PDA

View Full Version : Importing GPS Waypoints to MapSource - How?

BELLAVANCE
02-13-2010, 11:33 AM
Even though I check "Waypoints" when importing from the Oregon 550 to MapSource, they are not imported. What's wrong?

BELLAVANCE
02-14-2010, 06:30 AM
I must add that these are "old" waypoints created with previous GPS units, that I've succeeded in sending to my new Oregon 550 GPS.

I would now like to import them in MapSource from the GPS, because I will now be adding new waypoints with time, directly from the GPS.

Rudy_P
02-14-2010, 09:06 AM
Even though I check "Waypoints" when importing from the Oregon 550 to MapSource, they are not imported. What's wrong?

Step 1: Open mapsource
Step 2: Plug gps to USB on your computer. When gps is recognized by usb, Click on the toolbar first button, picture of gps with arrow up.( Receive from device) Receive from device box will open ,(Displayng gps id. no.) and you check waypoints box, and click receive. The waypoints will be transferred to left pane of the mapsource under waypoint tab. Select FILE save as, give the name and save in location of your choice. If your computer does not see your gps make sure your Garmin usb driver is up to date.

Also if you don’t see the waypoints in the left pane MAKE SURE the waypoint tab is selected.

BELLAVANCE
02-14-2010, 09:17 AM
This is EXACTLY what I've been doing. Computer sees GPS since I was able to install maps on it. I choose to upload from GPS, check Waypoints, but they don't get uploaded to computer. :confused:

BELLAVANCE
02-14-2010, 09:21 AM
When I select Receive from Device and check all boxes, Maps and Track get uploaded, but not Waypoints, and they ARE on the GPS.

DATEZZ
02-14-2010, 09:48 AM
Just guessing here. Make a new waypoint using the 550 and then see if MapSource will download it. If so then explore the 550 and see where the new waypoint is and what the data looks like compared to the ones that will not download. Might be a format thing.

BELLAVANCE
02-14-2010, 09:55 AM
I'll try it right away.

Just guessing here. Make a new waypoint using the 550 and then see if MapSource will download it. If so then explore the 550 and see where the new waypoint is and what the data looks like compared to the ones that will not download. Might be a format thing.

BELLAVANCE
02-14-2010, 10:03 AM
I went outside, and created two waypoints, 001 and 002. These appear on the GPS but were not transferred to MapSource...

By the way, this is Version 6.15.11 of MapSource.

Rudy_P
02-14-2010, 12:45 PM
I went outside, and created two waypoints, 001 and 002. These appear on the GPS but were not transferred to MapSource...

Try the reverse. Make a waypoint in the mapsource and load it to gps.

BELLAVANCE
02-14-2010, 01:02 PM
I created a waypoint in MapSource, and it was transferred to the GPS.

However, this waypoint was not transferred back to MapSource from the GPS.

It looks like it's a one way problem.

Try the reverse. Make a waypoint in the mapsource and load it to gps.

Rudy_P
02-14-2010, 01:05 PM

Do you get the TRANSFER COMPLETE box with message THE DATA WAS SUCCESSFULLY RECEIVED Message? And if you do check the box TURN OFF GPS AFTER EACH TRANSFER and try again.

DATEZZ
02-14-2010, 01:26 PM
My 705 will not transfer waypoints. The 405 will not transfer waypoints. Check out this thread in the 405 forum.
https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=5796

Looks like it's a oneway deal just like BELLAVANCE thought

BELLAVANCE
02-14-2010, 01:37 PM
Yes, it says the data was successfully received. Maps and tracks are effectively transferred, but not waypoints. I see no box for turning GPS off after transfer, but it turns off when I disconnect it.

Do you get the TRANSFER COMPLETE box with message THE DATA WAS SUCCESSFULLY RECEIVED Message? And if you do check the box TURN OFF GPS AFTER EACH TRANSFER and try again.

BELLAVANCE
02-14-2010, 01:39 PM
This is ridiculous. Wake up, Mr Garmin !

Let's say you travel and create waypoints. You then have no way of transferring them to MapSource to see them on your map?

My 705 will not transfer waypoints. The 405 will not transfer waypoints. Check out this thread in the 405 forum.

BELLAVANCE
02-14-2010, 01:48 PM
There's a Garmin rep answering in this other thread, so I aksed my question there. I'll see what he answers.

Rudy_P
02-14-2010, 01:51 PM
This is ridiculous. Wake up, Mr Garmin !

Let's say you travel and create waypoints. You then have no way of transferring them to MapSource to see them on your map?

For 60 csx it works fine. I guess some other models it does not work. Nothing new!

BELLAVANCE
02-14-2010, 01:57 PM
It worked perfectly well with my 76CSx but I've lost it... sigh...

For 60 csx it works fine. I guess some other models it does not work. Nothing new!

DATEZZ
02-14-2010, 02:45 PM
You will not believe this. Plug in the unit. Open the Garmin folder > GPX > current > double click the "current.gpx" file. Bingo...my MapSource opens and all the waypoints I made are there. Do a "save as" and give it a new name if the waypoints are a group you want to save and display on MapSource.

BE CAREFUL. Any changes you make to the actual "current" file will change what's in your unit. You can add or delete any of the waypoints but when you click "save" you must use the pull down list and select "gpx" to make the changes store in your unit. Then when you close MapSource the software will ask you again if you want to save the file and you click "No".

BELLAVANCE
02-14-2010, 02:55 PM
When I click on the file current.gpx, MapSource opens, but without the waypoints...

You will not believe this. Plug in the unit. Open the Garmin folder > GPX > current > double click the "current.gpx" file. Bingo...my MapSource opens and all the waypoints I made are there. Do a "save as" and give it a new name if the waypoints are a group you want to save and display on MapSource.

BE CAREFUL. Any changes you make to the actual "current" file will change what's in your unit. You can add or delete any of the waypoints but when you click "save" you must use the pull down list and select "gpx" to make the changes store in your unit. Then when you close MapSource the software will ask you again if you want to save the file and you click "No".

DATEZZ
02-14-2010, 03:10 PM
AAAARRRUUUGGGHHH!
What else can I say except I don't think you should buy a lottery ticket today. :D

Actually I suppose that means you do not have any waypoints in your 550. Maybe they are stored in a different file. Explore all the files in the Garmin folder.

Or.... maybe your unit has a bug.

BELLAVANCE
02-14-2010, 03:17 PM
I have many waypoints in the 550. I can see them on the unit's screen. I sure would like to be able to send them to MapSource.

Let's hope someone from Garmin can help.

Thanks for your kind help.

AAAARRRUUUGGGHHH!
What else can I say except I don't think you should buy a lottery ticket today. :D

Actually I suppose that means you do not have any waypoints in your 550. Maybe they are stored in a different file. Explore all the files in the Garmin folder.

Or.... maybe your unit has a bug.

DATEZZ
02-14-2010, 03:37 PM
I looked at the 550 manual. I did not know that it takes photos. Just guessing but the waypoints might be stored where the photos are stored.

BELLAVANCE
02-14-2010, 03:45 PM
I've just looked, and photos are ordinary JPG files.

I looked at the 550 manual. I did not know that it takes photos. Just guessing but the waypoints might be stored where the photos are stored.

BELLAVANCE
02-14-2010, 05:48 PM
They download in BaseCamp, so I guess they should eventually download in MapSource. How do I save them in Base Camp?

DATEZZ
02-14-2010, 06:10 PM
Hey congrats on making headway. I do not use Base Camp, sorry.

BELLAVANCE
02-14-2010, 08:25 PM
Tomorrow's Monday. I hope someone from Garmin will explain how to transfer waypoints from the GPS to MapSource.

Hey congrats on making headway. I do not use Base Camp, sorry.

FALAGAR
02-15-2010, 09:00 AM
Some of the newer outdoor devices have a different transfer scheme that MapSource does not support.

BaseCamp is the recommended application for those devices. You can transfer the waypoints from your Oregon to your collection and then export them as GPX.

In case you do not want to use BaseCamp: the waypoints should be in the GPX folder of your device, in one of the gpx files. If you go through the gpx files and just open them with MapSource, one of them should contain your waypoints.

BELLAVANCE
02-15-2010, 05:27 PM
Thanks. This playing with both applications (MapSource and BaseCamp) could get very complicated.

It would be nice if the import function of MapSource would eventually import waypoints when waypoints is checked...

ROBGLOVER
03-10-2010, 07:56 PM
Hi I have the same problem with Orogon 550 and Mapsource, this has occured with 3 GPS units on 5 different computers. i have Mapsource version 6.15.11

NAVIUK
03-14-2010, 05:53 AM
Hi

I recently got my Garmin Oregon 550, having the same issue, just saw the post about Basecamp, will try that out.

It's does seem abit silly to have mapsource to be able to send waypoints to the device but then you cannot import them to mapsource. like if you using it for the road and want to plan a route but using the method of opening GPX files(which i could live with) but not all the waypoints are in one file, they are spread over a few, and there is no option to import from one file to the ext, i tried copying the format from one gpx to another, but this doesn;t work...

Come on Garmin, make a plan!!! for the top of the range mapping hand held, it leaves a sour taste to not be able to do what the bottom of the range nuvi can... a simple upload "all" waypoints to map source...

Cheers

kganshirt
03-14-2010, 11:06 AM
Hi Naviuk,

Take a look at this post I just wrote about how to combine track files in Mapsource from multiple GPX files and see if it helps. You can do exactly the same thing with waypoints loaded from GPX files.

https://forums.garmin.com/showpost.php?p=30795&postcount=7

You might have to scroll up a couple of posts to see my other post with the basic steps.

...ken...

kiwitonita
03-16-2010, 04:33 AM
There's an explanation for this one-way waypoint transfer (how dumb is that?) on the Garmin Support page

Question: Why can't MapSource receive tracks, waypoints and routes from the Oregon 550 series and Dakota series devices? (https://buy.garmin.com/support/productSupport/kanaCase.faces?case=10d16a00-82d8-11de-6a18-000000000000).

Answer:

MapSource can't receive tracks, waypoints, and routes from the Oregon 500 series and the Dakota series devices as MapSource only reads and writes to the Current.gpx file.

The Oregon 500 series and the Dakota series devices use a different method to manage the tracks, waypoints, and routes with Garmin software. These devices create new GPX files for each saved tracks, waypoints and routes and are located in the (Drive Letter)\Garmin\GPX folder. The Current.gpx file on the Oregon 500 series and the Dakota series devices only records the current track data and is located in the (Drive Letter)\Garmin\GPX\Current folder.

Note: The GPX file with date suffix for example Waypoints_10-Aug-09.gpx indicates the date that the waypoint was created using the device. The GPX file with a number suffix for example Waypoints1.gpx indicates that the data was created in BaseCamp.

BaseCamp software is the application to receive tracks, waypoints and routes from the Oregon 550 series and Dakota series devices.

To download BaseCamp: PC Mac

Note: MapSource can be used to manage tracks, waypoints and routes from the Oregon 500 series and Dakota series devices by using the following workaround. This will be required to create routes when using map products that do not contain Digital Elevation Model (DEM) as BaseCamp will only recognize Garmin map products that contain DEM.

1. Open BaseCamp
2. Import data from the device
3. Save data as .GDB file
4. Open the saved .GDB file in MapSource

Note: As MapSource saves data to the Current.gpx, any tracks, waypoints, and routes may get duplicated between MapSource and BaseCamp application.

=======================

This Garmin Trail Tech article may also help: Managing Location Data with BaseCamp (http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/2009/07/managing-location-data-with-basecamp.html)

kganshirt
03-16-2010, 03:27 PM
For what it's worth, that article is a little bit outdated. The latest Basecamp release does work with non-DEM products now. I can see all my City Navigator and Metroguide road maps.

It's a good thing I don't have a handheld that forces me to use Basecamp. DeLorme's Topo USA was my baseline for s-l-o-w software. Really slow to load and even slower than Mapsource 6.15.x when panning and zooming. But Basecamp makes Mapsource and DeLorme's Topo USA feel like a Lamborgini and a Porsche. :rolleyes:

...ken...