website insists you use the latest version. In short you're SOL if the plug-in has issues.

Now I buy new maps on DVD because I want the map data on my PC(s) and not just my device. Some DVD map products are eligible for updates whereas downloads never are. The bottom line is that one pays for the convenience of the download format.

Should I purchase mapping for my GPS on a disc, pre-programmed datacard, or as downloadable content?
(https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={16315fb0-39b2-11de-5dd5-000000000000})

SUSSAMB
09-05-2013, 01:48 PM
Like Stuart I have no issues downloading over wifi or through my router, but it seems this can cause symptons similar to the ones you describe:

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?52425-Garmin-is-a-piece-of-you-know-what/page2

09-05-2013, 02:28 PM
SUSSAMB
Don't know somehow i think that is rather different issue in the link, here download never ever even starts and just hangs on 'calculating' message. Also the link notes he is actualy using the Express for download which i cannot as Garmin doesn't offer me such option.

I have no issues downloading my other maps by Express or MapUpdater - none whatsoever so it's unlikely to be the issue with poor connection quality, what i cannot grasp is why on earth are they using different kind of download software (webbrowser + communicator plugin instead of regular Express or MapUpdater) to handle map downloads for this "download" format, i am 99% positive if either Express or MapUpdater did offer me the newly purchased map in "download" format it would download with no trouble as well... but that's just "if only"

STUARTMW
09-05-2013, 02:39 PM
...what i cannot grasp is why on earth are they using different kind of download software (communicator plugin) to handle map downloads for this "download" format...

The one time I did buy a map in the download format (when Garmin first introduced that option some years ago) I believe it was a direct download. The file you get (gmapsupp.img) is locked to your device so why you can't just get the file directly I don't know.

Again it might be a .NET issue on your particular machine. I'd try another if possible.

SUSSAMB
09-05-2013, 02:50 PM
SUSSAMB
Don't know somehow i think that is rather different issue in the link, here download never ever even starts and just hangs on 'calculating' message. Also the link notes he is actualy using the Express for download which i cannot as Garmin doesn't offer me such option.

I have no issues downloading my other maps by Express or MapUpdater - none whatsoever so it's unlikely to be the issue with poor connection quality, what i cannot grasp is why on earth are they using different kind of download software (webbrowser + communicator plugin instead of regular Express or MapUpdater) to handle map downloads for this "download" format, i am 99% positive if either Express or MapUpdater did offer me the newly purchased map in "download" format it would download with no trouble as well... but that's just "if only"

Well his download was 'hanging', so is yours. If you're able to try a direct connection it might be worth a try.

Capt_Chaos
09-07-2013, 01:14 PM
I'm trying the "clone" method to download my newly purchased USA map but website try's to update the s/w on my "device" and downloads file GUPDATE.GCD onto my SD card Garmin folder then fails:-)

ADBUCK
09-07-2013, 02:21 PM
To use the cloning method for a map update, you need to apply the latest software updates to your real device before you copy GarminDevice.xml over to the SD card. Use Webupdater to update the software.

As an alternative, you can try to edit your copy of GarminDevice.xml on the SD card with something like Wordpad. You will find a tag something like this: <SoftwareVersion>470</SoftwareVersion>. Note that the decimal point is not included in the version number. Change this to the current version for your device. Then the map update on the cloned SD card should proceed without trying to update first.

09-12-2013, 12:40 PM
So after more then 2 weeks of waiting and trying out different systems/browsers/machines ------ none of which changed a damn thing about my download issue ---- and trying to get a single response from Garmin support - without success. I have made a trip to the nearest local Czech Garmin provider where technician after an hour or so finally concluded what i suspected from the start --> that all this is really Garmin server side issue - as he failed to download the map as well, having all the resources and knowhow.

However since he was very sensible and kind he fixed me up with the older version of the map they had stored locally, so big up to him!!:)

- As far as i can tell this was not their cockup and they could have as well send me on my way to deal with completely blatant and non-responding official support where i purchased the product originally.

Bottom line is:

The paid for map product is still not working.
The official Garmin email support is nonexistent as far as i can tell, even just admitting the servers are corrupt - or whatever is causing the issue would have saved me a considerable amount of effort. :mad:

So much for the product purchased straight from the manufacturer based on his own marketing and recommendation .... oh the shame, the shame

SUSSAMB
09-13-2013, 12:00 AM
Well given that many of us have downloaded map updates etc I guess your technician having failed is simply blaming Garmin to save face :)

09-13-2013, 02:39 AM
Well given that many of us have downloaded map updates etc I guess your technician having failed is simply blaming Garmin to save face :)

So can i with my previous product in non-download format,

but the fact remains, judging from this forum thread alone, maps in download format via webrowser+plugin have some serious issues.
Is absolutely no valid reason for download-format map to be restricted to broken interface. They would surely work with Map Installer or Express, but Garmin won't allow that, this alone in my eyes points to badly chosen policies or if you will -> server side issue.

The technical fault at Garmin servers or at the very least their restrictive policy in regards to download/installation process after all many people here been through remains to be the most logical explanation. Now if you cannot admit that, than you're just trolling around. Garmin should really consider paying you (if they are not doing so already) for constantly insisting that "it's always some magical customers fault"
oh yeah after all, you are right it is my fault for buying this piece of garbage in the first place :cool:

09-13-2013, 10:55 AM
Hmm funny enough just got an email from Garmin UK support after week of waiting:

Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe.

We are currently aware of an issue with the City Navigator<sup>®</sup> North America NT - Lower 49 States download where the screen is sticking at the calculation stage.

We are working on a solution to correct the issue you are having.

Pretty vague but at least something. At this rate i might get a paid for map by Christmas.