PDA

View Full Version : Footpod issue

R.MCLACHLAN
08-09-2009, 02:10 PM
I got the footpod to allow for use on a treadmill and as an alternative speed source when outside. I paired the device, set the speed source as Footpod and started the treadmill. The 310 XT looked for satellites but as I was indoors I ignored this assuming this would not be required. Initially the speed was correct but average lap pace and distance were wildly out, considerably less than the actual speed indicated. The speed on the 310xt was pretty comparable with the treadmill speed. I stopped and turned the GPS off, everything now worked i.e. distance, speed and average lap pace were all correct.

When I uploaded to GC I noted that there must have been GPS data recorded in the workout.

So a few questions:

If indoors and on a treadmill then you must turn off the GPS?

If the footpod is set as the speed source, does the distance and hence average pace come from the GPS but the instantaneous speed come from the footpod?

DW152
08-09-2009, 02:36 PM
If indoors and on a treadmill then you must turn off the GPS?

If the footpod is set as the speed source, does the distance and hence average pace come from the GPS but the instantaneous speed come from the footpod?

Regarding your first question -- My FR 310 often gets a signal inside, and sometimes the accuracy is pretty good, in the 20-30 foot range. When I use my Edge while riding my bike inside on my rollers, I always turn off GPS so that it will only use the GSC10 speed and cadence sensor (analogous to your footpod).

R.MCLACHLAN
08-12-2009, 03:52 PM
any answers regarding:

NDURANCERIDER
08-12-2009, 05:15 PM
any answers regarding:

Yes, this is a correct statement.

April

R.MCLACHLAN
08-14-2009, 10:59 AM
This is really good news! I have been looking for this solution for some time as it makes a lot of sense.

ALAALA
08-14-2009, 02:01 PM
However, the GPS track is nearly useless when the footpod is used as speed source. Hopefully they will fix this in the next update of the software so that the 310 behaves like the 405 in this regard (normal GPS track when footpod is speed source, and GPS is on).

R.MCLACHLAN
08-14-2009, 04:50 PM
What do you mean?

ALAALA
08-15-2009, 04:00 AM
If you are only interested in the summary figures after an activity, and if you never bother about using post-processing of the GPS track and never bother about whether the GPS track looks correct then you can just disregard from my comment.

R.MCLACHLAN
08-17-2009, 09:19 AM
Can the 310xt pair with multiple footpods e.g. a footpod for my treadmill session and a footpod for my outdoor training? Or would you have to re-pair the footpods with this scenario?

NDURANCERIDER
08-17-2009, 09:21 AM
You will have to re-pair when you change foot pods or HRM. There are multiple bike profiles for multiple bike cadence units, but not the HR and foot pod. I have suggested such functionality, but hasn't materialized yet!

April

NDURANCERIDER
08-18-2009, 08:24 AM
However, the GPS track is nearly useless when the footpod is used as speed source. Hopefully they will fix this in the next update of the software so that the 310 behaves like the 405 in this regard (normal GPS track when footpod is speed source, and GPS is on).

Can you provide more information about this? Maybe a link to a GC activity that this affects?

Thanks,
April

ALAALA
08-18-2009, 10:23 AM
Sure (I am sure I've already posted about it. Perhaps in the MB forums).

Anyways (same run):
- 310 http://connect.garmin.com/activity/8824585
- 305 http://connect.garmin.com/activity/8832327

Also, a track run with the 310 (only) http://connect.garmin.com/activity/9479908

The 310 saves far, far less track points when the footpod is speed source.
My 405 saved the complete track even with the footpod as speed source.

I want the 310 to behave as the 405, otherwise they might as well just have
a flip option between GPS and footpod. (and not the option GPS tracking + footpod speed).

R.MCLACHLAN
08-18-2009, 04:54 PM
That is definitely a bug that needs to be sorted. Hopefully Garmin will address this sooner rather than later.

BBECKER39
08-19-2009, 09:22 AM
This issue should be fixed in the next firmware update.

ALAALA
08-19-2009, 09:40 AM
This issue should be fixed in the next firmware update.

That's mighty good news.

R.MCLACHLAN
08-19-2009, 05:02 PM
Roughly how long till the next firmware update?

BBECKER39
08-20-2009, 10:39 AM
I do not know for sure at this time. We hope to release it soon.

EPLORENZ
11-11-2009, 09:23 PM
I want to use the footpod for the 310XT for one purpose only - to measure and alert re stride rate, while using GPS for everything else. I tested the 310XT out at a local store here in Vancouver with my existing footpod (used with FR60), and found this behaviour:

With distance and cadence fields onscreen, footpod paired, satellites acquired, speed source" set to GPS, and standing in place swinging the footpod back and forth, current cadence was measured as expected, BUT distance was increasing! Of course it stopped increasing when I stopped swinging the footpod, and cadence went back to zero. Then I realized, it was SPEED source for which I could choose between footpod and GPS (of course I went back and confirmed it still was set to GPS). Didn't see a Distance source setting - but even so, why would anyone want speed from GPS data with distance from Footpod data anyway? Note that I did not look at the Speed field as I don't really care about footpod speed - unless someone can convince me why footpod speed is better, but that's another issue...

Any thoughts?
Thanks, Eric

EKUTTER
11-12-2009, 11:04 AM
Lots of discussions on why you would use foot pod speed over GPS speed. Mainly, GPS speed averages out OK but instantaneous values fluctuate too much. As for distance, if you were getting a good GPS signal, you shouldn't have seen the distance change. Distance should always go to the GPS if there is a decent signal, even if you are standing still.

BBECKER39
11-16-2009, 10:30 AM
The footpod will take priority over GPS if the GPS position is stationary. If both sources are moving the GPS will always take priority for distance. You can select the priority for instantaneous speed and pace using the speed source setting.