PDA

View Full Version : Edge 705 Lost Communication

DUCKF
01-12-2010, 01:55 AM
My computer does not recognise my Edge after starting up this morning Instead of opening the Garmin Folder it no see two removable disks with noting inside them. I am using Windows Xp :confused:

DATEZZ
01-12-2010, 02:18 AM
Make sure you are using the factory usb cable. Plug the cable into a different port on the computer. Does the 705 screen show you connected to a computer or charging the battery?

DUCKF
01-12-2010, 02:35 AM
I am using the factory cable and after using a different port it show that it is connected to the computer

DATEZZ
01-12-2010, 10:34 AM
So the 705 is connected. Do you get the Garmin folder now? Inside the Garmin folder there should be 4 main folders, Courses, GPX, History, Profile plus several more operating and map files. If the Garmin folder is empty then I think Garmin Support will have to send you new operating files.

DUCKF
01-12-2010, 11:55 AM
No I do not get the garmin File just two removable disks. Al the data is stil on the unit but canot see it on any program

DATEZZ
01-12-2010, 10:22 PM
The summary of your ride data that you see on the 705 screen in "History" is recorded and stored separately from the tcx file that is stored in the "History Folder" which is in the "Garmin Folder".

It is possible to delete (or corrupt) the tcx file from the "History Folder" and still have the summary of your ride data in the 705 in "History". They are separate. The summary data is not accessable or transferable or anything. The only thing you can do is delete it or leave it alone.

If you have a microSD card installed remove it. Plug the 705 into the computer and after a few seconds a screen should pop up with a single folder named Garmin. Double click it and you should get a new screen with the 4 folders and various files I mentioned before. If that does not happen you need someone smarter than me.

JROSEDALES
01-13-2010, 06:45 PM
When the 705 is connected if I'm reading this right, you can see 2 removable drives but not able to open the drives to see any folders.

Is it asking you to insert a disk?

Does the 705 have a picture of it being connected to a computer?

Try connecting the device while the device is turned off.

DUCKF
01-14-2010, 03:50 AM
It is not asking for a disk. I could see 2 removable drives but at the moment it wil show that it is connected to the computer and then go into charging. There is no problems when using my 305

4CUADROS
04-10-2010, 06:39 AM
THIS SEEM TO BE A GENERAL PROBLEM, AND I AM POSTING IN ALL TREATS REGARDING THIS MATTER. I HAVE THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM. I AM POSTING THIS IN HOPE FOR HELP:

I have the edge 705 and worked perfectly for 4 weeks, comunicating fine with training center and weiving on google earth and everything. Now from one day to another there is no way of connecting to pc. Have dl all updates and programs, restarted soft and hard, tried another pc. No connection possible. When opening training center under help, it says that no usb driver installed, this is not correct, i have installed 10 times the drivers. No pc can recognize my unit?? Any help is highly appreciated.

ROBOTHEAD
04-10-2010, 10:03 AM
THIS SEEM TO BE A GENERAL PROBLEM, AND I AM POSTING IN ALL TREATS REGARDING THIS MATTER. I HAVE THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM. I AM POSTING THIS IN HOPE FOR HELP:

I have the edge 705 and worked perfectly for 4 weeks, comunicating fine with training center and weiving on google earth and everything. Now from one day to another there is no way of connecting to pc. Have dl all updates and programs, restarted soft and hard, tried another pc. No connection possible. When opening training center under help, it says that no usb driver installed, this is not correct, i have installed 10 times the drivers. No pc can recognize my unit?? Any help is highly appreciated.

Not sure if this will solve your problem and it even sounds like you may have done this a few times but my first suggestion is to re-install everything.
Un-install everything first, clean out your cache and the, now obsolete, registry keys on your PC and start over by re-installing all drivers and software.
If this does not solve the problem I'd then give Garmin Support a call.

Also, in the future, start a new thread for your particular problem and try not to flood the place w the same question.
I realize the 705 can be very confusing and problematic but you'll be better off by focusing on one thread.

Good luck, 4CUADROS, hope you are back up and running soon.

ALEXISKZ
04-10-2010, 12:15 PM
Any help is highly appreciated.

I think I have the same problem - tried with 3 different PC and Mac, master reset the device several times, used the factory cable but no luck. I believe there is virtually no cure for this and the best thing you could do is call Garmin Support. I think they are getting too many emails so a call could be faster - which I will try early next week once I find time to do so in my workplace, during their business hours....

I hope you pour a full of patience to get this resolved, as Garmin Support seems not aware of this problem and they look like short of hands...

4CUADROS
04-10-2010, 01:06 PM
Thanks to all of you. I think I will have to return the GPS to Garmin. You are right it does not seem like Garmin is aware of this problem. There is absolutely no help to get on web site. I have talked to Garmin, they want me to send them my GPS for repair, at my cost even the GPS is only 2 month old??? Hope they are wrong and recognise they failure.

ALEXISKZ
04-10-2010, 07:03 PM
4CUADROS, can you please tell me which Garmin office you called? I prefer to talk to people who have already handled this issue.

And it is surprising that Garmin is going to charge for repair. It is apparent that the defects is in the unit, not in users.

HILDE@MTBIKE
04-11-2010, 02:10 PM
Hello, we've got our Edge since the end of Februar '10 and we also have the same problem since last week. Before it was working perfect !!!! Can anyone tell us if we can solve this problem ourself, or do we really have to sent the Edge 705 back to Garmin ? I'm tired of resetting, reinstalling software and so on ........
Grtz from Belgium

GOLDCOASTER13
04-12-2010, 05:48 PM
I bought My 705 about 3 weeks ago worked great for first 2 then stopped communicating ! Have spent the last week trying to get it to work, unloading, re-loading - resetting - searching through Garmin web support ect, have sent a couple of e-mails to and had reply's from their Tech support, (but frustrating, 'of course I've switched it off and back on again'!)
Just come across this forum!
Showing exactly the same symptoms as others have listed here
Windows Explorer sees two drives F & G on my Pc. but no folders in either.
I have downloaded Garmin Communicator Plugin and USB drives - when I now run the test page it says 'Garmin GPS device is detected and communicating correctly' yet it still will not communicate with WebUpdater or Training Center
I have also downloaded Training center on to a friends computer and it won't communicate with it
In Windows Device Manager - Disc Drives - it sees it as a Garmin Edge705 Flash USB Device and Garmin Edge705 SD Card USB Device (no card in slot)
Has anyone actually fixed this problem yet? Surley its a software problem!
Why was this forum so hard to find from the Garmin Website Home page?
Why doesn't Garmin Tech, support answer questions here?

4CUADROS
04-13-2010, 04:07 AM
I bought My 705 about 3 weeks ago worked great for first 2 then stopped communicating ! Have spent the last week trying to get it to work, unloading, re-loading - resetting - searching through Garmin web support ect, have sent a couple of e-mails to and had reply's from their Tech support, (but frustrating, 'of course I've switched it off and back on again'!)
Just come across this forum!
Showing exactly the same symptoms as others have listed here
Windows Explorer sees two drives F & G on my Pc. but no folders in either.
I have downloaded Garmin Communicator Plugin and USB drives - when I now run the test page it says 'Garmin GPS device is detected and communicating correctly' yet it still will not communicate with WebUpdater or Training Center
I have also downloaded Training center on to a friends computer and it won't communicate with it
In Windows Device Manager - Disc Drives - it sees it as a Garmin Edge705 Flash USB Device and Garmin Edge705 SD Card USB Device (no card in slot)
Has anyone actually fixed this problem yet? Surley its a software problem!
Why was this forum so hard to find from the Garmin Website Home page?
Why doesn't Garmin Tech, support answer questions here?

I AM IN CONTACT WITH GARMIN SPAIN AND HAVE TO RETURN THE EDGE 705 TO TECHNICAL SERVICE. It seems like Garimin is not aware of this problem. It seems to be a general problem.

ALEXISKZ
04-14-2010, 01:04 AM
had reply's from their Tech support, (but frustrating, 'of course I've switched it off and back on again'!)

Same here. I wrote that I did master reset many times but the first mail I got was asking me to master reset.

I am communicating tech support in Taiwan and they have finally arranged a repair for me (thank God)

I know a few people using 705 of the same software version (3.10), and given that theirs have no problem at all for more than a year, I bet the problem is rather in the hardware (certain lot having vulnerable circuit, etc.). My Edge 705s had this defect twice in a row - both bought within past 6 months.

GOLDCOASTER13
04-19-2010, 03:20 AM
After a number of e-mails back and forth to Garmin Tech Support (telling me to do things I had already done) they have told me to send it back to the retailer for exchange - which I have just done
Obviously a problem they haven't seen or got to the bottom of! - hope the new one doesn't suffer same problem - it was so good while working!

CKAOS
04-19-2010, 07:54 AM
Hi,

I had the same problem as you guys, the Garmin 705 did not show up at all on either of my 3 different pc's and a mac after downgrading from 3.10 to 2.90. Tried 8 different USB cables with no luck, didn't help to do a hard/soft reset. I also spoke to Garmin support here in Norway who couldnt help me, they told me to send it in for check/repair.

Then I found a post on another forum which helped me (and hopefully other with the same problem)

Try this:
Posted by user Junfan on bikeforums.net

Anyone hear of "bootblock"?

This is what I got back from Garmin Support when I had problems getting training center or mapsource to recognize my garmin. I have not done this but it is good to know should the need arise again.

Please download and install the current version of WebUpdater at the following link:

http://www8.garmin.com/products/webupdater/howtoinstall.jsp

Run WebUpdater. Before connecting your device to the computer, with the power off, press 'up' on the joystick. Plug the usb cable in and follow the instructions from WebUpdater to update the Edge's software. Be sure to keep pressing 'up' on the joystick for this entire process or it will fail. This procedure is called 'bootblock' and prevents the unit from booting up, but allows the computer to communicate with it for updates.

Note: This helped me, followed the instuctions, upgraded to 3.10 and rebooted the device, all PC's and the Mac is now able to see the Garmin 705 via USB

best regards,
Kurt

DATEZZ
04-19-2010, 09:40 AM
Hi,

I had the same problem as you guys, the Garmin 705 did not show up at all on either of my 3 different pc's and a mac after downgrading from 3.10 to 2.90. Tried 8 different USB cables with no luck, didn't help to do a hard/soft reset. I also spoke to Garmin support here in Norway who couldnt help me, they told me to send it in for check/repair.

Then I found a post on another forum which helped me (and hopefully other with the same problem)

Try this:

This is what I got back from Garmin Support when I had problems getting training center or mapsource to recognize my garmin. I have not done this but it is good to know should the need arise again.

Please download and install the current version of WebUpdater at the following link:

Run WebUpdater. Before connecting your device to the computer, with the power off, press 'up' on the joystick. Plug the usb cable in and follow the instructions from WebUpdater to update the Edge's software. Be sure to keep pressing 'up' on the joystick for this entire process or it will fail. This procedure is called 'bootblock' and prevents the unit from booting up, but allows the computer to communicate with it for updates.

Note: This helped me, followed the instuctions, upgraded to 3.10 and rebooted the device, all PC's and the Mac is now able to see the Garmin 705 via USB

best regards,
Kurt

Hello Kurt,

Thanks for a great post. I have started a folder with copies of posts like yours that give great tips on fixing these tempermental electronic gadgets.

GOLDCOASTER13
04-21-2010, 03:41 AM
Hi,

Try this:

best regards,
Kurt

Thanks for the posting - I would have liked to try this but I have put my unit back in the mail for replacement before I read this - sounds like this advice might be 'The Fix"
Would be interested to know if it works as I'm afraid that my new Edge will be from the same 'Batch'
Has anyone tried the instructions in the posting from Kurt (via someone who knows what they are doing at Garmin) actually that's not fair, their designers must be pretty good! - pity they don't answer some questions here!

Sam.....

4CUADROS
04-23-2010, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the posting - I would have liked to try this but I have put my unit back in the mail for replacement before I read this - sounds like this advice might be 'The Fix"
Would be interested to know if it works as I'm afraid that my new Edge will be from the same 'Batch'
Has anyone tried the instructions in the posting from Kurt (via someone who knows what they are doing at Garmin) actually that's not fair, their designers must be pretty good! - pity they don't answer some questions here!

Sam.....

Hi Kurt and Sam

I have also just send mine back to Garmin for exchange or repair. Well if it happans again we may have the solution here.
Thanks all of you.

Jesper

ZASKER
04-26-2010, 11:26 AM
I'm in the same boat as everyone else on this thread. I've been using my 705 with no problems for 3 month with Training Center, then failure to connect to my PC's via USB early this week. Reloaded Garmin Connect and USB drivers, with no luck? On the line waiting to talk to someone in Garmin Support.

Will update with any news after my tech support call.

4CUADROS
04-26-2010, 12:46 PM
I'm in the same boat as everyone else on this thread. I've been using my 705 with no problems for 3 month with Training Center, then failure to connect to my PC's via USB early this week. Reloaded Garmin Connect and USB drivers, with no luck? On the line waiting to talk to someone in Garmin Support.

Will update with any news after my tech support call.

Dear all. Garmin is givin me a new Edge 705. It is on the way with courier service and should arrive tomorrow. For me it looks like there are no other solutions available. When talking to Garmin service staff they dont even recognize that there is a problem, but they do ship a new machine.

PGOOVAERTS
04-29-2010, 03:17 PM
same problem here. Tried to contact Garmin but no reply on emails. Seems many people have same problem, therefore it's a shame that Garmin reacts this way.
- they should at least answer mails
- they should announce this kind of probs on their website or at least send message to all who has registered their devices.

And this is not the first issue with this devices, i also had problems to upgrade my devices to latest version (3.1) and got a 'fix' from this forum before Garmin sent me (another) workaround.

For this very expensive devices, not to speak of the expensive maps, their support MUST be better.

Anyway, anyone has a sollution? I tried:
- install and reinstall drivers
- install and reinstall webupdater
- soft reset
- hard reset
- BootLock
- connect with other cable
- connect on other PC
- even removed/reinserted my laptop battery (tip on other forum)
Nothing helps.

or do i have to bring my device to the shop where i bought it and as for replacement/repair?

NL-S
05-15-2010, 11:39 AM
Anyway, anyone has a sollution? I tried:
- install and reinstall drivers
- install and reinstall webupdater
- soft reset
- hard reset
- BootLock
- connect with other cable
- connect on other PC
- even removed/reinserted my laptop battery (tip on other forum)
Nothing helps.

Greetings all.
Same problem here - tried all of the above, except laptop battey change. Also have tried mailing Garming Support twice - no answer (Great Britain).

Am in the process of returning the 705, will send as soon as I have new in house. And surprise surprise: It wont be a Garmin. I might be temptet to get a new 705 in return for the old one that is. Its a darn nice piece of equiptment. (But the company Garmin really pi**** me off here..., a Toyota scandal in smaller format one might say)

Kind Regards

Niels

57DIBBS
05-16-2010, 01:13 PM
Pick up the telephone and speak to a Garmin person, if they can't sort it over the phone they'll give you an RMA, you send the faulty unit back, and you get a replacement in 4 or 5 days.
Its really not that difficult :rolleyes:

NL-S
05-17-2010, 04:28 AM
Greatings DIBBS.
Sorry If I ventet at bit there - am really frustratet as you can guess :=) And I do think this thread (and others as well) indicates a recent batch problem, as well as points to lag of Garmin support. I chose to write Garmin GB as my english language is not too good (except within my speciaity :=). I did that twice, and no answer. You would expect an answer wouldnt you?

Today I calld Garmin DK - my native language. Nice people, no suggestions. So item will be returned to my dealer in GB, Wiggle. Living in Norway, to get a return item will take in effect 2 (3?) weeks (my guestimate), certainly not 4-5 days. Plus of course the time allready gone, and spent. Many of us have a traing scedule, depending on puls zones ect. The GPS I can live without (for some time).

But of course you are right, how hard can it be. Just return the darn thing.

Kind Regards

Niels

JALPARKER
05-18-2010, 05:11 AM
After two months with no problems, my Edge 705 is now giving the error "Disk you inserted is not readable". I can see the SD card and files, but not the Edge's memory. I have tried removing the SD card and doing a basic reset on the unit. I have not tried the factory reset that will delete my data. Has anyone else tried the factory reset? I don't want to lose my data, but will do it if that is the only option.

I have an iMac and a MacBook Pro with Parallels installed (same error message on both computers Mac or Parallels). I have the most current version of software for the Edge. I sent an email to Garmin support yesterday. Hopefully they will have some suggestions other than returning the unit for repair. I have several cycling events scheduled over the next few weeks.

DOUGENGEL1
05-18-2010, 08:13 AM
All - I experienced the same "lost communication" issue yesterday. After a long wait with Customer Service, I was transferred to software support. The issue turned out to be a corrupt / full history folder.

I was able to see the same 2 drives, one was empty, one required re-formatting. After re-formatting the history folder was viewable but no past files were present.

I rode this morning using the Garmin and was able to download once again!

TDUNKERLEY
05-18-2010, 09:45 AM
I just purchased a new Edge 705, v. 3.10 SW three days ago. I downloaded all the latest SW as mentioned many times above. I am running it on Vista. When connected via the Garmin-provided USB cable, Explorer is able to see both drives and contents with no problem. However, with the Garmin software, both Training Center and the on-line version, I have been successful only a couple of times in the many, many times that I have attempted to connect. I am posting this only because I see that it is a general problem with the unit and I am hoping that someone in Garmin will be reading these posts and take some action. I am returning my unit to REI for replacement.

TDUNKERLEY
05-18-2010, 09:48 AM
Also, I have been experiencing a constant lock-ups with IE 8 whenever I Garmin's on-line version of Training Center. I get the "not responding" error on a very regular basis. I wonder if this has anything to do with the Edge 705 connecton problems?

NL-S
05-18-2010, 02:27 PM
All - I experienced the same "lost communication" issue yesterday. After a long wait with Customer Service, I was transferred to software support. The issue turned out to be a corrupt / full history folder.

I was able to see the same 2 drives, one was empty, one required re-formatting. After re-formatting the history folder was viewable but no past files were present.

I rode this morning using the Garmin and was able to download once again!

Greetings Dough :0)

How do one re-format?
Willing to try everything here, allthough I have allready ordered the Sigma ROX as replacement Id prefer to keep the Edge for sure....

Kind Regards

Niels

NL-S
05-18-2010, 02:30 PM
I have not tried the factory reset that will delete my data. Has anyone else tried the factory reset? I don't want to lose my data, but will do it if that is the only option.

Greetings Parker :=)

A number of people in this thread have tried the hard reset (I suppose its the same as factory reset?) with no luck. Being in your shoes Id wait as long as possible....

Kind Regards

Niels

NL-S
05-18-2010, 02:36 PM
Greetings all.

Finally got an answer from Garmin International (UK):

Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe. Please connect the Edge to your computer, explore the Garmin drive and go into the Garmin folder and then into the History folder.
In the History folder you should see a list of .tcx files, one for each ride you've recorded. Is this what you see? The name of the tcx files is the time and date they were recorded.
Please help us improve the service we offer you by taking our Customer Support survey. Please click the following link

Clearly they havnt bothered to read my description of the problem - that the Garmin drive (and thereby the History folder) is not visible on PC. *sigh* Well at least its an answer...

Kind Regards

Niels

JALPARKER
05-20-2010, 04:08 AM
Dougengel1,

How did you reformat the drive? I returned my unit on Wednesday per customer support instructions over the phone. It looks like it (or a refurbished unit) is already on the way back to me. I had also contacted them by email and received the following instructions that I did not have a chance to try because the unit was already shipped back to them.

On your device, is it going into the Mass Storage Mode where you see the picture of a device plugged into the computer? It should be in that mode to be recognized. You may try forcing the device into Mass Storage Mode by holding down the power button with the unit shut off for at least 30 seconds while you plug in the USB cable. Hopefully, this will allow the device to be recognized by the computer.

Thanks!

NL-S
05-20-2010, 12:35 PM
Greetings all!

Have recieved a second answer from Garmin International, with detailed instructions that seems promising, at least on print...

Am up to my head in work, but will give it a shot come weekend (havnt had the time to return the Edge yet hehe).

Will post results and instructions asap.

Kind Regards

Niels

PWATKINS999
05-20-2010, 02:15 PM
I've had a similar problem, but I've had my GPS for about 18 months now. No problems until this week. Next week (26th May) I ride lands end --> john o groat and this GPS is meant to be my nagivation for the group. Massive problem.

Mine doesn't even open up the 2 folders. Just no connection at all although the red battery is on the screen so it recognises the device is there, just can't connect. Is this maybe a problem with the most recent firmware update?

I need a solution really quick :(

Paul

NGHPMC
05-20-2010, 02:44 PM
Just no connection at all although the red battery is on the screen so it recognises the device is there, just can't connect. Is this maybe a problem with the most recent firmware update?

When the Red battery is on the screen, it isn't connected for real (just charging) If connected as it should you would have the little "computer picture" on the screen.

Try another cable or another USB port on the PC and look for anything that would cause a bad connection.

Or hopefully the new answer recieved by Niels will solve his problem...and others.

NL-S
05-21-2010, 02:46 PM
Greetings all.

Alas this latest answer I got dosnt help me either - nor will it help those of you who dont get your Edge recognized on My Computer (and thereby are stuck with your History files on the Edge).

The answer will help those of you who are suffering from corruptet History files solely. I have copyed (sp?) the answer below.
A few comments to keep the overview:
First the answer explains how to backup your History file as a Course.
Secondly it explaines how to do Windows Disk Utility (and Mac) on the Edge, in order to rectify present and future History corruption.
Thirdly it describes a workaround to get Course files into your Training Center as History files (by the use of a third party software)

There have been some issues identified with the Edge where it appears
to make the history files corrupt when writing the data. There are a few
things we can try to retrieve the data, the first step is to turn any
history that you can?t upload into courses. To do this go to Menu >
Training > Courses > Create New then select the history file. This will
create a course file so that if the history file is corrupt you will at
least have the course file as a record.
Next, if you are using Windows then please connect the device to the
computer, and go to My Computer. Right click on the Edge and choose
Properties.
Click on the Tool tab and click on the Check Now button. A pop up box
will appear. Please check mark both boxes and press Start.
(If you are using a Mac then open a new Finder Window
Go to Applications - Utilities
Select Disk Utility
Select the GARMIN Drive and click Verify, at which point an error with
the disk will be detected.
Select the GARMIN drive again and click Repair. A Change will then be
made to the drive)
This is a possibility that this could fix it, but not a guarantee,
please retry the transfer after this.

If the data hasn?t uploaded then from the Courses folder on the Edge you
should be able to back up the rides that have been turned into courses.
Copy the rides from this folder to a location on your computer, there is
a third party piece of software which may then allow you to convert
these course files back to history files. This can be found at the
following link:

http://www.teambikeolympo.it/TCXConverter/TeamBikeOlympo_-_TCX_Converter/DOWNLOADS.html

Once the programme is installed, you can click TCX and select the file
you exported. Click on the name of the course and wait for the detailed
data to appear. Then click Save .TCX File, name the file and choose to
Save as History Track. You will be asked for your weight for calorie
calculation purposes. Enter this, then click Go. The file will be saved
as history. On Training Center, click File - Import - History and select
the file. This should then be shown in Training Center.

Unfortunately if there are any problems in peforming this conversion we
cannot support this third party piece of software, however it may
provide you with a solution.

The next step is to connect your Edge to your computer and delete the
History folder from the Garmin folder on your Edge?s internal storage.
Then update the software to / reload version 3.10 using the WebUpdater
from http://www8.garmin.com/products/webupdater/ . Connect your Edge to
your computer, once updated recreate the History folder in the Garmin
folder on your Edge.

We want tailwind and free beer!

Kind Regards

Niels

NL-S
05-21-2010, 03:09 PM
As a PS to my post above:

I am truly flappergastet over Garmin Europe's ability not to answer the question presentet for them.

In danish we have a saying that covers this situation, where the two parts involved are on entirely different planets:
-Good day Sir.
-Ax shaft!
Afair i originates from a tale of the Grimm brothers.

Well, got my Sigma ROX 9 today, and Heurika! a pair of Assos S5 bibshorts! :=)
Looking forward to try them both out this beautifull weekend of may.

Kind Regards

Niels

NL-S
05-24-2010, 01:28 PM
Greetings all.

Well got an answer for my/our problem from Garmin Europe with some interesting suggestions that might come handy. Allthough it didnt help me I will make a full quote beneath.
But it made me play around a bit and it seems I found a solution!! Se new post below please.

Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe.

We are not aware of any batch problem with the 705, unfortunately if the
device isn't recognised by the computer then it will need to be
replaced.

There are a few things to try before getting it replaced, one is a soft
reset which is to press and hold mode + lap for 1 second while connected
to a computer, another is to disconnect from the computer and try a
master reset - press mode + power, select yes tot he prompt then enter
the requested information on the screen. A final step is to check of the
drive is mapped correctly -

To map the drive:
1. Click Start.
2. Mouse over Settings, then click Control Panel.
3. Double-click Administrative Tools.
4. In the Administrative Tools window double-click Computer Management.
5. In the Computer Management window, double-click Storage, then Disk
Management.
6. Click to highlight the Garmin removable disk drive (either the
internal memory or the SD Card drive).
7. Right-click and select Change Drive Letter and Path.
8. Click Edit, select a drive letter from the drop-down list, then click
OK.
Some good suggestions from Garmin - thanks Jamie!

Kind Regards

Niels

NL-S
05-24-2010, 02:05 PM
Greetings all.

Problem solved :D

So to sum up here on page 5 of this thread: what this problem is about is no recognition of the Edge 705 device - no History, no Tracks, no connection to WebUpdater, no connection to TrainingCenter. When connectet the 705 shows the Edge/PC symbol on screen, but only thing you see when Windows MyComputer opens, is your SD Card (=Map Drive).

Jamies mail from Garmin Europe (see post above) made my try yet one more time.

- Connect 705 to PC
- Open My Computer (if it dosnt do so itself)
- Identify your Garmin Edge drives - there are 2! if you have the SD map card also.
- If in doubt witch is witch, open the Safely Remove Hardware icon on your bottom right Windows desktop - it will show your Edge device (internal memory) as "Garmin Edge 705 Flash USB Device", and the SD card as Garmin Edge 705 SD Card USB Device"
- Find the relevant drive mentioned after Garmin Edge 705 Flash USB Device, in my case H: in Windows MyComputer
- Right click on the drive
- Choose Format (OBS: be darn sure its your 705 internal memory you format, and NOT you SD Card! - if in doubt pull the SD Card out of the device before you start anything)
- Press Start.

Thats it. Everything showed up again when I connectet the 705 one more time - inclusive a dummy History file. And Both WebUpdater and TrainingCenter recognizes the device. Incredible....

I really would appreciate if some of you good folks could go through the routine and confirm its vality here.

Kind Regards

Niels

JALPARKER
05-24-2010, 05:32 PM
Well, I received my refurbished unit. It does connect with my computers now. It has a lower serial number than the unit I purchased in March. It appears to have only 500 MB vs. 1 GB of storage on the previous unit. Is this correct, do the older units have less memory? I also had to request a new unlock code for the maps. I assume they will send that to me in a day or two. I'm not incredibly happy, but I guess I'll live with it.

6THELEMENT
05-24-2010, 06:27 PM
Older units have the 500MB of storage, hasn't caused me any issues in 2 years of ownership though.

JALPARKER
05-25-2010, 04:51 AM
It would be interesting to know if the communication problem primarily occurs on the newer units with the larger flash drive. It is definitely related to the drive.

I am not incredibly happy because I bought my Edge 2 months ago for $499. I now have an older refurbished unit that I could have purchased for about $350. However, at least Garmin did replace my unit very quickly, and maybe the problem lies with the newer models. Time will tell.

RACINGHEART
05-25-2010, 11:05 AM
It would be interesting to know if the communication problem primarily occurs on the newer units with the larger flash drive. It is definitely related to the drive.

I am not incredibly happy because I bought my Edge 2 months ago for $499. I now have an older refurbished unit that I could have purchased for about $350. However, at least Garmin did replace my unit very quickly, and maybe the problem lies with the newer models. Time will tell.
Well, mine is a 1 GB model but it's about a year old, so if it were a hardware problem, it might be more of a production batch sort of thing.

But part of me has to wonder what percentage of users disconnect their 705 from their computer by simply pulling the USB cable from the computer when they're done rather than the proper removal procedure? The 705 should be treated as if it's another USB drive, and as such should be either ejected (or dragged to the Trash) on the Mac; or on the PC, only after choosing Safely Remove Hardware first. Just a reminder.

JEMINAR
05-25-2010, 10:36 PM
I had the same issues being described above and fixed it myself.

Key symptoms
A: Garmin connect would not import/export from device
B: The firmware upgrade (higher in thread) said "I can see a device, but it's not one I can use"
C: Soft and hard resets changed nothing
D: In Windows XP, two drives were visible, but the main system drive was apparently unreadable. (The SD cards was readable)

How I fixed it
1. I used WinXP to do a quick format on the system drive
2. I pasted a prior backup of the system files back onto this newly formatted drive

------
Ok -- it was a desperate stab, but I was 60 minutes for taking the kids on a cycle-camping weekend away and was not going to take hours on the phone to a customer service agent who then simply tells me to send it away.

It makes sense to me that if a file system is corrupted, no matter what else you try, it ain't gonna fix it.

Of course, the trick is to have a back up of the file system handy, which if you're on this thread may already be too late. I've put together a ZIP of the filesystem I used (which worked for me).

Warning: I do not know how much of this filesystem is device dependent. You may want to check out the XML files and insert your own device ID, for example. I'm not responsible if this makes the problem worse by (for example) trashing any Garmin warranty. There's also an ominous looking checksum file that I have not idea how to manipulate. This worked for me, buy my filesystem might only work on others' devices if this checksum is fixed. I don't know. Back up anything/everything you can before trying this.

Here's a link to my filesystem. Please remove any user data you might find. I took this snapshot a few days after I bought the device.

https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0B0NJCCjA0SkiNGIzMmFkZjItZTI2My00YTlkLThiNDk tZDVjZmZhNDMwYzRm&export=download&hl=en

Please comment for others whether this worked... I'd be interested to know too.

And for them for whom their 705 works, why not go grab a copy of your file system and stick it in backup somewhere now!

JONXMACK
05-26-2010, 02:16 AM
Hoped that would solve my problems as seen in https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=8828 but sadly it didn't.

If anyone could shed some light on my situation it would be much appreciated.

GOLDCOASTER13
05-26-2010, 03:40 AM
Greetings all.

So to sum up here on page 5 of this thread: what this problem is about is no recognition of the Edge 705 device - no History, no Tracks, no connection to WebUpdater, no connection to TrainingCenter. When connectet the 705 shows the Edge/PC symbol on screen, but only thing you see when Windows MyComputer opens, is your SD Card (=Map Drive).

- Connect 705 to PC
- Identify your Garmin Edge drives - there are 2! if you have the SD map card also.
- If in doubt witch is witch, open the Safely Remove Hardware icon on your bottom right Windows desktop - it will show your Edge device (internal memory) as "Garmin Edge 705 Flash USB Device", and the SD card as Garmin Edge 705 SD Card USB Device"
- Find the relevant drive mentioned after Garmin Edge 705 Flash USB Device, in my case H: in Windows MyComputer
- Choose Format (OBS: be darn sure its your 705 internal memory you format, and NOT you SD Card! - if in doubt pull the SD Card out of the device before you start anything)
- Press Start.

Thats it. Everything showed up again when I connectet the 705 one more time - inclusive a dummy History file. And Both WebUpdater and TrainingCenter recognizes the device. Incredible....

I really would appreciate if some of you good folks could go through the routine and confirm its vality here.

Kind Regards

Niels
Sorry to burst your bubble but I tried re-formatting as you have done on my unit and it made no difference. I sent it back to retailer (Wiggle) and promptly recieved a new one, I ordered this one from a different 'package' (heart rate monitor only, previous one came as 'bike road kit') new one has older serial No. and 500Mb storage. - Working Ok for now, hoping older model will have no problems !
Have copied and stored some of these suggestions, and file system on unit, just in case!!

JONXMACK
05-26-2010, 05:53 AM
I've got a backup of my data, I've just emailed CRC to see if they'll replace it under warranty.

Such a PITA that it's happened today, my 4 day 470 mile charity ride starts tomorrow, and I'm not gonna be able to import any of my ride data. So frustrating!

NL-S
05-26-2010, 11:00 AM
jonxmack
I feel your pain ugh!
You might try one last maneuver (its sheer mumbo-jumbo I know): Just before I got my device memory/disk to work again through formatting ect, I had done the maneuver as described by Jamie from Garmin Europe:
To map the drive:
1. Click Start.
2. Mouse over Settings, then click Control Panel.
3. Double-click Administrative Tools.
4. In the Administrative Tools window double-click Computer Management.
5. In the Computer Management window, double-click Storage, then Disk
Management.
6. Click to highlight the Garmin removable disk drive (either the
internal memory or the SD Card drive).
7. Right-click and select Change Drive Letter and Path.
8. Click Edit, select a drive letter from the drop-down list, then click
OK.
Just to do something I changed my SD card drive letter (to A: in my case, as this was vacant). After checking that the Flash Memory (witch was on the same old drive letter) was still not readable, I then did the Format routine (the one you have allready tried). And had succes of course.

I have no high hopes that just changing the SD drive letter, and then formatting the Flash drive should pull you through, when formatting alone dosnt. But in desperate times...

Kind Regards

Niels

SCHULLEL
06-10-2010, 03:57 AM
Just a quick word to say NL - S's instructions for remapping the drive worked for me BUT this was probably because I'm on a networked pc with a lot of drives automatically mapped already. It looks like the garmin default drive letter should be H and in this case it was already being used. It seems to have tried to use I: but needed to be manually mapped (re NL-s intruction) to show the gamin's memory. Looking at some of the earlier posts this may not be the source of some of the problems people are experiencing on their home PC's but probably worth a try before sending the unit back to Gamin....

Thanks all seems to be fine for me now.

LS

GDEGEA
07-30-2010, 10:19 AM
Hi all,

I faced the same problem last night, and I called garmin france this morning ; they were kind enough to let me go to their premises and provide me with a refurb unit which works.

Garmin says that 2% of the 705 face the problem ;

I also got a 500Mb unit back, although garmin is telling me that they are all the same...

Weird.

SLAURIJSSE
01-31-2011, 01:17 PM
I found a way to restore completely from scratch.
Today i did a dd if=/dev/null of=/dev/rdisk*
After that i formated newfs_msdos -F 32 /dev/rdisk*
Rebooted the edge and whole system was working again.

This came up to me by checking the Garmin Edge 800 mount.
When the new Garmin Edge 800 was connected to my mac within /dev only the rdisk3 entry was made not the partition rdisk3s1

By format the Edge 705 /dev/rdisk3 entry the logicall rdisk3s1 partition was removed. All was back to normall!

SLAURIJSSE
01-31-2011, 01:25 PM

When the new Garmin Edge 800 was connected to my mac within /dev only the rdisk3 entry was made not the partition rdisk3s1

By format the Edge 705 /dev/rdisk3 entry the logicall rdisk3s1 partition was removed. All was back to normall!

MARTWLMS
02-13-2011, 06:18 PM
Can you explain this process ... for a non-techie. Have tried everything else!

Thanks, Marty.

JMEL777
02-14-2011, 12:17 PM
Evidently there is a factory issue on the 705 with the USB female receptacle in the unit or the circuitry / circuit board connected to it. Many of us seem to have defective units that cease to communicate and they want to charge us for repair. They should have stood up, taken the hit and extended the warranty.

Not only do we get refurbs back after paying somewhere near 100 for repair... no long term guarantee it will not happen again.

Had my wife's 205 in for repair, was lost for almost 6 months.

SAUROSELLERI
05-22-2011, 06:55 AM
I was quite scared when I saw that my PC could not see any longer the device activities and could not synchronise...
Anyway after having read this long post with many hints, tricks and suggestions, and having spent more than 3 hours :confused: I finally found the solution (at least for my device):

FACTS
1. after connecting the EDGE to the PC it could not be seen, neither the drives nor the device
2. no activities could be uploaded to the PC because no device was found
3. device itself did not show neither flash memory with maps/routes nor SD card content

as you can imagine I was a little bit shocked but I did not give up (if this is your attitude, get rid immediately of Garmin devices :cool:)

SOLUTION
1. connect your cable to the device with the small USB but don't connect it with your PC yet
2. push the device' joystick UP and (holding it on) plug the standard USB to the PC
3. you will see the drives appearing to your "My computer". Now there is a connection between your PC and the drives (device is not recognised, PC sees it as a standard memory)
4. format (I did not use the quick format but the classicone that take almost 1 hour time) the device flash memory, but not the SD Card
5. after that, the PC recognised the device, however I had to reinstall the map from MapSource.. all the saved routes were lost but at least I had my device back (compared to the hundreds of claims I saw where most of devices had to be sent back w/ or w/o warranty, a self made troubleshooting is a luxury :D)

I wish you all a good luck
Sauro

ALIGNEL
06-04-2011, 06:09 AM

I'have big problem with my Edge 705 after format internal flash.

Thanks SLAURIJSSE,
All are good for me with your process.

ELIVAGNER
06-24-2011, 01:11 PM
I'm facing the the same problem - tried with 2 different PC, master reset the device several times, used the factory cable but no success.
After a number of e-mails back and forth to Garmin Tech Support, the last instructions received was:

Press and hold the thumb stick straight up in a twelve o'clock position. Please continue holding this until instructed otherwise. (I would recommend holding the power button with your off hand IE a right handed person should hold it with their left )
[INDENT]Plug the USB cable into the back of the Edge 705 and the computer

Continue holding the thumb stick in this position for approximately 60 seconds or until your device is recognized by the computer.

Isn't works! My device cannot detected when plugged into a computer.

GERRYCAN
06-24-2011, 01:13 PM
Does your 705 have and SD card in it?

If so, try connecting with the SD card removed.

That has solved similar problem before. Worth a try.

TMT1630
07-31-2011, 03:31 PM
Greetings all.

- Connect 705 to PC
- Press Start.

Kind Regards

Niels

Well, I had to hold MODE and hold the joystick UP on my Edge 705 while plugging in the USB cable (and keeping them in that position the entire time). The drive showed up on my computer, but when accessed via Windows Explorer, it said that it "...wasn't formatted...would you like to do so now?". So, formatting the drive as Niels did above in his quote, brought everything back to life. Now the unit recognizes the unit when connected to the computer. Hope that helps....lost some blood, sweat and tears on this one!

Tom

MARCOSLINBERG
08-01-2011, 02:04 PM
Hey guys,

I just fixed my Garmin 705, I couldn't format the unit on any windows, I tried many computers and windows versions. Then I donwloaded the latest Ubuntu version and made a bootable USB drive. (I chose Ubuntu because it's pretty easy to use)

I booted into Linux, I pluged in my 705 forcing the storage mode, I removed the SD card just in case, and opened the disk manager program, it recognized the Garmin 705 two "disks", the SD reader and the internal Flash memory, it showed 1GB of internal mem, I clicked on it and told it to format it as FAT. Done! Ejected the thing, turned it on and then off, plugged it back in the computer without having to force any mode. It recognized the 1GB internal mem again, the unit is working like a charm.

I hope it helps you guys out.
Cheers!

MAGISTEREK
12-20-2011, 04:51 PM
Hi Kurt vel CKAOS! I have to say: I love You man!. Your's bootblock saved my live!. And my Garmnin (Vista Etrex HCx USB connection to PS as well. I have spend 3 days to find it. Thank's!
For you and others: other secrets about GPS's : http://www.gpsinformation.org/dale/secret.htm
Bye, Kuba, Warsaw, Poland

CJKEHOE
02-26-2012, 04:13 PM
How much data do you lose if you reformat the drive. I have a city navigator map, as well as a couple of days riding which i would like to keep.

MARCIORSSILVA
05-01-2012, 12:46 AM
Good morning, I have a Garmin Edge 705 since yesterday which presents the following problem:

1 - When I connect the device to PC via USB it not enter in "Mass Storage" mode but it turns on. Prior to this problem, when the device was turned on and I connected via USB to the Pc he hung up and enter alone in the "Mass Storage" mode, now it stays on charging mode. Now when i record a route, the device does not save the history of it, just creates a folder "lap" then when connect the to the "Garmin connect" is not find any history on the device.

Will could tell me how can I solve this problem?

Thank you,