PDA

View Full Version : Setting FTP on the Edge 500

SHORELOCAL
04-04-2010, 01:05 PM
Anyone know how to set the FTP value in the Edge 500 so that it sets up the correct power zones?

AMAFERANGA
04-04-2010, 02:04 PM
You can enter your ftp and power zones in Garmin Connect and send them to your device.

SHORELOCAL
04-04-2010, 02:54 PM
Thanks ... never thought about doing this in Connect. :)

RACINGHEART
04-04-2010, 05:06 PM
Thanks ... never thought about doing this in Connect. :)
Yup, being forced to go to Garmin Connect to change values like this rather than having the option to edit directly from the unit is a pet peeve of mine. Even having to do things via Training Center is lousy, but in this case, even Training Center is useless!

WHAREAGLE2000
05-03-2010, 07:55 AM
I agree with Racingheart - I popped on to the forum after several days of trying to find the answer, and came upon what must have been an older comment by him, which led me to the garmin.com website. The problem is, the whole process is obscure, from hiding the power zones drop down button, to the greyed-out "send to device'. Furthermore, surely Garmin could work with Trainingpeaks/WKO+ and the other hard-drive-based analysis programs to allow for editing via their software and a USB cable.

I won't even go in to begging for on-screen TSS, IF, PNorm and Skiba's equivalents, or even per-interval PNorm, which was one reason it was invented by Coggan, only now to be put to use via the Joule.

Setting zones is a nuisance, Garmin. Allow the owner to do that offline, please.

WACOMME
05-04-2010, 05:39 PM
I agree 100%.

I agree with Racingheart - I popped on to the forum after several days of trying to find the answer, and came upon what must have been an older comment by him, which led me to the garmin.com website. The problem is, the whole process is obscure, from hiding the power zones drop down button, to the greyed-out "send to device'. Furthermore, surely Garmin could work with Trainingpeaks/WKO+ and the other hard-drive-based analysis programs to allow for editing via their software and a USB cable.

I won't even go in to begging for on-screen TSS, IF, PNorm and Skiba's equivalents, or even per-interval PNorm, which was one reason it was invented by Coggan, only now to be put to use via the Joule.

Setting zones is a nuisance, Garmin. Allow the owner to do that offline, please.

SMHAGGER707
05-04-2010, 09:08 PM
Ditto! Is it too much to ask to be able to program a workout based on power figures from Garmin Connect or GTC? In this 'backward case', the only way to accomplish this is to do it via the actual Edge 500 unit-what a time-consuming process! :mad:

RACINGHEART
05-04-2010, 09:40 PM
Ditto! Is it too much to ask to be able to program a workout based on power figures from Garmin Connect or GTC? In this 'backward case', the only way to accomplish this is to do it via the actual Edge 500 unit-what a time-consuming process! :mad:
Actually, my original gripe was the fact that you cannot edit your FTP value on the road, directly from the 500. Instead, you are required to have an internet connection so you can log into a Garmin Connect account in order to change a single 3-digit number! I have a similar complaint about not being able to enter GPS coordinates for an elevation point -- you actually have to be physically standing in the exact spot where you want to add an Elevation Point. Thus, you can't create one ahead of time from the comfort of your sofa beforehand. These are both things you can do with the 705.

Anyway, to address your complaint, simply use SportTracks with the Garmin Fitness plugin. Works great, and you can even set it up to use Coggan Power Levels instead of Garmin's. The only problem is that it takes a little while to get used to the user interface. I create my power workouts and save them to my computer. From there, I can then drag-and-drop them into my 500 (NewFiles folder) or the Workout folder of my 705. I gave up on that soft of functionality being added to GTC a long time ago.

SMHAGGER707
05-05-2010, 06:51 AM
Can I use SportTracks on a Mac?

Actually, my original gripe was the fact that you cannot edit your FTP value on the road, directly from the 500. Instead, you are required to have an internet connection so you can log into a Garmin Connect account in order to change a single 3-digit number! I have a similar complaint about not being able to enter GPS coordinates for an elevation point -- you actually have to be physically standing in the exact spot where you want to add an Elevation Point. Thus, you can't create one ahead of time from the comfort of your sofa beforehand. These are both things you can do with the 705.

Anyway, to address your complaint, simply use SportTracks with the Garmin Fitness plugin. Works great, and you can even set it up to use Coggan Power Levels instead of Garmin's. The only problem is that it takes a little while to get used to the user interface. I create my power workouts and save them to my computer. From there, I can then drag-and-drop them into my 500 (NewFiles folder) or the Workout folder of my 705. I gave up on that soft of functionality being added to GTC a long time ago.

RACINGHEART
05-05-2010, 12:09 PM
Can I use SportTracks on a Mac?
Sorry, I didn't know you were on a Mac. Unfortunately, I think currently the only way is via Parallels or VMWare Fusion, not what you want to hear, I know. I am primarily a Mac user as well, but had to purchase a PC laptop a few years ago for work purposes (before Macs went to Intel chips) so basically I'll use it for apps like WKO+, SportTracks, etc. which don't have a native Mac version.

Now that Garmin has the 500 alongside the 705, maybe they'll actually deem it worthwhile to add power targets to their Workout functionality. Their release notes for GTC actually seem to infer that it supports power (both in workouts and in setting FTP), but in reality I think there was some miscommunication between the sw department and the documentation/release notes team! :o

SMHAGGER707
05-12-2010, 04:19 PM
Anyone want to join me in requesting that this feature gets added to GTC? Please add request reply in this thread:

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=8072

Thanks, :D

RACINGHEART
05-12-2010, 07:09 PM
Anyone want to join me in requesting that this feature gets added to GTC? Please add request reply in this thread:

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=8072

Thanks, :D
Yeah, adding it to GTC would be more convenient than having to log into GC, but what I would like is to be able to edit it directly from one of the 500's menus, just like you can edit your HR max or Custom Wheel circumference directly.

ANDRE77AB
05-13-2010, 02:13 AM

I totally agree!