PDA

View Full Version : Can no longer Send To Garmin GPS from Google Maps

DLEIGH32
02-08-2014, 10:51 PM
My apologies if this is where this should be posted here or not, it was the closest I could find, but I know this impacts a lot of Garmin users who export maps from Google Maps to their GPS devices.

I have routinuely sent maps from Google Maps on my PC using the "Send To" feature to my Garmin Nuvi. A feature that Garmin does support and even has documentation about it:

http://my.garmin.com/locate/google-sendtoGPSHelp.htm

Today I had tried to do the same thing I had done dozens of times and could not get it to work for anything. It was like my browser could not see my device even though I could see it listed as a Garmin drive in My Computer folder, and see it was connected in the Garmin Express tool, You could even hear the "connection tone" on my PC once I pulled it into the USB. I tired in vain for about an hour to get my GPS to show in the "Send To" box making sure all Garmin software was up to date, and that Communicator Browser Plugin was installed.

After getting nowhere I did a web search on the problem and found out that as of a couple of days ago Google no longer supports the "Send To" feature for Garmin GPS devices. Below is their response:

"Unfortunately, the Send-to-GPS feature is no longer available for Garmin. However, the Send-to-Car feature remains available for many car brands on classic Google Maps." https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/maps/9QEvVngzWaQ/CT9OwaADOZgJ

JAYMIS20@GMAIL.COM
03-15-2014, 10:11 AM
This is very sad. It was super useful, I was loaning my friend my garmin and wanted to show them how easy it was to go from my gmaps to my garmin and then the function is gone. A quick work around is you can still get the coordinates from gmaps and manual enter them. Not nearly as good, easy or convenient, hence work around.

STEVESTAINER@YAHOO.COM
03-30-2014, 09:47 AM
Mapquest seems to work.

RODSGARMINONE
03-31-2014, 09:09 PM
Mapquest seems to work.

Yes. I now use it to enter locations into my Garmin GPS. Up to 4 or 5 at a time. Many times Garmin doesn't locate the address via the device (Garmin 3590) but Mapquest (and before that Google Maps) will always identify the location. Wish I knew why Google stopped this service. I'm sure it is to drive users to their Android platform. What a shame.

RXCAPASSO
04-04-2014, 06:03 PM
I find that their Android system is not nearly as reliable as my dedicated Garmin. Although it will take a little effort to enter the address or coordinates, It will be much more useful to me than to try to use Google Maps on a flakey $700+ "Swiss Army Knife" Android phone that keeps dropping the satellite signals.

ANONYMOUS6969
04-09-2014, 03:36 PM
HERE IS A "SOLUTION".

Before I post the solution, let me state here that Garmin staff is lazy and does not care about user experience when it comes to convenience adding points of interest via Internet. This is important as hell because milions of Garmin users wish this features and it's simply not acceptable that you can't use Google Maps along with your Garmin GPS. This is bullsh*t piled 5 miles high.

Alright, now to the solution. I found this thread on Google and the user STEVESTAINER@YAHOO.COM said MapQuest worked. This gave me an excellent idea.
You can continue to use Google Maps to locate and determine the points, and then you'll easily send these points via MapQuest. It's very easy!

Get the coordinates from Google Maps:
http://lookpic.com/O/i2/303/4UxQtuqr.png

Copy the second coordinate format shown above, paste and search it on MapQuest:
http://lookpic.com/O/i2/1890/h7bshLPo.png

Continues...

ANONYMOUS6969
04-09-2014, 03:37 PM
Go to "Send" and chose "Garmin GPS":
http://lookpic.com/O/i2/727/7eM9j9JZ.png

Select your device and hit Send:
http://lookpic.com/O/i2/388/RThkhyJT.png

There you go,
http://lookpic.com/O/i2/424/RsJkMeQZ.png

ANONYMOUS6969
04-09-2014, 03:47 PM
Garmin, seriously, take some of your profit and put some people to work on this. My god, this feature isn't even a big project.
I'm buying a new GPS next year, and if I don't see Google Maps working with Garmin Communicator till the end of 2014 I'll never buy your GPSes again and I will speak badly of your devices to all my acquaintances and will recommend other brands instead.

NIETZSCHE66
04-15-2014, 07:27 PM
WHY is it no longer available??

SUSSAMB
04-16-2014, 12:31 AM
You're all shooting at the wrong barrel ... Google withdrew it, nothing to do with Garmin.

GARMIN@DIGITALCODY.COM
04-18-2014, 02:24 AM
This wouldn't be a big deal if BaseCamp wasn't an astronomical pain in the butt to search in.

SUSSAMB
04-18-2014, 02:28 AM
Basecamp 4.3 should be far better for searching if the beta is anything to go by.

LJANDERSON
04-21-2014, 07:39 PM
Mapquest seems to work.

thanks for that tip. unfortunately, it seems that from MapQuest, you can't save "the name" of the location i.e. The White House, only the address, i.e. 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. That's okay if the location is the only one in the city your are headed to, but if there are multiple addresses in the city, you still need to record that somewhere to look-up. Perhaps, someone from MapQuest will notice this thread and add that feature. It might help put them back on top in the mapping world.

thanks again for the tip though.

BOB.DAVIS@WIBBLE.NET.NZ
04-22-2014, 01:05 AM
Yes its google that withdrew it, perhaps they want us all to use an android device not a Garmin, so surely Garmin can provide a solution, be it a website skin for google maps ? an app for our desktops ? something to make journey planning as simple as google maps used to be ! really missing that feature ..

BOB.DAVIS@WIBBLE.NET.NZ
04-22-2014, 01:10 AM
i have just seen they do have "MapSource®" thought it is unclear how you get it without buy a map on DVD ? never been offered a map on DVD .. and the real kicker its only for PC and i use a Mac.. could run it in a windoze vm if i could get this software from somewhere .. but wonder ifg it has as much business and location info as google maps ?? anyone tried this product ?

SUSSAMB
04-22-2014, 01:16 AM
Mapsource is available here http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209 for those who still wish to use it. Note it's only as good as the maps installed on your PC (or mac if you can get it to run using windoze)

MARYKAYW
04-28-2014, 05:28 AM
I quickly scanned the posts in this thread and didn't see this, so I hope I'm not repeating something someone else has already pointed out, but you can revert back to Classic Google Maps and the 'send' feature is still there.

SSUTER
05-14-2014, 07:30 PM
Hahaha...Google Maps doesn't want to admit they really blew it? The new Google maps is a disaster. At first I was told that IE was not supported by Communicator Plug In so I loaded Firefox. That worked a couple of weeks ago from Google Maps. Now I can't get IE, Firefox or Google Chrome to recognize my Garmin. Base Camp and Mapsource don't point to the correct waypoints. If you have up to date maps and key the address into your Garmin it works fine...at least it did for me. It's a little tedious but this good old fashioned way of manipulating way points at least seems to work. Good luck.

GREENBOMB101
05-24-2014, 11:05 PM
Unless I am mistaken somehow, MapQuest no longer has the "Send" feature to Garmin GPS.

SUSSAMB
05-25-2014, 02:20 AM
Are you trying this method:

1) Plug your nuvi in to the computer and go to www.mapquest.com.
2) Click on Get Directions. Put in your starting address as point A and your final destination as point B. Click Get Directions and Mapquest will calculate a default route and show it on the map with a blue line.
3) Add shaping points. This is basically done with "rubber banding" the blue route line. Zoom in on an area where you want to shape the route, grab the blue line, drag it to a road segment you want your route to pass through, and drop it on the road. This will put a red dot at this point and redraw the blue route line through it. Do this with each desired shaping point until the route is the way you want it.
4) Change the shaping points to "Stops". For each red dot on your route, right click on it and select "Make it a route stop" on the Mapquest pop-up menu. This step turns the shaping points into via's that will be recognized by the nuvi.
5) Send the route to the nuvi. On the Mapquest menu select Send > Garmin GPS > Route. Enter a file name for the .GPX file, select your nuvi and press Send.
6) Import route. Safely remove your nuvi from the computer, boot it up. On newer nuvi's with Trip Planner, wait a few minutes and your transferred route should be recognized automatically and show up as a trip in the Trip menu. On older nuvi's with Custom Routes, go to Tools > My Data > Import route from file. Select the file you sent from Mapquest, let it calculate and save it.

JAZZYRIDER
06-24-2014, 09:23 AM
Not sure if Garmin is responsible, or if its Google, but now the Send To function only lists cars. I tried different browsers, Safari, IE, Chrome, and Firefox-- none of these show GPS devices. I even added "garmin" and tried to see if it worked, but no dice. 19158

Anyone have a solution? I've sent a support problem to Google. Does Garmin need to step in and also inquire to why Google dropped this feature??

ADBUCK
06-24-2014, 11:02 AM
It's Google. Route transfer still works with Mapquest.com.

RINGAI
06-27-2014, 11:58 AM

Anyone have a solution? I've sent a support problem to Google. Does Garmin need to step in and also inquire to why Google dropped this feature??

I have the solution. Drop Google maps and begin using Mapquest. Google just doesn't give a rat's backside about anyone who disagree's with their product decisions.

I've been using google since their search engine was first announced on USENET way back in the beginning of time. Now I'm dropping google services and shifting my business to companies that aren't overbearing and arrogant. Hell, even Microsoft is beginning to be more appealing than Google. Especially since they've begun paying attention to privacy concerns.

HROSEN50
06-27-2014, 02:13 PM
I can send from MapQuest to my Garmin 660. However, it does not send the custom map I just created. Rather, it sends point-to-point faster route. Is there a way around this? Thanks.

ADBUCK
06-27-2014, 02:27 PM
You can't send maps, but you can send multipoint routes. The trick in Mapquest is to make each shaping point or via point into a "route stop". You do this by right clicking on the point and selecting "Make it a stop" on the pop-up menu.

Note that route import only works on devices that support it (Custom Routes or Trip Planner). You identified your unit as a "Garmin 660". If that model refers to the nuvi line, the old nuvi 6xx series does not support route import.

STEVEFRAYNE
06-28-2014, 06:05 PM
I've got a different problem that I've been trying to solve with any on-line mapping program. I'm travelling to an island off Vancouver Island. You get there by ferry and, yes, there are roads all over these islands. The North American map doesn't show anything at all on these islands. How do you get road details in a case like this? Any ideas? Thanks

STEVEFRAYNE
06-28-2014, 06:32 PM
Okay. I feel stupid. Just had to zoom way in. If I could retract my first I would....