View Full Version : Auto Lap on a 310xt

08-03-2009, 03:14 PM
I'm confused about the right "Auto Lap" setting to use for a bike ride. This is what I want to do....I want to ride a circular route of my local country park. I want to each time I ride compare the times it takes for me to complete one lap (i.e. one circular route). I assume the simplest thing is to just start and stop the timer, but I think the Auto Lap will do what I want but not sure which is the right option. Today I setup Auto Lap By Position and Lap Press Only. I hit start and went on the bike ride. After returning to the starting position, the 310xt recorded a lap automatically (using the GPS) - and since I probably cycled a few metres passed the starting point, it also recorded a 2nd lap of about 3metres.

My question is - looking at the manual, when would I used Start and Lap and Mark and Lap? Would these be better options for me (and is there anyway of removing the 2nd tiny lap?)

08-04-2009, 03:46 PM
Are you trying to compare a single lap (on several different occasions) or multiple laps?

08-04-2009, 11:45 PM
A single lap on several different occasions.

08-05-2009, 01:56 PM
It sounds like simply creating a "course" for your activity is actually the most useful option and that if the points you'd mark are only the start and end of the loop using laps is an unecessary addition.

That said, if you did want to use the lap feature, when creating your original course if you marked various lap points along the way and then, for the single loop course, opted to use the autolap by position AND lap press only your unit would create laps automatically at the same point on subsequent uses of that course (other options not really useful in this particular situation).

08-07-2009, 02:31 AM
Thank you....I'll give that a go.