PDA

View Full Version : Transfer waypoints, routes & tracks to 310XT?

FRANCISSEDGEMORE
08-01-2009, 05:05 AM
Is it possible to transfer waypoints, routes and tracks from BaseCamp/RoadTrip to a Forerunner 310XT?

Until buying a 310XT yesterday, my experience has been restricted to mapping GPS devices such as the eTrex Vista HCx. Although the 310XT doesn't do maps, it would still be useful to transfer my waypoint and track library to the device. However, when I try this in BaseCamp (on a Mac), nothing is transferred.

SEILOGRAMP
08-01-2009, 05:50 AM
This cannot be done. All you can do is save a "location" on the device. You cannot move it as a waypoint to or from the device. One of my few complaints about the 310XT. I don't know if this is something that they plan on adding as an update. You can send courses to the device. These are files specifically designed for the Garmin fitness devices.

FRANCISSEDGEMORE
08-01-2009, 06:11 AM
Thanks for the response, Phil. Couldn't it be done with the 305?

I'm not sure how useful a feature it would be to me, given that I intend to sell the almost brand new eTrex Vista (which I've been using with the Topo GB maps on a microSD card), and use an iPhone 3GS for navigation purposes. But I do have a substantial library of waypoints and tracks built up through cycling around rural Kent, Surrey and Sussex, and it could be handy to save these to the 310XT.

SEILOGRAMP
08-01-2009, 06:13 AM
Yes, it can be done with the 305. It recognizes waypoints and you can manage them with MapSource. I still have all my waypoints saved in MapSource, so if I need a particular one on the 310, I can manually enter the coordinates.

SEILOGRAMP
08-03-2009, 10:22 AM
FWIW, I contacted Garmin support concerning waypoints when I first received my 310. Here is their response:

The waypoints cannot be sent to Mapsource from the 310XT. I don't know if this is a software update that will be released later. I have forwarded this on as a suggestion to my Supervisor who will then forward it on to the Engineer's determination. However, I can't guarantee that a change in software will be made but we appreciate you sending the request to us.