PDA

View Full Version : Recovery Heart Rate

ASHEVILLEMIKE
11-17-2009, 08:38 AM
Can someone tell me about the recovery heart rate on my 310xt?

I get that it checks my rate 2 minutes after exercise. What I don't understand is what to do with that number. It seems that the higher my rate at the end of my workout, the higher the recovery number would be.

I have read the document linked in an earlier post on this, but it tells what to do with the rate after a 1 minute check, which is vastly different that the 2 minute number that Garmin gives.

Thanks

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
11-17-2009, 03:13 PM
Everything in earlier posts about recovery heart rate still applies. The quicker your heart rate falls post exercise the fitter you are likely to be.

You can calculate your recovery rate just as well using 2 minutes as you can using 1 minute. As long as you use the same time interval, the results will be valid.

SImply put, irrespective of how hard you were working at the end of an exercise session, the further your heart rate falls in any given time period, the fitter you are. Clearly your heart rate is likely to register a bigger fall if you finish an exercise session hard, than if you finish it easy. That's why you need to calculate some sort of ratio between HR at completion of exercise and HR at n minutes later.

Bear in mind that if you are cooling down, then your heart rate is already slowing as the intensity decreases. The ratio is still valid.

TRYING2GOFAST
11-18-2009, 10:16 AM
You also have to bear in mind that you can really only compare the recovery figures from the same workout, in the same general temperature and humidity conditions.

The deeper in oxygen debt you are at the end of the workout, the longer it's going to take for your HR to drop, and that's true regardless of fitness level. So you can't compare your recovery rate after a tempo run to the rate after a long run, e.g.

Same is true about exercising in the heat.

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
11-18-2009, 01:56 PM
You also have to bear in mind that you can really only compare the recovery figures from the same workout, in the same general temperature and humidity conditions.

The deeper in oxygen debt you are at the end of the workout, the longer it's going to take for your HR to drop, and that's true regardless of fitness level. So you can't compare your recovery rate after a tempo run to the rate after a long run, e.g.

Same is true about exercising in the heat.

All of the above is true, but you are not simply looking at how far your heartrate falls in a defined time period after exercise stops. By calculating a ratio between the two numbers you get a pretty good idea of your level of fitness. Your heartrate will likely drop more beats after a hard session than after an easy session or when a cool down has been performed. However, the ratio between the 2 levels is what counts.

It's not the number of beats that counts, but the difference between the two numbers expressed as a ratio. For instance if you finish a session at 175 and your heartrate falls to 125 within a time frame then the ratio is 0.714 but the HR drop is 50 beats. If you finish at 110 and your HR drops to 80 within the same time frame then the ratio is 0.727 but the drop is only 30 beats.
If you looked at the numbers alone you'd think there was a significant difference in fitness levels. Looking at the ration betwen the 2 gives a different story.

Of course it can be much more complicated than this. But I like simplicity.

RIDERA
11-18-2009, 06:02 PM
You folks may find this article interesting.

http://www.ridersite.org/SBTraining/HeartRateFundamentals.pdf

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
11-18-2009, 06:22 PM
And this which is referenced elsewhere on this forum:

Heart Rate Recovery calculation (http://www.gbboyscadetepee.co.uk/HeartRateRecovery.doc)

Substitute 2 minutes for 1 minute.

A bit of work on Google will give you all the answers...and more. Simply put, the farther your heart rate falls after exercise stops the fitter you are. Taking the difference in beats in isolation is a poor indicator. You need to manipulate the difference in some way to gain a reasonable indication of fitness. And you need to do this regularly in order to gain any realistic insight and to identify trends or anomalies which might indicate underlying problems

YUVALLA
12-26-2009, 12:54 PM
All of the above is true, but you are not simply looking at how far your heartrate falls in a defined time period after exercise stops. By calculating a ratio between the two numbers you get a pretty good idea of your level of fitness. Your heartrate will likely drop more beats after a hard session than after an easy session or when a cool down has been performed. However, the ratio between the 2 levels is what counts.

It's not the number of beats that counts, but the difference between the two numbers expressed as a ratio. For instance if you finish a session at 175 and your heartrate falls to 125 within a time frame then the ratio is 0.714 but the HR drop is 50 beats. If you finish at 110 and your HR drops to 80 within the same time frame then the ratio is 0.727 but the drop is only 30 beats.
If you looked at the numbers alone you'd think there was a significant difference in fitness levels. Looking at the ration betwen the 2 gives a different story.

Of course it can be much more complicated than this. But I like simplicity.

Hi
I would have expected that when the recovery message appear (after the fix time of 1 or 2 min') it will also include this ratio number, or at least I will be able to find it in the Garmin Software after download my activity to the Garmin site and analyze my activity. Supporting the recovery time ration feature should not be complicated to add, as all the required data appears and saved on the Garmin watch - do you know why it is not supported?

Thanks
Yuval

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
12-26-2009, 03:12 PM
Hi
I would have expected that when the recovery message appear (after the fix time of 1 or 2 min') it will also include this ratio number, or at least I will be able to find it in the Garmin Software after download my activity to the Garmin site and analyze my activity. Supporting the recovery time ration feature should not be complicated to add, as all the required data appears and saved on the Garmin watch - do you know why it is not supported?

Thanks
Yuval
Garmin's caught between a rock and a hard place. If they provide a calculation, you can bet your bottom dollar that someone will complain that is not the right method. Easier to give you a number to input into your preferred method.
Personally, I don't track recovery HR. I'm more interested in monitoring how I am moving over time at a particular heart rate. Pace should increase for a given HR as exercise intensity and duration take effect and fitness develops.

YUVALLA
12-27-2009, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the prompt replay
I can agree but at least they could enablethe ability to get a record of recovery HR value and download it to the Garmin site per activity/workout so you can follow your improvment over the continues activities
At this moment I do not see any value with just seeing the HR after 2 min the workout is completed only on the 310 and then this data is disappear and not record any more. How can I remember weeks later what was my HR and how did I progress?

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
12-27-2009, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the prompt replay
I can agree but at least they could enable the ability to get a record of recovery HR value and download it to the Garmin site per activity/workout so you can follow your improvement over the continues activities
At this moment I do not see any value with just seeing the HR after 2 min the workout is completed only on the 310 and then this data is disappear and not record any more. How can I remember weeks later what was my HR and how did I progress?

Pen and paper works:D But the concept is such a nebulous one anyway. Far better to evaluate your fitness based on how much faster you get for the same heart rate.

SBRTRI@COMCAST.NET
10-29-2012, 11:55 AM
I have never done this before so let me know if i am doing something wrong>>what
do the rhr numbers mean at the end of the workout.there is a high one and a low one. I realize that the fitter one is maybe the lower it will be but what is the second one? Thanks