PDA

View Full Version : 310XT Wide Release Date

MPLSMIKEY
07-22-2009, 02:52 PM
Can someone at Garmin tell us when the actual, official wide release for the 310XT will be. I've read on several forums, through anecdotal evidence, that the official date has now been pushed back a few times... with the most recent rumor being that the 310XT won't be available until Aug. 20.

Also, by "wide release," I mean when it is available everywhere. Like the date I can go to my local running store and actually hold the thing... and the date that I can go to Amazon or REI and order one without much more than a week's wait. I don't mean the slow trickle of units that have already been purchased by a few individuals on a variety of less-than-mainstream websites does not count (i.e. 10 units from Road Runner or TigerGPS is not a "wide release," it's a beta test).

I was/am really excited about the 310XT, but if I have to wait another full month to get it, I will probably just get an old 305 or a 405, and that will make me sad.

Thanks,
Mike

MARKAZ3
07-22-2009, 03:35 PM
Ran with it last night, uploaded all the data no problem. Going to go swimming with it tonight!

DW152
07-22-2009, 05:38 PM
I don't have the answer to your specific question. However, I did get mine from REI. I had ordered it in late May. I received several emails from them telling me that it was going to be delayed, and the dates kept changing, but then it suddenly appeared in my mailbox in mid-June. So, it might be worth a try to put an order in to REI. If you don't receive it my your self-imposed deadline, then cancel the order and buy a 305.

SEILOGRAMP
07-23-2009, 08:28 AM
I bought mine from Running Center (http://www.runningcenters.com/products/product.aspx?pid=54-55-6663) back on June 3rd. They had "limited" stock, so I got lucky. They shortly ran out, but it looks like they are back to limited supply status.

MPLSMIKEY
07-23-2009, 10:33 AM
I don't have the answer to your specific question. However, I did get mine from REI. I had ordered it in late May. I received several emails from them telling me that it was going to be delayed, and the dates kept changing, but then it suddenly appeared in my mailbox in mid-June. So, it might be worth a try to put an order in to REI. If you don't receive it my your self-imposed deadline, then cancel the order and buy a 305.

Thanks DW (and to all the others who replied). REI usually is pretty good about keeping people informed, so I may have to check them out. I'm still deciding whether the 310XT is worth the money for me, or whether I should ease in slowly and get a 305 or 405. I'm a gadget geek, so I always think I need the newest and the best, but it usually isn't the case.

SEILOGRAMP
07-23-2009, 10:44 AM
I'm still deciding whether the 310XT is worth the money for me, or whether I should ease in slowly and get a 305 or 405.

With the 305 @ $162 at Amazon, maybe less some other places, makes the easy 310 decision not so easy, unless your "gadget geekness" has gotten the better of you. Are you a swimmer, cyclist, runner, all of the above?

MPLSMIKEY
07-23-2009, 12:55 PM
With the 305 @ $162 at Amazon, maybe less some other places, makes the easy 310 decision not so easy, unless your "gadget geekness" has gotten the better of you. Are you a swimmer, cyclist, runner, all of the above?

I'm primarily a runner, although I envision using this some next summer on biking trips with the family (I have an 11 month old son right now and we don't have a biking trailer for him yet, so biking trips are out for now). If I got the 310, I would probably use it for swimming and pool running this winter, but since I'm not a triathelete and don't plan on becoming one, the waterproof aspect of the 310 isn't a huge selling feature for me.

The 310 is attractive to me over the 305 for the following reasons:
(a) battery life - although I don't plan on doing any ultra races or anything, just having a 20 hour batter so I don't have to recharge it as often is a nice plus
(b) size & weight - although the overall dimensions of the 310 aren't much smaller than the 305, the incorporation of the GPS antenna into the body of the watch makes it at least look a lot less bulky
(c) better calorie/heart rate monitoring - I'm sure the 305's HRM is perfectly adequate, but the slightly updated HRM of the 310 with the improved calorie calculation is another plus
(d) vibration alerts - I plan on using whatever watch I get for a lot of interval training and threshold training using heart rate zones, but since I normally run with an iPod, vibration alerts as to when I should start the next interval or that I am falling out of a heart rate zone is a nice feature
(e) longer "life" - this is definitely the gadget geek in me, but if I by a newer generation of something, I generally keep it much longer before I replace it. I fear that if I get the 305 now, it will be fine for a year but then something even better will come along that beats out the 310 as well and I'll have to have it. But, if I get the 310 now, I could probably hold off my geekiness for another year or two. In this respect, getting the 310 now could be slightly cheaper in the long term, just much more expensive now.

The other option I am considering is a 405 or a 405CX. I know people who are used to the 305 hate the 405's bezel design, but since I'm used to nothing I figure my learning curve would be roughly the same to both. I also like the smaller size of the 405. I was already leaning toward the 405CX because of the improved calorie counting and the 2 wrist bands, but the price difference between the 405CX and the 310 is so close, I figured why not get the slightly updated feature set of the 310.

Any and all advice is appreciated

DW152
07-23-2009, 01:26 PM
If I got the 310, I would probably use it for swimming and pool running this winter, but since I'm not a triathelete and don't plan on becoming one, the waterproof aspect of the 310 isn't a huge selling feature for me.

I don't think the 310 would work that great in the pool. I wore mine during an open water swim in a triathlon, and the distance was way off, so your results in an an indoor pool would be even worse. Other people have reported similar poor results. Garmin doesn't claim that it will provide an accurate distance while swimmng, so I didn't expect it to and therefore I wasn't disappointed. My HRM also didn't work while swimming. If you want to time your swim intervals, use a pace clock at the pool or get yourself a cheap Timex ironman. Having said that, one advantage of the 310 being waterproof is that you can run in the rain without worry.

All your other reasons are good. I would also add that the 310 feels more solid. I think it has more metal in its construction, whereas the 305 is almost all plastic. Whether it's worth roughly twice the cost of the 305 will be your decision.

KANSAIBEN
07-23-2009, 02:46 PM
The 405cx is a decent device but there are other tradeoffs besides the bezel (which some actually like). The 405CX has more limited navigation features than the 305/310 (nice for planning some of those bike trips in uncharted areas), switching between sports is more complicated on the 405CX and not all settings are sport specific like on the 305/310. Battery life is also shorter on the 405CX. The size of the 405, however, is very nice, and generally a not-so-geeky day watch. Wireless capabilities of the 405CX will also be a plus over the 305 for some users and as you've stated, the calorie computation of the 405CX is an improvemnt on the basic capabilites of the 305 (although the 305 in conjunction with a new leaf profile is better than the first beat calculations --both the 405/310 can also use a new leaf profile however). The 405 also makes some improvemnts on its interaction with the footpod accessory over the 305 (GPS calibration, ability to choose GPS or pod as speed source, auto-switching to footpod as speed/distance source if GPS drops out).

Personally, if I had to rank the three devices I'd go 310CX, 305, 405CX but that's because I'm a multi-sport athlete foremost, really like the advanced naviagtion capabilities, don't track calories, REALLY like that I can get up to four data fields per screen on the 310/05 and the functionality of the first two units trumps the looks of the 405 for me at the moment. Hard to leave the bezel out of the conversation on ranking, however, because it's also a factor for me as I'm really not a fan and I'd really like the unit much much more without the bezel (in fact, I'm really enjoying using a FR60 at the moment too, which goes back to the standard use of buttons in its design and IMO can in a number of ways give a 405 a nice run for its money).

SEILOGRAMP
07-23-2009, 03:08 PM
Any and all advice is appreciated

Rather than rehash my thoughts here, you may want to check out this conversation (https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=105) that was recently ported over from the MB forum. My point of view is from a 205/305 user moving to the 310XT. Some 405 users have also added their perspective.

MPLSMIKEY
07-23-2009, 04:39 PM
The 405cx is a decent device but there are other tradeoffs besides the bezel (which some actually like). The 405CX has more limited navigation features than the 305/310 (nice for planning some of those bike trips in uncharted areas), switching between sports is more complicated on the 405CX and not all settings are sport specific like on the 305/310. Battery life is also shorter on the 405CX. The size of the 405, however, is very nice, and generally a not-so-geeky day watch. Wireless capabilities of the 405CX will also be a plus over the 305 for some users and as you've stated, the calorie computation of the 405CX is an improvemnt on the basic capabilites of the 305 (although the 305 in conjunction with a new leaf profile is better than the first beat calculations --both the 405/310 can also use a new leaf profile however). The 405 also makes some improvemnts on its interaction with the footpod accessory over the 305 (GPS calibration, ability to choose GPS or pod as speed source, auto-switching to footpod as speed/distance source if GPS drops out).

For me, the lack of navigation features of the 405 isn't a big deal at all. I generally only run in known areas, or at least ones where I know the general layout of the surrounding streets and landmarks. I'm buying the watch to help me train for upcoming races, I don't need it to tell me where to go.

Similarly, the difficulty switching between sports is also not a big downside to me either, since I will use it almost exclusively for running.

Shorter battery life is a downside, but not a huge one. I can recharge frequently, I just don't want to have to.

Size and comfort are a big deal to me. I don't care if it doesn't look stylish but I do care if I notice it while I'm running. I know I'll get used to whatever I get, but I don't want to have to get used to too much.

Wireless capability is a nice feature, but not that crucial to me, I don't think plugging a watch into a USB port to upload is that big of a hassle. I know I would prefer the wireless, but I don't know how much more I'd be willing to spend for it.

Improved calorie counting is nice because I'm also trying to lose weight (one of the reasons I started running in the first place), and it would be nice to have somewhat accurate estimates of what I am burning. But, I may have overemphasized it as a factor for me. This too is a minor plus.

Initially I didn't think the improved interaction between the foot pod and the watch of the 405 and 310 was a big factor for me since I won't be getting the foot pod initially (I generally run in very open areas, so I'm not that worried about satellite interruption), and I would only get the foot pod at all if I start getting weird results on the GPS or until winter when I have to run on a treadmill again.

Personally, if I had to rank the three devices I'd go 310CX, 305, 405CX but that's because I'm a multi-sport athlete foremost, really like the advanced naviagtion capabilities, don't track calories, REALLY like that I can get up to four data fields per screen on the 310/05 and the functionality of the first two units trumps the looks of the 405 for me at the moment. Hard to leave the bezel out of the conversation on ranking, however, because it's also a factor for me as I'm really not a fan and I'd really like the unit much much more without the bezel (in fact, I'm really enjoying using a FR60 at the moment too, which goes back to the standard use of buttons in its design and IMO can in a number of ways give a 405 a nice run for its money).

Do you think your rankings would change much at all if you were only a runner, and 3 data fields per screen is fine for you? I really can only imaging needing time, current pace, lap pace (per mile), total distance, and eventually something with heart rate during my runs. I don't plan on looking at the watch much while running (I do want all the data I can get to analyze and improve planning between runs, but during a run I'm too focused on putting one foot in front of the other). The problems with the bezel aren't really that scary to me either because I've heard from many that once you are used to it, they like it a lot and because I'll probably lock the bezel during runs anyway.

KANSAIBEN
07-24-2009, 10:28 AM
Do you think your rankings would change much at all if you were only a runner, and 3 data fields per screen is fine for you? I really can only imaging needing time, current pace, lap pace (per mile), total distance, and eventually something with heart rate during my runs. I don't plan on looking at the watch much while running (I do want all the data I can get to analyze and improve planning between runs, but during a run I'm too focused on putting one foot in front of the other). The problems with the bezel aren't really that scary to me either because I've heard from many that once you are used to it, they like it a lot and because I'll probably lock the bezel during runs anyway.

It's possible. Occasionally, I AM only a runner, and training for Boston over the winter/spring I'll admit that the 405 was my default unit and is what I used during the race. There are four data point I like to see regardless though: HR, Pace (either average or lap), distance, and time. I find that for me I get accidental bezel taps which change my screens and sometimes modes (I've got small wrists so the watch tends to slide down my wrist and interact with my hands--sweat and winter clothing also causes some problems for me too) so I need to run with the bezel locked. Not ideal when I need to change screens to see the data points I generally want. My solution (compromise) was to utilize the auto-scroll feature while the bezel was locked. Set up like this I did prefer the smaller size of the 405 when running and wore the watch as my daily watch too. I also don't tend to need the advanced navigation features when running and the times when I used the watch to mark a waypoint (find my car in a parking lot, etc.) the compass directions were enough for me.

If I replaced the bezel with buttons on this unit, for me personally, my opinion of this unit would go way up, but even as someone who doesn't care for the bezel I do still like this unit overall, and judging from the things you say are important to you, I'd still have no problem recommending this unit.

MPLSMIKEY
07-24-2009, 12:16 PM
If I replaced the bezel with buttons on this unit, for me personally, my opinion of this unit would go way up, but even as someone who doesn't care for the bezel I do still like this unit overall, and judging from the things you say are important to you, I'd still have no problem recommending this unit.

Thanks a lot, Kansaiben. I think I am leaning toward the 405 right now because of the cheaper price tag and smaller size, but depending on what I get for my birthday (I've asked for gift certs to apply toward the purchase), I may spring for the 310XT.

SAEEDI
07-24-2009, 12:53 PM
Thanks a lot, Kansaiben. I think I am leaning toward the 405 right now because of the cheaper price tag and smaller size, but depending on what I get for my birthday (I've asked for gift certs to apply toward the purchase), I may spring for the 310XT.

Happy birthday and wishing you the best on your purchase. REI has the best return policy I know of, so if you should decide you don't like the 405 as much as you thought you would, you can always return and swap for the 310.

SDCYOTE
08-07-2009, 12:42 PM
Any updated info on the release date. I ordered one from Amazon, but it is on hold (even though the website said they were available at the time I ordered.) Anywho, just inquiring into the wide release date.

KAFOLSKE
08-10-2009, 04:55 PM
I had submitted an employee purchase order directly to Garmin in April (via an agreement my employer has with Garmin). I just received notice that my order had been delayed again until September 4th.

I decided to cancel the order. It is the 6th time they had delayed the order. (Early May, End of May, Early June, Mid July, Early August, Early September)