PDA

View Full Version : 310XT Experience in a Small Pool?

STULINCOLN
08-12-2009, 11:37 AM
I am looking at the 310XT as I am interested in running some Triathlons and this would seem a better solution than my current FR305. A good percentage of my swimming training will take place in my own 32ft long pool. My question is, does anyone have any swims on the 310XT in a pool this size? I am wondering how accurate it becomes (ie if you don't stop at the end before turning, will it pick up the full length)
Thanks

Stu

DW152
08-12-2009, 12:30 PM
I don't think it would work very well to track your swimming. I've used my 310xt swimming outdoors, and since it didn't get very good GPS signal, the measured distance was very inaccurate. Swimming indoors would be even worse. Also, the HRM doesn't work underwater.

STULINCOLN
08-12-2009, 12:35 PM
it would still be outdoors (up in NJ, so perhaps no later than early October though :confused:) no too worried about the heart rate. It's either this or have my wife walk up and down the pool beside me with my 305 on her arm ;)

Thanks

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
08-12-2009, 02:24 PM
There is no guarantee that the GPS will work in the water. Never has been. But surely, you need only measure the length of the pool once. And that can be done from the pool edge.

Yes it would be nice to be able to record the distance, but does not seem possible currently.

KANSAIBEN
08-12-2009, 10:38 PM
I've tested this in a 50 meter outdoor pool. On my wrist the data was unusable. Under a swim cap still no good. The swim cap method, however, works great open water, wrist, so-so. This was only a test though to see how it would work. Aside from keeping track of your total distance for data tracking, the feedback you get between the walls and lane clock is really more than adequate. GTC allows manual entry of your distance, GC will soon, and many of the 3rd party options already do too.

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
08-13-2009, 01:28 AM
Would you show/tell me how to manually enter distance into GTC please?

FRISWIZ
08-13-2009, 06:50 AM
I am also a triathlete and have tested the 310xt in a 25 meter pool. I agree that the distances seem unusable. The one thing I wanted help with was counting laps on long swims. Since I know the distance of the pool, laps is all I need to track. I tried different combinations and this one gave me nearly accurate data. I went to the Auto lap feature and set it to Start and Lap. On the first lap, I hit the start button and at the other end of the pool, I hit the lap button. This marked both ends of the pool and it seemed to give me a pretty accurate reading. I will do more experiementing tommorrow and have a long open water swim scheduled for Sunday. I'll report back what I find out.
Mike H.

NDURANCERIDER
08-13-2009, 07:11 AM
You can manually add an activity to Training Center by right clicking the folder (Running, Biking, Other) and choosing New Activity.

https://forums.garmin.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=198&stc=1&d=1250169057

https://forums.garmin.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=199&stc=1&d=1250169096

April

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
08-13-2009, 02:32 PM
Thanks for showing how to enter activities into GTC - never looked to do that as only ever used GTC as back up data store. But the question still remains as to how you add/correct distance to an activity.

Using the 310 for swimming only yields time. How do I add distance to that activity when loaded into GTC?

I've looked around GTC on both Mac and PC and cannot see how to do that.

KANSAIBEN
08-13-2009, 03:18 PM
You can't manually add/edit the distance to the activity uploaded from your watch (at least not yet), but if you've got the time, that's really all you'll get from that activity anyhow so might as well delete it from GTC and use the time you recorded to create a new manual activity where you add the other info.

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
08-13-2009, 03:27 PM
<SNIP...GTC allows manual entry of your distance, GC will soon, and many of the 3rd party options already do too.

You can't manually add/edit the distance to the activity uploaded from your watch (at least not yet), .

That's cleared up now! And you can't add activities in the Mac version of GTC

SONNYSIDER82
01-05-2010, 01:48 PM
Does anyone have have any updated thoughts on the above discussion or found a workaround?

I got my 310xt yesterday and have yet to try in out in the pool.

I intend to use it in a similar way to FRISWIZ and manually record my lap times by pressing the lap button every 25 metres. However if I manually added this whole activity to GTC (60 lap times) so I could record distance information as well if would take forever!!!

I have come up with a rather longwinded solution that I think will work...
- Upload the time data from the 310xt to GTC
- Export to Desktop as TCX file
- Edit the TCX file in Notepad and replace all
<DistanceMeters>0.0000000</DistanceMeters>
with
<DistanceMeters>25.0000000</DistanceMeters>
- Change the Total Distance at the top to
<DistanceMeters>1500.0000000</DistanceMeters>
- Save and import back into GTC or wherever you want it.

Voilą! I have my lap times against distance.

Has anyone discovered a better/easier way?

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
01-05-2010, 02:02 PM
Does anyone have have any updated thoughts on the above discussion or found a workaround?

I got my 310xt yesterday and have yet to try in out in the pool.

I intend to use it in a similar way to FRISWIZ and manually record my lap times by pressing the lap button every 25 metres. However if I manually added this whole activity to GTC (60 lap times) so I could record distance information as well if would take forever!!!

- Upload the time data from the 310xt to GTC
- Export to Desktop as TCX file
- Edit the TCX file in Notepad and replace all
<DistanceMeters>0.0000000</DistanceMeters>
with
<DistanceMeters>25.0000000</DistanceMeters>
- Change the Total Distance at the top to
<DistanceMeters>1500.0000000</DistanceMeters>
- Save and import back into GTC or wherever you want it.

Voilą! I have my lap times against distance.

I would seriously consider looking at 100m laps :D

In the pool we work off time. So we would set say 20x100s on 1:50 as a workout. That means the total time for the interval including rest is 1:50.
You can do this with 25m - 60 x 25m on 25s. This is normal practice for intervals in the pool. We know how far we have swum in total including warming up and colling down, and have the main body of the swim recorded as the title.

Ok the distance information is not in the activity data, but you know the distance interval you were timing against. In GC you can input the main function of the activity for future reference - ie 80x25m on 0:25s

WAGNELL
01-06-2010, 08:00 PM

I have just recently come up a similar "solution" which I provided on another thread (input swim distance (http://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=2834)) refer here (https://forums.garmin.com/showpost.php?p=21374&postcount=10)

Note, you need to delete the existing activity before importing it back in.

If there is a better way I'd also be keen to know.