PDA

View Full Version : Unable to load custom maps onto Oregon 550 MicroSD

GEORGE@JUNEAUTRAILS.ORG
03-05-2010, 02:38 AM
I have spent the better part of a day trying to get this to work without success ... I hope someone here can help!

We recently bought an Oregon 550 (not the 550t), along with a SanDisk 8GB MicroSD card. When the card is installed and the unit connected to my MacBook Pro, both the Garmin and the MicroSD card appear as disks, and I am able to transfer files to/from both of them.

I got the MicroSD card because I want to load a large amount of aerial photography onto the Oregon. Using Photoshop, I scaled the photos to 1024 x 1024 pixel, non-progressive JPEGs, georeferenced them in Google Earth per Garmin's instructions, and successfully loaded them onto the Garmin's internal memory.

I am also able to load the .kmz files onto the MicroSD card in the Garmin/CustomMaps directory I created, however the Oregon does not recognize them ... it's as if they aren't there at all. When I go into Setup>Map>Select Map, only the basemap is listed. My Custom Maps are nowhere to be found.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance....

WILLBAILEYZ
03-05-2010, 06:35 AM
Also have the same situation, not all my KMZ file show and they are pretty small track overlays

MARTOWL
03-11-2010, 09:40 PM
I have a Dakota 20 and the maps work fine for me. I think that the set ups for the units are very similar. Make sure that your folder hierarchy on the SD card is Garmin/CustomMaps/map of choice.kmz. I initially had a space between the Custom and Maps for the 2nd folder and the unit would not "see" the folder or Custom Map. I am running Snow Leopard 10.6.2

RSAXVC
03-12-2010, 08:50 AM
Have you tried upgrading the device firmware?

OSTROFF01
03-13-2010, 05:10 AM
Check your filenames, the gps doesn't like names with special characters in them. To play it safe, only use letters and numbers in the filenames.

SBENET
03-26-2010, 03:02 AM
Hi,
I have recently bought a garmin oregon 450 and I have exactly the same problem.
Have you found a solution? which one?
Thank you in advance.

SHORTBUSS
03-26-2010, 07:00 AM
Make sure your "CustomMaps" folder doens't have a space between the words. The exact directory should be "\Garmin\CustomMaps".