PDA

View Full Version : GPS data

FLAVIO1966
01-26-2010, 04:57 AM
Hello,
I have bought my forerunner 305 about 4 months ago ..and crossing fingers, I haven't experienced yet most of the troubles listed in the various posts..
Of course, retreiving satellite signal is always slow, but fast enough to get them during the stretching time...

however, during the last 4 or 5 runs, I notice on the map some rests (as well as not fully accurate speed/pace data) : auto pause is turned off . could it depends on an temporary loss of GPS signal ? should I check any specific setting?
many thanks to whom would be able to help

philipshambrook
01-26-2010, 01:59 PM
Use Webupdater to check you've got all the latest software updates as a first check.

If I remember correctl, autopause is activity dependant. You will need to ensure it is turned off for each activity you want it turned off. It is possible you've turned it off for one activity but not the others.

When you say you are not getting 'fully accurate speed/pace data', what are you basing this observation on? Do you have another device you are comparing with? Is it perception?

GPS signal can be degraded if the overhead cover restricts view to the sky. My experience with the 305 and the 310XT is that the 305 is more sensitive to signal degradation than the 310XT. Certainly, I have had better results trail running in dense bush with the 310XT.

If you are going out for runs less than 3 hours, you could try setting it to record at 1 second intervals. Although this will collect more information, it might make little difference if the satellite cover is degraded.

FLAVIO1966
02-01-2010, 08:18 AM
Use Webupdater to check you've got all the latest software updates as a first check. I'll check firstly, and hopefully everything will be fixed

If I remember correctl, autopause is activity dependant. You will need to ensure it is turned off for each activity you want it turned off. It is possible you've turned it off for one activity but not the others. I'll check also, though I'm almost sure that the autopause was turned off in RUN mode

When you say you are not getting 'fully accurate speed/pace data', what are you basing this observation on? Do you have another device you are comparing with? Is it perception? not having a second device, but I would say that's a bit more than perception.. during a just 30/35 min run, fully outdoor, without stops, I fully understand the pace will not be homogeneous, even though slowing down to 9/10 min/km or even pausing for about 2 sec seems too much (it was shown only in 2/3 logs the others where ok)

GPS signal can be degraded if the overhead cover restricts view to the sky. My experience with the 305 and the 310XT is that the 305 is more sensitive to signal degradation than the 310XT. Certainly, I have had better results trail running in dense bush with the 310XT.

If you are going out for runs less than 3 hours, you could try setting it to record at 1 second intervals need to check whether I deselected the 1sec data (setting that I'm usually using) for these logs where some "unexpected" rests came out . Although this will collect more information, it might make little difference if the satellite cover is degraded.

Hello PHILIPSHAMBROOK and thank you for your reply, I have added some comment in red, but will however check for an update of software first and setting for all activities