PDA

View Full Version : Forerunner 405 - Dead!

H.BOR
08-04-2009, 02:55 PM
Hi everyone,

I've had my 405 for about a month now and just uploaded a course for the first time, using GPSies. Five minutes after upload the watch shuts down. It won't re-charge (23% before crash) and holding down either buttons or both at the same time for 5-6 secs results in nothing.

What do I do now?

H.BOR
08-04-2009, 03:17 PM
Got it working using a HARD reset

To perform a Master Reset on the Forerunner 405:

1. 1) Press and Hold down BOTH the Start/Stop and Lap/Reset Buttons (these are the two silver buttons on the right hand side)
2. 2) Keep these two buttons pressed in for 6 seconds and the screen will go blank
3. 3) Release the Start/Stop button (the top one) and continue to hold the Lap/Reset button for 3 additional seconds, then Release it
4. 4) Select ?YES? (Enter Button) to the prompt asking to clear user data
5. 5) This will erase ALL data and then guide you through all of the introductory menus once again

Be sure to not touch the Bezel when performing the reset- this may make it difficult to complete the Reset. I recommend placing your unoccupied fingers on the wrist strap.

The tracks from GPSies seems buggy. Anyone with experience?

ANYJAY
09-08-2009, 10:28 PM
I have had my watch for 4 days- it's brand new.
I pressed the enter and quit button simultaneously for 7 seconds ( as per the manual). The screen went blank and has stayed blank. I can't turn my watch back on. I have then tried to hold the lap/reset button ( quit button) for 3 seconds with no result.

KANSAIBEN
09-08-2009, 11:22 PM
I pressed the enter and quit button simultaneously for 7 seconds ( as per the manual). The screen went blank and has stayed blank. I can't turn my watch back on. I have then tried to hold the lap/reset button ( quit button) for 3 seconds with no result.

What happens when you put the unit on the charging clip?

H.BOR
09-09-2009, 12:43 AM
Try looking at my steps again, seems you're forgetting to hold the lap button after holding both buttons.

JYEWMD
04-09-2010, 02:09 PM
My 405CX is dead. It was on the charge clip overnight. This morning, it was working, but I just noticed now that the screen is dead. I tried the Master Reset above. I use my 405CX as a watch, and for runs later. I have a 10K tomorrow! HELP!!!

KANSAIBEN
04-09-2010, 05:07 PM
My 405CX is dead. It was on the charge clip overnight. This morning, it was working, but I just noticed now that the screen is dead. I tried the Master Reset above. I use my 405CX as a watch, and for runs later. I have a 10K tomorrow! HELP!!!

Have you tried connecting to the charging clip? Does the unit not respond to the clip at all? Here are two variations of the master reset--perhaps one may work better for you:

Prompted (you'll be asked to confirm the reset):
Hold both mechanical buttons down until the screen goes blank. Let up on the ENTER button but keep the QUIT button depressed. You should see the prompt at that time.

Non-prompted (your unit will just be reset to factory specs):
Reset the unit (hold both buttons until the screen blanks) then briefly release the buttons and press them both back down again.
Wait for the unit to tone
Release the START/STOP button and wait for a second tone.
Once you hear the second tone, releasing the bottom button will clear the user data and restart the watch.

The second one can be a bit tricky to perform.

OKRISTI2
04-19-2010, 12:15 PM
I got freeze screen - then it went black after first attempt of hard reset.

I have now tried both hard-resets. I get a thin line in screen - and hear the tones - but the screen continue black. It wont react to the charging clip either. Any tips?

I've been using it for 4 runs and it happened now after taking it of the cycle (for the first bike tour). I had no problem using it during cycling - and stopped it/reset the timer.

----------------

Just got answer from Service - have to return it - I've done everything possible....

KIKOKU49
10-12-2010, 11:06 PM
I just got a brand new Forerunner 405. I'm getting a thin black line in the screen once the 405 goes to energy save mode, is brand new, what is happening to the device??

BBECKER39
10-13-2010, 08:20 AM
I just got a brand new Forerunner 405. I'm getting a thin black line in the screen once the 405 goes to energy save mode, is brand new, what is happening to the device??

It sounds like your power save software might be corrupted or missing. You can try updating from the web (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/downloadsAgree.jsp?product=010-00658-10&cID=142&pID=11039) to restore it.

If your are not able to correct this issue by updating software, you should contact Garmin Support (http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us/support/supportcontact).

SIEVEHEAD
10-31-2010, 08:33 AM
just followed your invaluble advice to get my 405 working again a million thanks

BARKYPUP
11-06-2010, 05:40 PM
I had my 405 for 14 months only and it is completely unresponsive. You cannot update any firmware or do a master reset when the only thing that comes on the screen is a small black line if you hold the buttons down for about 10 secs. For the money I spent, being told to send it in for repair and wait weeks is unreasonable as I use this almost daily and have a marathon in a few weeks. I am a personal running coach and I have supported Garmin products, even holding training sessions on their advanced functions. Now I really question if I should be training and endorsing on another product as I honestly have had nothing but problems with my 405 since I got it!
Does somebody have a alternative to repair this or do I have to buy a new unit as I said before waiting weeks won't work.:confused::mad:

MARC1230
11-10-2010, 11:23 AM
I have had nothing but trouble with my Garmin 405 since I bought it
initially Mac connectivity software was not available. months later , I think about 9 months - it was release.
more importantly, initially the battery life was pathetic, months later a firmware update fixed this.
practically, the touch sensitive bezel was non-functional in high humidity - try running in the summer in Chicago without humidity - this problem has been a constant and my queries to tech support were answered by "newer firmware solves this" or "we've never seen this"
Finally my watch has frozen periodically, usually when I take it off the charger , sometimes later - any I have successfully used the reset procedure to bring it back to life.
the latest insult was last night, when the watch started beeping while on the charger, a plaintive call, a squeal and then a couple beeps, then I removed the charger clip and went to sleep. when I checked the watch today - dead to the world, nothing visible on the screen, reset doesn't work, charging does nothing.
It's very hard for me to recommend Garmin with my experience. Very disappointing, it's a $350 watch and is dead after about 2 years

MARC1230
11-10-2010, 05:07 PM
cleaned/scraped the 2 charging contacts on the watch - corroded or obscured by salt
the watch can back to life when I reattached the charged

TBRADNC
11-21-2010, 08:12 PM
Garmin fitness watches are essentially disposable. I personally think they should be advertised as such.

If you've gotten 14 months out of yours you've gotten 2 more months than I've ever been able to get out of one.

Throw it away and buy a new one. At one a year it's still a lot cheaper than running shoes.

I had my 405 for 14 months only and it is completely unresponsive. You cannot update any firmware or do a master reset when the only thing that comes on the screen is a small black line if you hold the buttons down for about 10 secs. For the money I spent, being told to send it in for repair and wait weeks is unreasonable as I use this almost daily and have a marathon in a few weeks. I am a personal running coach and I have supported Garmin products, even holding training sessions on their advanced functions. Now I really question if I should be training and endorsing on another product as I honestly have had nothing but problems with my 405 since I got it!
Does somebody have a alternative to repair this or do I have to buy a new unit as I said before waiting weeks won't work.:confused::mad:

RAFITO_
11-26-2011, 03:30 PM
I have exactly the same problem, how did you fixed?

I have now tried both hard-resets. I get a thin line in screen - and hear the tones - but the screen continue black. It wont react to the charging clip either. Any tips?

I've been using it for 4 runs and it happened now after taking it of the cycle (for the first bike tour). I had no problem using it during cycling - and stopped it/reset the timer.

----------------

Just got answer from Service - have to return it - I've done everything possible....

PATTYBON
12-03-2011, 04:06 PM
Have you tried connecting to the charging clip? Does the unit not respond to the clip at all? Here are two variations of the master reset--perhaps one may work better for you:

Hold both mechanical buttons down until the screen goes blank. Let up on the ENTER button but keep the QUIT button depressed. You should see the prompt at that time.

Reset the unit (hold both buttons until the screen blanks) then briefly release the buttons and press them both back down again.
Once you hear the second tone, releasing the bottom button will clear the user data and restart the watch.

My Forerunner 405 went dead after warning me about having to clear data from device. Didn't get time to do it and it suddenly went black. Doesn't react to charging clip or to any kind of reset mentioned in this post. Can you help please??

And another question if I succeed in bringing it back to life: how often is it advisable to clear data from device and what's the procedure?

Many thanks in advance!!

PATTYBON
12-04-2011, 04:51 AM
Thanks, the problem was the spring in the clip was broken and didn't do proper contact so it had ran out of battery.

But how do you clear data from device??

ADAMJOWITT
12-05-2011, 03:03 PM
To delete activities go to Menu > History > Delete. You will get the option to delete All Activities or Old Activities. The Old Activities option deletes any activities that are more than a month old, but keeps the newer ones, obviously the All Activities deletes them all.

SEOVE1
12-07-2011, 08:45 AM

----------------

I've had mine for several years and I've had to do the hard reset in the past but last night it went dead and I have been trying to get it going but will follow the second part of the reset steps in a few hours. I've been holding the two buttons while it's charging and have been getting a thin line only.

DAVID.MAKEPEACE
03-03-2012, 06:04 PM
Suffering exactly the same issue: overnight charge (as always); awoke to find watch apparently acting normal except bezel locked; couldn't unlock bezel; tried soft, then hard reset... now no activity at all apart from the horizontal line and reset beep. Watch is 3 months old and the contacts are clean.

I've also already suffered from the GPS problem reported elsewhere where the watch just went into a loop looking for satellites. This one seemed to right itself by magic when I moved the watch a couple of hundred miles away (to Sydney) and back again (to Canberra). Tech support's response on that case was predictable: to send it in for "repair". I'm glad I didn't.

I have reported the new issue to tech support and will wait for their response but as with others I am dissatisfied with the approach they take which is "post it to us". I am training for London and cannot afford the downtime of sending the unit in for someone to check...especially since the problems seem to be erratic, unpredictable and have yet to be solved by any software release or explained (or even honestly accepted) by Garmin.

The real problem, Garmin, is not the technical fault, it's the lack of faith that you are engendering by failing to **explain** the technical faults. I am posting this in case someone can point me at a statement from Garmin that I may have missed or, failling that, as a request to Garmin for more transparency on the 405.

This is simply a bad product and I want to know if you're going to actually own up to and address the problem(s) or just hand it off to customer support and focus your energies on the next line and new customers. If the latter, I am going to jump ship and tell all my friends to jump ship too.

I have simply lost confidence in Garmin as a result of this one experience.

:mad:

MATTDROL
04-18-2012, 06:23 PM
The satellite on my watch is on. when I go to use it, it keeps searching and searching. I am not near tall buildings and the weather is clear what can I do to fix it.. I cant tell my pace or distance if I dont have the satellites connecting. please help soon... matt:(

TVLYONS
05-05-2012, 05:16 PM

I have a new 405 and cannot make it work. After the reset the only thing that happens is the dark line in the screen. I've tried de MASTER RESET but after releasing the START/STOP the second tone does't appears.

Any suggestion?

GMONEY484
05-12-2012, 07:12 PM
See the thread above about downgrading the firmware to 2.2

KO_HON_FUNG@YAHOO.COM
05-24-2012, 11:38 AM
same here upgraded to 2.8 then saw that the word "load" to that sort then after leaving it for 5 mins it is now dead.... tried both button press and saw a line then once I remove the start/stop the screen went blank again.... what's worse is that I haven't had the chance to use the GPS and this has been with me for one month......

TOBSTA
04-21-2013, 07:20 PM
Mine went dead today, tried both resets and I get the two tones but screen stay blank. Will not respond to the charger either. First problem I have had in 2 plus years, I like the wath but this stinks.

MARGOTTKA
05-11-2013, 01:04 PM
Mine went dead today, tried both resets and I get the two tones but screen stay blank. Will not respond to the charger either. First problem I have had in 2 plus years, I like the wath but this stinks.

I have had mine for over a year. went dead and when resetting only a black line appeared. I wasnt willing to pay $110 for Garmin service as it seems to be a problem that many people have and I would expect Garmin to react to it rather than charging for a battery replacement.

There is a seller on eBay who offers repair service (battery replacement). it costs $35 and my Garmin is like new again!

I like my Garmin watch but will not buy a Garmin product ever again

JUSSIKUJANSUU
08-31-2013, 10:17 AM
I've had mine for about 3 months now. During that time, I've had the watch blank out on me three times. The symptoms have been various from booting then instantly resetting to being completely inresponsive to todays black line across the bottom.

I've found that in all of the instances the source of the problem is the same; the watch thinks it is charged when it is in fact at 0% charge. Because it thinks it is full, it will not charge either.

The way I got it going this time was that I found that while connected to the charger, I was able to access *some* functions. After switching the backlight on and disconnecting the charger, when I re-connected the charger the charge indicator suddenly showed 0% and the device started charging normally and powered up just fine.

So do what you can to change the charging status or burn some charge off (i.e. if you can switch the backlight on), so that the watch realizes that it is in fact in dire need of juice instead of fully charged.

TRIPPELZ
09-13-2013, 05:56 AM
My forerunner i COMPLETELY dead. No response to ANYTHING i do. the screen wont respons på anything i do and it does not respond to the charger at all. Have tried changing the charger with no luck.

MIKEMSHEAHAN@GMAIL.COM
03-08-2014, 10:00 AM
I have had the same problem and fixed it by doing the hard reset. I could still not see anything on the screen. I had to wait for the battery to die. when it was totally dead, i was able to recharge it normally. at this point it was totally reset to factory conditions.

LUKALOBE
03-09-2014, 08:17 AM
Same problem here. My Forerunner 405cx was fine yesterday - charging over night. Got 100% charged in the morning and as soon as I disconnected it from the charger it went dead. No response to reset. The only thing is a thin black horizontal line over the screen (each time I tried it was in a different position) when I press the two buttons for over 6 seconds. No reaction as I unpress the top button and keep the lower button pressed. No sound Nothing. The watch is just about 12 months old. It is already the third Garmin product I'm having problems with in last 4 years, after Garmin Forerunner 50 and Garmin Nuvi 250. I liked it but I realy don't think I am prepared to pay 400+ euros for the newer version. I'm affraid I won't be buying another Garmin product ever again.

CARL.BORG@PROBORG.SE
03-12-2014, 02:49 AM
Had the same problem - watch was showing 100 charged when charging but when disconnected it was dead as can be. No reset was working (hard/soft/master reset) before i connected it to the computer. I saw it displayed "100% charged", and then i did a soft reset: press start/stop + lap/reset at the same time for 10 sec. The screen will go to lines and then blank and when you release it, it will jump back up with showing the time (normal wake up screen). All good and it took me 2 min (after spending a lot of time trying to master reset it without results!)

Watch is normal again !