PDA

View Full Version : 705 edge Turns OFF?

DDCOOKSON
02-08-2010, 10:19 AM
My garmin edge 705 will just turn off in the middle of my ride. I will be going along on smooth roads and happen to look down. Its totally blank. Turn it back on and its still has data about the current ride minus the time it was off. has happens on 3 of the last four rides. Latest software was loaded and it still happend to me today. Would appreciate any thoughts.

DATEZZ
02-08-2010, 10:41 AM
Just guessing here. The unit might have a less than perfect circuit somewhere and a jar or vibration might be causing that circuit to open and shut off the unit. You might try rapping the back of the unit against the bars while it's on and see if it shuts off.

I also ride with the keyboard always locked (press and hold "menu" button). You might try that and see if the unit stays on because that mode disables the "off" button.

RACINGHEART
02-08-2010, 08:28 PM
My garmin edge 705 will just turn off in the middle of my ride. I will be going along on smooth roads and happen to look down. Its totally blank. Turn it back on and its still has data about the current ride minus the time it was off. has happens on 3 of the last four rides. Latest software was loaded and it still happend to me today. Would appreciate any thoughts.

In the past 6 months, I've had mine shut off on me on several rides. Each time (so far), it's occurred when I was running a Course and happened to press the Mode button just as the unit was displaying a navigation notification at the bottom of the screen (e.g., Turn Left). What would happen is the screen would fail to change, no beep would sound, and then a split second later the unit would turn off. In each case, the unit was trying to run a Course, so I'm not sure whether this was a factor.

EKUTTER
02-08-2010, 08:43 PM
I used to have my Edge turn off when I would press the lap button. Turned out I tended to have one of my fingers along the left side and would accidentally be pressing the mode button at the same time. This went on for 6 months before I realized what I was doing. Turns out pressing Mode and Lap at the same time is a soft-reset of the watch. I complained to Garmin that you should at least have to hold them down for a couple seconds but their response was "by design".

RacingHeart, maybe you are accidentally pressing the lap button when you intend to just press the mode button.

If you aren't pressing any buttons when this happens, you definitely should contact Garmin and get it replaced if it is still under warranty. With the built in battery, this shouldn't happen.

RACINGHEART
02-08-2010, 10:33 PM
RacingHeart, maybe you are accidentally pressing the lap button when you intend to just press the mode button.

Thanks for the possible explanation, but I'm pretty sure that I'm only pressing the Mode button at the time. And since it's happened so rarely, I've been aware of the fact that each time so far it's occurred just as I was approaching an intersection, and only while I had a Course loaded. It has never happened when simply starting the unit and letting it record, nor has it happened while executing a preprogrammed Workout. I know of others who have posted on this forum regarding random power-shutdowns, so I've been monitoring to see whether some sort of pattern was forming.

I don't normally use the Course feature anyway, but do use the Workout feature a lot in conjunction with a power meter, so I'm glad that at least this area has been free of problems (knock on wood!)

JORGEEOH
06-19-2010, 01:32 PM
Im having the same problem. Smooth road, on my desk, and the unit shuts down. At the beginning I thought I was pressing a button by mistake, but no. Any suggestions?

RICHIJENKIN
06-25-2010, 07:25 AM
yep, mines shutting down too. just upgraded to the latest firmware (25-06-10) and its shutdown twice already!! Thought it might be because im cycling throught the different screens to fast? :mad:

HOBSONS
06-25-2010, 07:51 AM
I want to look into this a bit more. Could some of you please answer the following. Thanks.

When the unit is shutting down are you navigating along a course?
If so where was the course created or imported?
Are we seeing a certain time the unit shuts off?
What software are you running?

RACINGHEART
06-25-2010, 08:56 PM
I want to look into this a bit more. Could some of you please answer the following. Thanks.

Yes, navigating along a Course (i.e., TCX, not GPX).
Course created using BikeRouteToaster.com, with "Add Course Points at Junctions" checkbox set as well as "Add Course Point Warnings" checkbox set.
No certain time, other than for me, it appears to happen if I happen to be cycling through the various menus just as the Course Point Warning pops up on the display (e.g., Left Turn).
Software? I'm guessing you mean PC or Mac OS? If so, I'm using WinXP Pro.

It's only happened to me 3 or 4 times, but each time I know a course point warning was about to be displayed and I happened to be pressing the Mode button at the time. This was using firmware 3.10. It hasn't happened for several months now, but of course I'm careful to never press any buttons anymore when I'm expecting some sort of pop-up message to appear.

MADCOWBAZZZ
08-01-2010, 05:32 AM
@Hobsons

During one my mountain biking trips in Les Hauts Voges (France) I experienced several of these "spontaneous" power offs within minutes on a very short stretch. This occurred twice during one 40 km trip.

Please find my answers to your questions below for both events.

First event on a steep incline in a forest.
1. Yes, GPS-navigating along a marked course (VTT route 22).
2. Course created with MapSource (copied the paper version provided by the tourist information center)
3. No certain time. It happened 3 times within 5 minutes.
4. Firmware 3.10
5. Location: N48 03.948 E6 56.154

Second event during a normal incline in an open field.
1. Yes, GPS-navigating along amarked course (VTT route 2).
2. Course created with MapSource (copied the paper version provided by the tourist information center)
3. No certain time. It happened 2 times within 5 minutes.
4. Firmware 3.10
5. Location: N48 03.301 E6 54.695

During the second event I did not load the route the 2nd time the Edge powered off and it did not power off again. I loaded the route again a few km's away and it worked. This made me suspect the location and/or map information to be causing this, therefore I have added the rough GPS locations to it. At the time the newly bought SD with France Topographical cards was inserted and working.

During both events the marked VTT route was not accurately following the route I uploaded into the Edge. In both occasions the VTT route was in between "roads" on the map. When looking at the recorded track I see the Edge "jump" between the real location and the nearest road on the map a few times before it powers down.

If it helps I am happy to provide the track for this great route.

Regards,

Bas

TIGERMOUNTRIDER
08-01-2010, 10:54 AM
1. Navigating coarse (tcx)
2. Imported route generated by RideWithGPS
3. Last ride it turned off 5 hrs into the ride. Has turned of sooner on other rides.
4. Firmware 3.1

COLEMANP_2000
08-01-2010, 02:50 PM
Had loads of problems with my 705. Kept turning itself off mid-ride and also at random when plotting routes etc. Followed the instructions here to regress the software back to 3.1 and it's been rock solid ever since. Am wondering if my 3.2 was a bad install and if things will work ok if I reinstall it? Knowing that I can regress at will, I might experiment. Then again, might just wait for 3.3!

MTALINM
08-02-2010, 06:42 AM
I'm on 3.1 and have the following problem:

when doing a GPX Track (Where to? Saved Rides), when I go off track it asks if I want to recalculate (I have it set to Prompt).

It often takes 10-30 seconds to respond to me pressing "OK" on the recalculate screen, then it does the planning but sits on "100%" for what seems like a minute but may be less. Then it shuts off. Over and over again.

Really a bummer b/c I love the turn indicators when using GPX vs. TCX. And I like the idea of being able to recalculate when I decide to go off track. but this is nuts.

JONEISEMAN
08-02-2010, 08:40 AM
I have recalculate set to "prompt" but if I'm following a saved ride I always click on No when it asks if I want to recalculate. It never does the recalculation correctly if I click on Yes to recalculate when doing a saved ride. The only time I click on Yes (for recalculation) is when I'm navigating to a saved location (not when following a saved ride).

MADCOWBAZZZ
08-02-2010, 03:13 PM
1. Navigating to a favorite
2. Let the Edge calculate the route
3. No specific time
4. Firmware 3.2

After the Edge powered off I turned it back on and it had reset itself to factory defaults erasing all my settings, data and last ride :(

Back to 3.1 :(

BORISHANSEN
08-03-2010, 12:51 PM
@ HOBSONS

1. No. I always just turns on the unit, lets it receive gps-signal and then press the start/stop-button.
2. --
3. No. It has happened after 10 minutes and after 3,5 hour.
4. The turning-off problems with my edge 705 started after I upgraded to v.3.2. I think I did that in May 2010. Before that I had no problems at all with the edge 705.

Boris.

LIONSLAIR50
10-11-2010, 11:25 PM

This has happened to me twice now. Both time I was running a course and battery was fully charged.

Each time occured when pressing the mode button simply just turned off the unit. First time I turned it back on but forgot to press start on the timer so for 30km of my ride it was not acutally recording the ride. I think if you are moving and not recording an alert should be shown.

Second was last Saturday. Started the course at home and rode to the meeting point for the ride. When I got there I pressed mode. Unit shut off. Turned it back on. Pressed mode and it went off again. When I turned it back on had 80% done a factory reset. Seemed to have my profiles still.

However it recalculated my wheel size. Also all my display screen settings were lost. It went through the inital setup all over again. But still had my history in the unit.

My ride was kind of a write off. When I got home I tried to restore my backup from the night before. But the backup does not appear to have all your display settings I had to configure them all over again.

DSEVERN1
10-15-2010, 11:43 AM
This happened to me just recently.
It's a newly refurbished 705 (got it back from Garmin about a month ago).
I have Firmware rev 3.1.
I was navigating a route on a metric Century hammerfest. At the turnaround point it just turned off.
I realized it had turned off a few miles after the turnaround but didn't feel like screwing with it at the time. When I got back to the start point, I turned it on and it had all the data from where it turned off. Everything had stopped at that point and nothing was reset.
Anyone come up with any new ideas, yet?

And not that it will matter or have anything to do with this, but I have to say I am generally very displeased with the 705. I've had mine for about 2 years now. Yes, there have been many issues fixed from when it first came out, but it seems like it still has a ways to go. I rode 6 Gap in Dahlonega Georgia a few weeks ago and for the entire ride, my Grade % were wrong. No clue why. It had worked fine the day before and worked fine the next day, but the ONE ride that I really wanted to see Grade's for, it was totally hosed.
Many people have asked me how I like it or if they should get one and I honestly can't tell them they should.
Get it together Garmin. Please!

GERRYCAN
04-13-2011, 12:04 AM
Is anyone else still having the problem with Edge 705 suddenly turning itself off?

It happened to me in a rally on Saturday, and then again today. On Saturday I was navigating a saved ride. Today I was not using navigation at all.

On Saturday, I had ridden 45 minutes and I stopped at a rest stop. When I started to get on my bike, the 705 beeped once and turned off. I turned it back on and my distance, etc., still showed. However, average speed was off because apparently the timer was reset to zero. When I got home, I was able to tweak the tcx file to adjust avg speed to match moving avg speed, which appeared to be correct.

Fast forward to today and after riding about 30 miles, I looked down and the screen was blank. I turned the unit back on and hit start, and it was basically the same scenario as Saturday. The timer was reset for current lap, which threw off current lap speed. This time I also lost a mile in distance because I had apparently ridden a mile with a blank screen before I noticed it.

On Saturday I was following a "saved ride" which I had downloaded from the rally's website. At the time I thought that the shut down might have been related to using the "saved ride" feature.

But today when it happened I was not using any navigation, just riding and recording my results.

Maybe something left over from using saved ride navigation on Saturday's ride is still affecting the unit? For now I have tried a soft reset. If it happens again, I'll try a hard reset.

fwiw, I'm using version 3.3.

UFFENL
04-13-2011, 07:08 AM
Happend a few times recently to me too. firmware 3.3.

GERRYCAN
04-13-2011, 07:28 AM
Happend a few times recently to me too. firmware 3.3.

This was first time it happened to me in about 4,000 miles of usage.

Do you use navigation much, such as Where To > Saved Ride?

UFFENL
04-15-2011, 12:40 AM
This was first time it happened to me in about 4,000 miles of usage.

Do you use navigation much, such as Where To > Saved Ride?

No, mostly pendling to work, so I know my way by now.

GERRYCAN
04-15-2011, 08:18 AM
Ok thanks. Let me know if you think of something that might be a pattern to it happening.

I suspected that it might be navigation related, since the first time that it happened to me I was navigating a saved ride route. I also use navigation very rarely, since most of my riding is laps around our city lake, or other parts of our urban trail system.

I've sent an email to Customer Support to see if there is something in their knowledge database.

JMARTEIJN
04-18-2011, 02:21 AM
Yesterday i had the same problem that after some time, when following a course created with Mapsource, the edge 705 shutdowns completely. At that point i did not touch any buttons. Never had this problem before, but looks to be caused after the f/w update to v3.3
Will go back to v3.1 and do some tests.

GERRYCAN
04-18-2011, 06:37 AM
Yesterday i had the same problem that after some time, when following a course created with Mapsource, the edge 705 shutdowns completely. At that point i did not touch any buttons. Never had this problem before, but looks to be caused after the f/w update to v3.3
Will go back to v3.1 and do some tests.

This thread was started before 3.3 was released. Some of the previous posters indicated that they were using 3.1 when it happened.

My first shutdown was while navigating a saved ride route downloaded from a site for an organized charity ride. It was created using MapMyFitness.com.

When my device shut down the second time 2 days later, I was not navigating a course at all.

I did a soft reset, to try the least invasive remedy first. So far since then I've had 3 problem-free rides for a total of 100 miles, including another 44 mile route created my MapMyFitness.com.

I had emailed Garmin Support and I got back the stock reply, with copy/pasted instructions for doing a hard reset so that "the device will think that it is a new unit." They forgot to add "....... and will run perfectly until it suddenly does a spontaneous shutdown again!"

JMARTEIJN
04-18-2011, 08:14 AM
This thread was started before 3.3 was released. Some of the previous posters indicated that they were using 3.1 when it happened.

My first shutdown was while navigating a saved ride route downloaded from a site for an organized charity ride. It was created using MapMyFitness.com.

When my device shut down the second time 2 days later, I was not navigating a course at all.

I did a soft reset, to try the least invasive remedy first. So far since then I've had 3 problem-free rides for a total of 100 miles, including another 44 mile route created my MapMyFitness.com.

I had emailed Garmin Support and I got back the stock reply, with copy/pasted instructions for doing a hard reset so that "the device will think that it is a new unit." They forgot to add "....... and will run perfectly until it suddenly does a spontaneous shutdown again!"

Downgraded to v3.10 and reset all settings back to default. After that created a new course using http://bikeroutetoaster.com
No problems so far this afternoon.
Never had this issue before v3.30, so that's strange though....

Keep you updated.

GERRYCAN
04-18-2011, 08:46 AM
Downgraded to v3.10 and reset all settings back to default. After that created a new course using http://bikeroutetoaster.com

Keep you updated.

When yours shut down, did you lose any data up to that point? All of my data seemed to be intact, except that the lap timer was reset to zero. That inflated my current lap average speed. For the ride where I immediagely noticed the shutdown and I turned it back on and hit start, the moving time and moving average speed were correct when I uploaded and could see that info.

SIMONDAW
04-18-2011, 02:06 PM
The problem you're describing is very much what I experienced when I initially "upgraded" to 3.30 last winter; it simply shut down on me mid-ride. Data up to the shut-down was intact, and files were not in fact corrupted.

I reverted to 3.10, and the problem ceased. However, not long after this my unit was damaged by water ingress, which meant that the thumbstick function was restricted. Rather than send it off to Garmin for a reduced price replacement I opted to keep the old unit for recording my rides to work, etc, and buy a new unit for "serious" use (this cost me nearly £100 more, but I now have an extra HRM belt, two extra fitting kits...and a reasonably useful, if not perfect, 705).

Anyway, I installed 3.30 on the new unit, and have had no problems with it at all (although it's only done just over 600 miles to date). But I also took a deep breath - well, not that deep, because I after all had little to lose! - and reinstalled 3.30 on the old one. Now, admittedly I don't use courses, routes or tracks very much with this old unit any more (because of the type of riding I do with it), but I have done one or two, and it's done about 800 miles since the re-install without any problems whatsoever.

Make of that what you will. It might suggest that the install process is what causes things to go wrong. However, if you're finding that these problems are starting many months after installation this is perhaps less likely.

GERRYCAN
04-18-2011, 02:28 PM
I have about 4500 miles logged on my 705, the first 2700 miles with release 3.2 and now 1800 miles with release 3.3.

This shutdown problem did not occur in all that time with either release, but then I had very seldom used navigation features during that time.

The only thing that I am sure of is that it won't happen again ... unless or until it does happen again :confused:

SIMONDAW
04-18-2011, 02:35 PM
The only thing that I am sure of is that it won't happen again ... unless or until it does happen again :confused:

Quite. :)

LLEWEY
04-24-2011, 04:46 PM
Mine shuts down all the time, but just ignored the problem. Not whilst using the GPS navigation function, just the basic 8 data fields on screen. Upgraded firmware to latest version about 2 weeks ago and thought that might cure the problem but no joy. Today I was about ready to smash the thing off the road, it shut down, and then when I powered it back up it started to give some really crazy readings, including an average speed of 250 mph. lol. I also thought I'd been pressing something by accident, but obviously was not. The unit is 2 years old. I just think it’s full of bugs and or hardware problems, plain and simple.

ROBOCHEME
04-25-2011, 08:17 PM
My 705 has been shutting down mid-ride for the past two months ever since I "upgraded" to 3.3. I have to stop, turn it on and then hit the start button. I lose the timing, but not the distance. I haven't used navigation in over a year.
Garmin "support" has advised me to do a hard reset, leave it outside so that it can fix on the satellites, upgrade to version 4.0 (which doesn't exist), use the Updater program to revert back to 3.1 and drop a .gcd file into the Garmin folder.
None of these "fixes" worked and the latter two didn't even get the OS back to 3.1.

My question is if you drop a .gcd file into the Garmin folder in order to revert back to 3.1, what do you do next? Garmin Support didn't give me any instructions, so I just turned it on and nothing changed (i.e still on 3.3). Is there a procedure I should use to force it to use the .gcd file?

Has anyone actually fixed this problem? I asked because I'm not sure that going back to 3.1 will solve anything since previous posters had this shutoff problem with 3.1.

Thanks,

Cliff

GERRYCAN
04-26-2011, 04:47 AM
My question is if you drop a .gcd file into the Garmin folder in order to revert back to 3.1, what do you do next? Garmin Support didn't give me any instructions, so I just turned it on and nothing changed (i.e still on 3.3). Is there a procedure I should use to force it to use the .gcd file?

Has anyone actually fixed this problem? I asked because I'm not sure that going back to 3.1 will solve anything since previous posters had this shutoff problem with 3.1.

Thanks,

Cliff
The first time that I did a firmware update, in order to get the .gcd file to install on the device itself, I had to plug it in using the Garmin wall charger after disconnecting it from the computer. I had found that info about the wall charger buried somewhere in the FAQ's.

I have had the shut off happen to me twice, about 3 days apart. That was 3 weeks and 400 miles ago. I've had no issues since. The only remedy that I've tried so far is a soft reset. Of course there's no way to test it. I just have to wait and see if it happens again.

I've had my unit almost a year. I originally used firmware 3.2 and then I upgraded to 3.3 the day that it was released. This was the first issue of any kind that I've had with either release.

MRW8
05-02-2011, 01:10 AM
Any news about this turn off issue ?

I've been using my Edge 705 for about 2.5 years now without no problem. Well I upgraded to 3.3 in December 2010, had no problem till 2 weeks ago while riding (TCX course) as usually I got my device to turn off exactly like many of you as described. It happened many time on a few rides.

It is getting pretty annoying not to be sure to be able to have you device on and running in places you never been before so could we hope to get a fix about that ?
Is it a FW issue or might it be hardware related ?

Seb

OTTERIT
05-04-2011, 02:08 PM
My device is also turning off.

GERRYCAN
05-04-2011, 02:44 PM
My device is also turning off.

Have you been able to notice anything that might point to when it happens?

The first time it happened to me I was navigating, following a saved course (gpx track file). But then it happened again just a few days later when I was just riding with no navigation going on.

I tried doing a soft reset and it has not happened again. It's been ok now for a few weeks a a few hundred miles.

I had emailed Customer Support, and of course they replied with the standard answer of doing a hard reset ............

TGKOHN@AOL.COMTGKOHN
05-04-2011, 04:02 PM
Maybe this is the same condition others have described here, maybe it's different. This has happened on my last two rides.

At about 14:00 into the ride, the speed goes blank, the timer stops, and the AUTOPAUSE STARTED message flashes. I'm still moving along, with good HR and cadence readings. I have the cadence sensor set only to register cadence, not wheel spin/speed (MTB with the sensor mounted on the chainstay to register crank movement, which is too far forward to allow the wheel magent to reach the sensor.)

I've tried pressing START/STOP, and it resumes the timing and speed for a second or so, then goes into autopause again. I've tried turning the 'puter OFF also, to no effect.

Today, at about 28:00 into the ride (by the displayed local time), the speed and time returned and stayed on for the remainder of the ride.

The weather here is super cloudy, threatening rain. Could the cloud cover prevent reception of GPS signals?

Tom Kohn
Dayton OH

V.I.58
05-13-2011, 03:53 PM
Had loads of problems with my 705. Kept turning itself off mid-ride and also at random when plotting routes etc. Followed the instructions here to regress the software back to 3.1 and it's been rock solid ever since. Am wondering if my 3.2 was a bad install and if things will work ok if I reinstall it? Knowing that I can regress at will, I might experiment. Then again, might just wait for 3.3!
Hi MTALINM, I'm a new boy here, you have said that, "Followed the instructions here to regress the software back to 3.1 and it's been rock solid ever since", Please where is "here"? I want to go back to v3.1. Since downloading v3.2 my 705 doesn't show MPH for 50% of the route, swaps between auto pause and auto resume, when being ridden, often (random timing between 5 and 60 seconds approx) and shows incorrect speed usually 2.5 mph when I am doing approx 20 mph.
I love the concept of the 705 BUT starting to hate Garmin.
Regards, V.I.58.

SIMONDAW
05-13-2011, 04:29 PM
Hmm - Garmin seem to have either moved 3.10 to some new location or to have removed it altogether. Someone else may have a link, but if not PM me and I may be able to help you out.

Incidentally, do you mean 3.20? If you're still running that you'd be best advised to update to 3.30 before going back to 3.10. In fact, even if it's 3.30 you're using it would be worth first trying a hard reset, and then if that doesn't work reinstalling 3.30 before reverting.

LEHISJ
05-14-2011, 03:31 AM
Hi,

I have two Powertap hubs and after installing 3.30 705 is showing totally wrong speed and distance. I would like to downgrade back to 3.10, but it is not possible to find any more from Garmin. Please let me know if somebody has 3.10 file available and could send it to me by email.

AWEATHERALL
05-14-2011, 07:41 AM
Cheek that the wheel circumference is set correctly in the bike profiles as speed and distance will come from the hub if the 705 is paired with one.

GERRYCAN
05-14-2011, 03:16 PM
Please stick to the subject of this thread ............

705 edge Turns OFF?

Thanks.

EDITWIZ
05-17-2011, 07:17 PM
:mad:After updating my 705, unit shuts down when performing a "Where To", "Saved Rides", Navigate. Then the big crash or shutdown. After removing the sd card, the issue goes away. If I transfer to sd card, the big crash shutdown. How can I get the 3.1 down grade please so I can continue to issolate this issue?

LOOIGI
05-19-2011, 06:06 PM
I have the 3.10 gcd file: Edge605_705_310.gcd I'll happily email it to whomever needs it. Once you have the file, the following explains how to use it to revert to 3.01. I just did it to mine after flaky behavior with 3.03.

* Save the file to your desktop
* Rename the file GUPDATE.GCD
* Plug your Edge 605/705 into your computer
* Drag and drop the .gcd file on your desktop into the Garmin directory on your Edge 605/705
* Unplug your Edge 605/705 from your computer
* Power your Edge 605/705 on
* Follow the on-screen prompt and then allow for the software to back date

HENRIKPARKER
05-22-2011, 06:08 AM
I would really appreciate it if you would send me the 3.01 version. My email is parker@woodcock.com
Thanks.

GERRYCAN
05-22-2011, 07:13 AM
Note that some of the earlier reports of shutting down were posted by people using firmware 3.1.

So I'm not convinced that reverting to older software is the solution. Never happened to me, using 3.2 and then 3.3, for a total of 5,000 miles. Then it shutdown once while navigating a saved ride. And it shutdown 3 days later while just riding and recording data. I did a soft reset. Hasn't happened again in another 1000 miles. But I've only navigated one saved ride during the 1000 miles.

Does shutdown while navigating a saved ride seem to be a commonaility with others?

JMARTEIJN
05-24-2011, 02:06 AM

Keep you updated.

Last weekend followed a course, but problem again occurred. :mad:
Looks like problem is caused by switching to fast between the several screens using the Mode button while cycling. :confused:

Will update f/w to v3.3 again as problem is not solved after downgrade to v3.1

GERRYCAN
05-24-2011, 03:23 AM
Last weekend followed a course, but problem again occurred. :mad:
Looks like problem is caused by switching to fast between the several screens using the Mode button while cycling. :confused:

Will update f/w to v3.3 again as problem is not solved after downgrade to v3.1

See post # 4 in this thread. Since your problem occurs while pressing the mode button, are you sure that you are not also unknowingly pressing the lap button, thereby causing a soft reset?

DARTHWOMBAT
05-25-2011, 06:06 PM
I just had a mystery shutdown on an 80km ride with a new (refurbished?) warranty replacement 705 which I recently received from Garmin. I am really concerned that it might happen on an important ride, so I will be watching it carefully from now on.

I had upgraded the 705 firmware to 3.30, reloaded my maps and set the GPS up from scratch. Logging was set to per-second with auto-stop enabled. I was not following a course or navigating when the unit shut down - just logging the ride. I did not have a GSC-10 fitted to the tandem I was riding.

I have attached the TCX from the ride just in case it can shed any light on why it shut down. The 705 shut down after about 1:59:14 of logged time - 7164 data points. I don't think I had hit any buttons at the time because I wasn't navigating. Fortunately, it shut down less than two minutes from a stop, so I didn't lose much this time around. I have done a soft reset and I will see how it goes on a planned 120km ride this coming weekend.

ROBOCHEME
05-25-2011, 11:22 PM
Just a followup. My 705 started shutting down right after I went from 3.1 to 3.3. It got progressively worse until it was happening on every ride. I went back to 3.1 about a dozen rides ago and it hasn't shut down once.

LOOIGI
05-26-2011, 06:05 AM
Just a followup. My 705 started shutting down right after I went from 3.1 to 3.3. It got progressively worse until it was happening on every ride. I went back to 3.1 about a dozen rides ago and it hasn't shut down once.

Me too. Also, with 3.03 unit would often lock up and never finish loading a gpx track from Saved Rides. I had to power off and on, and try again to get it to work. It didn't do this before with 3.01 and hasn't done it now since reverting to 3.01.

KISERTN
06-25-2011, 02:19 PM
I see a lot of posts concerning navigation-ride shutdowns. I am expericing the shut-down problen with training rides.

I have had my Edge 705 for over a year, through multiple firware updates. I never use navigation rides, only training rides, meaning rides with set laps/targets programmed in Garmin Training Center. I have never experienced a shutdown until the last two rides (and I just recently upgraded to 3.3, right before these incidents occurred). It happens about 5-10 minutes into the ride. I cut the unit back on, press start and the timer starts again. So far, no issues for the remainder of the 2-4 hour ride each time.

Is there a list of known issues with these units? One that Garmin maintains and we can see? From posts I see here on Garmin's support I gather their support is not well regarded (I know that when viewing online to expecta skewing of reports towards the 'bad' end, but I have yet to find anyone speaking well of their support). Would be nice to see Garmin maintain a list of known issues between firmware updates and what the work-arounds are (if any).

Anyway, main point in postign is to say that this problem is definitely not limited to courses or where-to rides.

JSEDLAK325I
06-26-2011, 05:42 AM
This happens to me when doing courses. Was doing a 100+ mile route yesterday and it happened at least 3 times. :mad:

Have had the device for 2 years now and this problem only seems to be getting worse.

IKU899
06-27-2011, 01:40 AM
Me too. Also, with 3.03 unit would often lock up and never finish loading a gpx track from Saved Rides.

If it is the case when counter goes to 100% and screen goes blank after minute or two then in my experience it is better, instead of sending all routes to one file ( temp.gpx), to export your track (route) one by one to a files. If the track you want to follow is long it still takes minute or two to calculate but I had never crash during this process.
If I put all tracks (routes) to one file I am not able to plan more then 50 km.

Regards
Ivan

TSN198
07-07-2011, 04:37 AM
My Edge 705 also randomly turns off too. I am running 3.3, It just happens when i'm recording a ride. At random points i'll look down at the display and it'll be blank. I can turn it on and it'll have all my data there and it'll start recording again just fine when i press start. The turning off appears to be random, in that I can't notice a trend or pattern in it. I'm not pressing any buttons either.

This is very frustrating. Is there anything being done by Garmin to address this issue? There seems to be quite a few people affected by it.

UFFENL
07-19-2011, 02:16 AM
I have developed a suspicion that the turning off is related to a faulty reading of the microSD card.

After the unit has been wet, I have seen problems turning it ON, and I have also seen it turn OFF. The solution was to remove the SD card and dry the unit out.

Unfortunately the turning OFF occurs much to rarely for me to conclude that the reading of the SD card is the problem.

Did someone riding without a card inserted see the unit turn OFF spontaneously ?

SIMONDAW
07-19-2011, 04:19 PM
I've only had this happen a few times (maybe 10 crashes in 26,000 miles, and most of those on early firmware versions two years ago), and I mostly (but not absolutely always) ride with a card inserted.

However, I've never had the unit turn off without a card inserted, and once, when the unit crashed several times simultaneously (i.e., crash > restart followed immediately by crash > restart followed immediately by crash), removing the card made the unit usable again. So your theory fits with my experiences.

UFFENL
07-22-2011, 03:29 AM
After the wet weather on Monday the card reader ceased to work all together. When I took the unit apart one of the SMD components fell off the card reader - very poor assembly quality. The sealing silicone seemed to have partially lifted the component from its foot print.

In the wet state I managed to screw up the internal drive as well, and it had to be formatted.

The basic flaw with the 705 is that the card reader is outside the weather seal. How is the Edge 800 on this ??

I now decided to disconnect the card reader all together and use smaller maps, that will fit in the internal flash memory. It will be interesting to see if spontaneous turning OFF will stop.

SIMONOXENHAM
07-27-2011, 05:30 AM
My 705 has turned itself off a couple of times recently. I'm also on 3.3

GERRYCAN
07-27-2011, 11:01 AM
My 705 has turned itself off a couple of times recently. I'm also on 3.3

Were you navigating a course (gpx) when it happened? That was the only time that it's happened to me (I've been using 3.3 since October 2010).

Then it happened again a couple of days later, while I was not navigating with GPS, only recording history.

I tried a soft reset as first recourse, since it is least invasive.

It has not re-occurred since, and I have followed a couple more gpx courses in the meantime.

It seems to be one of those things that are so sporadic that we might never really track down the cause. This thread goes back to the problem with firmware versions prior to 3.3 as well.

EDITWIZ
07-29-2011, 06:35 PM
Note that some of the earlier reports of shutting down were posted by people using firmware 3.1.

So I'm not convinced that reverting to older software is the solution. Never happened to me, using 3.2 and then 3.3, for a total of 5,000 miles. Then it shutdown once while navigating a saved ride. And it shutdown 3 days later while just riding and recording data. I did a soft reset. Hasn't happened again in another 1000 miles. But I've only navigated one saved ride during the 1000 miles.

Does shutdown while navigating a saved ride seem to be a commonaility with others?

Do you have an a memory card in you 705? When I remove issue goes away.

EDITWIZ
07-29-2011, 06:43 PM
I have developed a suspicion that the turning off is related to a faulty reading of the microSD card.

After the unit has been wet, I have seen problems turning it ON, and I have also seen it turn OFF. The solution was to remove the SD card and dry the unit out.

Unfortunately the turning OFF occurs much to rarely for me to conclude that the reading of the SD card is the problem.

Did someone riding without a card inserted see the unit turn OFF spontaneously ?

I posted this issue earlier. When I remove SD Card problem goes away??? I've been asking others but no one has responded.

EDITWIZ
07-29-2011, 06:49 PM
Were you navigating a course (gpx) when it happened? That was the only time that it's happened to me (I've been using 3.3 since October 2010).

Then it happened again a couple of days later, while I was not navigating with GPS, only recording history.

I tried a soft reset as first recourse, since it is least invasive.

It has not re-occurred since, and I have followed a couple more gpx courses in the meantime.

It seems to be one of those things that are so sporadic that we might never really track down the cause. This thread goes back to the problem with firmware versions prior to 3.3 as well.

Its a combination of 3.3 and Memory cards installed. Remove your memory card. Let me know if the isse goes away

GERRYCAN
07-29-2011, 07:27 PM
Its a combination of 3.3 and Memory cards installed. Remove your memory card. Let me know if the isse goes away

I've had a card in mine from day one (12 months and 6000 miles) and the shutdown has happened to me only the two times that I referenced in my earlier post.

My first shutdown happened during a rally, when I was navigating a saved ride (using the rally's downloaded gpx file). Since following saved rides is something that I rarely do, I thought in my case that there might be a connection there.

I definitely dont' think that my shutdowns were related to memory card.

TRELLO
07-30-2011, 01:13 AM
usually some turns off is for battery contact. open gps and clean them

CALCADOS
07-30-2011, 05:11 AM
Good Morning. So I have been reading this thread from early on, as well as searching online for other feedback regarding this issue, and finally have decided to post my own issues.... I have owned the 705 for several years now, and the first time it shut down on me was three years ago... Turned it back on pressed the start button, and only missed a small portion of the ride I did that day.... Fast forward to two days ago, did a 100 mile + ride and the unit crashed more then 8 times.... More concerning, when restarting it, it would power up, but never get further then the garmin startup screen??? This had never happened before... After 15 to 20 minutes (kept riding), tried again, and it would start, acquire satellites and start up normally.... This continued to happens thru-out the ride.... And now, have NOT been able to get the unit to power up correctly in the past 24 hours.... A little back ground info.... Have the latest firm wear (which also has issues w/ wheel size calculation etc but that's meant for another forum), HAVE NEVER EVER USED A SIM CARD IN THE SLOT...., the unit was ONLY being used to monitor HR, Cadence, Power.... Was not set for any mapping or navigational routing...... On the ride the other day, I can specifically say, the unit shut down the first time IMMEDIATELY AFTER THE 30 MINUTE ALERT SOUNDED. When I was finally able to restart the unit, I shut down the alerts.... The further into the ride, the more frequent the crashing of the unit.... And the longer it took to restart...... VERY FRUSTRATED..... Here are some additional interesting notes..... When trying to restart the unit, it powers up, and hangs on the GARMIN start page... BUT, what I find interesting is that I can adjust the backlit light buy pushing the power bottom and adjusting the joy stick, I can lock the keys, I can see that the battery life is full.... but the system HANGS there????
Have a MAJOR event next weekend and need to get this issue resolved!! Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

TIGERMOUNTRIDER
07-30-2011, 03:37 PM
Have a MAJOR event next weekend and need to get this issue resolved!! Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!It could be corrupt firmware or a corrupt navigation file. If there are any files in the Course or GPX folders try removing them and adding back one at a time. Try reinstalling the firmware. Run the Web Updater and it will ask if you want to install the same version.

CALCADOS
07-30-2011, 07:26 PM
tried this, but when doing the update again, the unit crash's ..... now it wont even stay on while connected with the USB .... keeps shutting down and restarting .....

TIGERMOUNTRIDER
07-30-2011, 07:52 PM
That's not good. All I can think of is trying a hard reset.
Edge Mode Table (https://forums.garmin.com//showthread.php?t=10118)

CALCADOS
07-30-2011, 08:08 PM
how do you do a hard reset (is it when you push the power and the mode together?)

TIGERMOUNTRIDER
07-30-2011, 08:26 PM
Yes. Good luck.

SIMONDAW
07-31-2011, 07:30 AM
However, I've never had the unit turn off without a card inserted.

Yes, I have ...:(

I've been using my 705 without a card for the past few days; my observations had tended to support (or at least not contradict) the theory that the card causes the issue, possibly when used on units running 3.3. I did this after two crashes during a long (95 miles) ride on Tuesday - no data loss, but the unit just switched off during the ride, and then again when I was cycling through data after returning home. Given that my older unit, which I now use only for "utility" rides (broken thumbstick, etc) hasn't crashed once in the past six months - and has no card fitted - I felt that the card might be the way to go.

However, this morning I rode a 47-mile time trial. I'd a tcx file to follow, and loaded it just before the start. The unit - cardless - crashed almost immediately. Restarted fine, and the data is intact, but I'm afraid this rules out the paradigm which states that crashes are caused by a mix of 3.3 and SD cards.

Anyway, another hard reset beckons...:mad:

EDITWIZ
08-14-2011, 07:42 AM
I have a Garmin GPSMAP 640 Chart Plotter. I was having lockups as well with this product. They now use a Microsoft Product that performs the transfer of firmware and software. For the first time I have no lockup issues with my GPSMAP640. Updates were being crupted during the download process.

Garmin,

When will you provide us with utility for the GARMIN 705 Product??:D

FIOCCODANIELA
08-16-2011, 01:46 PM
I agree with SIMONDAW, the problem is caused by a combination of 3.30 and SD card.
Few days ago I updated to version 3.30 and immediately I noticed that each time I was trying to move one gpx file from main memory to SD card the unit was constantly turning off. At the beginning I didnít care because I was able to move the files when the 705 is connected to the computer.
Today for the first time the 705 switched off while I was running a course (with gpx ).
Few minutes ago I installed 3.10. Now I can move the gpxís files with the 705 without any problem. Next week Iíll try it with some rides. By the way, I didnít have any problem when I was riding with 3.10.

MINORAOZ
08-16-2011, 03:49 PM
My Garmin has started to turn itself off for what appears to be no particular reason. I'm on version 3.3

I am not following a course, switching between pages or pressing the lap, menu or any buttons. I do have a card inserted though.

Any ideas?

TIGERMOUNTRIDER
08-16-2011, 04:09 PM
You could try reinstalling the firmware. It can become corrupt and cause problems.

MARKPETERGARMIN
09-03-2011, 02:32 AM
My garmin 705 is shutting off 8 or more times during a trip. I have tried several total resets and reinstalled firmware 3.30. Nothing worked. Erased the maps and use different maps, nothing worked. Battery seems ok with 3,78 volts.
Unit is charged.
I have also installed firmware 3.10 over 3.30 but the unit still is shutting down without any warning. The only patterns i can see is that it usually happens when i am standing still, eg during breaks or pauses.
It has to do when i am viewing maps, the normal bike functions do not trigger the unit to shut down. Quick zooming in and out seems in helping shut it down but not always. I have erased the unit several time and used different maps
but still shut downs.

Also when i stand still with the edge in direct sunlight it sometimes shuts down. Indoors the unit stays on for 10 hours.
We live in the cold Netherlands were it is never really hot.

My cycling mate has a 705 for a year now and has the same problem. Usually shut down suddenly during pauses but last week during a ride.
She has also 3.30 but used different maps file. We all use open source maps.

With or without a micro SD card the unit shuts down.

Our units are the same exept BMAP. Mine said "fail" and hers said "pass".
The garmin has a self test function and the ROM and RAM en BMAP and MXL is all "pass". The battery is 3,99 volts.
My unit shows 3,78 volts and the parameter BMAP "FAIL".

I have owned several Polars, a Palm and three Iphones and these units rarely malfunctioned.

This year the troubles were so annoying that i bought the edge 800. I still have the 705 but it is rather useless.
The edge 800 works as a charm. The maps, heart rate and cadence sensors are compatible.

Anyone with idea's for the 705?

Greetings!

SWS100
09-04-2011, 06:35 AM
The first time it happened to me I was navigating, following a saved course (gpx track file). But then it happened again just a few days later when I was just riding with no navigation going on.
The same happened to me many times, saved gpx course, navigating, shut down. No particular pattern noticed. After turning on erratic max/avarage speed and time noticed. Now try to split long course to 3-5 pieces, 3-5 gpx files. The only solution to cure riding with no course navigation is deleting ALL gpx files from device both via menu and via PC. This will also cure erratic max. speed problem.

TRELLO
09-04-2011, 02:17 PM

the real problem is that you don't know when it will be, probably in a similar ride of the season or in a completely new. in both cases you will be black, but the last like a black hole ... and you will wish the impossible, a nuclear bomb :mad:

GERRYCAN
09-04-2011, 02:36 PM
the real problem is that you don't know when it will be, probably in a similar ride of the season or in a completely new. in both cases you will be black, but the last like a black hole ... and you will wish the impossible, a nuclear bomb :mad:

Luckily for me, the first time I noticed it immediately, and the second time I lost only a mile or 2 of data before I noticed and turned it back on.

I'm a long-time programmer and therefore I always want to find the pattern of WHY something like this happens so that I can FIX it. Or at least AVOID it. I feel your pain with this "who knows when or why" issue.

Anyway, good luck to the 705 owners on figuring out this issue. I've just moved on to the 800. Now if Garmin would fix the problem of the 800 freezing on the map screen if auto-pause is on and you stop. At least that one I can avoid by not using scrolling until the problem is fixed.

ADRIAN.MILES@RMIT.EDU.AU
10-01-2011, 02:32 AM
Had similar experience the last week or so with the unit simply turning itself off midride. As with others, plenty of battery, no difference to any other day out. But some observations from previous experience.

1. Had an Edge 305, similar problem there, though usually related to hitting a bump. Turned out others had same problem. Was an issue with contacts losing their spring and not keeping a connection.

2. fix documented at
http://blog.mtbguru.com/2008/11/06/surgery-on-the-garmin-edge-305/
brutal.

3. or you bought a new unit.

4. I got a 705, and I think the common thread is not software, MicroSD card, a fight with the wife, it is not every unit is *not* new. Which makes me anxious it is the same, or a similar problem to what was noted with the 305.

5. If yes then worse than poor design and response from garmin, however before figuring that out, does this make sense to others with the same problem?

SIMONDAW
10-01-2011, 08:26 AM
I can't find any common factor in this. I don't think it's to do with contacts, though; the problem seems unrelated to bumps (it can -and often does - happen when the bike is not moving). I think it's probably firmware related, but I'm past trying to work it out now, really. It doesn't happen all that often.

GERRYCAN
10-01-2011, 03:18 PM
I can't find any common factor in this. I don't think it's to do with contacts, though; the problem seems unrelated to bumps (it can -and often does - happen when the bike is not moving). I think it's probably firmware related, but I'm past trying to work it out now, really. It doesn't happen all that often.

I've moved on from my 705 to and 800, but I concur with all that you said here. In about 7000 miles and about a year, it happened to me only twice, within one week. Problems that are that intermittent are the most difficult to troubleshoot.

MARKPETERGARMIN
10-02-2011, 02:36 AM
Can't figure it out. My garmin 705 still shutted down with no reason.
I thought it was temperture but i tested at home until 47 degrees celcius and nothing happened.

My training mate has the same shutdown problem with the garmin 705. Tried older firmware 3.1 and reinstall 3.3, with or without flash cards. Still sudden shotdowns. What makes it more frustating is that the TCX files become unreadable after several shutdows.

My new 800 works flawlessly. I just got back from the French Alpes to ride some Tour the France Routes like Alpe 'd Huez and Col Galibier etc. No problem what so ever. video in Dutch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0fY85dADC4

Greetings!

CAWRIGHT1375
06-03-2012, 04:11 PM
I've started to experience battery life isssues with my Edge 705 and based on some searching of the forum, this thread seemed the most likely for an answer but none was found.

This is what is happening. I'll charge the unit over night per usual and then the next morning when I go to start it up, the unit turns on, then turns off and suddenly what was showing a full charge, now shows no charge whatsoever and the low battery notification pops up.

Today was especially frustrating because the unit was on and backlit and shut off twice. After the second shut down the low bat indicator popped up and I switched to the data screen and turned off the backlight. Again, when I'd started the ride it was showing a full charge and then less than 15 miles in it shuts off and by 18 miles in it said the battery was low.

I've contacted Garmin support and they said that battery life is 1000 charges which was no use and to try a hard reboot. My concern is that the battery is toast. I've had it since March/ April 2009. They also suggested I do a hard reboot.

Software is up to date.

Any suggestions?

LOOIGI
06-03-2012, 05:35 PM
...My concern is that the battery is toast. I've had it since March/ April 2009...Any suggestions?

Aftermarket battery:

http://www.batteryship.com/htmlos/htmlos.cgi/batteryship/catalog.html?item=361-00019-12&model=Edge+705

Installation:

http://www.batteryeducation.com/2011/06/garmin-edge-705-battery-replacement-instructions.html

Video instructions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbS4QKi48TM

As far as software being up to date, I find version 3.1 works most reliably for the way I use the unit.

CAWRIGHT1375
06-04-2012, 05:52 AM
Thanks!

Just after posting to this thread, I stumbled across the page with the links to the DIY battery replacement. I was having issues staying logged in on my laptop at home so couldn't post on that thread.

Have you tried the DIY method and how well did it work?

Thanks
Chris

LOOIGI
06-04-2012, 03:17 PM
Have you tried the DIY method and how well did it work?

No. I haven't needed to yet. The battery in my 1.5 year old refurb unit is still working well.

FUJIDUB
09-10-2012, 10:49 AM
This may not help others since there are apparently a million different reasons for the device crashing...

My unit would constantly shut off while trying to load a route. It would get to 100%, sit there for a few minutes then turn off. NEVER happened mid ride, only while trying to load a saved route on the device. It properly saves data of a ride where it's just collecting info but every time it tried to load a map, kaput!

Around page 4 or so of this thread, I noticed someone mention removing his SD card and the problem went away. I removed mine and the maps now load, all is right again in the world. No idea why it worked but it did, and I have access to actual navigation again on my 705. Sweet.

For those with the same non mid ride problem I had, hope this helps. Good luck!

JONEISEMAN
09-11-2012, 08:44 AM
I have recently run into this problem of the 705 shutting down while loading the route. Removing the SD card is not really an option since I have the North American Maps installed on the card.