PDA

View Full Version : 310XT Upload data issue

ELKJAERJ
08-03-2009, 07:55 AM
Hi Garmin,

i have just used 310xt for the first time at my 7. IRONMAN - and what a pleasure, GREAT tool!

I used the Automatic Multisport function and that worked great during the race. But now i am having issues uploading data to connect and traning center? I keep getting and error from Ant when it is about 40% thru the data precess and Connect just plain fails!?!

I have both the 405 and 705 and they work great in any situation and have always done so - any thoughts?

I am running the latest Ant version 2.2.5

J/

JJJHAWK88
08-10-2009, 05:12 AM
ELKJAERJ-

Congratulations on completing your Ironman event!

I do think I have an idea as to what could be causing your problem regarding the data upload failure. I think there my be a data corruption issue that the ANT AGENT, when trying to upload the data from your watch, fails because it cannot process the information.

To be certain of this though can you please tell me if you are on a MAC or PC?

Thanks,
jjjhawk88

ELKJAERJ
08-10-2009, 10:31 AM
Thx :-) it was a great event! I am on a PC btw.

JJJHAWK88
08-10-2009, 11:40 AM
Great...take a look in the following location on your PC:

C: > Documents and Settings > PC USERNAME > Application Data > Garmin > Devices > Unit S/N Folder

Do you have a file in there that reads BADFIT?

If you have this folder and possibly inside a file that has the date of the workout that continues to fail then this means it has become corrupt. If this is the case we can discuss recovering this data for you.

jjjhawk88

EDOVONK
08-11-2009, 02:26 PM

C: > Documents and Settings > PC USERNAME > Application Data > Garmin > Devices > Unit S/N Folder

If you have this folder and possibly inside a file that has the date of the workout that continues to fail then this means it has become corrupt. If this is the case we can discuss recovering this data for you.

jjjhawk88

I'm on a mac, and cannot upload anymore since version 2.1.2. I have definitely a badfit folder in my device folder. Could this be the problem? How do I solve it?

JJJHAWK88
08-12-2009, 05:51 AM
I am sorry I thought I had read in a previous post you were on a PC. Nevertheless, if you do have a BADFIT folder in your device folder then this does indicate the file you are attempting to pull from the device (i.e. original workout in question) has become corrupted.

I presume you are running device software version 2.20 since this issue was most prevelant there. However, the most current version 2.40 is also showing the ability to develop corrupted workout files. We thought we had the issue corrected when 2.40 was released but we soon realized it was not. We are working quickly to resolve this in 2.40 now and hope to have something available much sooner than later.

The only work around for this is to manually delete all history from your device. This is frustrating I am sure especially since we are talking about deleting an Ironman event you worked so hard for. There are other ways we can try to pull the data from the watch but it would require for us to have the device in our possession.

If you would like we can carry this discussion off-line and determine the best way to resolve the issue for you personally. If you wish to do this please email me at techsupp@garmin.com, Attn: jjjhawk88. Once you have done so let me know and I'll look for the email.

Thanks again and sorry to deliver a little bad news but I am confident we will take care of you no matter what.

jjjhawk88

KPAC062
08-13-2009, 04:55 PM

jjjhawk88
I have the same problem with a ride I did two days ago, the activity does not upload to GTC or GC. I have a file in the BadFITFiles that appears to be related to that activity. I was just on the phone to support but they didn't mention this directory. You mentioned something about recovering the data. What do I need to do to recover this activity?

Forerunner 310XT - software version 2.40; Windows Vista

Thanks,
Ken

Rod_K
08-13-2009, 10:53 PM
I had the same problem as others posting in this thread. My 310xt was transferring OK for a couple weeks, and then stopped transferring. It would connect and the watch said it was transferring data, for about 1/2 second, then it would stop and ANT agent said the last transfer (on the date I first experienced the problem) had failed. Kept trying for many days while waiting for a response from Garmin. Still nothing.

I upgraded to ANT agent 2.2.7, and tried many things, including deleting all the history, to no avail. Another post said to check for a file/folder called BADFIT, but I did not have a file or folder by that name.

Finally, did the hard reset by pressing Mode while powering on, and that seems to have fixed the problem, for now...

It is a real pain to lose 10 days worth of training, so I hope I don't lose this weekend's race data! It would also be nice to have TrainingCenter or Garmin Connect remember all of the settings so I don't have to set up all my bikes, screen customizaton, cadence and HR strap pairing, etc, etc. again.

MMATHEWS65
08-13-2009, 11:29 PM
I had exactly the same issue and spoke to Garmin Support here in Oz. Their suggestions (reinstalling ANT Agent, delete/reintall pairing) did not work. I finally did the hard reset as well. Lost 5 days worth of training :( .......... but at least it works again now. Hope I don't get the same issue again.

STEPPU
08-14-2009, 02:10 PM
have spend about 10hrs installing/reinstalling reading forums and finally a solution..... thanks

JJJHAWK88
08-14-2009, 02:24 PM
We have actually identified where the problem exists and are now working on a quick resolution.

For the most part this issue, which I will coin as "history corruption", is mainly seen in biking mode. Unfortunatley there is nothing that can be done in the field to recover these corrupted files. A master clear is really all that can be done to get the unit back in working order.

I did extend an offer opf data recovery to ELKJAERJ because I wanted to try and salvage his Ironman event.

Unfortunatley we don't have the man power to do this for all users. I know this has been frustrating for users but I appreciate your willingness to share information and work through the problem. I cannot be certain when the update will be released but I hopeful it will be much sooner than later.

jjjhawk88

THSUMM
08-17-2009, 03:57 AM
I also had this upload problem in bike mode. No data of my last 70 mi bike ride... :(

What do I have to do now to prevent future upload problems?

Thanks for your advice!

Thomas

DARINPOUNDS
08-17-2009, 09:53 AM
I continue to experience this problem and spent 1:45 on the phone with Garmin last week. They actually logged into my computer to see if they could fix the problem as well. Still experience the issue and have workouts going back to 7/26 that I can't download. Should I just perform the hard reset? If so will I continue to experience this problem? What is the timeframe to have the problem solved. I ws sownloading fine but then when I updated the software the problem started.

SEILOGRAMP
08-17-2009, 10:07 AM
I continue to experience this problem and spent 1:45 on the phone with Garmin last week

What was support's final suggestion? Hard reset? Are they getting back with you? A reset could fix this issue, but would hold off until support confirms this.

JJJHAWK88
08-17-2009, 10:12 AM
I have a little more information here for the masses. The problem many of you are seeing is most often seen in cycling mode. This issue can still occur in running and other mode but more often in cycling.

The best work around at this time is to refrain from using any lapping feature within the device. This means features such as auto-lap, advanced workouts, manual lapping or the multi-sport feature should not be used. This will reduce the opportunity for the corruption to occur and hopefully prevent many from experiencing the issue. This is not to say it couldn't still occur but it will make the device much more useable for some with little to no corruption.

Unfortunatley the only way around this, if you have corrupt history, is to first master clear your device and then make the appropriate adjustments to your user settings as described above.

I do not have a specific time frame on the release of the update but I can say we are working very hard to get this out ASAP. We do want to make sure though we are not moving so fast that the update creates more problems.

Again thank you to all of the users supplying feedback!

jjjhawk88

ELKJAERJ
08-17-2009, 10:51 AM
Did a reset (holding down mode during Power-on) reconfigured the 310 and now it works great! - Thx everyone for chipping in.

DARINPOUNDS
08-17-2009, 11:08 AM
What was support's final suggestion? Hard reset? Are they getting back with you? A reset could fix this issue, but would hold off until support confirms this.

I was told to just keep logging workouts and once they solved the problem I could just download the details to the site. However; based on the the above info it seems hopeless since I have my workouts on multisport or autolap. I guess I will just perform the hard reset and hope I can start receiving the info. It is frustrating since I supposedly upgraded but now only face difficulty.

EKUTTER
08-18-2009, 05:22 PM
Is the format of .Fit files published anywhere? I too have a file that ended up in the "BadFITFiles" folder and am thinking about writing a program to parse it and at least see if I can salvage any data. Does Garmin already have a utility that might convert it into a halfway readable text file?

Also, I have a corrupted file, but I still seem to be able record new files that download just fine, without the hard reset. Does this make any sense that just this one file would be corrupted?

EKUTTER
08-18-2009, 06:54 PM
Is just deleting my entire history sufficient to work around this or do I need to do a reset? Does a system reset also reset my page layouts?

SEILOGRAMP
08-18-2009, 07:16 PM
You can start with deleting history, but could be a problem with courses too. A hard reset will take the device back to day one factory defaults, including screen layouts.

R.MCLACHLAN
08-20-2009, 04:12 PM
I too have developed this problem and have lost a training session, which is very frustrating. I was in Running mode, and have at taken a note of the lap data so at very least I can manually add the data to my Running Software package.

Is there a definitive procedure as a workaround at the moment? Is it a full reset or a history deletion?

I will turn off autolap until a new firmware upgrade becomes available - hopefully very soon

I have the bad fit file - can anything be done to recover it or is it just gibberish?

JJJHAWK88
08-21-2009, 08:57 AM
Unfortunatley there is not a way to recover this data. We do plan on having this resolved soon. We are no longer looking for the problem we are now wrapping up the release. I expect to see it available soon.

jjjhawk88

TRIRACERX
08-28-2009, 01:39 PM
What's quickly? sorry, but just lost quite a bit of data today (need to hard reboot) and hoping the best and brightest at Garmin are on top of this.

BFULTON12
08-29-2009, 01:59 PM
I'm quite interested in the anticipated release date as I've spent over 6hrs on the phone with support and have lost 5 workouts (in the first 20 days of having the device - 3 of which were pretty key training sessions). I've reverted to my 305 (which has 1 button that no longer functions - just from years of use) for workouts I really don't want to lose until this is resolved.

IRONKEV
08-30-2009, 09:41 AM
Please help, i have read through this thread, but still cant figure out what to do. I have owned my 310 for 4 days now, and it was transferring fine, but now the ant agent keeps saying upload failed. (it was my first ride workout)

is the only way out to do the hard reset and lose my workouts?

How do i look on a mac iof i have these corrupt files?

Any advice please?

SAEEDI
08-30-2009, 10:50 AM
Your files are in

/Users/[your username]/Library/Application Support/Garmin/Devices/[your device id]/History

See if there are activities in there for your recent activities. if not look for files in

/Users/[your username]/Library/Application Support/Garmin/Devices/[your device id]/BadFITFiles

for corrupted activities.

IRONKEV
08-30-2009, 12:02 PM
Thanks for getting back to me, i dont have a history file, i go straight out of the device id to

ANTDeviceKey.bin
GarminDevice.XML
GCAuthorizationKey.bin

Also if i do a reset will i lose the stuff that is already on Garmin Connect?

SAEEDI
08-30-2009, 02:33 PM
Also if i do a reset will i lose the stuff that is already on Garmin Connect?

Activities already up on Garmin Connect won't be removed if you reset the device. Make sure also you have the latest versions of ANT Agent for the Mac (which is at 2.1.3 now).

Try resending your activities again by going into the History menu and selecting Transfer All.

IRONKEV
08-31-2009, 02:30 AM
I have a little more information here for the masses. The problem many of you are seeing is most often seen in cycling mode. This issue can still occur in running and other mode but more often in cycling.

The best work around at this time is to refrain from using any lapping feature within the device. This means features such as auto-lap, advanced workouts, manual lapping or the multi-sport feature should not be used. This will reduce the opportunity for the corruption to occur and hopefully prevent many from experiencing the issue. This is not to say it couldn't still occur but it will make the device much more useable for some with little to no corruption.

jjjhawk88

Right so i have done a reset (lost all my info) but the device is now transferring again, the reason i think that this happened is that i used it in ride mode, just picking up on what you said (above) are you saying that we should refrain from using auto-lap, advanced workouts, manual lapping or the multi-sport feature altogether or just not to use it in ride mode.

Seems a real shame to have splashed out so much money on a watch with features that i cant use, i have a triathlon in 6 days and need the multisport feature.

Any advice?

JJJHAWK88
08-31-2009, 07:18 AM
The much anticipated 2.60 update has been released this morning. The changes made from version 2.40 are:

Fixed File Corruption that was causing transfer failures w/ Garmin Ant Agent
Added a Memory Details feature to the History Menu
Recovery HR message will now only show when it is supposed to
ANT+ power data improvements
Added safeguards to correct issues where a unit would not power on
Improved execution of courses

Another important note regarding this update; Loading 2.60 will clear all user data from the 310XT.

The update can be acquired from the following location:
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/downloadsAgree.jsp?product=010-00741-00&cID=142&pID=27335

If you do not see the update available when accessing the link above please continue to check back during the day.

Thank you everyone for you patience!

-jjjhawk88

ALEXMBELL
08-31-2009, 09:44 AM
The much anticipated 2.60 update has been released this morning. The changes made from version 2.40 are:

Fixed File Corruption that was causing transfer failures w/ Garmin Ant Agent
Added a Memory Details feature to the History Menu
Recovery HR message will now only show when it is supposed to
ANT+ power data improvements
Added safeguards to correct issues where a unit would not power on
Improved execution of courses

Another important note regarding this update; Loading 2.60 will clear all user data from the 310XT.

The update can be acquired from the following location:
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/downloadsAgree.jsp?product=010-00741-00&cID=142&pID=27335

If you do not see the update available when accessing the link above please continue to check back during the day.

Thank you everyone for you patience!

-jjjhawk88

Great it's been released, but I'll be losing 2 months worth of training data! :mad:

SEILOGRAMP
08-31-2009, 10:18 AM
Great it's been released, but I'll be losing 2 months worth of training data! :mad:

Were you able to save your activities to Training Center?

ALEXMBELL
08-31-2009, 10:24 AM
Were you able to save your activities to Training Center?

No, I've had this problem since I first bought the 310XT, never been able to get any data off it.

MADEUPNAME
08-31-2009, 11:46 AM
I too have a "BadFit File" which is stopping the upload via Ant Agent. Before performing a hard reset I have been able to upload workouts to Garmin Connect using the upload feature within GC.....so you need not necessarily lose your history.

If you want to still keep the workouts for later viewing in GTC, on a Mac, go to user\library\application support\garmin\device\xxxxxxxx (where xxxxxxxxx is the device ID of your 310) and you could "try" copying the contents of the "Pending Upload" folder to another location, change the name of the "Device" folder to something else and re-pair your 310 with your Mac. This will create a new device folder. Create a short brief workout and then copy the old pending upload folder contents to the new pending upload contents folder.

BTW: You won;t be able to upload the new firmware whilst the Ant Agent continues to fall over with the corrupt history as it performs the firmware upgrade after uploading all pending files!

I did get the upgrade to work today but the elevation issue (over exaggeration by a 2+ factor has not been fixed).

IRONKEV
08-31-2009, 12:33 PM
The much anticipated 2.60 update has been released this morning.
-jjjhawk88

Hope this works, having just come back from a key workout and having the unit crash during it, i had made the decision to return the watch only to come back and see this post.

I so want to love this device -

" so my little 310xt you have a stay of execution....."

ALEXMBELL
08-31-2009, 06:45 PM
Having been in touch with support directly, it turns out that I will indeed lose all my data off my 310XT, 40+ hours of training and races.

So I do a hard reset, now the 310XT will transfer data to ANT Agent.

Try to install the new 2.60 firmware and all that happens is my 310XT keeps restarting and ANT Agent shows that the update failed. Never gets off 0%.

Have been back in touch with support, really hoping I can get this fixed, had the 310XT since early July and not been able to get a single bit of data off it.

To use for training its great, but not being able to analyse the data afterwards really makes it worthless.

Will keep this updated with any progress, but would be interested if any one else is experiencing this problem.

JJJHAWK88
08-31-2009, 07:06 PM
ALEXMBELL-

I know this question may be rhetorical but I'll ask it anyway, are you sure the master clear worked? It sounds like the device is reading corrupt data during the update process thus the failure.

Also, what version of ANT Agent are you running? If not at the most recent version (2.2.7.) I would recommend updating.

Let me know how it goes and I'll follow-up tomorrow.

-jjjhawk88

ASRID
08-31-2009, 08:17 PM
Having been in touch with support directly, it turns out that I will indeed lose all my data off my 310XT, 40+ hours of training and races.

Try to install the new 2.60 firmware and all that happens is my 310XT keeps restarting and ANT Agent shows that the update failed. Never gets off 0%.

Have been back in touch with support, really hoping I can get this fixed, had the 310XT since early July and not been able to get a single bit of data off it.

To use for training its great, but not being able to analyse the data afterwards really makes it worthless.

Will keep this updated with any progress, but would be interested if any one else is experiencing this problem.

When you see the failure at 0%, do you know if ANT Agent says Downloading... or if it indicates that it is Updating firmware.... If it is downloading, it looks like your master clear might not have worked. You might want to try that again.

ALEXMBELL
08-31-2009, 08:20 PM
ALEXMBELL-

I know this question may be rhetorical but I'll ask it anyway, are you sure the master clear worked? It sounds like the device is reading corrupt data during the update process thus the failure.

Also, what version of ANT Agent are you running? If not at the most recent version (2.2.7.) I would recommend updating.

Let me know how it goes and I'll follow-up tomorrow.

-jjjhawk88

Pretty sure the master clear worked, the setup wizard ran again, I have no history on the 310XT and had to enter my personal details again.

ANT Agent is version 2.1.3 for Mac.

I have gone through a complete reinstall of ANT Agent, repairing of the 310XT.

A transfer of history happens before the firmware update is attempted. There is no history on the 310XT so not sure what it is trying to transfer.

JJJHAWK88
09-01-2009, 08:58 AM
Thank you for the additional information. There might be something going on with the MAC side of this update. Can you please provide the following information?

MAC OS:
Browser:
Browser Version:

-jjjhawk88

JUST-TRI
09-01-2009, 04:48 PM
It gets all the way through the update and then displays a message that the update failed. My 310 currently runs version 2.5, and I have the latest ANT software. I'm running Mac OS X version 10.5.7.

ALEXMBELL
09-01-2009, 07:58 PM

I have now managed to get v2.60 onto my 310XT by using Windows running on VMWare. From reading some other posts, looks like the problem could be Snow Leopard related.

My specs:

Mac Snow Leopard
ANT Agent 2.1.3
310XT v2.40

The key to getting it to work under VMWare was this command entered into the Terminal.

Sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/SILabsUSBDriver.kext

This releases the ANT Device so that it can be attached to the virtual machine and used.

Big thanks to PhilipShambrook for this.

Now just hoping that the downloading of data will work properly now.

Thank you to a great community.

KIMBONDE
09-02-2009, 01:07 AM
Same Equipment, MacBook
Snow Leopard,
Upgraded and downgraded all Garmin software,
Ant keeps trying to send the firmware upgrade to 310 XT,
No result

Tried through Parallels,
No results,

Back to running 2.4....
Would realy like to have the ugrade, since I have lost som records previously...

BCWGARMIN
09-02-2009, 09:25 AM
Support just told me I may have to find a PC to do the upgrade. My response - "So I am supposed to by an $800 PC to get my $400 computer updated?"

SAEEDI
09-02-2009, 03:07 PM
Support just told me I may have to find a PC to do the upgrade. My response - "So I am supposed to by an $800 PC to get my $400 computer updated?"

Not that this may be of help to you, but you could consider visiting a friend with a Windows machine since this is a one-time (hopefully) occurrence.

On the other hand, installing a new OS within the first week of release also brings unseen headaches. My Parallels 3 has stopped working, so off to VMWare I go.

BCWGARMIN
09-02-2009, 03:43 PM
I do not see it as a viable option to install software on another persons machine to cover the software engineers at Garmin. Frankly, if the software is no good on the Mac version, how can I, with a straight face, say to a friend "Garmin has trouble writing software, can I install some of their software on your machine and see if it works?"

Besides, given the other posts, I don't think this is a Snow Leopard issue. If it is a Snow Leopard issue, maybe ASRID should have said, "at this time our software is not tested with Snow Leopard", rather than "ANT Agent has been tested and currently supports the beta version of Snow Leopard." When I read that, I was thinking that they had a prerelease copy that MAC provided to vendors in order to test.

When I talked to support I was told I had to download the release until I got a good one that updated the software? I think he might have used the word "persnickety." I don't think Garmin support has any faith in their software.

This reminds me a lot of the 2.4, I think it was, release for the 405. There is a track history of releases that don't do anything but do the Loader Loading....

I am mad because I lost my century. Maybe I should just calm down and learn to accept that I purchased junk and learn to live with mediocrity. It seems to be the best course of action. Better for my blood pressure anyway. But then again, I do a lot of running and my blood pressure is fine.

SAEEDI
09-02-2009, 04:12 PM
One final try on your part on the Mac would be to downgrade your ANT Agent to 2.1.0 and see if your firmware will install then. Use it only for the firmware update and if successful go back to 2.1.3 for uploading activities and such.

philipshambrook
09-02-2009, 04:57 PM
It may well be worthwhile having a conversation with your retailer. Admittedly the Garmin software has less funtionality on the Mac, or PC for that matter, than most of us would like, but it does work.

I have Snow Leopard, and the beta Garmin Communicator Plugin on an iMac talking just fine through the ANT Agent. The beta Training Centre tells me how many workouts I can send so prevents me from sending too many. Nice feature. All works nicely

To get the ANT Agent working on Windoze unplug the ANT stick and run

Sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/SILabsUSBDriver.kext

in a terminal window.

Fire up Parallels and WIndoze and all is well there too.

Also just discovered that I do not have to reboot the Mac to get the ANT Agent back on the Mac after closing Parallels. Open a terminal window and run:

Sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/SILabsUSBDriver.kext

Voila, now works on the Mac without a reboot

next step is work up a couple of Apple scripts to do this 'automatically'. Anyone care to save me learning Applescript to do this?

Sad news is that the Parallels update, just released has not fixed the issue of the SILabsUSBDriver.kext having to be unloaded

PAULFDUNN
09-03-2009, 05:03 PM
If I have read all the history correctly, the file corruption problem was fixed with 2.6.

I am running a 310XT, with 2.6, ANT agent 2.2.7, PC running Windows XP PRO SP3, and I have a workout that did not upload and there is a file in the C:\Documents and Settings\dunnp\Application Data\GARMIN\Devices\3620820783\BadFITFiles directory.

I upgraded to 2.6 on Tuesday, have since done several hard resets to try to correct the "wont keep time between power down" issue, and the time stamp on the file in the BadFitFiles directory is from this morning. So this is not a corrupt file left over from days running something prior to 2.6. (I just got the watch Monday night, and upgraded prior to use on Tuesday morning.)

So it appears to me that 2.6 did not solve this problem. Is that true?

P.S. I was in "other" mode, no intervals recorded during the workout, GPS was disabled because I was inside; just keeping time and HR recorded.

VANDENEYNDEN
09-06-2009, 04:05 PM
impossible to install firmware 2.6 from my MAC.
ANT Agent says that the connection was OK but the firmware update failed.
The crusor always stays at 0% and my 310xt keeps restarting.

philipshambrook
09-06-2009, 05:33 PM
You can start with deleting history, but could be a problem with courses too. A hard reset will take the device back to day one factory defaults, including screen layouts.
I've been struggling to download a course to my 310XT - ANT Agent just fails when attempting to download the course. Deleted the course from GTC and anywhere I could find a reference to a course, including .fit files. The problem is on Snow Leopard, Leopard and Windoze under parallels.
All ok now all course information is cleared and nothing being sent.

DEREK0207
09-07-2009, 02:01 PM
I have the 2.6 firmware now on my 310xt and the last 2 workouts have failed to load. One is a key workout :mad:

I have the 2 workouts in the BadFITFiles folder
20090905-080656-1-1018-ANTFS-4.Fit which is 39kb of gibberish.
There must be some way to decode this?

I'm using vista and ant agent 2.2.7.

I've just done a hard reset and switched off the auto laps function.
Will this help?
Derek

Update: Both workouts were runs if its any help. Auto lap was on in both cases.

philipshambrook
09-09-2009, 02:17 PM
Problem with data transfer last night on both Snow Leopard and Windoze Vista under parallels. All versions of software and updates for ANT Agent, GC (beta Snow Leopard) and operating systems are the most recent available. Browser in both cases is Firefox, again with all updates loaded.

The problem seems to lie with some data corruption on the 310XT. On both systems the activity - a simple run with no laps - uploaded into GTC on PC(automatically) and Mac (after opening GTC) and into GC through Firefox. In both cases the ANT agent then continued to constantly fail and constantly attempt to transfer data - reporting there was new data to transfer, but failing.

Working on Snow Leopard, I removed ANT Agent, deleted all the files, removed GTC, (after exporting history) deleted all files. Basically expunged any Garmin files from the Mac. Cleared all history from the 310. Only profile and workouts left on the 310.

Reloaded everything, re-paired the 310 and same problem. Sent profile from GC and GTC to see if that would correct it. No deal! Downloads seemed to go ok. ANT Agent kept reporting there was new data to transfer, but failed.

The only reason I have yet to do a hard reset is because I cannot, at the moment, face having to re-program the 310 again!! Writing this, the only thing I did not do was remove the workouts. Maybe try that.

I really do like the 310, but it's getting a little tedious having to re-program the thing so often. :(

philipshambrook
09-09-2009, 04:15 PM
Good heavens, can't even say d$%n!

Deleted all workouts no difference. ANT Agent is still telling me that it has found paired device with new data, establishes connection, downloading fitness data tries to start, but goes no where before cra%%()g out and repeating the process continually.

Swallowed hard and did a hard reset. That fixed it. Now to spend the next supreme deity knows how long setting it up again. :eek:

CSCHULTEN
09-09-2009, 04:54 PM
Are people still getting "badfit" files? I thought the 2.6 upgrade was supposed to fix this. I'm paranoid about using my 310XT, thinking I'll lose the data. Since upgrading to 2.6 I haven't had any "badfit" data corruption issues, but is that a result of the hard reset done when upgrading or the 2.6 upgrade itself?

philipshambrook
09-09-2009, 08:28 PM
No badfit files for me on either of the 310XTs we have in the house. Just the issue detailed above. I wonder if there is something like an EOF message missing that leaves the ANT Agent believing there is still data present.

ALLROUNDER69
09-18-2009, 03:08 AM
FW Version 2.60
ANT Version 2.2.27
Windows XP (SP3)

Run today won't upload to GTC - ANT says transfer was successful.

Checked BADFitFiles folder - there's one there with today's date (10kb).

Is the only fix a hard reset??

JJJHAWK88
09-18-2009, 08:17 AM
ALLROUNDER69,

At this time the only way to prevent other workouts from being corrupted is to master clear you device. Before doing so I do have a few questions.

What sport mode are you in? Is this the only sport mode you use?

Is this the first activity corruption you have had? How many have you had since upgrading to 2.60?

Check your private messages in the top right hand corner of the forum screen, thanks!

jjjhawk88

ALLROUNDER69
09-20-2009, 02:34 AM
At this time the only way to prevent other workouts from being corrupted is to master clear you device

I wish I'd read this before today's half marathon....

Before doing so I do have a few questions.
What sport mode are you in? Is this the only sport mode you use?
Is this the first activity corruption you have had? How many have you had since upgrading to 2.60?

sport mode = run; i have used bike
this was the first activity corruption
counting 2 day that makes 2!

CSTUEMER
09-20-2009, 01:19 PM
Today I used my 310XT first time as bike computer in correlation with a GSC10.
And what happens - I can't import the recorded dato into TC or GC.
The related file is stored in the BadFitFiles directory :(

Untill now, I used the 310Xt only for running without foodpod, only with hrm and gps recording. No problems with upload of data.

I bought this device 3 weeks ago and updated directly to FW2.6 before the first use.

FW Version 2.60
ANT Version 2.2.27

philipshambrook
09-20-2009, 04:53 PM
I was uploading the weekend's activities on my wife's 310XT - Macbook, Leopard with all updates, latest ANT Agent and Communicator.
From habit I was watching the progress bar on the ANT Agent. It stuck at 25% for quite a few minutes before ANT Agent crashed. Sent the report to Garmin.
Restarted ANT Agent and the data transfer started again. This time the progress bar stuck at 33% for a few minutes before transfer was completed successfully.
Activities were a bike ride with multiple laps on Saturday, a run with multiple laps on Sunday, followed by a single lap bike ride on Sunday.

This is not the first time I've seen ANT Agent appear to hang before finishing an upload. But it was the first time I have seen it crash.

I strongly recommend you watch the progress ANT Agent when uploading and leave it be - go away and make a cup of tea or something. Sometimes the upload goes straight through, other times it appears to hang for a while before moving.

ALLROUNDER69
09-20-2009, 06:46 PM
can we use auto lap?
can we use manual lapping?

philipshambrook
09-20-2009, 07:10 PM
The laps were generated from an advanced workout - bike 4x10km rest 5km and run 15x400m rest 600m, plus warm up and cool down. So there was a lot happening in 2 of the activities. One of the other activities was a bike stop and start and an 'Other' activity which was a pool swim with no GPS or HR data, just some manual laps.

Not used auto-lapping, apart from initially as the run and bike setting were to auto-lap every 1km.

To be honest I'm thinking that the complexity of the activity data being downloaded is a bit of a red herring. I've experienced problems with activities that are just stop and start as well as activities that include a number of laps.

Try it and see. You've nothing to lose but some data :eek:

ALLROUNDER69
09-20-2009, 07:26 PM
we should be able to use whatever setup the watch allows...yet there seems to be all sorts of problems...

I've only had two corrupt activities so far but unfortunately one was in the Sydney Half marahton yesterday...

I've since done a hard reset so it will be interesting to see how it goes from now on...

philipshambrook
09-20-2009, 09:45 PM
we should be able to use whatever setup the watch allows...yet there seems to be all sorts of problems...

I've only had two corrupt activities so far but unfortunately one was in the Sydney Half marahton yesterday...

I've since done a hard reset so it will be interesting to see how it goes from now on...

Couldn't agree more. But the problem with being at the bleeding edge of technology is that things go wrong. Despite their best efforts, the folk at Garmin can't possibly test all the possible permutations us users put their devices through.

We use our 310s as we see fit to use them, pressing whatever buttons and using whatever combinations we want, because there does not appear to be a common thread linking the upload issues. Maybe we've missed it, but as we swim, bike, and run 6 days a week using our 310s for most of those sessions we've accumulated quite a number of different sessions. And, touching wood fervently, only lost 2 from one device. We upload through various combinations of Windoze Vista, Firefox, parallels, Leopard, Snow Leopard, Safari.

As much as I do get frustrated at times, I accept that eventually it will all work...hopefully...possibly...naively... :D

CSTUEMER
09-21-2009, 11:37 AM
can we use auto lap?
can we use manual lapping?

I have not used any lap function, only press stop/start for a coffee break during the bike training, but the result is stored in "BadFITFiles"....
Which feature I should additionally switch off to get this device working reliably ?

philipshambrook
09-21-2009, 02:31 PM
I have not used any lap function, only press stop/start for a coffee break during the bike training, but the result is stored in "BadFITFiles"....
Which feature I should additionally switch off to get this device working reliably ?

I don't believe there's a need to switch anything off. Until such a time as somebody clearly states that the problem with data corrupting is because the device is used in a particular manner, then I seen no point in doing anything other than using the device as you need to use it.

Given that between us we've logged over 100 individual activities in various combinations of advanced workouts to simple stop./start, swim, bike, run and multi-sport, and only lost 2 of them, I'd say the reliability is pretty good.

I know pretty good is not 100% and a pain in the proverbial if you lose important data. I am confident all will be well before too long. In the meantime just use the device and log any problems. If you are having real issues, log a call with Garmin support directly.

JJJHAWK88
09-21-2009, 03:10 PM
Interesting...I have collected some data from ALLROUNDER69 in order to further detail the issue. I'll update this post once I have additional information. Thanks for hanging in there with me!

jjjhawk88

RUNHYUNG
09-25-2009, 08:22 AM
This incredibly frustrating issue has finally plagued me after 2 months of successful usage of auto lap. Now sporadically workouts won't upload, meaning I'm often losing new courses, wandering through neighborhoods and such.

MTNSUMMIT
09-28-2009, 11:46 PM
Owned my unit for about a three weeks, all latest update. Have only used in run mode, all uploads of workouts have been fine. Until now. Used "bike" mode and "other" as follows: First did a run in the morning in "running" mode. Held lap button down to reset for new event for same day. Next was "other" mode, did swim in indoor pool. Held lap button for reset for new event. Same day entered "bike" mode to to a bike ride. When uploading at end of day, the swim and bike workouts uploaded fine. However my "run" event (first one on the morning) did not upload, and I see it in the "Badfit" folder. Strange it was the first event of the day, yet did not upload, but last 2 for the day (swim and bike) did just fine. First time I have had a problem, now worried reading this thread. I have always had auto-lap on, a great feature I do not want to turn "off". Help me with confidence in the product.:(

FRISWIZ
10-07-2009, 11:24 PM
JJJHAWK88. I've used my 310xt successfully for months. I then upgraded to 2.6 and now have a valuable triathlon and run that showup in the BADFIT file folder. I have my first Ironman on November 22nd. Anything you can do to get this situation sorted out prior to that date would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm president of a large tri club and am doing a meeting next week titled All Things Garmin. As much as I don't want to, it looks like the prudent thing to do is to at least warn them this can happenn with their valuable data. Thank you for your continued efforts and hard work on our behalf!

GPAK99
10-09-2009, 06:33 AM
My unit is about 3 weeks old and 2 days ago sessions stopped uploading (coincidentally during the run which first failed to upload the HRM stopped registering 1/2 way through, but I think the 2 events are unrelated)

I have badfit files for the missing sessions. I've just updated the firmware to 2.60 and I sure hope the problem does not recur as I have lost the data from a benchmark run interval set that my new coach prescribed.

JONTSNZ
10-28-2009, 11:24 PM
The 310XT with 2.6 is definitely still creating BadFITFiles.

Bought my 310XT two days ago. Installed all latest updates. The watch was 2.6 already. Did a few test recordings - all uploaded fine.

This morning rode to the pool and recorded that. I powered the watch off and back on. This is FIT file #1.

Then did a bike-swim-bike-run-swim-bike-run brick session using Auto Multisport mode with auto transitions. Auto-laps were set for 1km for both the bike and run. Stopped it at the end (didn't reset because I hadn't read how to do that yet). Then put it in Bike mode, started the timer and rode home. On the way home, I decided to change the bike auto-lap from 1km to 5km. When I got home I turned it off. This is FIT file #2.

So FIT file #1 uploaded fine, FIT file #2 has not uploaded and is a 'BadFITFile'. I've since done another recording and it has uploaded fine. I haven't had to do a hard reset, and I've still got FIT#2 sitting in the history on the watch.

I'm hoping that the BadFITFile was the result of all the unusual things I did during that brick session (like changing the bike auto-lap). In two days I'll do another auto-multisport swim-bike-run brick with the auto-laps on and hopefully that'll work fine. :confused:

Luckily, I was paranoid and I took the belt and braces approach, training with the old Polar on one wrist and the 310XT on the other, and two heart-rate straps. It looks silly, but no-one wants to lose workout data! I guess I'll be doing this for quite a while yet. ;)

My specs are:

Mac OS X 10.5.8
310XT with 2.60
Ant Agent 2.1.4 (Mac)

FI1508
11-13-2009, 06:37 PM
Sorry if these are really dumb questions but this is all a bit technical for me! I have not been able to download data for over a week now. I do have a Bad fit file.

1. Am I supposed to delete this file from my hard drive?

2. I have a history folder on my hard drive that appears to be the data that should have appeared on in the training centre. Can I use one of the TCX converter websites to access the data in these files?

Thanks. :)

FI1508
11-13-2009, 08:34 PM
I am now also getting the following message: 'Connect failed due to server error'.

I have searched the forum for this and was told to delete the 'GCAuthorizationKey', which I did. We redid the authorisation and were told 'Congratulations, you're reauthorised'. We then tried uploading more data and got exactly the same message: 'Connect failed due to server error'.

I have tried sending a message to the support desk, but it keeps crashing and won't go through. If anyone knows a proper email address for someone in tech support, I'd be really grateful. I have now spent most of Saturday morning trying to sort out this problem and I'm not impressed.

ARNT72
01-02-2010, 05:10 PM
Hi Guys!

I have a similar problem with my 310.
All installed 4 months ago and working well.
But since 4 weeks the upload function does not find any more activities in the 310.
I check the history on the 310 and there are files saved.
When going through the upload process though no files are found.
any ideas?

KCBuffalo
01-05-2010, 09:19 AM
ARNT72,

Have you checked your device folder for any activities that may not have been uploaded? If not, please open these folders:

In Windows XP: C:\ Drive > Documents and Setting > username > Application Data > GARMIN > Devices > numbered folder and look in the History, Activities, BadFIT and Garmin Connect/Pending Uploads.

In Windows Vista, please open C:\ Drive > users > username > Application Data > Local Low > Roaming > GARMIN > Devices > numbered folder and look in History, Activities, BadFIT and Garmin Connect/Pending Uploads.

On a Mac: Open User Folder> Library > Application Support > Garmin > Devices > (Open the folder with a 10 digit Number) and look in History, Activities, BadFIT and Garmin Connect/Pending Uploads.

If you find any FIT or TCX files in History, Activities or Pending Uploads, please do a manual upload of these files, and then remove them from these folders. To do a manual upload in Garmin Connect, please log into your account and go to Upload > Manual Upload > Browse and open the file.

If you have any BadFIT files, please attach them to your reply.

-Damon-

BAMBAATA83
01-08-2010, 04:29 PM
Hi i also have a number of Badfitfiles. Should i send them to you to have a look? One of these is a 100km turbo session that took near three hours. You can imagine my frustration at sitting for so long on the turbo only for it not to upload :( It would be great if you could help

Thanks

HENLUNDS
02-25-2010, 01:11 PM
Now mine did it again. Last time I did a reset and it worked for a couple of days.

"The transfer fails, "the last transfer failed at 2010-x-x-x-x"

It's not only the transfer that fail. If you try and change sport by pressing the mode button it freezes and you can't reset you lap by holding reset button for 3 seconds, it freezes then to.

So something happens in the 310xt that affects both the transfer, mode and reset functions.

Hope they fix this soon...

R0SSI9
08-08-2010, 05:27 AM
ARNT72,

In Windows Vista, please open C:\ Drive > users > username > Application Data > Local Low > Roaming > GARMIN > Devices > numbered folder and look in History, Activities, BadFIT and Garmin Connect/Pending Uploads.

If you have any BadFIT files, please attach them to your reply.

-Damon-

Hi....

My GF has a FR405 and has problems w. 5 files not being transferred.

She is on Vista, but has no folder C:\ Drive > users > username > Application Data >

( I know that username is her user account )

Have no idea how to locate the files. Using search finds none of the folders!

KCBuffalo
08-09-2010, 07:18 AM
Application Data may be a hidden folder. Please visit this link to see how to show the hidden files (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Show-hidden-files).

-Damon-

R0SSI9
08-11-2010, 01:39 AM
Application Data may be a hidden folder. Please visit this link to see how to show the hidden files (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Show-hidden-files).

-Damon-

Thx.

Done.... There are no files in the suggested folders. The files are stil on the watch, but are not transfered..... FR405.... just 2 months old....

So no help?! Cant transfer 5 important race files!

CESARETRA
08-29-2010, 12:00 PM
I did an Olympic tri today and the files end up in the badfit directory. Could you have a look and let me know why it is corrupted?

HIPDUF
08-29-2010, 07:21 PM
My goodness. This thread is over a year old and the problem is still not fixed? The 310XT is a wonderful device - Garmin, don't you think it's time to put a priority on taking care of this? I am relatively lucky, I haven't lost any data, it's just a problem uploading training schedules to the device, and takes many tries. But for those people who are depending on this and are losing data, this delay is ridiculous. Can you explain exactly what is being done (if anything) to get this solved?

caz

THEBIKEGEEK.HK
09-05-2010, 07:11 AM
Same problem for me. Could you please 'unlock' this bad fit file?

I've had quite a few lately, during critical events funilly enough. Can't seem to find any sort of pattern to it, although my 310XT, today at the start of this workout, did tell me that I was running out of storage and that I needed to delete some history, so I deleted 'all'. It was then quite happy to record the rest of the workout, I just can't access it and it is in my badfit folder.

Thanks much! Please let us know soon when you figure out the cause of this problem, or fix it, or if there is an easy way for us to fix the files in question.

R0SSI9
09-07-2010, 07:06 AM
Same problem for me. Could you please 'unlock' this bad fit file?

I've had quite a few lately, during critical events funilly enough. Can't seem to find any sort of pattern to it, although my 310XT, today at the start of this workout, did tell me that I was running out of storage and that I needed to delete some history, so I deleted 'all'. It was then quite happy to record the rest of the workout, I just can't access it and it is in my badfit folder.

Thanks much! Please let us know soon when you figure out the cause of this problem, or fix it, or if there is an easy way for us to fix the files in question.

How sweet! I never got the help!! My Girlfriend Lost 5 files from her FR405!!! 5 Race files from a European Cup she did!!!! Not happy about it!!! Btw. watch is just 2 months old.... replaced another one that died!!! :mad:

I am happy that Daemon helped me recover my file!!! Thx!

cjdgeorge
05-16-2011, 02:31 AM
As with all the others my files are downloading intermittently. I have
upgraded to the lastest software (was probably on it already but double checked)
done a download all files hard transfer
checked my computer and found all the FIT files that correspond to what is on the watch and established that not all have transferred to TCX files and that this seems to correspond to the missing file dates
trawled throu the fora for answers and it seems that I am going to have to do a hard reset (whatever that is!)
Questions
If I have the FIT files, is there not a programme on the web I can use to manually make them into TCX files?
If I do a hard reset having transferred all my data to FIT files is there a way to get it back into the watch to download onto ANT+ and get back where I started?
Am I missing some other way of getting the watch to work properly?

Chris