PDA

View Full Version : Corrupt .fit files

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

KC15GARMIN
07-25-2010, 09:01 PM
Hi. What about mine on post #236? :confused:

SCICOGARMIN, I forwarded your file on for further investigation and forgot to mention it when I posted the other fixed files. It seems to be an issue with your Garmin Connect account, so you may want to post about it in the Garmin Connect part of the forums. I will make sure to follow up with the Garmin Connect team tomorrow.

KC15GARMIN
07-25-2010, 09:14 PM
EJOHNYH and ISEDLAR - Your fixed files are attached.

I noticed both of you are using out of date software, so I would highly recommend updating by using the Garmin Web Updater (http://www8.garmin.com/products/webupdater/howtoinstall.jsp).

EJOHNYH
07-26-2010, 04:16 AM
Great! :-) Thanks a lot!

ISEDLAR
07-26-2010, 06:31 AM
EJOHNYH and ISEDLAR - Your fixed files are attached.

I noticed both of you are using out of date software, so I would highly recommend updating by using the Garmin Web Updater (http://www8.garmin.com/products/webupdater/howtoinstall.jsp).

Great!!!
Already updated sw.
Thank you!!

NICOLA.BOLLINI
07-26-2010, 10:51 AM
With the last version of the software (2.40)I have a .fit file corrupted, I've try to upload to connect.garmin.com, but system check the file but don't upload it, the file seems stucked in upload status for several minutes. The same with the TC.

Thank you

SCICOGARMIN
07-27-2010, 03:35 AM
SCICOGARMIN, I forwarded your file on for further investigation and forgot to mention it when I posted the other fixed files. It seems to be an issue with your Garmin Connect account, so you may want to post about it in the Garmin Connect part of the forums. I will make sure to follow up with the Garmin Connect team tomorrow.
I did it. Now I attached the file. The thread is:
https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=10161

RDONSON
07-27-2010, 07:49 AM
With the last version of the software (2.40)I have a .fit file corrupted, I've try to upload to connect.garmin.com, but system check the file but don't upload it, the file seems stucked in upload status for several minutes. The same with the TC.

Thank you

The file is only 70 bytes in size. That's not enough to contain any ride data.

SCICOGARMIN
07-29-2010, 03:15 AM
I did it. Now I attached the file. The thread is:
https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=10161
@KC15GARMIN: news for me?

KC15GARMIN
07-30-2010, 12:31 PM
I unfortunately can't help you any further but there has been a ticket filed for your issue and it is being investigated.

WERRU
08-01-2010, 08:13 AM
Another corrupt .fit file. :rolleyes:
It was recorded yesterday during a course, that I rode. Shortly before the "finish" it freezes.
Today same sh*t again. My old FR305 did it much better.

RICHARDMELLIOT
08-04-2010, 03:14 AM
Hi

A recent long run recorded using my Forerunner 110 seems to be exhibiting all the same symptoms as people are describing in this thread. Are you able to help with my file?

I haven't had any problems uploading files before, but this is the longest run (and biggest file) that I've tried to upload.

Thanks!
Richard

VNET59
08-04-2010, 05:04 AM
Can someone help me with those corrupted files?

Thanks in advance,

Vincent

JCHAPMAN
08-06-2010, 12:15 PM
I also have a corrupt .fit file. Please can you help!

BONIFAST
08-06-2010, 07:21 PM
Can someone help me with that .fit file ??? KC15GARMIN or anybody ;)

Thx in advance

SLORS73
08-07-2010, 03:23 AM
Hi,
I have a file that just will not upload, gc gets stuck in "Uploading" forever and tc does not even find it.
Also, has anybody had problems with completely lost activities? I have at least two, possibly three, rides that simply do not exist on the 500. Not corrupt or anything like that, just not existing. I did have some problems with freezes at that time but I did not think that they would disappear completely.

Thanks in advance,

CL@UDIO
08-07-2010, 07:51 AM
Can someone help me with .fit files ??? (KC15GARMIN is possible ?)

CYCLING41
08-10-2010, 01:01 AM
Please advise as to what can be done to fix this corrupt file. This was my 230km 9hr personal best ride and I am really hoping it can be salvaged!

thank you

WERRU
08-11-2010, 12:27 PM
Hello GARMIN,
does anyone care about this problems? Im a little bit dissapointed, that EDGE 500 does NOT do, what it should! :mad:

CYCLING41
08-14-2010, 03:55 AM
Are you still available to assist with recovery of these corrupt .fit files?

thanks

FACTORYOFSPEED
08-14-2010, 06:18 PM
This is really getting annoying. Another .fit file tonight that won't upload to Garmin Connect. 24 activities and 2 that won't upload. Grrrrrr.....

And another disappointed user here too. One activity, a monster training ride that I was really looking forward to seeing......NOTHING. What a piss off. Is there any way of manually uploading a .fit file to your account for viewing?

KC15GARMIN
08-17-2010, 08:54 AM
JCHAPMAN and RICHARDMELLIOT - Your fixed files are attached. In both of your cases, the issue that caused your file to be corrupt has been fixed by the most recent version of device firmware. Please use WebUpdater (http://www.garmin.com/products/webupdater/howtoinstall.jsp)to update.

WERRU - Your file is the first corrupt file I have seen created by version 2.40 of the Edge 500 firmware. Can you provide any further information about how this activity was reset? Feel free to PM me with any details you can remember.

It does look like you did not reset immediately after finishing your ride and that may have contributed to the problem, so I would suggest you try to do that in the future.

CYCLING41 - I was able to successfully upload your activity file but when I try to view it in Garmin Connect I am getting an error. I will have to do some further investigation on this.

CLAUDIO, VNET59, SLORS73, and BONIFAST - I was unfortunately not able to fix your files but noticed most of you are not using the latest version of device firmware. Please use WebUpdater (http://www.garmin.com/products/webupdater/howtoinstall.jsp)to update.

I'd also like to remind everyone that for best results, you should be resetting your activities right after completing your rides and not waiting until a day or two later to reset or trying to string together multiple days worth of data in a single activity.

KC15GARMIN
08-17-2010, 08:59 AM
!!IMPORTANT!!

If you have not updated to the latest version of firmware, version 2.40, please do so by using the Garmin WebUpdater (http://www.garmin.com/products/webupdater/howtoinstall.jsp)!! This firmware update fixes many of the issues that cause corrupt FIT files.

MIANOS
08-18-2010, 06:32 AM
I've just looked at the .fit file format and written a python SDK for it. Now I'm stunned corruption is so rare! The design of the file stream is such that a single error in the stream will irrecoverably corrupt the reader for the rest of the file. The only way to recover data is to do a heuristic evaluation. Kudos to Garmin for fixing the files so far. :)

UKBLOKE
08-18-2010, 08:30 AM
I've just looked at the .fit file format and written a python SDK for it. Now I'm stunned corruption is so rare! The design of the file stream is such that a single error in the stream will irrecoverably corrupt the reader for the rest of the file. The only way to recover data is to do a heuristic evaluation. Kudos to Garmin for fixing the files so far. :)

I completely agree. A good feature would have been a way to distinguish the start of a record and length of a record (with a reasonable level of probability) when scanning through bytes in the file. Also note that when finishing writing a file you have to go back to the beginning and write the record data size in bytes into the header field. This means that any partially written FIT file is going to be considered "corrupt" by the spec, until the final record is written and the data size updated. You wouldn't want to seek to the beginning of the file and rewrite the header size every record when the file is going to FLASH. I think Dynastream should have used a slightly less compact file format to give better corruption handling - eg. would one or maybe two extra bytes per record really have been such a big deal (eg. for a pre-amble header byte and a length)?

Nonetheless, it seems that with some simple heuristics it should be possible to recover a lot of corrupt FIT files automatically with just some records around the point of corruption being lost (which should be no big deal in most cases compared to losing the whole file). My FIT parser has a strict and non-strict mode so that I can either follow the spec to the letter or be more tolerant. In fact, I can parse many of these so-called corrrupt FIT files without issue (even in "strict" mode), so I don't know what the Garmin software is choking on. I do ignore a lot of the "extraneous" non-activity information for my purposes though.

DJCONNEL
08-19-2010, 08:05 AM
Where is your FIT parser? Is it publicly available?

JCHAPMAN
08-19-2010, 01:14 PM
Thanks for your help KC15Garmin. Have upgraded the firmware so hopefully this will fix it.

RDONSON
08-19-2010, 04:45 PM
..... Also note that when finishing writing a file you have to go back to the beginning and write the record data size in bytes into the header field. This means that any partially written FIT file is going to be considered "corrupt" by the spec, until the final record is written and the data size updated. You wouldn't want to seek to the beginning of the file and rewrite the header size every record when the file is going to FLASH. I think Dynastream should have used a slightly less compact file format to give better corruption handling - eg. would one or maybe two extra bytes per record really have been such a big deal (eg. for a pre-amble header byte and a length)?....

T_SMIT from Dynastream is often on these forums and I wonder if he(?) would like to comment on this.

ANDRE_CARVALHO
08-22-2010, 05:16 AM
After several thousends of km in sucessfull recorded activities, yesterday Edge 500 failed again. Or at least, the file was not sucessfully saved as I cannot upload it do GC ou TC or even ridewithgps.com

No visible problems during the ride (apart the usual sluggish update on the course map). I don't mark laps or stop the stopwatch during the ride.

I have the lastest firmware, of course. Because, before that, having dozens of corrupt files was a very frustrating experience. Is it back now?

As usual I'm very carefull with the stop/reset/shutdown procedure in order to eliminate as possible human error out of the equation.

Next two weekends I will have two of the most important rides of the year, so I hope Edge won't fail there.

Meanwhine, is it possible to check my .fit file for possible recovery? Also hope it can give some tips on what went wrong.

Send it attached.

Thanks in advance
http://gps.andrecarvalho.eu

RICHARDMELLIOT
08-23-2010, 02:48 PM
Thanks for your help. I have upgraded to the latest version of firmware.

ORBIPLAYA
08-28-2010, 08:05 AM
Hi,

Is it possible to take a look at my attached .fit file and fix it if need be?

Thank you,
Pete

HAMMOND9705
08-28-2010, 09:28 AM
This is my first corrupt file. Using 2.40 and did not notice anything while riding

Only other thing different is that I did delete some files from the unit after yesterday's ride (before starting today)

melletog_
08-29-2010, 12:37 PM
The attached file is from an 83 mile ride yesterday. As you can see, it's only 12kb, whereas a .fit file from a 60 mile ride I did last week is 252kb, so clearly something went wrong. I wasn't able to upload it to Garmin Connect, and Training Center only shows some of the data.

RACINGHEART
08-31-2010, 12:49 PM
I completely agree. A good feature would have been a way to distinguish the start of a record and length of a record (with a reasonable level of probability) when scanning through bytes in the file. Also note that when finishing writing a file you have to go back to the beginning and write the record data size in bytes into the header field. This means that any partially written FIT file is going to be considered "corrupt" by the spec, until the final record is written and the data size updated. You wouldn't want to seek to the beginning of the file and rewrite the header size every record when the file is going to FLASH. I think Dynastream should have used a slightly less compact file format to give better corruption handling - eg. would one or maybe two extra bytes per record really have been such a big deal (eg. for a pre-amble header byte and a length)?(Snip)
Now that it's been announced that the Garmin Edge 800 will use the FIT file format rather than follow in the 705's footsteps with its TCX format, it will be interesting to see whether the 800 suffers the same corrupt file problems that have plagued many a 500 user at one time or another, or Garmin enhances their firmware to somehow reduce the possibility of a bad file getting saved. I guess they have a few months to work on it before the 800 is officially released to the early adopters out there that have cash burning a hole in their pockets. ;)

UKBLOKE
08-31-2010, 01:29 PM
I guess they have a few months to work on it before the 800 is officially released to the early adopters out there that have cash burning a hole in their pockets. ;)

They've probably already completed firmware for the production run to hit the Christmas window. But yes they probably have a little while to roll out improved firmware via their web updater. One hope that lessons learned and bugs fixed on the 705/500 will give a better experience for 800 early adopters.

pudadaq
09-05-2010, 02:21 AM
attatched my corrupted *.fit file in my activities folder
it's about 100km ride yesterday
I can't upload this file to garmin connect and also can't read another applications such as TCX converter

how can i fix this file to upload garmin connect successfully?

duchunter
09-05-2010, 07:10 PM
Here is my fist corrupted FIT file. It is from a 2.5 hours ride on my TT bike. It won't load into Training Center, WKO, Training Peaks, or Garmin Connect. It would be great to know what is going wrong. I have a few big events and I am now afraid to take the Edge 500 on them, because I want the files from the events. I may just take the 705.

I wish someone could tell me what went wrong here.

HAMMOND9705
09-06-2010, 11:54 AM
Had another corrupt file today, this is 2 in just over a week.

ORBIPLAYA
09-07-2010, 05:34 AM
Hi KC15GARMIN,

Is it possible to take a look at my attached .fit file's and fix them if need be?

I can not upload them to connect.garmin they are both the latest firmware and the newest one on my edge 500 was reset as per forum instuctions:confused:.

Thank you,
Pete

RDONSON
09-07-2010, 09:09 AM
Here is my fist corrupted FIT file. It is from a 2.5 hours ride on my TT bike. It won't load into Training Center, WKO, Training Peaks, or Garmin Connect. It would be great to know what is going wrong. I have a few big events and I am now afraid to take the Edge 500 on them, because I want the files from the events. I may just take the 705.

I wish someone could tell me what went wrong here.

Since the file is only 70 bytes its safe to say it doesn't contain any data from your 2.5 hour ride.

Perhaps you can share what you did to the Edge 500 during the ride and especially what you did at the end to save the activity and we might be able to puzzle out an answer. Then again it could be a glitch in the firmware. Are you running the latest firmware?

t_smit
09-07-2010, 03:05 PM
T_SMIT from Dynastream is often on these forums and I wonder if he(?) would like to comment on this.

Just noticed this.

Part of the reason the overall approach is as compact as it is, is that it allows you to store a lot of data even in small memory devices - not everything has the luxury of Gbyte data cards. Adding a couple of bytes to data records that may each be only about 8 bytes long, reduces your available storage by a substantial amount.

Having the overall file size in the file header allows you to do other things - such as determining how much memory space is left, without traversing the entire file. The downside is that you need to go back and update that value when the file is updated or closed - everything has a price. The best implementation will typically make the time period where the file structure is incoherent as small as possible.

I know this doesn't help much but I do hear what you're saying.

UKBLOKE
09-10-2010, 10:34 AM
Part of the reason the overall approach is as compact as it is, is that it allows you to store a lot of data even in small memory devices - not everything has the luxury of Gbyte data cards. Adding a couple of bytes to data records that may each be only about 8 bytes long, reduces your available storage by a substantial amount.

Many thanks for the reply; it is very much appreciated.

I understand the need for the compact records. One could take different approaches for different device profiles depending on the trade-off between encoding efficiency and robustness. This could be done by a bit in the header to choose between the 2 modes. On the Edge 500 with lots of storage, one can live with a slightly less compact encoding (eg. 20%) but with the benefit of better recovery from corrupted data. If you really wanted to go to town on data integrity you could even do a CRC per data record (the current CRC per file only allows you to detect a broken file, and throwing away the activity file isn't acceptable to anyone). If you have longer files it makes sense to spend more bytes on keeping the data safe. However, I can understand that you might not want multiple modes.

Another approach is to put optional resync records into the file. These would be defined in such a way as to be distinct (or distinct with very high probability) from all other data when byte scanning through the file. For example, a 1 byte header followed by 7 bytes of constant data chosen as some highly random pattern would suffice. For Edge 500, these could be inserted at say 1 minute intervals so that any corruption would result in the loss of at most 1 minutes worth of data. If smart recording gives 20 records per minute at 8 bytes each, this would be a 5% hit in file size. With every second recoding and larger records, the increase is much less.
Devices with limited storage could choose not to use this optional feature.

With the current definition it is probably possible to do a reasonable heuristic job at resyncing to record headers after corruption. Currently there are 2 reserved bits so only 1 in 4 possible byte values is a valid record header. However, if you use those bits in future versions of the spec, the chances of reliably resyncing heuristically become much smaller.

Having the overall file size in the file header allows you to do other things - such as determining how much memory space is left, without traversing the entire file. The downside is that you need to go back and update that value when the file is updated or closed - everything has a price. The best implementation will typically make the time period where the file structure is incoherent as small as possible.

The file size incoherency is just a nit, and doesn't really matter. Host systems can determine the file size from the file system so they don't need it anyway. I would have thought that most devices would have some kind of file meta-data. Conceivably one could have a device that just stores a concatenation of FIT files (or even just a single FIT file), though I'd worry about the robustness of that approach.

Why not add to the spec a statement that the overall file size in the file header should be written an 0 when the file size is not known or the file is not complete? This way host software can detect partial files that haven't been completed.

Thanks again for posting.

DAVETX
09-12-2010, 07:23 PM
Here is my first corrupt .fit file. Could you please take a look at it and see if it is fixable?

GOT2RACE
09-12-2010, 09:29 PM
I've been using my 500 for 4-5 months now without any issues...untill today. I've got an 11.5 hour file that isn't loading into GC, TC, or Training Peaks WKO+. The file is 1.30mb and too big to attach here, is there anything you can do?
Thanks in advance,
Pat

pickmdav
09-13-2010, 05:20 AM
The 92.4 kb file of DaveTX appears to be corrupt because it has been truncated. There are no session or activity records at the end.

Seems like you started at 14:33 on 12th Sept and finished at 17:48 having done 9 laps of 8 km (5 miles) (auto lap by distance?) It was powered down at 17:48 and powered up again at 23:17.

DAVETX
09-13-2010, 08:36 PM
The power up at 23:17 was when I attached the unit to the USB cable on my PC. Do you think that caused the corrupted file?

UKBLOKE
09-13-2010, 08:47 PM
The power up at 23:17 was when I attached the unit to the USB cable on my PC. Do you think that caused the corrupted file?

I guess you never closed the activity on the Edge 500? You are supposed to do a reset sequence for 3-2-1, etc. per the manual. I've noticed that it takes a little longer than I was used to on the Edge 305 and I try to do a visual check that it is really reset (eg. distance goes to 0). If you don't close the activity I presume that the final records (including the CRC and the file size) don't get written. Given this design choice by Garmin, it would seem lame that the host software doesn't do the right thing to close a truncated file instead of just telling you that it is corrupt.

WERRU
09-14-2010, 12:43 PM
Here is a coursefile, that I rode with the 500. First I created the course with bikemap.net (.gpx) and then sent it with TCX Converter as a .fit file to the edge 500. Near the end of the ride the course was frozen and I was not able to upload the activity file.
Thank You!

pickmdav
09-14-2010, 02:23 PM
No I do not think the problem happened at 23:xx but when you powered it off earlier.

The manual says you should do a reset but I have never ever done that and have never had a corrupt file. Normally at the end of the ride I stop the timer and leave it to auto-power off some time later. Perhaps the problem happens if you don't reset but use the power off button?

As for the Training Center response to this I can only spit expletives! Wonderful piece of software!!

DAVETX
09-14-2010, 08:26 PM
This is my first corrupt file with almost daily use since March. I didn't do anything different on this day. I usually end my ride stop the timer and power off. I never reset unless I haven't downloaded the data from a previous ride. I guess the corrupt file bug just finally caught up with me.

UKBLOKE
09-14-2010, 08:56 PM
This is my first corrupt file with almost daily use since March. I didn't do anything different on this day. I usually end my ride stop the timer and power off. I never reset unless I haven't downloaded the data from a previous ride. I guess the corrupt file bug just finally caught up with me.

I looked at the file. The file size is correct, and the CRC is correct. Therefore this is a valid FIT file. Comparing to other FIT files, some records at the end are missing though (presumably ride summary information). It is as if the activity was not closed properly. All of the actual ride data is there. It is a shame that the software won't read this in correctly.

KC15GARMIN
09-15-2010, 01:50 PM
DAVETX and HAMMOND9705 - The file's that you linked all seem to be truncated in the same way. Can you describe how you are resetting these activities? Are you powering down before resetting and/or letting the device automatically reset the activity when you plug it into USB?

PUDADAQ - Your file was created with 2.20 version of software and the bug that caused your file to be corrupted has been fixed. Please update to the latest firmware by using Garmin WebUpdater (http://www8.garmin.com/products/webupdater/howtoinstall.jsp).

ANDRE_CARVALHO and MELLETOG - Your files have some data corruption that I cannot fix. The development team will be looking into what could have caused this to happen. Feel free to PM me any additional information you can provide about what you were doing when you recorded these activities.

ORBIPLAYA - I responded to your PM's.

GOT2RACE - PM me for an email address you can send your file to. You could also upload it to the web (I use Google Docs) and PM me the link or post it in this thread.

Finally, feel free to PM me when you post a new file in this thread that needs to be looked at.

DAVETX
09-15-2010, 03:28 PM
DAVETX and HAMMOND9705 - The file's that you linked all seem to be truncated in the same way. Can you describe how you are resetting these activities? Are you powering down before resetting and/or letting the device automatically reset the activity when you plug it into .

I powered it down at the end of my ride without doing a reset. I have been letting the device reset the activity when I connect via USB. This time when I connected to the USB, instead of connecting and showing up as a drive it powered the 500 on. I had to power it down and reconnect it to show up.

HAMMOND9705
09-15-2010, 07:08 PM
DAVETX and HAMMOND9705 - The file's that you linked all seem to be truncated in the same way. Can you describe how you are resetting these activities? Are you powering down before resetting and/or letting the device automatically reset the activity when you plug it into USB?

At the end of the ride I hit stop on the 500. Sometimes it auto-pauses before I hit stop. Then I remove it from the bike and hook it up to the PC, without ever doing a reset.

BRIAN_NYSTROM
09-16-2010, 06:53 AM
From what I've seen, you want the unit to Auto Pause before you hit the stop button. For that matter, I don't think you can stop the timer until the unit has Auto Paused. If I try to, it simply doesn't stop the timer. If I wait until I see the Auto Pause message, hitting the stop button will stop the timer and the data will transfer to my PC just fine, whether the unit shuts down before the transfer or I do a reset, or not.

tank81
09-17-2010, 11:56 PM
Hey Garmin Team,

First time for a post, but this file seems to be corrupt.

It workson on your web based Garmin Connect, but will not load into Training Center.

It does not come up with any failed errors when importing, it just doesnt load in to the program. I went outside and made another file after this, which worked, but the ride didnt :confused:

Can you help me?

Also i am not much of tech head, so if you fix the file, do I just save it back onto the edge then import it? I have uploaded 2 Files.

1. A file that says it was created on 14th Aug, but it was actully a ride from the 15th.

2. The corrupt file that won load in TC.

Cheers

KC15GARMIN
09-21-2010, 10:07 AM
DAVETX and HAMMOND9705 - Your fixed files are attached. Thank you for the feedback! If you would like to avoid this happening to future activities I would recommend resetting your timer right after finishing your ride.

KC15GARMIN
09-21-2010, 10:26 AM
TANK81 - Try replacing the original 2010-09-14-21-54-32.fit file on your Edge 500 with the one I have attached and then try uploading to Training Center again.

Thanks!

RACINGHEART
09-21-2010, 01:37 PM
TANK81 - Try replacing the original 2010-09-14-21-54-32.fit file on your Edge 500 with the one I have attached and then try uploading to Training Center again.

Thanks!

That reminds me, why won't Garmin simply update GTC to allow importing FIT files, like it does with TCX, from someplace other than directly from the unit? Especially now that they've added the 800 to the list of devices that only supports the FIT format. Sorry for the hijack!

TANWT
09-25-2010, 05:22 AM
Hi, my wife is using an FR60 and one of the sessions .fit file is corrupted and cannot be read by Garmin Training Center. The FR60 displays the info but GTC cannot import it. Can you help fix it?

DLEGLER
09-28-2010, 04:41 PM
Spoke to a man earlier with a long ride that had gotten corrupted because of battery loss on his Edge. Didn't know if it was repairable but the file is attached.

DMTPHD
09-30-2010, 12:03 PM
I cannot download the attached file to TrainingPeaks Device Agent and keep getting a "No workouts found" message. I've also tried multiple times to upload to Garmin Connect (getting a "Failed" message in the status column and download to Garmin Training Center (all other new files did download but not this one).
My primary interest is downloading to Device Agent.

N0SEBLUNT
10-04-2010, 02:55 AM
Hi, This file is from my Forerunner, it all seemed fine, but it won't upload to Garmin Connect. It was 7+ hours of data. Thank you for any help fixing it.

I've tried searching for an application to fix these, but there doesn't seem to be one, but please let me know if there is a way of fixing this myself.

PABLOVEGATORRES
10-04-2010, 01:17 PM
Hi, I have this corrupt .fit file that I would love to save. It is an Ultra Trail Race (100K) that I won. The battery lasted until Km 96, then went off, I assume is the reason that Garmin Training Center can't read it, but there is content (282k) there.

Thank you very much if anybody can help.

My mail: pablovega (at) gmail.com

www.pablovega.com

GGALAT
10-05-2010, 08:09 PM
attached file is the first corrupt .fit I have had (should include power data, etc). Won't import to training center, power agent or upload to garmin connect. Can somebody take a look at it and see if it is fixable? it is just a short 50 minute recovery ride, but I'd like to have it....

KC15GARMIN
10-06-2010, 12:49 PM
TANWT - I'm sorry but I cannot fix your file.

DLEGLER - Please update to the latest version of software by using Garmin WebUpdater (http://www8.garmin.com/products/webupdater/howtoinstall.jsp). The issue that caused your file to be corrupt has been fixed. Your fixed file is also attached.

DMTPHD - I'm sorry but I cannot fix your file.

NOSEBLUNT - Your fixed file is attached.

PABLOVEGATORRES - Your fixed file is attached.

GGALAT - I'm sorry but I cannot fix your file.

badgone387
10-10-2010, 01:20 PM
Hello,

sorry for my english...

Saturday, i have turned off my garmin 500 during a training because it has lost my powertap. When i want to download my datas on my computer, the garmin has lost datas between the first and the last lap..someone can look my file ?

liquidcool76
10-10-2010, 02:24 PM
Hi,

Please find attached my fit file.

Caused as a result of my edge 500 locking up from following a course.

Is there any tool that can be downloaded so I can fix my own files ?

Thanks

PEPERINO1966
10-11-2010, 10:20 AM
I've a corrupted file too....

Don't know exactly what's happens, but for sure I did not reset after stop the timer, but anyway I did found 2 files....

Thank's in advance

ebalog_
10-15-2010, 02:01 PM
i'm a long-time garmin owner (original vista, then 305, 705, vista hcx, dakota 20, and now 500), and while i've had a few lost files with the 305 and 705 i've not had any lost files with the 500...until today.

the problem is this was an important training workout with data for my coach.

my .FIT file is corrupt (and only 6KB for a ~1h20m indoor workout with power). i'm also attaching all files on the garmin device that have today's date:
* There are 2 files in the ExtData folder (BEE.BIN and ARC.BIN, with timestamps corresponding near the end of today's workout -- these files seem to be about the right size -- 344Kb and 154kb)
* There are 2 files in the "DeleteFiles" folder (Device_xxxxx.fit) with timestamps that appear to be at the time I tried to upload.

(There are 5 files in the attached .ZIP file.)

I really, really hope someone can help!

Thank you for the efforts in advance.

PS I did try loading in Training Center, Garmin Connect, and Golden Cheetah, all with the same result.

CPOPERTWEE
10-18-2010, 09:22 AM
Dear KC15GARMIN,

Can you please see if you can fix the attached file for me please. Can you also please read the PM I've sent you.

Thanks, Mark

743POWER
10-25-2010, 07:06 PM
I had my first fully corrupt file yesterday. It was a 4hr ride. When I got done, I checked the screen to see the totals and then pressed stop and reset until the screen cleared all data. When I went inside to upload, there was nothing. I read about this before, so I pulled the .fit off the 500 and saved it to my desktop. The file on my device was only 2kb but when I dragged it to the desktop, it became 4kb. Obviously neither is large enough for a 30+ mile mtb ride. I have attached both the 2 and 4kb files to see if there is any hope for them.

hjsharp
10-29-2010, 12:04 AM
Hi All,

In my first real week with the Garmin Edge 500, twice I've had the unit not save my ride when I hit the stop followed by the reset button. Devastating, two climbs Mt Hotham and Buffalo - PB times not saved!

I'm on the latest firmware according to the webupdater, version 2.40.

Can anyone see if they can rescue the attached file, I hold little hope for it at 2kb in size.

Very Frustrated, if I can't trust it to record there is little point in using it.

Does anyone know what the cause of the problem is? Is there a solution on the way? This seems like a long thread for an expensive piece of equipment.

RACINGHEART
10-29-2010, 12:22 AM
Hi All,

In my first real week with the Garmin Edge 500, twice I've had the unit not save my ride when I hit the stop followed by the reset button. Devastating, two climbs Mt Hotham and Buffalo - PB times not saved!

I'm on the latest firmware according to the webupdater, version 2.40.

Can anyone see if they can rescue the attached file, I hold little hope for it at 2kb in size.

Very Frustrated, if I can't trust it to record there is little point in using it.

Does anyone know what the cause of the problem is? Is there a solution on the way? This seems like a long thread for an expensive piece of equipment.

First of all, make sure you're not simply pressing the Reset button in the same fashion you press the Start/Stop button. With the Reset button, you need to press AND HOLD the button down until it counts down and beeps a second time.

Also, in previous firmware versions, pressing the Lap button during your ride would often times cause problems. Don't know whether this is still an intermittent problem with 2.40 (I still run on 2.30 because it is fine for how I use the 500). There have also been problems with Courses so if you're using those, it may cause headaches.

I can say I have had no problems with my 500 recording data, but I never press the Lap button, and have it set to auto-lap by position (start and lap). I simply press Start at the beginning of a race and then press Stop afterwards. Then I press and hold the Reset button and voila!, ride saved.

MMORGANPROD
10-31-2010, 05:19 PM
After a wonderful 7 hour 90 mile/ 12,000 ft ride; my garmin has corrupted the data.

If someone is able to fix this, I would absolutely appreciate it!

(Garmin 500/ Current Firmware)

KC15GARMIN
11-02-2010, 01:16 PM
BADGONE387 - I apologize but there is nothing that I can do for you file . It looks like your device's mass storage drive filled up during your ride so the device quit recording detailed data. Can you take a look at how full your device's drive is?

LIQUIDCOOL76, PEPERINO1966 - Your fixed files are attached.

EBALOG - I'm sorry, but there is nothing I can do to recover your ride.

MJBECKETT - I have replied to your PM and email.

KC15GARMIN
11-02-2010, 01:24 PM
743POWER and HJSHARP - Unfortunately you both are correct. I can't do anything for the files that you have attached.

MMORGANPROD - I apologize but there is nothing that I can do for you file either. It looks like your device's mass storage drive filled up during your ride so the device quit recording detailed data. Can you take a look at how full your device's drive is?

TEXMURPHY
11-02-2010, 02:27 PM
I apologize but there is nothing that I can do for you file either. It looks like your device's mass storage drive filled up during your ride so the device quit recording detailed data. Can you take a look at how full your device's drive is?

Bold color emphasis in quote is mine.
Anyone using firmware 2.40 must check their Garmin/DeleteFiles directory and periodically delete it. See this note and response from KC15 below:

I consider it a BUG that the DeleteFiles folder on the Edge 500 is never emptied after installation of v2.40.
I think they stopped clearing this folder as a forgotten debugging effort which was not removed from production code.

See DeleteFiles folder on the Edge 500 (https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=12968)

This folder accumulates files rapidly.
The only way to clear this folder is using the pc delete function. Be aware that even deleting 36 files (under 1KB each) may take up to a minute. The Edge 500 is slow to delete.

I have suffered no ill effects by clearing this folder weekly.
Those of you who have had v2.40 since July and done many activities and workouts will find many files. My first delete of over 500 files took 15+ minutes to complete.

Originally Posted by KC15GARMIN
Tex,
Thank you for the heads up! We are aware of this issue and it will be addressed. In the meantime, feel free to clear out this folder on your own and to tell others they can do the same if they are seeing performance issues.
Best regards,
KC15

BBRANNON
11-03-2010, 04:51 PM
Had an adventure today. At about 9.27 miles and 37:29 minutes into a 24 mile ride in northern Ohio I apparently took an instantaneous detour to the western end of Cuba. This is the first time I've ever encounter a really erratic GPS reading. This occurred in an area I've ridden a lot, no tree cover, no apparent sources of interference. If you could pull out the piece of bad data and fix I'd appreciate it.
Thanks.

KC15GARMIN
11-08-2010, 10:15 AM
Had an adventure today. At about 9.27 miles and 37:29 minutes into a 24 mile ride in northern Ohio I apparently took an instantaneous detour to the western end of Cuba. This is the first time I've ever encounter a really erratic GPS reading. This occurred in an area I've ridden a lot, no tree cover, no apparent sources of interference. If you could pull out the piece of bad data and fix I'd appreciate it.
Thanks.

I do not see a jump in position in the file attached to your post. Maybe you attached the wrong file by accident?

You can also just send me a link to the activity on Garmin Connect and I can pull it down from there.

Thanks!

MMORGANPROD
11-08-2010, 03:21 PM
I have used only 5mb of 50mb available... weird eh?

743POWER and HJSHARP - Unfortunately you both are correct. I can't do anything for the files that you have attached.

MMORGANPROD - I apologize but there is nothing that I can do for you file either. It looks like your device's mass storage drive filled up during your ride so the device quit recording detailed data. Can you take a look at how full your device's drive is?

KC15GARMIN
11-08-2010, 04:00 PM
I have used only 5mb of 50mb available... weird eh?

Yes, that as strange. Thank you for the feedback!

MGWILDER
11-08-2010, 06:22 PM
Hello,

Here is what seems to be a corrupt .fit file. I started another thread on the Garmin Connect sub-forum describing system details and such. I tried to upload to Training Center and it failed as well.

I stopped 3 times during the ride, which I stopped and started the Edge 500. At the second stop, which was a little longer than the others, I noticed that the unit turned off. This was the only odd occurrence during the ride. I just turned the unit on and hit Start. I reset the unit immediately after hitting Stop at the end of the ride and waited until it fully reset before I released the button.

This is the first time I've had a a corrupt file after about 6 months of use.

Thanks in advance for your expertise.

BIGNATEC
11-09-2010, 03:17 PM
This was a really important ride for me and I cannot get it to open through any means of software that I've tried.

Is there any hope of saving this file?

UKBLOKE
11-09-2010, 04:31 PM
This was a really important ride for me and I cannot get it to open through any means of software that I've tried.

Is there any hope of saving this file?

Yes, it should be savable. Hopefully, KC15GARMIN will be able to do that for you.

I looked at your file with my own unofficial FIT parser. The file decodes fine. It is complete and with a good checksum. I don't understand why the Garmin parser would reject it. Have you tried loading it into SportTracks v3?

I guess that it is the power data from that 10 minute lap that you want? If you PM me your email address I'll send you the text output of my tool but you'll have to figure out yourself what to do with the raw numbers!

BBRANNON
11-09-2010, 04:32 PM
I do not see a jump in position in the file attached to your post. Maybe you attached the wrong file by accident?

You can also just send me a link to the activity on Garmin Connect and I can pull it down from there.

Thanks!

Thanks for the response I definitely attached the wrong file. Garmin Connect link is: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/55420206

Correct Fit file also attached.

relic2010
11-09-2010, 08:55 PM
Hi There,
This is my first corrupted .fit file. I have been looking around at how to fix it myself, but I'm not sure which parts of the file are broken. I have downloaded the DSK and used the java export to csv option, which worked and i now have a CSV file. But I'm not sure which parts of the file are corrupt or damaged. I downloaded a trial of Sport Tracks 3 and it can't import the file due to invalid time stamp. If someone can point me in the correct direction, or just fix the file for me :) it would be much appreciated.

KC15GARMIN
11-22-2010, 04:14 PM
BIGNATEC, BBRANNON, and RELIC2010 - Your fixed files are attached.

I apologize for the slow response. Please feel free to shoot me a PM when posting in this thread.

SAMY2222RED
11-24-2010, 09:31 AM
another corrupted file. KC15GARMIN can you fix it?

GASTONET
11-27-2010, 10:01 AM
Please KC15GARMIN fix my .FIT file wich was created on 07-07-2030??
Thanks.

jf42167
12-09-2010, 01:55 AM
KC15GARMIN, First time using the Edge 500 and I have a corrupt .fit file, if it can be fixed, it would be greatly appreciated.

GLAUBERLIMA
12-09-2010, 06:46 AM
Hello. I also have a .fit file that is corrupt, can it be fixed?
Please check this link
https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?p=67261

GUPPYBREATH
12-13-2010, 03:30 AM
Hi KC15GARMIN

I too have a corrupt fit file. Can you please fix?

Yes I am now currently updating to version 2.4

PFWEEKS
12-13-2010, 01:06 PM
Have had my 500 since July with no problems, but my commute home from work last Friday resulted in a corrupt .fit file. Not a big deal as I do basically the same ride every weekday, but if someone could fix it it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

file attached

martin.fitzpatrick
12-15-2010, 01:56 AM
Could you repair it, please?

Thanks in advance.
Martin.

zem2000
12-15-2010, 05:22 AM
Any chance you could correct this file for me? It was created via an edge 800, so apologies for postng in the the 500 forum, but there doesn't seem to be as many people that have this problem with the 800.

KC15GARMIN
12-16-2010, 03:29 PM
PFWEEKS - Your fixed file is attached.

GUPPYBREATH - Your fixed file is also attached. While fixing it I noticed you are still using version 2.30 software. Please update to 2.40 by using WebUpdater (http://www8.garmin.com/products/webupdater/howtoinstall.jsp). The issue that corrupted is fixed in 2.40.

SAMY2222RED and JF42167 - Your files had significant data corruption and I was not able to recover them.

GASTONET, MARTIN.FITZPATRICK, and ZEM2000 - I am still investigating why your files are not uploading.

PFWEEKS
12-16-2010, 05:13 PM
Thanks KC15Garmin!

GUPPYBREATH
12-16-2010, 05:16 PM
GUPPYBREATH - Your fixed file is also attached. While fixing it I noticed you are still using version 2.30 software. Please update to 2.40 by using WebUpdater (http://www8.garmin.com/products/webupdater/howtoinstall.jsp). The issue that corrupted is fixed in 2.40.

Many thanks for that.

Now updated to 2.40

ChrisTRIan
12-19-2010, 05:52 AM
Please KC15GARMIN fix my .FIT files??
Thanks.

GASTONET
12-20-2010, 06:58 PM
Hi KCGARMIN thanks for investigate our issue.
Can you explain why all of my latest activities are from 2030?
Please look at this activities:
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/60235177
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/60235181
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/60235182

BTW I've reinstalled 2.40 using webupdater but the Edge500 still showing Aug 2030 when starts but no GPS signal aquired. I guess the Edge can't retain the date or something.

Thanks.

DSEVERN1
12-27-2010, 01:58 PM
Could someone repair this .fit file, or better, provide instructions/link to doing so?
I can't upload in to Training Center, I get the "email techsupport" error and when I upload into GC, it shows on the map that I made a slight detour into somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic, west of South America, though the total mileage and the rest of the data "look" correct.

Thanks in advance!

Err... sorry... EAST of South America.

TEXMURPHY
12-27-2010, 05:18 PM
...when I upload into GC, it shows on the map that I made a slight detour into somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic, west of South America

Actually I think to a single gps point in Antarctica. Trying to find "west of South America"?

AMBRIO64
12-31-2010, 01:58 PM
Can you also please fix mine from 800? TIA

fancycanoe
01-01-2011, 03:44 PM
I am also having an issue with my last ride of 2010. Can you try to correct my corrupt .fit file?

Thank you!

AEOLUS6559
01-03-2011, 05:02 PM
From and Edge 800

Tried to use the FIT SDK java tools... no luck though

Been posted on a few forums... hoping someone can fix her up!

YANNICKVQ
01-08-2011, 05:35 AM
In the attachment are two corrupted fit files of the Edge 800.
Can they be fixed?

Thanks

WINNIDUDE
01-12-2011, 06:41 AM
Any chance I could get some love and help with this FIT file.

Thank you

JSOLTREN
01-14-2011, 11:59 AM
I'd like some help with this file, as my Edge 800 munged it. Opening it in an editor it intuitively looks like it was not terminated correctly. However, with a complete lack of free developer documentation, I am unable to proceed. Please help, thanks in advance.

drew_eckhardt
01-14-2011, 02:37 PM
Can I get this one repaired?

Edge 500, imports fine in Golden Cheetah, but gets rejected by connect.garmin.com

atham
01-16-2011, 05:21 AM
After reading a number of posts to this thread it would seem that .fit file for my last ride is corrupt in some manor. Is it possible to have this file fixed?
The activity was successfully uploaded to Garmin Connect and Strava but is not recognised by Training Center and fails to be logged on Ride with GPS.
Any assistance would be appreciated.

DXCODED
01-16-2011, 09:02 AM
this is my third corrupt file, but I hadn't had one in awhile...

any help would be appreciated

thanks

eric

update:

went over to strava.com and uploaded the file without any problems and everything looked fine? what is going on with garmin then?

irvingcaplan
01-16-2011, 04:20 PM
Hi all, new on here, first post and a tale of growing annoyance...

Got my Edge 800 a couple of weeks ago and so far managed to do 5 bike rides, 4 of which have had corrupted data and the Edge has locked up on 2 rides :(. it manifests itself by stupid distance readings as I cycle... today 633m out on my ride I suddenly was whisked 17km to somewhere in the mid South Atlantic.

I tried to upload the ride to Training Centre but it would have none of it saying there was a device error. Garmin Connect uploaded it ok...

http://connect.garmin.com:80/activity/embed/63810366

Being a software developer I have downloaded the FIT SDK and used the FitConvert tool to convert the FIT file to a CSV to examine it... you can see on line 3 of this snippet that the GPS goes AWOL which completely screws things up... I wouldnt mind if this was occasional, but 4 out of 5 rides suggests there is a physical fault with the device....

Timestamp [s] Event Event Type Timestamp Speed [m/s] Distance [m] Latitude [semicircles] Longitude [semicircles] Altitude [m]
Sun Jan 16 09:54:50 GMT 2011 Sun Jan 16 09:56:40 GMT 2011 7.352 626.03 615835439 -3565360 84
Sun Jan 16 09:54:50 GMT 2011 Sun Jan 16 09:56:41 GMT 2011 7.48 633.59 615836168 -3565930 83.6
Sun Jan 16 09:54:50 GMT 2011 Sun Jan 16 09:56:42 GMT 2011 7.709 633.59 -1637378341 -428144279 83.2
Sun Jan 16 09:54:50 GMT 2011 Sun Jan 16 09:56:43 GMT 2011 7.709 1.76E+07 615837707 -3567143 82.8
Sun Jan 16 09:54:50 GMT 2011 Sun Jan 16 09:56:45 GMT 2011 7.697 1.76E+07 615839258 -3568368 82.8
Sun Jan 16 09:54:50 GMT 2011 Sun Jan 16 09:56:52 GMT 2011 7.067 1.76E+07 615844351 -3572467 82.8
Sun Jan 16 09:54:50 GMT 2011 Sun Jan 16 09:56:55 GMT 2011 5.568 1.76E+07 615844583 -3575605 82.8
Sun Jan 16 09:56:57 GMT 2011 TIMER STOP Sun Jan 16 09:56:55 GMT 2011 5.568 1.76E+07 615844583 -3575605 82.8
Sun Jan 16 09:56:57 GMT 2011 Sun Jan 16 09:56:57 GMT 2011 0 1.76E+07 615844148 -3575729 82.8

TEXMURPHY
01-16-2011, 05:14 PM
Got my Edge 800 a couple of weeks ago ...
I tried to upload the ride to Training Centre but it would have none of it saying there was a device error. Garmin Connect uploaded it ok...

http://connect.garmin.com:80/activity/embed/63810366

I am not sure why Edge 800 users are posting to Edge 500 forum (although the .fit corrupt thread here is pretty long (and I have yet to have a corrupt fit myself)), but...
Connect reports that your device is an Edge 800 running v2.9 whereas the current firmware release for the Edge 800 is v2.10.
Since the Edge 800 is a new (beta-like) product and you are experiencing lots of problems with older firmware, I suggest you do an upgrade.

irvingcaplan
01-16-2011, 05:45 PM
I am not sure why Edge 800 users are posting to Edge 500 forum (although the .fit corrupt thread here is pretty long (and I have yet to have a corrupt fit myself)), but...
Connect reports that your device is an Edge 800 running v2.9 whereas the current firmware release for the Edge 800 is v2.10.
Since the Edge 800 is a new (beta-like) product and you are experiencing lots of problems with older firmware, I suggest you do an upgrade.

Hi, yes apologies for that, I was convinced the issue was a corrupt FIT file and the search brought me here.... having looked further at this the file isnt corrupt, but the data is suspect and its seemingly a GPS glitch. It seems there are a few people on the Edge 800 forum that are experiencing the same...

As to the upgrade... Garmin Connect upgraded me to 2.9 a couple of days ago.... no mention of 2.10 but i'll go look... thanks...

Web updater says i have the latest version 2.10 and but i'll try reinstalling it...

RACINGHEART
01-16-2011, 10:01 PM
Hi, yes apologies for that, I was convinced the issue was a corrupt FIT file and the search brought me here.... having looked further at this the file isnt corrupt, but the data is suspect and its seemingly a GPS glitch. It seems there are a few people on the Edge 800 forum that are experiencing the same...

As to the upgrade... Garmin Connect upgraded me to 2.9 a couple of days ago.... no mention of 2.10 but i'll go look... thanks...

Web updater says i have the latest version 2.10 and but i'll try reinstalling it...

For the 800, 2.90 reported by GC is actually 2.10 in real life. It's a similar reporting error, just like the one 500 owners experienced when GC told them they were at 2.29 when in reality, they were at 2.30. BTW, this sort of bug should not come as a surprise once you've owned a Garmin for awhile.

JSOLTREN
01-17-2011, 12:03 AM
I'd like some help with this file, as my Edge 800 munged it. Opening it in an editor it intuitively looks like it was not terminated correctly. However, with a complete lack of free developer documentation, I am unable to proceed. Please help, thanks in advance.
I was able to download the FIT SDK from [1] and tried to use FitCSVTool to try to rescue my file, unsuccessfully. The file does not have a correct CRC. An error is thrown by Decode.java l.315 to this effect. (Page 7 of the "FIT File types" rev 1.01 doc demonstrates the two byte CRC at the end of the file.)

My guess is that the Edge 800 (likely the 500 as well) writes out the CRC on device shutdown. Resetting the device in some cases could cause this sort of error. There may be a way to recover some of the contents of the file, with more effort. Groan.

[1] http://thisisant.com/pages/ant/fit-license

ROGERJOYS
01-18-2011, 12:03 PM
My wife had an issue with a longer training ride on her 500.

I've attached the file. I suspect there is more to this one than some of the prior issues. I am basing this on the file size.

PFWEEKS
01-24-2011, 12:13 PM
Today when I left for work the temp was 1F. My Edge 500 shut down after about 3 miles, but seems fine now that it is indoors. I guess the 5F min operating temperature is pretty accurate. Anyway, I'm attaching my .fit file from this morning as it won't upload to GC. No big deal if it's DOA, but just in case it can be fixed I'd be interested in seeing the data from those first few frigid miles.

Thanks in advance.

NEEMAASSEMI
01-26-2011, 12:07 AM
Have any of you had issues where your ride is recorded as a 0kb file? Does this count as a corrupted file that can be fixed? My guess is no, because there isn't even any data to work with.

This happens 1 out of every 5 rides but is extremely frustrating.

(Have the 2.6 update and I 'stop and reset' every time I finish the ride.)

rsperlman
01-31-2011, 07:56 PM
Can anyone fix this corrupt file. Any help is appreciated.

RSP

RONNIE87
02-04-2011, 05:35 AM
Hi,

Connect says following:

"System does notaccept one of the files. Ask more info from support."

Can we fix the .fit file, that he could get it into garmin connect (attached file)?

Is there anyway to fix this .fit file?

CPOPERTWEE
02-08-2011, 04:46 AM
Please can you try and fix this fit file for me.
Regards, Mark

CHADRAT6458
02-11-2011, 08:31 AM
any chance of fixing this one?

Thanks

RACINGHEART
02-11-2011, 11:51 AM
I just experienced a corrupt FIT file, at least as far as GTC (i.e. it did not import) and TrainingPeaks' Device Agent (didn't convert) were concerned. What was interesting though, was that Golden Cheetah imported the FIT file without a hitch! And it compared well against the 800 data which was running in conjunction with the 500 for that particular ride.

Running 500 Firmware 2.60.

CHADRAT6458
02-12-2011, 08:01 PM
Golden Cheetah worked great. It read my corupted fit file. I was able to save it to a csv. I could import the csv file into my training peaks software. I am very happy. Thanks for the tip.

wildeny
02-19-2011, 07:00 PM
On my 2nd ride with newly bought Garmin Edge 500, my FIT file was corrupted. :mad: When I uploaded the file to GC, it said: "One of your files was not accepted by the system. Please contact Support for assistance."

Can someone fix my file? :confused:

benauty
02-20-2011, 06:57 AM
Brand new Garmin Edge 800 bought, went out on my first ride ... CORRUPT .fit file ... Not very happy at all ... I hope this isnt a taste of things to come, after extensive searches is seems as though (as cheeky as this sounds) this is the place to be for my file to be repaired, could I be very rude and ask you to have a look at this for me please ?

RANGERSIGO
02-20-2011, 04:00 PM
I really need this data. How can I save?

martin.fitzpatrick
02-21-2011, 02:17 AM
Hi RacingHeart,

I have a corrupted FIT file that I managed to fix in Golden Cheetah, but I now can't find a way to get that file back into Garmin Connect- do you have any ideas?

Thanks,
Martin.

MURRAYFREESTONE
03-01-2011, 04:31 AM
Hello,

I have a corrupt .FIT file from a FR110. I have run it through a the FIT file corrector and it reports it is correct already. The file is attached. I would be grateful for any assistance.
thanks

MURRAYFREESTONE
03-03-2011, 02:01 AM
I have a corrupt .FIT file from a Edge 800. I have run it through a the FIT file corrector and it reports it is correct already. The file is attached. I would be grateful for any assistance.
thanks
:)

JOHNJOHNAU
03-03-2011, 03:11 PM
No guarantees, but this has worked for me with two files that seemed to be corrupted in two different ways (Golden Cheetah could open one, not the other).

You'll need the demo version of SportTracks from here:

http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/sporttracks/

and TCX Converter from here:

http://www.teambikeolympo.it/TCXConverter/TeamBikeOlympo_-_TCX_Converter/TCX_Converter_ENG.html

1 Copy the damaged file toyour PC
2 Open it with SportTracks
3 Export as .fitlog
4 Open the .fitlog file with TCX Converter
5 Export as .tcx
6 Upload to Garmin Connect

Only problem is that the Calorie figures TCX Converter produces are the same grade of nonsense as the ones the old 705 used to spit out.

TEXMURPHY
03-03-2011, 03:43 PM
The SportTracks TCX Export Plugin (http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/sporttracks/plugins/?p=tcx-export) will export a tcx file. No need to do the TCX Converter Step and have to adjust calories.

JOHNJOHNAU
03-04-2011, 02:46 AM
Texmurphy - thanks! I basically just went looking for apps that could convert formats out of the box, but that's a better solution.

CERVELIST
03-05-2011, 04:58 PM
hi - writing from austria...

till today everything with .fit import (into mac) worked fine.
today, i set my edge 500 for the first time to 'auto pause under 3km/h'.
after that, it happened the first time, that i couldn't import my generated fit file (finally managed to read it in a xcl...).

is there any relation between setting 'auto pause' and the corrupt .fit file???
thank's for any experiences...

MEGHAN_RAE
03-09-2011, 11:09 PM
Hello,

I have a file that failed to upload to GarminConnect. Also tried Garmin Training Centre, TrainingPeaks, Golden Cheetah, and Strava with no success, so seems like the file is definitely corrupt! Any chance it can be salvaged?

Was a preset workout, done on the trainer with the GPS turned off (using GSC 10 sensor).

I've attached it here:

Thanks for your help!

shippers1892
03-11-2011, 01:22 PM
I contacted support and they said I should post the file here for a fix

ROBERTDAINES
03-13-2011, 03:31 PM
I am hoping that some one can explain what went wrong with this fit file (attached). After my ride, I downloaded the ride data into Garmin Training Center (Mac) and the file loaded fine with all of the data correct. I then loaded the data into Ascent and rubiTrack and in both programs the data was correct but the GPS mapping showed an excursion from eastern PA into Virginia and back. Same was true for Garmin Connect: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/72834234. I was able to export a tcx file from GTC which allowed me to successfully import the ride data into Ascent and rubiTrack. So what happened? Why did the file import correctly into GTC but nothing else? Where did the erroneous GPS data come from?

TEXMURPHY
03-13-2011, 07:30 PM
I am hoping that some one can explain what went wrong with this fit file (attached). After my ride, I downloaded the ride data into Garmin Training Center (Mac) and the file loaded fine with all of the data correct. I then loaded the data into Ascent and rubiTrack and in both programs the data was correct but the GPS mapping showed an excursion from eastern PA into Virginia and back. Same was true for Garmin Connect: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/72834234. I was able to export a tcx file from GTC which allowed me to successfully import the ride data into Ascent and rubiTrack. So what happened? Why did the file import correctly into GTC but nothing else? Where did the erroneous GPS data come from?
Interesting - SportTracks finds two activities in this .fit, the first lasts for 9 seconds, with current Lap timestamps but Trackpoint timestamps from August 1999, and is placed in Virginia (37.1134, -78.6424). The second starts at 8:59:59 am and is a complete activity in Harleysville PA (a 28.97 mile Loop).
It would appear that Ascent, rubiTrack, and Connect cannot handle a multiactivity .fit (even if it contains garbage).
So did you ever use this Edge in VA riding a Delorean?

<Activities>
<Activity Sport="Other">
<Id>2011-03-13T12:57:09Z</Id>
<Lap StartTime="2011-03-13T12:57:09Z">
<TotalTimeSeconds>0</TotalTimeSeconds>
<DistanceMeters>86.98542</DistanceMeters>
<Calories>2</Calories>
<AverageHeartRateBpm xsi:type="HeartRateInBeatsPerMinute_t">
<Value>150</Value>
</AverageHeartRateBpm>
<MaximumHeartRateBpm xsi:type="HeartRateInBeatsPerMinute_t">
<Value>179</Value>
</MaximumHeartRateBpm>
<Intensity>Active</Intensity>
<Cadence>74</Cadence>
<TriggerMethod>Distance</TriggerMethod>
<Track>
<Trackpoint>
<Time>1999-08-21T23:59:48Z</Time>
<Position>
<LatitudeDegrees>37.11275</LatitudeDegrees>
<LongitudeDegrees>-78.64299</LongitudeDegrees>
</Position>
<AltitudeMeters>89.2</AltitudeMeters>
<DistanceMeters>0</DistanceMeters>
<HeartRateBpm xsi:type="HeartRateInBeatsPerMinute_t">
<Value>117</Value>
</HeartRateBpm>
<Cadence>99</Cadence>
<SensorState>Present</SensorState>
</Trackpoint>
<Trackpoint>
<Time>1999-08-21T23:59:50Z</Time>
<Position>
<LatitudeDegrees>37.11288</LatitudeDegrees>
<LongitudeDegrees>-78.64285</LongitudeDegrees>
</Position>
<AltitudeMeters>86.2</AltitudeMeters>
<DistanceMeters>19.19758</DistanceMeters>
<Value>117</Value>
</HeartRateBpm>
<Cadence>89</Cadence>
</Trackpoint>
<Trackpoint>
<Time>1999-08-21T23:59:52Z</Time>
<Position>
<LatitudeDegrees>37.11302</LatitudeDegrees>
<LongitudeDegrees>-78.64272</LongitudeDegrees>
</Position>
<AltitudeMeters>83.8</AltitudeMeters>
<DistanceMeters>38.39514</DistanceMeters>
<Value>117</Value>
</HeartRateBpm>
<Cadence>89</Cadence>
</Trackpoint>
<Trackpoint>
<Time>1999-08-21T23:59:54Z</Time>
<Position>
<LatitudeDegrees>37.11316</LatitudeDegrees>
<LongitudeDegrees>-78.64257</LongitudeDegrees>
</Position>
<AltitudeMeters>81.8</AltitudeMeters>
<DistanceMeters>58.35221</DistanceMeters>
<Value>117</Value>
</HeartRateBpm>
<Cadence>0</Cadence>
</Trackpoint>
<Trackpoint>
<Time>1999-08-21T23:59:57Z</Time>
<Position>
<LatitudeDegrees>37.11335</LatitudeDegrees>
<LongitudeDegrees>-78.64236</LongitudeDegrees>
</Position>
<AltitudeMeters>79.2</AltitudeMeters>
<DistanceMeters>86.98542</DistanceMeters>
<Value>117</Value>
</HeartRateBpm>
<Cadence>84</Cadence>
</Trackpoint>
</Track>
</Lap>
</Activity>
</Activities>

ROBERTDAINES
03-14-2011, 05:45 AM
Interesting - SportTracks finds two activities in this .fit, the first lasts for 9 seconds, with current Lap timestamps but Trackpoint timestamps from August 1999, and is placed in Virginia (37.1134, -78.6424). The second starts at 8:59:59 am and is a complete activity in Harleysville PA (a 28.97 mile Loop).
It would appear that Ascent, rubiTrack, and Connect cannot handle a multiactivity .fit (even if it contains garbage).
So did you ever use this Edge in VA riding a Delorean?

Thank you for taking a look at the data. Strange and ridiculous behavior, where did the extraneous data points come from? I did discover that I can look at the original track data in both Ascent and rubiTrack and remove the VA trip. You helped me learn something new (although the file should not need to be edited). The "side trip" was inserted within the actual ride data and easy to spot. I hope this is not going to be a regular event.

Thanks again!

breezin101
03-15-2011, 02:39 PM
Here is my first corrupted file... called support and they couldn't figure anything out. Kinda sucks.

TEXMURPHY
03-15-2011, 03:05 PM
Here is my first corrupted file... called support and they couldn't figure anything out.]
SportTracks loads this without any error (20.58 miles over 1:38:45 in Modesto). Attached is an Export2Tcx plugin output from SportTracks.

breezin101
03-15-2011, 03:07 PM
Well I downloaded SportTracks, installed the export to tcx plugin, imported the corrupted file to SportTracks, exported from SportTracks to tcx, then uploaded the tcx file to connect.garmin.com and it worked.

Garmin should really release a utility to clean up a corrupted .fit file.

ROBERTDAINES
03-15-2011, 05:28 PM
Garmin should really release a utility to clean up a corrupted .fit file.

Even better would be if Garmin figured out why the files were being corrupted and fixed the problem. In four years I never had a corrupt file from my Edge 305, but the same cannot be said for my Edge 500. There have been some very strange things happen with these .fit files.

SUPERSPENNA
03-22-2011, 02:24 PM
Hi,

Today is the first day (after a month of ownership) that I've had any sort of problem with my 500.

I have an activity that I completed from a workout (previously without problem) that is not showing on the History page within my Edge 500.

Have tried to upload to both Garmin Connect and Training Centre but it also is not showing as available to upload.

I've attached the .fit that I managed to get off the device to see if one of you kind folks can fix it for me.

Thanks very much

ISEDLAR
03-24-2011, 09:11 AM
Please, repair this corrupted file.
thnx

ISEDLAR
03-24-2011, 02:53 PM
..does anyone from garmin work on those corrupted files ???

:confused:

TEXMURPHY
03-24-2011, 05:48 PM
thnx
File Type: fit 2011-03-24-13-16-24.fit (109.4 KB)
What is corrupted about this file?
I can load it to Garmin Connect without any error.

ONDAEYES
03-25-2011, 12:26 AM
Same here, loads fine with all information intact. Looks like a nice ride :)

ISEDLAR
03-25-2011, 01:40 AM
What is corrupted about this file?
I can load it to Garmin Connect without any error.

It can not be loaded to Garmin training center. File exist on Edge and it can be viewed but there is no way to transfer it to Garmin training center.

TEXMURPHY
03-25-2011, 08:04 AM
It can not be loaded to Garmin training center. File exist on Edge and it can be viewed but there is no way to transfer it to Garmin training center.

This file gets the message "File does not contain any activities" when attempting to load into Garmin Training Center, including the current Beta version of GTC.

The file loads correctly into SportTracks, TCX_Converter, Garmin Connect, and others.
This appears to be a bug in GTC which should be reported to the Training Center developers.

ISEDLAR
03-25-2011, 11:37 AM
This file gets the message "File does not contain any activities" when attempting to load into Garmin Training Center, including the current Beta version of GTC.

The file loads correctly into SportTracks, TCX_Converter, Garmin Connect, and others.
This appears to be a bug in GTC which should be reported to the Training Center developers.

ok. i'll do that.
thnx for all your effort.

AZBWILCOX
03-25-2011, 02:28 PM
thnx

Just an FYI...the file is technically invalid. It lacks a FIT_ACTIVITY message which GTC uses as part of its parsing and which, it appears, is being ignored by other clients. We should be able to work around this issue now that we are aware that the device is generating this type of invalid file.

Bryan

RACINGHEART
03-25-2011, 03:23 PM
Just an FYI...the file is technically invalid. It lacks a FIT_ACTIVITY message which GTC uses as part of its parsing and which, it appears, is being ignored by other clients. We should be able to work around this issue now that we are aware that the device is generating this type of invalid file.

Bryan
Question - are the developers the same group that work on FIT-related problems of the 500 and the 800, or do they work independently of each other? The reason I ask is that the 800 is generating slightly different FIT files (when a Workout or Course was followed) which caused Golden Cheetah to reject the file. Golden Cheetah has since modified their code to ignore this new message in order to import such files. The 500's FIT file never had this new message when running a Workout or Course so would import without problem in Golden Cheetah. I'm just wondering why have "One-Offs" in FIT file formats?

AZBWILCOX
03-25-2011, 03:25 PM
Question - are the developers the same group that work on FIT-related problems of the 500 and the 800, or do they work independently of each other? The reason I ask is that the 800 is generating slightly different FIT files (when a Workout or Course was followed) which caused Golden Cheetah to reject the file. Golden Cheetah has since modified their code to ignore this new message in order to import such files. The 500's FIT file never had this new message when running a Workout or Course so would import without problem in Golden Cheetah. I'm just wondering why have "One-Offs" in FIT file formats?

To my knowledge the Edge 500 & 800 are developed by the same group of developers which are different from the teams developing GTC and GC.

Bryan

KOREN88
03-27-2011, 03:25 AM
Hello

I have 1 problem. Im using Garmin Forerunnner 110 HR and after yesterdays activity i save it by pressing button lap/reset. After that i shut down my device. When i came home i wanted to see that activity in menu histrory, but it didnt save right. It was display 00:00:00 time and 0 calories. When i connect my device with my computer and i wanted to upload to garmin connect it didnt let me. I went to check file at folder activities and it file was normal size. Can someone check what is wrong with this file and try to fix it, because i dont want to lose this activity. This is not my first broken file, i lost few important activities so far.

DRAGONFLY_PL
03-28-2011, 04:39 AM
Hi,

I cannot upload following files into Garmin Connect. Fit file is the base file recorded on Edge 500. Even though fit file didn't upload into Garmin Connect, I managed to put it into Garmin Traning Center and save as tcx / gpx file. But those file also won't upload into Garmin Connect.

Could somebody help with with that issue?

Thanks,Pawel

p.s. irrelevant. Issue resolved itself. Apparently it was Garmin Connect issue. Files are now uploading smoothly.

NIPPINPIPPIN
03-28-2011, 05:25 AM
Hi,
I am new to the forum so apologies in advance if I`ve made an error in any way.
I believe corrupt fit files can be repaired. The attached file uploads to Training Centre straight away but it will not load to Garmin Connect. I use Garmin Connect as my fitness/health software and also have goals set so a repair would be great.
This is the first issue I`ve had with my Garmin 500 which has been fantastic.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

RACINGHEART
03-28-2011, 02:23 PM
Hi,
I am new to the forum so apologies in advance if I`ve made an error in any way.
I believe corrupt fit files can be repaired. The attached file uploads to Training Centre straight away but it will not load to Garmin Connect. I use Garmin Connect as my fitness/health software and also have goals set so a repair would be great.
This is the first issue I`ve had with my Garmin 500 which has been fantastic.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
While you're waiting for someone to fix your file, remember that if you can import it successfully into GTC, you can always export that ride data as a TCX file which should be importable into GC. You will lose your temperature numbers, but other than that the ride data should be representative of your effort.

KIRBY.HAIZLIP@YAHOO.COM
03-29-2011, 03:48 PM
I've had two recent difficulties with rides not uploading to GC.
the first is from 3/13, and, disturbingly, is only a 2kb file. It will not upload to ascent on my mac.
The second is from 3/27 and will upload to Ascent without difficulty. I was able to export a .tcx file and tried to correct the error using an XML editor (it looked like the last trackpoint wasn't complete), but GC would not accept my revised .tcx file.

LORENZOBRUNELLO
04-01-2011, 11:44 PM
Hello,

Garmin Connect wasn't unable to load the attached .fit file. The upload in TC fails too.

Thx for help.

Lorenzo

TEXMURPHY
04-02-2011, 08:38 AM
Hello,
Garmin Connect wasn't unable to load the attached .fit file. The upload in TC fails too. Thx for help.
Lorenzo
I was able to load the file to Garmin Connect without problems.

TWOM1984
04-02-2011, 01:26 PM
Training Center and Sporttracks are unable to load the attached file. Somebody any idea what's wrong?

TEXMURPHY
04-02-2011, 02:03 PM
Training Center and Sporttracks are unable to load the attached file. Somebody any idea what's wrong?
Interesting, TCX Converter (http://www.teambikeolympo.it/TCXConverter/TeamBikeOlympo_-_TCX_Converter/TCX_Converter.html) will read this file, but fails on tcx export which can be recovered by xml editing. Which I attached for your use.

unstedc
04-03-2011, 12:51 AM
Can anyone repair the attached file so that I can upload it into TC?

GARETH-COOPER
04-03-2011, 04:59 AM
Hi guys,

I have a corrupt .fit file which I'm trying to upload into Training Peaks (via Training Peaks Device Agent) I get a "No workout found" message on doing this. I've also tried to upload the file into Garmin Connect too with no joy. It woud be great if someone could identiy the problem

thanks

Gareth

c-fairley
04-03-2011, 07:54 PM
Hi there, new user and my first activity recorded seems to be corrupted. I've done some reading and tried opening this .fit file with TCX Converter and SportTracks with no luck on either. Can anyone help? I'm trying to get this into Garmin Connect. Thanks!

jobinobi
04-08-2011, 03:51 PM
hmm..

today I tried to view the latest workout in "history" and Edge 500 just hung up by showing "working" for over 15 minutes. I couldn't do a thing but to hard reset the unit. After reboot, this workout couldn't be viewed in "history" on the unit, nor could it be uploaded into GTC or other softwares, such as Golden Cheetah. Nevertheless, the fit file exists on the unit and is attached below.

I'd be appreciated if someone could take a look at it and give me some hints on what went wrong. Any info of FIT SDK/Format would be greatly welcome too.

Thanks!

- jobi

joyen_chang
04-09-2011, 08:45 AM
Can you help me to fix the corrupted file ?

Thanks.

SIXPIN
04-14-2011, 04:55 PM
Hi

I have this corrupted .fit file does anyone would be able to help me with the attached file?

thank you

Sixto

tribas2205
04-14-2011, 10:29 PM
I tried fixing it using the TCX converter and SportTracks+TCX plugin, but no success... The closest I got was seeing a somehow mirrored version of my (downtown San Jose) run located somewhere in China...!?
If anyone has any idea, let me know. Or better yet, if anybody can fix it...Thanks!

anilbiswal
04-16-2011, 11:09 AM
Hi, unfortunately we have another corrupt fit file from my wifes garmin 110... it's from her first marathon so we'd appreciate any help on this :)
tx,
Anil

webpredator
04-16-2011, 12:41 PM
Nobody seems to reply here :(

WERRU
04-17-2011, 09:07 AM
Hi,
I would appriciate some help from GARMIN on another "damaged" file.
Thank You

ETHIOPIE
04-19-2011, 01:20 PM
Can someone please fix the next fit file for me?
It is a file from my Edge 800

petehaseler
04-30-2011, 01:43 PM
Can anyone fix this fit file. I've tried all the obvious fixes but have failed

AWEATHERALL
04-30-2011, 03:43 PM
Hi, unfortunately we have another corrupt fit file from my wifes garmin 110... it's from her first marathon so we'd appreciate any help on this :)
tx,
Anil

I salvaged as much data as I could. Try this it is a compressed TCX file. The file had no end so hopefully this is all the data.

Looks like the Rotterdam marathon in 5:18.
Just down load the file and extract from the zip.

foodawg8
05-11-2011, 09:12 AM
Hi,

I have a bad file that won't upload as well, any help is appreciated.

AWEATHERALL
05-11-2011, 09:42 AM
Hi,

I have a bad file that won't upload as well, any help is appreciated.

In this case the file would load into Garmin Training Center. So I loaded it there and then exported it as a TCX file. This file will now load into Garmin Connect.

Attached as a zip file.

foodawg8
05-11-2011, 05:15 PM
Thanks for your help, is there something I can do to avoid this from occuring again?

AWEATHERALL
05-11-2011, 05:36 PM
I did not see anything wrong in what you were doing. You could try upgrading the firmware as you are on 2.10 and 2.20 is out.

adaryanto
05-12-2011, 04:26 AM
My route can not be uploaded, the notification is uploading .... and it never ends.
Trying using GTC but no luck as well.

Somebody please help ...

fit is as attached

AWEATHERALL
05-12-2011, 08:19 AM
My route can not be uploaded, the notification is uploading .... and it never ends.

Somebody please help ...

fit is as attached

The file is missing.

adaryanto
05-12-2011, 08:49 PM
The file is missing.

My apology, attached in original message

-anto

AWEATHERALL
05-13-2011, 02:31 PM

Somebody please help ...

fit is as attached

It looks like the device just stopped recording. I have recovered as much data as I could. It is attached as a compressed TCX file. Download, decompress then upload to GTC.

SAILJR
05-14-2011, 07:02 PM
The fit file attached is corrupted. I would appreciate it very much if someone could try to recover this file since it is an important century race for me.

Some things about this file:

1. The 500 Edge can not even read the file when you try to go to history. It shows no totals on the first screen but does show 5 out of 6 laps.
2. Training center says the file has been imported successfully but it is not displayed as imported.

The data record mode is "every second"

AWEATHERALL
05-14-2011, 08:08 PM
The fit file attached is corrupted. I would appreciate it very much if someone could try to recover this file since it is an important century race for me.

Some things about this file:

1. The 500 Edge can not even read the file when you try to go to history. It shows no totals on the first screen but does show 5 out of 6 laps.
2. Training center says the file has been imported successfully but it is not displayed as imported.

The data record mode is "every second"

Here is the file as a zipped TCX file. Download, decompress and you should now be able to load it. If you have any issues let me know.

Cainy
05-16-2011, 03:11 PM
Could someone please advise if the files really have lost data.
Strange - first 20+ miles recorded, 40+ miles lost then last 10+miles recorded.

Of three of us with Edge500 we all had similar problems on the day with one having lost same stage of the route.

Interestingly, we all lost the course display at exactly the same time on the route and came back at same time. Using fixed 800ft zoom made it much more stable but not 100%.

These seem to be consistent s/w bugs so hoping Garmin come good with fixes in next upgrade?

MAUSER_COM_PL
05-17-2011, 01:41 AM
Could you try to fix this file? So far my first one.

ROCKMEISSTER
05-17-2011, 02:19 PM
I have a corrupt fit file from my edge 500.

When trying to import the workout Garmin communicator comes with an error saying "Fit decode error: Endian 40 not supported"

Can you please fix it

adaryanto
05-18-2011, 08:53 AM
It looks like the device just stopped recording. I have recovered as much data as I could. It is attached as a compressed TCX file. Download, decompress then upload to GTC.

Hi Alan,
I have succeeded imported into GTC. Now I have my route back.
May I know what is the real problem ? Quite interesting you managed to restore the fit file while GC and GTC did not.

Thanks in advance,
-anto

AWEATHERALL
05-18-2011, 12:31 PM
It looks like the device just stopped recording or was switched off. If you stop the recording and do a reset the FIT file contains summary information at the end. This summary information is also added when you connect the device to the usb if you had not done a reset before switching the Edge off. For some reason this did not happen.
I always prefer to do a reset and wait for the countdown to complete before switching the unit off.

This information was not present. It looks like GTC is better able to handle an unexpected end of file than Garmin Connect.

DOUGMCKINNELL
05-18-2011, 01:35 PM
Hello,

Regretfully I have lost my first workouts to corrupt fit files.

The Saturday workout I did not reset but when I turned on the device on Sunday morning it wasn't there (timer reset to zero etc.)

The Sunday workout I did reset and I reviewed it following the reset in the history setting but now that too has vanished.

Both workouts were following courses.

Happy to answer any additional questions if helpful for debugging.

Very grateful if anything can be recovered.

Many thanks,

Doug

leen.vanrompaye
05-20-2011, 03:04 PM
Same problem here, the upload in garmin connect just keeps spinning, the manual upload gives a generic error, and training center doesn't recognize the file, it just imports all the other .fit files.
If someone could fix my .fit file, I would be very grateful!

AWEATHERALL
05-20-2011, 04:05 PM
Same problem here, the upload in garmin connect just keeps spinning, the manual upload gives a generic error, and training center doesn't recognize the file, it just imports all the other .fit files.
If someone could fix my .fit file, I would be very grateful!

Try the attached. Zipped TCX file. Download and unzip.

leen.vanrompaye
05-22-2011, 02:14 AM
Try the attached. Zipped TCX file. Download and unzip.

Thanks, that worked!!
Can you tell me how you converted the file to a tcx file so that I can do this myself in the future?

AWEATHERALL
05-22-2011, 03:07 PM
Thanks, that worked!!
Can you tell me how you converted the file to a tcx file so that I can do this myself in the future?

I use a number of different tools, often in combination, depending on the type of problem.

In terms of just straight conversion to TCX you could just load the file into Garmin Connect or Garmin Training Center and then export as TCX.

In this case the file would not load so you could try "TCX Converter". This is a nice tool and allows files to be converted from one format to another and is good for removing a few bad GPS points provided the distance has not got messed up. It will also tend to load a number of FIT files that Garmin Connect might reject.

Once in TCX format you can use an XML editor like Firstobject to remove trackpoints and change values.

For more complex issues I will use the FIT SDK to unpack a file, correct the data and then repack it to a FIT file. I will then typically convert the FIT to TCX as not all applications or sites can load the repacked FIT file. FIT can be written in two formats depending on how a machines operating system handles endianness. The FIT file declares what format it is using, but a number of sites have written parsers that only support little endians as this is the format on the Edge and not the big endians, which the standard also covers.

In terms of what I did with your file. This file was not able to be loaded directly into Garmin Connect, but it would load into "TCX Converter". So I just loaded it and then saved it as a TCX file and then compressed it to get around an issue with this forum, which does not appear to allow me to upload TCX files to the limit size specified in the uploader.

Tool Locations
TCX Converter - http://www.teambikeolympo.it/tcxconverter/teambikeolympo_-_tcx_converter/tcx_converter_eng.html
FirstObject XML Editor- http://www.firstobject.com/
FIT SDK - http://www.thisisant.com/pages/products/fit-sdk

SKIJUMPERSC
06-04-2011, 07:40 PM
I've also got a file that got currupted somehow, can you take a look at it for me?

SPAM.GAZ@GMAIL.COM
06-05-2011, 06:53 AM
Please could you fix this fit file for me?

AWEATHERALL
06-05-2011, 08:55 AM
Please could you fix this fit file for me?

Try this. The file is attached as a zipped/compressed tcx file. Just download and unzip/decompress.

SPAM.GAZ@GMAIL.COM
06-05-2011, 09:54 AM
Try this. The file is attached as a zipped/compressed tcx file. Just download and unzip/decompress.

Awesome Sir!

How did you correct this or is it complex enough as posting here with a corrupt file would be quicker?

AWEATHERALL
06-05-2011, 10:06 AM
Awesome Sir!

How did you correct this or is it complex enough as posting here with a corrupt file would be quicker?

In this case the first part was easy, but the second part is a little more complex, but you could use the data without doing the second part.

Part I
I was able to open the file using TCX Converter. I then saved it as a TCX file. The TCX file was missing maxspeed.

Part II
To get the maxspeed I used the FIT SDK to unpack the binary and found the maximum value for speed. I then used an XML editor to add that value into the TCX file.

TCX Converter can be found at
http://www.teambikeolympo.it/tcxconverter/teambikeolympo_-_tcx_converter/tcx_converter_eng.html

SPAM.GAZ@GMAIL.COM
06-05-2011, 12:09 PM
Ahh maybe that's where I was getting stuck. Setting up the FIT SDK must require some tinkering as it's not plain and simply running a program from unpacking.

The online map site I used (Ridewithgps) could read the file fine, GC and GTC did not like it. When I studied the ridewithgps export tcx of that course using an XML editor it omitted the ant data (HR, cadence, etc).

montymontgomery
06-19-2011, 07:35 AM
I believe I have a totally messed up file. I was unable to attach it to this post. I put it on my web site, which can be found here (http://nanandmont.com/fit/)

I have had the Edge 500 for 6 months and have not had a problem. Yesterday I road the Horribly Hilly Hundreds (http://www.horriblyhilly.com/home.html). When I tried to review the recorded data I found I was unable to upload it. As you can see the file name is very unusual. "current_activity.fit"

I did the 200k and the file is very large. If anyone can fix the file I would be sooooooooo happy.

THanks
Monty

Oh, I was not wearing my Heart Rate monitor...

AWEATHERALL
06-19-2011, 08:12 AM
I believe I have a totally messed up file. I was unable to attach it to this post. I put it on my web site, which can be found here (http://nanandmont.com/fit/)

I have had the Edge 500 for 6 months and have not had a problem. Yesterday I road the Horribly Hilly Hundreds (http://www.horriblyhilly.com/home.html). When I tried to review the recorded data I found I was unable to upload it. As you can see the file name is very unusual. "current_activity.fit"

I did the 200k and the file is very large. If anyone can fix the file I would be sooooooooo happy.

THanks
Monty

Oh, I was not wearing my Heart Rate monitor...

I will take a look this morning, but a file name of current_activity.fit looks like the unit did not complete or do a reset after you stopped recording.

Update.

I looked at the FIT file and the data is good, but there is no summary/total information at the end, which is why it will not load into Garmin Connect. This would indicate that that the reset did not complete. With a large FIT file like this you may need to hold the reset button for a long time. Check your Edge to see if the ride still shows on the data pages, if it does try pressing the lap/reset as you may be able to get it to complete the file. As part of the completion process it will get renamed.

I have been able to recover what you had as a tcx file, but if you had any lap information that is lost, but all the data is there. It is attached as compressed/zipped file. The TCX file is 18 MB so it will take a while for Garmin Connect to process when you do a manual upload.

montymontgomery
06-19-2011, 10:06 AM
Thanks so much, I was able to read the data!

Holy f-n CRAZY, I maxed at 58.3 mph!!!
Ride data (http://connect.garmin.com/activity/93440249)

Thanks again!!
Monty

I will take a look this morning, but a file name of current_activity.fit looks like the unit did not complete or do a reset after you stopped recording.

Update.

I looked at the FIT file and the data is good, but there is no summary/total information at the end, which is why it will not load into Garmin Connect. This would indicate that that the reset did not complete. With a large FIT file like this you may need to hold the reset button for a long time. Check your Edge to see if the ride still shows on the data pages, if it does try pressing the lap/reset as you may be able to get it to complete the file. As part of the completion process it will get renamed.

I have been able to recover what you had as a tcx file, but if you had any lap information that is lost, but all the data is there. It is attached as compressed/zipped file. The TCX file is 18 MB so it will take a while for Garmin Connect to process when you do a manual upload.

abrowncow
06-22-2011, 09:13 PM
I don't know if this is the right place to post but I have a file from a very cool ride which doesn't want to upload. I could open it with golden cheetah, but garmin connect just sits there forever and garmin training center says the file contains no activities.

I've also noticed that recently my elevation data is a lot less precise than it used to be. One of my usual loops today the elevation graph just looked like one big hump, its usually quite jagged looking. Could it be because it was rainy and the unit got soaking wet?

Cheers,
Andy

AWEATHERALL
06-22-2011, 09:58 PM
I don't know if this is the right place to post but I have a file from a very cool ride which doesn't want to upload. I could open it with golden cheetah, but garmin connect just sits there forever and garmin training center says the file contains no activities.

I've also noticed that recently my elevation data is a lot less precise than it used to be. One of my usual loops today the elevation graph just looked like one big hump, its usually quite jagged looking. Could it be because it was rainy and the unit got soaking wet?

Cheers,
Andy

Hi Andy,

Please find attached a compress/zipped tcx file. Download and decompress it, and see if it gives you what you expect. If not let me know what the problems are.

I noticed a number of things about this ride.

One your Edge 800 is running version 2.00 of the software. This is a very old version and should really be upgraded to the latest release as they will address a number of issues.
Two for some reason the unit thought you had a cadence sensor even though you did not.
The file just ended without the usual summary data, which is why you could not upload it to Garmin Connect. I don't know if the unit just got switched off without stopping the timer or doing a reset, but that is what the data looked like.

abrowncow
06-23-2011, 06:11 AM
Awesome, thanks. I have just upgraded the firmware as you suggested. Also, I switch the unit between several bikes, only one of them has a cadence sensor. I must have forgot to switch bike profiles for that ride.

Again, I really appreciate it and can't believe the quick response time!

MGEUSS
06-25-2011, 04:13 PM
I've started to dread the Garmin 800 device. This is my second one from Garmin (they replaced the first one because it froze and was acting funny) and again it's frozen on a ride and *ucked up my data file. After it froze I was able to get it back running again and it seemed to be recording. I stopped the time at the end of the ride and then held the reset button. Things seemed to be OK. Well of course after getting home the file shows "empty" to any programs I use to try to download "Connect.garmin.com" or Training Center.

If someone can take a look at this file and salvage what they can't I would definitely appreciate their time.

Thanks.

Disappointed Garmin 800 User at this point.

MrsVanTiki
06-25-2011, 08:31 PM
Had my first corrupt .fit file on a brand new edge 800 today. 13 + miles, stopped for lunch and a trip over on the ferry, started up and it reset itself. ;-( It's there, but can't be read by GC.

Mahalo and Aloha for the help! Hopefully someone can fix. Thanks!

Denise

FKRAGH
06-26-2011, 07:25 AM
Hello :)

Been out riding a long trip today, just to find out that my activity won't upload to garmin connect :( It seems something went wrong after lap 9, since all laps from there have no data. The totals are correct tho.

If any of you have the time to give it a look I would be much grateful :)

Thanks,

Frederik

WINNIDUDE
07-03-2011, 07:50 PM
I'm hoping I didn't lose this file, can't I get assistance on possibly fixing this fit file.

Thanks,
Custie

AWEATHERALL
07-03-2011, 11:03 PM
I'm hoping I didn't lose this file, can't I get assistance on possibly fixing this fit file.

Thanks,
Custie

You appear to have 2 different activities combined in the same file, which is part of the problem. One is on July 1st and is around 15km the second is on Jul 3rd and 103 km.

Does this sound about right and do you need both recovered?

MATHIKRALLI
07-09-2011, 07:44 AM
Hi,

I own an Edge 800 and from time to time my fit files are corrupted, especially on long distance rides of 5 hours and more.

Is anyone able and willing to help me with analysing the problem? Last night and this morning I wrote a VB file editor / repair tool for the fit format and nocited that the records between 95 km and 98 km distance are damaged. I was able to export all correct records up to that point and after this into a tcx file and import this tcx file into garmin connect finally. But I would really like to know the reason for these corruptions in the middle of the fit files.

Before I decided to help myself with this self written VB file edtitor / repair tool the corruption of fit files was really frustrating. Although I think I am able to help myself now I would like to understand the reason fot the preoblems. I use firmware version 2.20.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Mathias

MATHIKRALLI
07-11-2011, 12:17 PM
Hi Frederik,

I was able to repair your fit file with my fit file repair tool and converted it into a tcx file. I think the file is complete (approximately 10 records in the middle of the file were unreadable / destroyed) and I hope that the tcx file format is ok for you. An upload to garmin connect was successful.

Greetings
Mathias

MATHIKRALLI
07-11-2011, 12:51 PM
Hi Winnidude,

enclosed you find a zip file which includes two files in the tcx file format with your 2 trips - July 1rd and July 3rd. I hope you can make use of the repaired file!

Greetings
Mathias

Thanks,
Custie

TrevorConnor
07-11-2011, 10:32 PM
Sorry to throw another corrupt .fit file, but would it be possible for you to see if you can recover the attached file. I haven't had any luck with it.

jennym129
07-12-2011, 02:50 AM
Hello

I have 1 problem. Im using Garmin Forerunnner 110 HR and after yesterdays activity i save it by pressing button lap/reset. After that i shut down my device. When i came home i wanted to see that activity in menu histrory, but it didnt save right. It was display 00:00:00 time and 0 calories. When i connect my device with my computer and i wanted to upload to garmin connect it didnt let me. I went to check file at folder activities and it file was normal size. Can someone check what is wrong with this file and try to fix it, because i dont want to lose this activity. This is not my first broken file, i lost few important activities so far.

MATHIKRALLI
07-12-2011, 05:43 AM
Hi JennyM,

I think I was able to repair your fit file and saved it in the tcx file format. From time to time my repair tool is having problems with position data - could you please tell me if the position data are ok after uploading/importing the repaired file?

greetings
Mathias

Hello

TRELLO
07-12-2011, 06:02 AM
which program do you use for repair? can you share thxs

jennym129
07-12-2011, 06:03 AM
Thank you. Just the calories burnt missing so not complaining. Thank you.

MATHIKRALLI
07-12-2011, 08:45 AM
@trello:

I developed it with Microsoft Access. It's not working perfectly at the moment, I'm having problems with the position data which are stored as semicircles and need to be converted into degrees. As soon as this problem is solved I can share it.

Mathias

which program do you use for repair? can you share thxs

MATHIKRALLI
07-18-2011, 01:04 AM
If someone would like to get my "fit file repair tool" please send an email to mathias.krallmann<at>freenet.de (replace <at> by @ in my email address). The tool requires Microsoft Access XP or newer (2003, 2007, 2010) being installed on your pc.

From time to time I'm still having problems with the position data. If you encounter problems please let me know!

Greetings
Mathias

@trello:

I developed it with Microsoft Access. It's not working perfectly at the moment, I'm having problems with the position data which are stored as semicircles and need to be converted into degrees. As soon as this problem is solved I can share it.

Mathias

MARKSHAW77
07-19-2011, 03:13 PM
Any chance someone can look at this FIT file - it is one of 2 rides that Garmin Connect wouldn't import - one of them worked in GTC so I have exported it back out as a TCX and it now works fine in Connect, but this one won't work in anything (Connect, GTC, Golden Cheetah, etc)

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help

AWEATHERALL
07-19-2011, 03:54 PM
Any chance someone can look at this FIT file - it is one of 2 rides that Garmin Connect wouldn't import - one of them worked in GTC so I have exported it back out as a TCX and it now works fine in Connect, but this one won't work in anything (Connect, GTC, Golden Cheetah, etc)

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help

I have recovered as much as I can. You have lost data associated with calories, but otherwise it looks good. Attached as a zipped tcx file.

JIMTAMES
07-21-2011, 05:31 AM
This is a great tool. Very, very nicely put together. Mathias sent it out to me within minutes of emailing him, as I had my first corrupt FIT file today.

I didn't do anything unusual with regards to a hard shutdown etc., I stopped recording, reset the data, and powered off like I always do at the end. When I came to upload it, I tried Garmin Connect, Strava, Sport Tracks and Training Center - all of them failed to import it.

The tool that Mathias sent me was able to import all the points of the activity, and it was clear that the final 6 points were dated April 19th 2011, which is odd as I recorded it today :)

I removed those points in the GUI, which I would say was pretty intuitive, and saved the remaining points as a TCX file, which imported as it should.

Great job, Mathias.

Tim

MATHIKRALLI
07-22-2011, 04:39 AM
Over the last three weeks I have developed a repair tool that is able to fix corrupt fit files and save them as tcx files which can be uploaded to garmin connect and be imported by many programs like training center.

The tool is very easy to use. Corrupted records can be identified and be deleted. Microsoft Access XP or newer (2003, 2007,2010) is needed on your PC. If you don't have MS Access installed you can download a (free) runtime version of MS Access and use the repair tool with it.

If you would like to get the repair tool please send an email to mathias.krallmann<at>freenet.de (replace <at> by @ in the email address).

I hope this tool will help many people to rescue their valuable data.

greetings
Mathias

ABQTJ
07-25-2011, 03:08 PM
can anyone tell me what's wrong with this file?

I'm on a MAC, so the tools posted above won't help me :(

MATHIKRALLI
07-25-2011, 03:50 PM
Hi ABQTJ,

please try to upload / import the attached tcx file. I repaired your fit file with my repair tool and hope you can make use of the tcx file.

Mathias

can anyone tell me what's wrong with this file?

I'm on a MAC, so the tools posted above won't help me :(

ABQTJ
07-25-2011, 03:52 PM
Wow, that worked great! Thanks so much!!

MARKKNEEN
07-26-2011, 06:14 AM
@MATHIKRALLI - I don't have access installed, though I know a bit about SQL. How easy would it be to migrate your App to something like Postgres or MySQL?

MATHIKRALLI
07-28-2011, 09:04 AM
@MARKKNEEN

upps, probably quite difficult. The program itself is written in Visual Basic but not too complicated to be transferred into other languages like C, Java etc. But the program makes intense use of the forms, form fields and their events in MS Access. At least for me it is not possible to transfer this into a Postgres or MySQL based software, sorry ...

Mathias

@MATHIKRALLI - I don't have access installed, though I know a bit about SQL. How easy would it be to migrate your App to something like Postgres or MySQL?

c-fairley
07-28-2011, 12:44 PM
Hi there, can someone please see if they can recover this file, thanks so much!

AWEATHERALL
07-28-2011, 01:17 PM
Hi there, can someone please see if they can recover this file, thanks so much!

Try the attached. I have recovered as much as I could.

c-fairley
07-28-2011, 03:50 PM
Thanks Alan!

wyoracerx
07-30-2011, 08:28 PM
is it possible that one of you all could please recover my fit file that corrupted on me today? +5 hour race likely caused the error

thanks
Brian

AWEATHERALL
07-30-2011, 10:55 PM
is it possible that one of you all could please recover my fit file that corrupted on me today? +5 hour race likely caused the error

thanks
Brian

Try the attached zipped tcx file.

moiz
07-31-2011, 12:58 AM
Hello,
Could I please have assistance recovering the data from my .fit file.
Thanks.

wyoracerx
07-31-2011, 06:46 AM
Thanks Alan!

MATHIKRALLI
07-31-2011, 11:16 AM
@MOIZ_JAFFERJI@LIVE.COM:

attached you find a repaired version of your fit file. It's in the tcx file format which you should be able to upload to garmin connect or import into your training software.

If you have problems please let me know!

Mathias

Hello,
Could I please have assistance recovering the data from my .fit file.
Thanks.

PGAPRO1981@YAHOO.COM
08-04-2011, 07:26 PM
Hi,

Can someone please help me with this corrupt fit file. I couldn't import it into GTC, GC, or Training Peaks WKO+.

Thanks.

AWEATHERALL
08-04-2011, 07:46 PM
Hi,

Can someone please help me with this corrupt fit file. I couldn't import it into GTC, GC, or Training Peaks WKO+.

Thanks.

Try the attached zipped tcx file.

aqua80
08-06-2011, 12:13 PM
also got my first corrupted file today !
any way to fix it ?
thanks !

MATHIKRALLI
08-06-2011, 12:23 PM
@AQUA80:

attached you find your repaired fit file - I hope it is complete (only 20 min.?). I saved it in the tcx file format. Please unzip it and import/upload the tcx file.

Mathias

any way to fix it ?
thanks !

AWEATHERALL
08-06-2011, 12:27 PM
any way to fix it ?
thanks !

As you might expect with a file that is only 10k in size there was very little data, just 0.57km. I have attached what was there.

aqua80
08-06-2011, 12:47 PM
@AQUA80:

attached you find your repaired fit file - I hope it is complete (only 20 min.?). I saved it in the tcx file format. Please unzip it and import/upload the tcx file.

Mathias

thanks ! and no it is not complete...
don't know what happened...
my activity was about an 1h30 in total, with bike and run after the swim... and it was working fine during the ride :confused:
i put in a ziplock and under my swimcap like i always do..

i also have hard times logging in this forum... keeps unlogging me :mad:

anyways thanks again...

claudesiadaczka
08-06-2011, 01:44 PM
Can you guys take a look at this file. It seems to be corrupted.

MATHIKRALLI
08-06-2011, 02:01 PM
@CLAUDESIADACZKA:

please try to upload/import the attached file (after unzipping it)!

Mathias

Can you guys take a look at this file. It seems to be corrupted.

Cycledrophis
08-08-2011, 01:34 AM

This file is somehow corrupted. Any help available?

Jari