PDA

View Full Version : copy “gmapprom.img” file from the main garmin memory to garmin SD card

MAMOUTHENH2222
03-06-2010, 02:20 AM
I bought Garmin 250W in 2007 with City Navigator Middle East v 4 & City Navigator Europe NT v9 Limited- Deluxe, then I update to 2008, 2009, 2010.

After I upload City Navigator middle east 2010 to my nuvi 250W is working fine now, but it becomes very slow.

I have connect my Garmin to computer and found the used space 1.35GB and Free Space 100MB in the garmin main memory, I found very big size file gmapprom.img.

1st question can I buy new SD card, insert it into my garmin and then copy “gmapprom.img” file from the main garmin memory to garmin SD card then delete the orginal from garmin main memory.
If not;
2nd After I installed City Navigator middle east 2010 on my nuvi 250W can I uninstall it or remove it , buy new SD card, insert it in Garmin unit & then re-installed middle east 2010 map again on SD card. Please help!

KGANSHIRT
03-06-2010, 12:26 PM
Are you using Mapsource to load maps to your Nuvi?

If you are using Mapsource and have all the maps installed in Mapsource, you can use Mapsource to put any combinations of them onto an SD card that you want. You can put only parts of maps. Or you can combine multiple maps if there is space on the card.

...ken...

KGANSHIRT
03-06-2010, 12:28 PM
I don't know if GMAPPROM.IMG will work from an SD card. I've never tested it.

Mapsource creates GMAPSUPP.IMG when it transfers maps to your device. That filename will work from SD card if it is in the \GARMIN folder on the card (where Mapsource puts it).

...ken...

MAMOUTHENH2222
03-12-2010, 04:09 AM
many thanks for your reply... i have email Garmin Customer Support and the reply as follows:
This means you can do either one you want. You can delete the gmapsupp.img file from the main memory if you loaded it there and then re send the maps through Mapsource to the SD card. Now you can also just copy and past the file to the SD card and once it is on the SD card delete the file from the unit.

Again just make sure you do not mess with the gmapprom.img file this one must not be touched. :)

MAMOUTHENH2222
05-12-2010, 06:58 AM
Today I have changed the name of gmapprom.img to gmappromxx.img in the Garmin main memory, I found that the Garmin device was no longer recognized it as a map file, and disappear from the device setting\Map\Map info\Map info list.

Also, I have copied gmapprom.img from main memory to SD card, then I have changed the gmapprom.img name in main memory to gmappromxx.img, the Garmin device did not recognized it as a map file and after I disconnect the device from computer the City Navigator Europe NT v9 Limited- Deluxe disappear from the device setting\Map\Map info\Map info list.

I copied gmapprom.sum from main memory to SD card, then I have changed the gmapprom.sum to gmappromxx.sum in main memory, but no change and the gmapprom.img did not work.

Today test proved that copy “gmapprom.img” file from the Garmin main memory to Garmin SD card will cause in gmapprom.img not working, and that is meant the gmapprom.img file can work from main memory only

Please note that the gmapsupp.img file can work from main memory or from SD card.

Thank you Mr. ken & hope your are well.

KGANSHIRT
05-12-2010, 10:21 PM
Thank you for sharing your testing with the file name from main memory and SD card. I am well. Golf season has begun here so I am very happy. :D

...ken...

MAMOUTHENH2222
01-15-2011, 01:39 PM
I have my garmin main memory become almost full. I plan to change the name of the preload map Navigator Europe NT v9 Limited- Deluxe gmapprom.img (1.35GB) and gmapprom.sum (1 KB) in H:\Garmin\ to gmapsupp.img & gmapsupp.sum.
After that I will move both files to SD card (I:\Garmin\).

The Idea is that to make extra space in the main memory for the new update for my essential map City Navigator Middle East NT 2011 in H:\Garmin.

1st question do you think it will work out.

2nd do I need to change & transfer gmapxxx.sum from main memory to SD card also.

After I change the name & transfer the preload map from main memory, I need to change the name of the existing gmapsupp.img of City Navigator Middle East NT 2011 in H:\Garmin\ to gmapprom.img.
So shall I keep copy of original gmapprom.sum in main memory to make sure that the new file gmapprom.img (which was originally gmapsupp.img) will work out.

I’m sorry if I make it complicated the point is that after moving the preload map file gmapprom.img from main memory and changing the existing gmapsupp.img to gmapprom.img do I still need the gmapprom.sum with it or I have to create new gmapprom.sum to make sure that the new file will work out.:)

KGANSHIRT
01-15-2011, 03:17 PM
Perhaps someone from Garmin can analyze your request and tell if it will work. I don't understand very well how the update process works, e.g. what files it expects to see in which locations before it will do the update. I also do not understand the function of the GMAP*.SUP files. Sorry I can't help.

...ken...

POPEJ.
01-15-2011, 04:20 PM
1. You can delete all *.sum files, they aren't used by nuvi. They are 4-bytes long checksum of similarly named *.img. You can create them again with nuvi diagnostic menu.

2. In main memory of nuvi 250 you can have following maps:
\Garmin\gmapbmap.img - this is base map.
\Garmin\gmapprom.img - this is map preinstalled by Garmin.
\Garmin\gmapprom1.img - this is 2-nd map preinstalled by Garmin.
\Garmin\gmapsupp.img - this is map installed by Mapsource.

You need basemap.img and at least one of other maps. Name is not important for nuvi but file gmapsupp.img can be overwritten by Mapsource and file gmapprom.img can be overwritten by Garmin update. So better do not change names.

3. On your SD card in nuvi 250 you can have only one map: \Garmin\gmapsupp.img

4. You can move gmapprom.img from internal memory to your SD card, but you need to change name into gmapsupp.img. Your preinstalled map can have some files for unlocking in device, this can be *.unl and *.gma files. They probably can stay in main memory. To be sure you can put second copy on SD and rename them to \Garmin\gmapsupp.*

5. Aways make a backup if you are going to delete files from your nuvi. Do not format internal memory, it will brick your GPS.

6. I wouldn't expect any speed increase. It is not file size but map complexity, that gives more work to your nuvi.

MAMOUTHENH2222
01-16-2011, 01:17 AM
Thank you guys. Let us take it step by step.:)

Today I will change the name of the preload map file from gmapprom.img to gmapsupp.img in main memory, and then I will move it to SD card in my nuvi 250W.

After this operation I will have in my SD card I:\Garmin\ gmapsupp.img only (which was originally gmapprom.img in main memory), and gmapprom.sum left in main memory H:\Garmin\.

Now the point :
1. Shall I leave the gmapprom.sum in the main memory without any change.
2. Shall I change the name of gmapprom.sum in the main memory to gmapsupp.sum and then move it to SD card to make sure that the moved gmapsupp.img (originally gmapprom.img).

MAMOUTHENH2222
03-09-2011, 03:30 PM
As I understand, gmapprom.sum isn't needed at all. It contains a checksum that is used to verify the map when it is first installed, and after that it is not used. So, gmapprom.sum can be ignored & left in main memory without any change.

In addition to POPEJ Answer above, this information was confirmed from another forum. :)

PRANAVVARIA@YAHOO.COM
09-25-2011, 08:10 PM
Did anyone successfully move gmapprom.img to SD card? My Nuvi 650 has internal memory of just 1.3GB while the latest map is 1.5GB. I tried moving gmapprom.img + GarminDevice.xml to the SD card (using the same folder structure and remove it from main memory) but the device fails to use that.

MAMOUTHENH2222
09-26-2011, 01:03 PM
Please go back to the first page and see my test posted on 05-12-2010, 06:58AM, which states:
Today test proved that copy “gmapprom.img” file from the Garmin main memory to Garmin SD card will cause in gmapprom.img not working, and that is meant the gmapprom.img file can work from main memory only.

You can install the new map direct to SD card through Mapsource (as gmapsupp.img). Also, you can change the name of gmapprom.img to gmapsupp.img and then move it to SD card.:)

OSTROFF01
09-26-2011, 03:07 PM
I suggest you DO NOT delete gmapprom.img from internal memory, regardless of what else you do. On many of the Nuvi models, if this file is not found then the boot process will hang and you will have a big problem because it happens before the unit mounts as a USB disk. So you cannot complete the boot process, and cannot access it as a disk to make repairs.

Some of the newer models may be more forgiving, but there are many posts across multiple sites where users have "bricked" their Nuvi 200/205/600/700 units by deleting or renaming gmapprom.img.

FACEL
10-13-2011, 03:22 AM
Hello from Germany,
On my nüvi 760 I have maps (Version 2011) of all Europe and Middle east installed in the internal memory. I copied the Europe map 2012 in the internal memory , renamed it to gmapprom.img and it works. When I copy the ME map 2012 to the internal memory or use it from SDCARD it is accepted but when I search a city nothing is shown. If I select a city out of the favorites it works perfect.
As interim Solution I start ME 2011 (also on my SDCARD), look for a place to go, store it as favorite, deactivate the 2011 map, and I start with my previous stored favorite. It works but it is not a comfortable solution.

Can somebody help me solving that problem?
Thanks Alfred

PRANAVVARIA@YAHOO.COM
10-13-2011, 11:39 PM
You need to have gmapprom.img in the main memory. It doesn't matter which map as long as the name is gmapprom.img. You can have the other map on SD card (same folder structure) and call that file as gmapsupp.img. Garmin will pick the map in the main memory by default but if you go to settings you should be able to see both maps in the list with checkboxes so you can pick the one in SD card if you like and uncheck the other one.