PDA

View Full Version : How to kill Garmin update's "sc.exe"?

WEBBRA
09-22-2013, 01:56 PM
After a recent update to Garmin Express, I am now blessed with a pop-up every time I boot into Windows, notifying me that "A tool to aid in developing services for WindowsNT" needs permission to run. This wants to run "c:/windows/system32/sc.exe" as part of the "Garmin Core Update Service."

I do not want to have to click on the damned window every time I reboot.

I do not need to have the "update service" running constantly. I update two or three times a year and that's enough for me.

How the bloody hell do I get rid of this? I can't even fiddle with "sc.exe" since I'm informed by Windows that I "require permission from Trusted Installer to make changes to this file."

I am not happy.

I did change the permission on the Garmin Core Update Service to manual and it's not running now, but I still get the pop-up.

I changed the update schedule in Garmin Express to "never" but I still get the pop-up.

Unsat.

SUSSAMB
09-22-2013, 02:18 PM
Never seen this so all I can suggest is to uninstall Express to see if that resolves it :confused:

STUARTMW
09-22-2013, 02:23 PM
SC is a Windows program and has nothing specific to do with Garmin. SC is used for installing, from a command line, Windows services (programs that run whether anyone is logged on o not).

Garmin Express uses the "Garmin Core Update Service" in order to download stuff in the background.

Did you try and install GE using a standard user account? Pretty sure you need to have Administrator privileges to install the application.

WEBBRA
09-23-2013, 06:40 PM
Yes, after some poking around I did find that sc.exe is the (or "a"?) Windows service control manager. Fortunately, Win7 prevented me from shooting myself in the figurative foot WRT deleting/renaming it.

The update to Garmin Express was handled in the same way as always (and from an admin-privilaged account): launch, plug in GPSs (old 765, newer 2457), sit back and grind trough the updates.

I got rid of the annoying pop-up by changing the status of the Garmin Core Update Service from manual/stopped to disabled. Un-checking the Garmin Core Update Service entry in HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Services using the AutoRuns utility did nothing to stop the permission pop-up, nor did changing the service from the default "started" to "manual" and then stopping it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dous8ahk0akw9lv/GarminCoreUpdateService.jpg is a DropBox link to a photo of the offending pup-up. Tried to do a normal PrtScr capture but it was either too early in the startup sequence and the clipboard wasn't instantiated yet, or Win7 prevented PrtScr from "seeing" that. Camera worked, tho...

I could have lived with it, I guess, but one more friggin' thing to poke at on startup was too many.

10-06-2013, 08:35 PM
I have been seeing the above issue for a while now as well, as per the description WEBBRA gave.

Unfortunately I don't want to Disabled the "Garmin Core Update Service" as I don't want to have to remember to turn it back on occasionally to check for updates and apply them. Nor do I want to set this to run with an Administrator Account. It is supposed to run using the "Local System Account", and that is what it should do, without asking for UAC permission every time the PC is rebooted.

It shouldn't require UAC permission to run, as no Windows components are being updated. Usually only map data is being updated in the ProgramData directory. I guess sometimes the Garmin software itself is being updated, but if UAC permission is required for that it should ask then, and not at every reboot. If I don't see an answer soon I may uninstall and reinstall Garmin Express. That may fix the issue. But until then . . .

This is a problem caused by Garmin, and Garmin should fix it. I was hoping that they would issue an update to Garmin Express that would fix it, but I just updated to version 2.3.14.0, rebooted and the problem persists.

How about a fix Garmin? Soon!

10-10-2013, 08:54 AM
Same here on Windows 7 after update to 2.3.14.0 on September 26 and the Windows 7 updates on October 9. I get 2 of these popups at Windows startup. By the way, inspecting the certificate linked to in the popup shows that it expired 3 1/2 years ago.

10-23-2013, 09:10 AM
I am seeing the popup(s) for sc.exe, but not every time. Come on, Garmin, get your act together.

SUSSAMB
10-23-2013, 09:13 AM
I've never seen the pop ups, so can only suggest you look closer to home, ie an issue with your PC :)

10-23-2013, 09:16 AM
SUSSAMB - this is NOT a problem with my PC since this popup did not start happening until the most recent updates were installed from Garmin.

SUSSAMB
10-23-2013, 10:04 AM
That doesn't mean it's not an issue with your PC ... I have the latest updates also :)

PA3FBO
10-27-2013, 08:19 AM
Try in Garmin Express the following (as I have to translate the terms may not be accurate)
First go to Settings
There you'll find a box for having GE start whenever a GPS is connected, un-tick it.
Than go to Settings - Planning - Never
To disable GE to check for updates.
You also can go to Settings - Planning - Advanced
There you can set the time on a day of the week GE is allowed to check for updates.

11-02-2013, 03:30 AM
After a recent update to Garmin Express, I am now blessed with a pop-up every time I boot into Windows, notifying me that "A tool to aid in developing services for WindowsNT" needs permission to run. This wants to run "c:/windows/system32/sc.exe" as part of the "Garmin Core Update Service."

I do not need to have the "update service" running constantly. I update two or three times a year and that's enough for me.

How the bloody hell do I get rid of this? I can't even fiddle with "sc.exe" since I'm informed by Windows that I "require permission from Trusted Installer to make changes to this file."

I am not happy.

I did change the permission on the Garmin Core Update Service to manual and it's not running now, but I still get the pop-up.

I changed the update schedule in Garmin Express to "never" but I still get the pop-up.

Unsat.

If you don't want the dawn thing to pop up again a quick and easy way is to inactivate the "GarminExpressTrayApp" to start with Windows. Here is a quick solution in three steps:
1) Install CCleaner program from Piriform. The "C"rap Cleaner does many usefull things including inactivation of annoying programs starting with Windows...
2) Click on "Tools" vertical menu on the left, click on "Startup" submenu then a right click on "GarminExpressTrayApp" and just inactivate the process...
3) That's it, you're done. I'm sorry there isn't any third step! ;-)
Reboot you should be fine. Don't forget to start manually the Garmin Express program when you want to update maps (before you connect the device).

Titou.

POPEJ.
11-02-2013, 04:38 AM
You don't need "C"rap Cleaner to disable startup program. System tool for this action is:
Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> System Configuration -> uncheck box in Startup Tab

To disable Garmin service use:
Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services -> Garmin Core Update Service -> Stop and set Startup type: Disabled

Express will restore both settings whenever you start it.

11-08-2013, 01:28 AM
I've never seen the pop ups, so can only suggest you look closer to home, ie an issue with your PC :)

As the error specifically refers to Garmin Express, it doesn't matter whether it is caused by something on our PCs, such as recent Windows Updates, or not. The error occurs in one of the Garmin Express components, and Garmin should be at least telling us what the problem is, and that have informed the organisation that caused it. At best they should be fixing the problem.

Instead they have not responded here, or to my support email sent on October 7th. That isn't very good form.

11-13-2013, 08:05 AM
I have been getting the same popup "A tool to aid in developing services for Windows NT." It refers to a Garmin location in my hard drive. I am running Windows 7 Home edition.

Does Garmin monitor this board and can they supply a solution for this problem. The popup will come up again after being accepted, at least once and sometimes twice, after each restart.

Is there an alternate way to contact Garmin about this problem, if they do not reply here?

11-20-2013, 02:37 PM
I have been getting the same popup "A tool to aid in developing services for Windows NT." It refers to a Garmin location in my hard drive. I am running Windows 7 Home edition.

Does Garmin monitor this board and can they supply a solution for this problem. The popup will come up again after being accepted, at least once and sometimes twice, after each restart.

Is there an alternate way to contact Garmin about this problem, if they do not reply here?

So, I get the same problem. Startup - usually once per day - pops up the box about sc.exe and it is definitely linked to Garmin Core Update Service. Garmin, it is time to fix this, not deny that you don't ever have the problem. i'm using Windows 7 Pro on a brand new Dell Latitude and it wasn't doing this before installing Garmin Express. Fix it!

Brazel22
11-20-2013, 04:19 PM
https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId=%7B86071930-4b17-11e3-f27b-000000000000%7D

SUSSAMB
11-21-2013, 12:48 AM
As the error specifically refers to Garmin Express, it doesn't matter whether it is caused by something on our PCs, such as recent Windows Updates, or not. The error occurs in one of the Garmin Express components, and Garmin should be at least telling us what the problem is, and that have informed the organisation that caused it. At best they should be fixing the problem.

Instead they have not responded here, or to my support email sent on October 7th. That isn't very good form.

They posted a FAQ a few days after your post https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId=%7B86071930-4b17-11e3-f27b-000000000000%7D

LARRYAMATO
11-21-2013, 06:47 AM
Yes I too seem to have difficulty with the pop-up. When it is disabled and after you use Garmin Express again the settings re-occur due to the fact you have to let Garmin into your system. After a while when the system reboots and you don't use Garmin it doesn't re-appear..
Larry ...
Montana 650t..

11-23-2013, 02:03 AM
They posted a FAQ a few days after your post https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId=%7B86071930-4b17-11e3-f27b-000000000000%7D

Unfortunately that seems to apply only to Vista & Windows but not XP, which is what I am still using. Tried it; didn't work.

11-23-2013, 04:38 AM
i have also set the Garmin Core Updater Service to Disabled, but I still have the pop up.
This happens every time I open my session.

The Moderator says that this might be an issue with our computers, and he/she might be right. However, I disagree in that Garmin should not care about it. It certainly happens in some computers, only with Garmin products, so I guess it is their moral responsibility to fix it.

My two cents

I have been seeing the above issue for a while now as well, as per the description WEBBRA gave.

Unfortunately I don't want to Disabled the "Garmin Core Update Service" as I don't want to have to remember to turn it back on occasionally to check for updates and apply them. Nor do I want to set this to run with an Administrator Account. It is supposed to run using the "Local System Account", and that is what it should do, without asking for UAC permission every time the PC is rebooted.

It shouldn't require UAC permission to run, as no Windows components are being updated. Usually only map data is being updated in the ProgramData directory. I guess sometimes the Garmin software itself is being updated, but if UAC permission is required for that it should ask then, and not at every reboot. If I don't see an answer soon I may uninstall and reinstall Garmin Express. That may fix the issue. But until then . . .

This is a problem caused by Garmin, and Garmin should fix it. I was hoping that they would issue an update to Garmin Express that would fix it, but I just updated to version 2.3.14.0, rebooted and the problem persists.

How about a fix Garmin? Soon!

STUARTMW
11-23-2013, 06:03 AM
I don't use Garmin Express (I use GarminMapUpdater to update my maps) but do keep a copy (2.3.16 currently) in a Virtual Machine (WinXP SP3 in my case) so I can play with it. A few versions ago it started giving me a "Run As" prompt when I booted the VM. I looked at Garmin's FAQ as posted

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?56258-How-to-kill-Garmin-update-s-quot-sc-exe-quot&p=232595#post232595

in this very thread and the problem was fixed.

11-26-2013, 01:42 AM
Why on earth does stuff like does this stuff have to run continuously? Why not just when I choose to run it? So much of this junk just gets dumped onto one's computer without so much as a "by your leave".

I have deleted Garmin Express.

SUSSAMB
11-26-2013, 05:39 AM
That's your choice. Others prefer to let it run in the background so that they receive notifications of software, map, voice and other updates as they become available. Both approaches are equally valid :)

11-29-2013, 07:51 AM
I updated our Garmin device and am getting this A tool to aid developing services for Windows NT and the service is Garmin Core Services. Windows7. I don't have anything garmin in msconfig checked and I disabled the Garmin service in the Services panel and restarted. Still getting the pop up when the PC starts. Very annoying....

Any ideas? This all happened after the garmin device update... not a Windows Update.

AMeyer5
12-05-2013, 08:04 AM
I updated the Garmin Express and the next time I rebooted I got the same dialog box the next morning. I didn't see if anyone has posted a picture as proof to Garmin, however I included one.14996 I don't know why it keeps coming up, but I "OK" it two to three times everytime I reboot. It's quite annoying.

12-06-2013, 12:56 PM
I have the same problem with that sc.exe and Garmin core update service. I tried the fix posted in th FAQ - msconfig - normal start. It didn't do any good.

HAWKTALK3_
12-06-2013, 01:19 PM
Why am I receiving a user account control prompt after restarting the computer after using Garmin Express?

There are times when the User Account Control (UAC) prompt displays after restarting the computer or when using Garmin Express with Windows Vista/7. This UAC prompt wants to allow the use of sc.exe for the Garmin core update service. To stop this prompt from displaying every time the computer is turned on:
Windows Vista/7:
1. Hold down the Windows key + R
2. Type msconfig
3. Select Normal startup under the general tab
4. Click OK
5. Restart the computer

If the UAC prompt still displays, a password will need to be set on the account. Refer to the Microsoft webpage regarding setting a password: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/protect-your-computer-with-a-password

The UAC prompt should no longer display when starting the computer. Once the password is set, it will need to be used when logging into the computer from that point forward. If the above steps do not resolve the issue, a different computer will need to be used to allow Garmin Express to open without the UAC prompt.

If you need further assistance please contact us directly at 1-800-800-1020

hawktalk3

JACKK7
12-06-2013, 11:01 PM
Why am I receiving a user account control prompt after restarting the computer after using Garmin Express?
There are times when the User Account Control (UAC) prompt displays after restarting the computer or when using Garmin Express with Windows Vista/7. This UAC prompt wants to allow the use of sc.exe for the Garmin core update service. To stop this prompt from displaying every time the computer is turned on:
Windows Vista/7:
1. Hold down the Windows key + R
2. Type msconfig
3. Select Normal startup under the general tab
4. Click OK
5. Restart the computer

It didn't help

If the UAC prompt still displays, a password will need to be set on the account. Refer to the Microsoft webpage regarding setting a password: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/protect-your-computer-with-a-password

I don't want another prompt - for password this time

The UAC prompt should no longer display when starting the computer. Once the password is set, it will need to be used when logging into the computer from that point forward. If the above steps do not resolve the issue, a different computer will need to be used to allow Garmin Express to open without the UAC prompt.

How I should to this

If you need further assistance please contact us directly at 1-800-800-1020
hawktalk3

It didn't help
Uninstaling GE helps, but this is not I expected

12-14-2013, 09:28 AM
Webra, I've also had this very exact same problem, and have followed several suggested fixes. More recently I just followed the advice given by Garmin as posted earlier, but I shouldn't have to change MY computer settings for their bug issues! Anyway, I just changed startup to normal, but I also unchecked the box for Garmin Core Update. Guess I'll see if that fixes the problem. If not, I will be uninstalling their Garmin Express. Garmin seems to have a problem with end user results. Webexpress is a much faster program for loading updated maps on my automotive GPS. However in the process, that software will not load the same maps on my computer anymore (used in some of the programs for vacation or travel planning....such as Basecamp, Mapsource, etc.), and for that I need to return to their earlier map update product. I am using Vista.

12-20-2013, 11:07 AM
Same problem

12-20-2013, 11:11 AM
Same Problem. Even spent $80.00 to have Windows wiped and reinstalled by Microsoft Certified Distributors. Problem still exists after installing Garmin Updater.

SUSSAMB
12-20-2013, 11:18 AM
I suspect you mean Express, Updater isn't 'installed'. Either way have you followed the advice given in the FAQ

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId=%7B86071930-4b17-11e3-f27b-000000000000%7D

12-20-2013, 11:46 AM
I have the same issue on a Gateway LX, ATX. Even paid for expert Microsoft Certified Distributor (Imager) the fix it. After factory install of Windows 7 Pro, issue returns.

12-20-2013, 11:51 AM
The fix is in removing the software Garmin Express. The old Garmin Updater I used before was slow in downloading, but at least didn't cause these kinds of issues. Plus it also allows one to download the map to one's computer as well. Garmin has some great products. And for the most part some great customer service folks. But sometimes their software developers are lacking!

12-20-2013, 11:53 AM
The FAQ was followed. That does not work. Changing the start up to normal really has nothing to do with the Express program causing the popup. Updater may not be the correct name of the program. It is the old program that took for ever to download new maps and then installed them to either or both your computer and GPS device!

3DKiwi
12-22-2013, 11:16 AM
I'm getting this as well. F**king hopeless Garmin. I shouldn't have to mess with settings just to get my computer to run properly. I have uninstalled Garmin Express and I'll install it once every 6 months just to update my device then uninstall it again.

STUARTMW
12-22-2013, 11:21 AM
I...I'll install it once every 6 months just to update my device then uninstall it again.

Why don't you (and anyone else with Garmin Express issues) just uninstall it and use GarminMapUpdater (http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.exe) (a stand alone program that doesn't install) instead? Just keep a copy handy and run it when new maps are available.

I, and others, have been saying that for the last 10 months (i.e. since Express was released).

12-22-2013, 12:02 PM
The Express works much faster than Garmin Updater.... However, Express (along with the msg popup issues...) can't load the maps on to your computer, but rather only on to your GPS device. I removed Express and have no more problems. I'll just use Updater and let it run over night or in the background!

STUARTMW
12-22-2013, 12:05 PM
The Express works much faster than Garmin Updater....

Perhaps on your machine(s) but I don't think that's true for everyone. GarminMapUpdater downloads and installs map updates (to my PC and device) in about 45-60 mins for me.

FYI Express can load maps to your PC. Since I don't use it I don't recall the exact steps but they've been posted on this board numerous times. Here's a screen capture

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?35690-Garmin-Express-2-1-13&p=188079#post188079

12-23-2013, 07:20 PM
[QUOTE=WEBBRA;217212]After a recent update to Garmin Express, I am now blessed with a pop-up every time I boot into Windows, notifying me that "A tool to aid in developing services for WindowsNT" needs permission to run. This wants to run "c:/windows/system32/sc.exe" as part of the "Garmin Core Update Service."

I am not happy.

_______

I have the same problem. I updated my Garmin a week ago. Now every time I turn on my computer I get the message about User Account Control asking me if I want the following program to make changes to my computer. Whether I click Yes or No, the message always returns the next time I turn on my computer. The program name that this is about is stated to be: A tool to aid in developing services for Windows NT. The verified publisher is Microsoft Windows. The little box is sitting there right now as I type this. If I click on the X it will go away. I want it gone for good.

12-23-2013, 08:01 PM
As you read thru previous messages in this thread, you will find the only fix is to remove Garmin Express from your computer. That resolved the issue for me.

12-28-2013, 10:39 AM
Where did you go to change Garmin update to disabled and how did you get there?

Thanks,
Sharon

12-29-2013, 10:11 PM
That doesn't mean it's not an issue with your PC ... I have the latest updates also :)

I have the same darn problem. It's annoying.

01-01-2014, 12:44 PM
Garmin core update service is the only service on my PC that causes these alerts. Very irritating. Are you listening, Garmin?

MAUGARA
01-02-2014, 09:26 AM
The same for my windows 7 sistem. Are you listening, garmin.?. No solution yet ?

SUSSAMB
01-02-2014, 09:37 AM

01-04-2014, 08:33 AM
I have the same problem - with the popup being displayed every time I start up (version 2.3.18.0 and Win7).

01-07-2014, 07:30 PM
I have the same problem and agree with all of the comments posted by WEBBRA! Furthermore, when the moderator (SUSSAMB) suggests a response to the effect of "gee, it doesn't happen on my machine, just uninstall, reboot, or whatever" to solve the problem, I am convinced that Garmin is strictly a hardware company and should probably outsource software development and support to more competent folks.

glidster
01-07-2014, 09:02 PM
Same thing happens to me. What can't Garmin fix this? Come on guys!

SUSSAMB
01-07-2014, 11:48 PM
I have the same problem and agree with all of the comments posted by WEBBRA! Furthermore, when the moderator (SUSSAMB) suggests a response to the effect of "gee, it doesn't happen on my machine, just uninstall, reboot, or whatever" to solve the problem, I am convinced that Garmin is strictly a hardware company and should probably outsource software development and support to more competent folks.

I'm not conected with Garmin, so my advice is purely my advice, not theirs, like most folks here when they give advice. The fact is that only a handful of people have this problem, and Garmin issued a FAQ to try to help. Since it's not a universal problem but PC specific you can hardly blame Garmin. I too have issues, my laptop only works with an older version of mapupdater, but it's an issue with my laptop, not Garmin :)

01-10-2014, 11:29 AM
Why does the moderator insist this is a few people, I have been putting up with this non-sense and only just got so pissed off that I searched on it. Lots of people seem to me from the thread to be having the same problem on many PC and operating systems so it is up to Garmin to sort this, cannot see me buying one in future if this problem persists. Why not just have it only update when I ask it to? I have switched off every thing on the tools menu makes no difference, took it out in MSCONFIG makes no difference.

STUARTMW
01-10-2014, 11:34 AM
Why not just have it only update when I ask it to?

If you'd bothered to read this entire thread you'd see you can do that.

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?56258-How-to-kill-Garmin-update-s-quot-sc-exe-quot&p=239902#post239902

SUSSAMB
01-10-2014, 11:46 AM
Lots of people seem to me from the thread to be having the same problem on many PC and operating systems ...

Your basis for this statement is?

There are about 25 folks who have posted in this thread, there are thousands who use these forums and many hundreds of thousands more who own Garmin GPS. At best it's a 'few' people having this problem. There are work arounds posted here and a Garmin FAQ to help those 'few'.

01-10-2014, 04:13 PM
Sorry Moderator, but this is a major issue and not with just a few people. You seem to be taking sides which does not help the issue. I finally fixed it by removing the software. Garmin's stated fix really isn't a fix, but rather a work around that doesn't work. This should be an easy bug for Garmin to fix, if they cared too. It did not start happening until the update.

SUSSAMB
01-11-2014, 02:21 AM
Certainly not taking sides, I'm more than happy to complain to Garmin if I feel they have it wrong. You say it's a major issue, but the facts simply don't support that. Glad you have your problem resolved.

MILLINGM
01-13-2014, 01:04 PM
Same problem here... I have read Garmin's suggestion about altering startup to Normal and setting user password.

Note: I have reset password, but I am not keen on going to normal startup as I have one or two items unchecked (not Garmin related). Everything else working fine.

Didn't seem to be an issue until I updated Express. Perhaps I should follow suit and remove Express and use the seperate Map Updater tool.

DREAMPLUS
01-13-2014, 07:44 PM
I get it too. It's not a major issue if you uninstall the software.

Certainly not taking sides, I'm more than happy to complain to Garmin if I feel they have it wrong. You say it's a major issue, but the facts simply don't support that. Glad you have your problem resolved.

01-19-2014, 04:03 PM
"There are about 25 folks who have posted in this thread, there are thousands who use these forums and many hundreds of thousands more who own Garmin GPS. At best it's a 'few' people having this problem. There are work arounds posted here and a Garmin FAQ to help those 'few'."

Hmmm...

... and there are those who have this annoying little problem and have yet to discover that it is a garmin program triggering the pop-up and have yet to discover the forum and have yet to post to it.

I hereby declare myself to to have moved from the 'unknown unknowns' to the 'known knowns'.

The work arounds, other than not using express, are not trivial and should not be required when it is clear that a garmin program has changed its behaviour following an update.

P.S. I wouldn't have bothered posting that I also have this problem as it has already been adequately described by other posters until I read that my having not posted implies that I do not have the problem.

01-19-2014, 08:08 PM
Your basis for this statement is?

There are about 25 folks who have posted in this thread, there are thousands who use these forums and many hundreds of thousands more who own Garmin GPS. At best it's a 'few' people having this problem. There are work arounds posted here and a Garmin FAQ to help those 'few'.

There are many people with the same problem that "lurk" instead of actively posting. I am usually one of these but registered an account just to point out to you that you can't just say "25 folks out of 100,000 posted so these are the only people with the problem."

I also think it's worth noting that neither the Garmin FAQ entry nor any of the work-arounds here work for me, save uninstalling the software entirely. This problem cropped up last week, and started immediately after the latest Garmin software update.

SUSSAMB
01-20-2014, 12:06 AM
There are many people with the same problem that "lurk" instead of actively posting.

And you know they have 'the same problem' because ... :confused:

01-21-2014, 09:20 AM
Add me to the list of "lurkers" who came here only after Googling the symptom, and living with it for a few weeks. And especially after seeing the moderator dismiss one case after another as a "minority" of users, I had to chime in. I will uninstall the software.

SUSSAMB
01-21-2014, 09:35 AM
Ok, so we now have about 30 ... and I accept there will be many more, but it's still only a very small minority. Unfortunately it seems that whatever the program, not just Garmin ones, Windows occasionally glitches ... I have some oddities on my Toshiba laptop that don't occur on my HP desktop, and vice versa. I suspect the hard truth is that Garmin software folk have enough to do and don't have the time to try to resolve issues only experienced by a small minority, however annoying the issue may be.

So the choice is either follow the advice in the FAQ or don't, and instead continue to use WebUpdater (http://www8.garmin.com/products/webupdater/howtoinstall.jsp) and GarminMapUpdater for PC (http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.exe). It's not as though you're dead in the water without Express.

Of course you could also switch to a mac and escape Windows altogether :)

STUARTMW
01-21-2014, 09:43 AM
...continue to use WebUpdater (http://www8.garmin.com/products/webupdater/howtoinstall.jsp) and GarminMapUpdater for PC (http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.exe).

That's exactly what I do and will continue to do. Both of those older apps are small, lightweight and perform the same function as Garmin Express. I see no compelling reason to use GE other than that's what Garmin says to use.

I've never known WebUpdater to have any issue at all. The latest version of GarminMapUpdater (3.2.2) seems to have problems in some special circumstances

CityNavigator AU/NZ weird update issue (https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?70624-CityNavigator-AU-NZ-weird-update-issue&p=249157#post249157)

but using 3.0.11 works in most of those cases.

01-21-2014, 01:17 PM
What I don't get is why a moderator wants to continue standing behind Garmin on an issue that they really should fix?

STUARTMW
01-21-2014, 01:21 PM
What I don't get is why people continue to come here just to bitch rather than ditching Express and using the stated (over and over again) alternatives.

One is either interested in a solution or in ranting. Ranting here is going to have exactly zero effect. None whatsoever. Live with it.

For those that just want to get firmware/map updates use WebUpdater/GarminMapUpdater and get on with your lives.

SUSSAMB
01-21-2014, 01:59 PM
On that note, and as this has now been done to death, I'm locking this thread.