PDA

View Full Version : Forerunner 305 or Edge 305?

Salsamuffin204
12-27-2009, 09:25 PM
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and would appreciate some advice.

I am primarily a cyclist although I do a fair amount of running too, especially in the winter. I am looking to get a Garmin Edge or Forerunner 305.

I am mostly interested in route logging, heart rate data, elevation, and of course distance/speed/time functions.

The Forerunner is substantially cheaper in my part of the world, so I'm swaying towards getting that.

Can someone please tell me what benefits the Edge has over the forerunner?

Thanks in advance!

philipshambrook
12-27-2009, 11:37 PM
if you are running and cycling it's Forerunner. If it's cycling only, it's the Edge by default, or the Forerunner. If you are really concerned about elevation, the Edge has a barometric altimeter whereas the FR calculates elevation from GPS data

Salsamuffin204
12-28-2009, 07:07 PM
if you are running and cycling it's Forerunner. If it's cycling only, it's the Edge by default, or the Forerunner. If you are really concerned about elevation, the Edge has a barometric altimeter whereas the FR calculates elevation from GPS data

Thanks for the reply. I'm curious about what is different between the edgre and the forerunner and why the edge has a much higher price tag?

philipshambrook
12-28-2009, 08:32 PM
Can't comment on the pricing, but the Forerunner is aimed at the multisport market, whereas the Edge is only for cycling.

SAEEDI
12-28-2009, 09:36 PM
The Edge also has a barometric altimeter.