PDA

View Full Version : Footpod orientation

TRYING2GOFAST
02-05-2010, 08:41 PM
I'm starting to try to run barefoot. Were I to get a RoadID or similar ankle bracelet and attach my footpod to it in a vertical orientation, would it work? Or does it have to be parallel to the ground to register impact?

ALAALA
02-06-2010, 03:29 AM
I'm starting to try to run barefoot. Were I to get a RoadID or similar ankle bracelet and attach my footpod to it in a vertical orientation, would it work? Or does it have to be parallel to the ground to register impact?

I'm quite sure you'd at least have a hard time finding the right calibration factor. AFAIK, the pod only knows about two dimensions (the plane we're running on). If you "tilt" the pod, its "image", sort of, of the plane will be very small (as wide as before, but much, much more shallow). I think it simply won't be able to get enough data, and not stable enough data to perform useful calculations.

Cue footpod experts!

t_smit
02-06-2010, 10:26 AM
The flat plane of the footpod should be on the top of your foot (where the laces would be on your shoes) but there is a broad range of angles where the pod should work fine. As you go higher up the foot the foot-strike impact changes and that might affect the reported distance, though.

I have seen friends run with Vibram Five-Fingers and a pod, and they reported it worked OK.
You could also tape the pod to your foot with some bandage tape. I've been meaning to try that but haven't gotten around to it.

MARTOWL
02-07-2010, 05:30 PM
I run with Vibram Five Fingers and use the footpod. My test was VFF KSOs on a treadmill recently when I was traveling. I attached the footpod to the velcro strap that goes across the upper part of the foot. After 4 miles on the treadmill they were less than 0.1 mile apart. As far as I could tell the treadmill and footpod measured the same distance. I think if you could find someway to attach it to the top of your foot it should work. Hope this helps.