PDA

View Full Version : Map update problem with Garmin Express

JAZZEUR
03-18-2013, 11:25 AM
I have attempted to update the maps on my Nuvi with the old installer. I was then forced to install the Garmin Express program to do so. The maps and other software updates downloaded alright. However, they never installed on my unit (no warning, no error messages during 5 hours).

I then went to MyDashboard online with the latest Firefox browser. The Garmin site never recognized that the latest Garmin Communicator module was already installed. I then used Internet Expplorer to log into MyGarmin. When I went to the maps update section, I was told that a map update failed and instructed to double-click on the file to start the installation process. However, I never found the bloody file on my computer. I was also offered the choice to entirely remove Garmin Express from my computer. I did so and logged back into MyDashboard. When I attempted to re-download the maps I was again told to install Garmin Express. I did so and I was then informed that it installed correctly. However, the program is now so sluggish that it does not recognize my unit when plugged-in and won't let me register it.

What the hell is going on with your map update process? Is there a solution to my problems?

Frustrated and angry,

STUARTMW
03-18-2013, 11:34 AM
Is there a solution to my problems?
Uninstall and forget about Garmin Express.

Download and use GarminMapUpdater (the old way).

http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.exe

Keep a copy for next time.

AJMCCAR
03-30-2013, 09:17 AM
My problem with Garmen Express is that I could not connect wirelessly to my computer however I could connect to my smart phone. Once I removed Garmen Express, my computer connected. I imagine that other users will have the same problem. Looks like garmen has a big software problem.

I have attempted to update the maps on my Nuvi with the old installer. I was then forced to install the Garmin Express program to do so. The maps and other software updates downloaded alright. However, they never installed on my unit (no warning, no error messages during 5 hours).

I then went to MyDashboard online with the latest Firefox browser. The Garmin site never recognized that the latest Garmin Communicator module was already installed. I then used Internet Expplorer to log into MyGarmin. When I went to the maps update section, I was told that a map update failed and instructed to double-click on the file to start the installation process. However, I never found the bloody file on my computer. I was also offered the choice to entirely remove Garmin Express from my computer. I did so and logged back into MyDashboard. When I attempted to re-download the maps I was again told to install Garmin Express. I did so and I was then informed that it installed correctly. However, the program is now so sluggish that it does not recognize my unit when plugged-in and won't let me register it.

What the hell is going on with your map update process? Is there a solution to my problems?

Frustrated and angry,

localinsight
03-30-2013, 08:38 PM
Registered & installed on new 50 lm sat aft. Garmin expresss
Did work. I had to exchange this am for a different 50 lm
@ best buy. Thought it was GPS. Used garmin express last
Week. Maybe that was the problem. First time I used it
Called garmin, said there was a glitch. Had no idea it didn't instAll.

UTAHBLDRBOB
04-01-2013, 07:17 AM
Wanting to update my Nuvi maps on 680. "Express" was installed as requested/required by Garmin. Updating has supposedly been working for 23+ hours and still not done, no sign of extent of progress. The cute little wheel just turns every couple of seconds, for 23 hours. This can't be right. Any suggestions? Let it keep going? Stop it? Call Garmin? Thanks for any ideas.

SUSSAMB
04-01-2013, 07:29 AM
2 to 3 hours maybe, 23 then something is wrong. Check your firewall or AV program isn't blocking the download.

UTAHBLDRBOB
04-01-2013, 08:34 AM
I called in to Garmin, and was helped by very nice person. Checked out the "garmin" file on Computer. Overloaded by all the extraneious languages. Deleted those, restarted process. About half done in 45 minutes. Success is in sight. Cheers.

MADMYKE
04-07-2013, 07:34 AM
I confirm, Garmin express is crap, since I use it I am not able to sue my Zumo 550 as new map seems each time be installed but when use the GPS NO amp are available and it is impossible to download or downgrade an earlier map version. This is ONE week now that my Garmin GPS is stuck :-((((

SUSSAMB
04-07-2013, 07:59 AM
Use GarminMapUpdater (http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.exe) instead :)

OBJECTREALITY@GMAIL.COM
04-26-2013, 11:52 AM
Use GarminMapUpdater (http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.exe) instead :)

Seriously Garmin - you got my money for the lifetime subscription for my GPS maps, but it took close to that to figure out express is (to quote another post) "crap".

Stop pushing proprietary software on your users when it clearly is .."crap". I shouldn't have to Google and search for "how tos" on something this easy (supposedly) to do.

SUSSAMB
04-26-2013, 11:56 AM
To be fair many have reported no problems with Express. However where there are problems it's easier for us to point folks at MapUpdater than to try to figure out why Express isn't working on a particular PC/setup. It's also worth saying that where folks have problems with Garmin GPS it's often due to lack of research before buying a product that'll do X whereas they wanted it to do Y, or something as simple as not reading the manual :)

HUYGENS_25
05-07-2013, 03:38 PM
Hi Sussmb, I am reading manual, both perfectly understanding what my GPS can do and what I want to do. I am a software engineer, I know my stuff and I know how to use Google.
I have installed Garmin Express on both OS X (10.8) and Windows 7. Install is successful, adding the device too, but the Garmin Express fails to connect to the update servers, either for checking for GPS device updates or for looking for Garmin Express software updates!! And this not a firewall problem, I have tried to deactivate it on the 2 platforms without better success. I have a residential D-Link router which does not do fancy firewalling stuff, simple NAT rules.
Garmin Map Updater at least is working! Hopefully Garmin Express will be fixed before the former is decommissioned...

SQUIRQUE
05-10-2013, 12:38 AM
Great GarminMapUpdater ;)

EBOEPPLE
05-12-2013, 01:33 AM
I can't get the map updater to recognize my Garmin Nuvi 260w either. The drive shows on the computer and garmin.com recognizes that it's plugged in, but neither Express (crap) or the old downloader works at all.

STUARTMW
05-12-2013, 09:06 AM
I had the same issue and found that an old (v3.0.11) version of GarminMapUpdater works.

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?34627-You-have-no-maps-to-reinstall-(Garmin-Express)&p=166525

LENCAN
05-12-2013, 11:49 AM
I purchased a nuvi 2445lmt in december and this weekend tried to update my maps - had to install Garmin express, download took about 2 hours and then it tried to build the map, but it couldn't - told me that the build failed - and to retry. Failed again! Retry & fail again!
Thought maybe I needed more space and cleaned out text & voices & helps for unneeded languages. Tried and retried a few times.

Had a cheap net machine running XP - installed expressed and after about 3-4 hours my maps were updated.

Will Garmin look into the MAC problem and come up with a solution - I have a lifetime update option, but I don't think my netbook will last that long!!!:rolleyes:

14WISHY@GMAIL.COM
05-12-2013, 02:40 PM
Garmin Express has wasted so much of my time trying to figure out how to get maps on.My Nuvi350 has been updated via disc and loader so easily in the past 8 years but this is a joke. 8gb SD card empty and Express cant even find it, install or anything.
Even to find how to email support is a joke. I basically said if they don't help before I leave for Europe again I'm with holding payment as Lifetime upgrade is "not fit for use" if I can't update.

I have managed to download the full City Navigator Europe NT 2013.41 file but how do I select regional maps to load as the file is over 2gb and it seems is too big to work on Nuvi350?

Any help very welcome

STUARTMW
05-12-2013, 02:46 PM
Have you tried GarminMapUpdater (http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.exe) (mentioned in this thread) or are you just ranting?

SUSSAMB
05-12-2013, 05:08 PM
I have managed to download the full City Navigator Europe NT 2013.41 file but how do I select regional maps to load as the file is over 2gb and it seems is too big to work on Nuvi350?

Any help very welcome

Downloaded it to where with what? To your PC? If so use Mapinstall to install the parts you want to your nuvi/sd card.

14WISHY@GMAIL.COM
05-12-2013, 05:22 PM
Sorry total newbie to all this as I'm sure you can tell. But as I said in the past I simply plugged in Nuvi and updated and it just worked.

I managed to get GarminMapUpdater to run, after 2 hours the whole euro map was downloaded to my PC. I copied the files to the nuvi SD card but obviously realise that it isn't this simple.
I have loaded both Mapsource and Mapinstall and I'm starting to see the light. I guess I have to delete the GarminMapUpdater files from the SD card and then just drop in all the selected files from one of the map packages.

I wish I'd found this forum 3 days ago rather than asking Garmin support for help.

SUSSAMB
05-12-2013, 05:28 PM
Yep, the Garmin map files can't be read directly by your GPS. Mapinstall or Mapsource will do it for you, sending the correct file to your GPS.

14WISHY@GMAIL.COM
05-12-2013, 05:41 PM
Thanks for that will post back when I get sorted or stuck! Mapsource seems the more in depth version just need to play a little. Thanks again.

KARLSTROBL
05-13-2013, 03:35 PM
GOSH. Thanks. That could have saved me countless hours of frustration. Excellent tip:

USD512@YAHOO.CO.UK
05-15-2013, 11:37 AM

Many thanks for your help. I am off to Germany next week and a sat nav with UK only would not be much use.

UILSO.ARAG@GMAIL.COM
05-16-2013, 12:06 PM
I downloaded the GarminMapUpdater and it all worked very well. I finally succeeded to download and update the maps in my Garmin 2415. Thanks again. Uilso

BETTINSON1@NTLWORLD.COM
05-19-2013, 08:14 AM
.... I was told the refund could only be done AFTER Garmin had investigated - the helpdesk for Garmin said 'up to 3 days' for response...fought with Halfords HO Customer service - refund agreed after much resistance. Why should customers engineer solutions? Why are Halfords selling products that cannot be supported? I sympathise with everyone - publicity is the only course of action you have....

Frustrated and angry,

CH.VOGEL@GMX.CH
05-19-2013, 06:59 PM
Had the same issue.
myGarmin forced me to use Garmin Express, got "Map update failed" error there, deleting temp files, reinstall, etc... didn't work.

The GarminMapUpdater (http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.exe) worked like a breeze and even had the additional option to install just parts of the map package to save space.

A real shame that Garmin forces a shiny new, but non-working update software on customers and doesn't even bother providing a link to the old, working version (unless you google the forums).

Device: Garmin nüvi 1490LMT

THEHAIRYONE
05-20-2013, 01:13 PM
How annoyed can a guy get while apparently doing a very simple task, I've been using garmin satnav for 12 years and I think I just went backwards. Garmin express should be renamed as "slow lane", I just got off the merry go round called map update, paid £74.99 to get wound up. As we have already seen the mapupdater is working as I sit here and I'll repeat the previously well worded question, why did we have to suffer second rate software testing ? I didn't ask to be a guinea pig ! Just use the old system that works and don't try to be clever, ' windows Vista' rings a bell here. If this is how garmin show their talent I'll be going to Tom Tom next time. Get your act together, your gonna lose customers and they are the ones that finance your business!!!

Rant over........unless this goes belly up too.

Garmin Zumo 550
Nuvi 200 w

IAN.BURNINGHAM@GMAIL.COM
05-21-2013, 05:22 PM
GOSH. Thanks. That could have saved me countless hours of frustration. Excellent tip:
I'm still struggling - when I try and use GarminMapUpdater it just opens up in text but won't launch as a program

Can anyone help? I have no maps at the moment!! Software seems up to date, but garmin express just hanging, and when I use the internet myGarmin/MyMaps option, i just go in circles... help

STUARTMW
05-21-2013, 05:55 PM
Sounds to me like your PC has major issues if GarminMapUpdater won't even start.

LEMONADESODA
06-01-2013, 10:41 AM
Garmin Express is a horror.

I have a 3490LM and it updated happily to map Europe 2013.30. However, it silently failed on .40 and on .41 it said the map was too big to fit, so I need to select a region only. Well, I need countries covered by Western Europe and Czech Republic and Poland also (part of Central Europe). Why can't I selection BOTH Western and Central (avoiding Eastern and Scandinavia which I don't need) which WILL fit on the internal RAM. Oh no.

So first I loaded Central Europe. OK, loaded. But now I want the UK, so want to swap out to the Western Europe map. Will Garmin Express let me do that? NO.

So thanks to this thread, I have loaded the old MapUpdater program. So much better. It also tells me that VOICE NAVIGATION is not available if I only choose a regional selection and not ALL Europe. WHAT! At least the info is provided...

WHY OH WHY goes Garmin force us onto this useless Express. And why does it force is to use only ONE fixed map selection. I would prefer to select THE COUNTRIES I NEED that yes would fit easily with 4GB let alone 8GB... and while we mention it... how about making the voice navigation available on individual maps... and let the user turn off 3D buildings to save space.

Grrrr. Hours wasted to get here... and I'm waiting for MapUpdater to download a map ALREADY AND PREVIOUSLY downloaded by Express. How annoying, esp. on limited GB internet plans!

SUSSAMB
06-01-2013, 10:50 AM
Well you can achieve what you want. Use Garmin MapUpdater to download the maps to your PC then MapInstall to install the parts you want to your GPS :)

MARCOGABBAI@GMAIL.COM
06-07-2013, 09:27 PM
Thank you for the link to the old mapupdater. Like others, I switched to Garmin express and have had nothing but problems. Unfortunately, I seem to be having the same problem with mapupdater. I downloaded the file and it gets hung-up on finding the unit. I get the same circle thing going round and round and it never seems to connect. I have unplugged and plugged the unit so many times. This is so frustrating. Prior to express I would be able to update in a matter of minutes, no problem....any ideas why updater is not working? Thanks.

STUARTMW
06-08-2013, 06:40 AM
You probably need GarminMapUpdater v3.0.11.

DNAREDONUVI1310
06-10-2013, 07:22 AM
To: STUARTMW

Greetings!

Thank you very much for the solution that you offered to JAZZEUR. I was also having the same problem this morning (Middle Eastern Time) after purchasing a map update online.

Kind regards,

SKIBUMMA70
06-11-2013, 08:38 AM
How does a company of this size and the reputation put out garbage software that makes it impossible for us to update. After a full day of updating and reupdating because the software gave me errors after the download was complete. I am back to square one. Even though I installed a 32 GB card, it doesn't recognize, and I was only able to download the eastern US states. What CRAP!!! I am calling to give someone a piece of my mind. Thank you for those who posted about the web updater. I am going to try that first before I lose my mind.

ELLI.DOWNER@FREE.FR
06-20-2013, 05:38 AM
Wanting to update my Nuvi maps on 680. "Express" was installed as requested/required by Garmin. Updating has supposedly been working for 23+ hours and still not done, no sign of extent of progress. The cute little wheel just turns every couple of seconds, for 23 hours. This can't be right. Any suggestions? Let it keep going? Stop it? Call Garmin? Thanks for any ideas.

Garmin Express chugged away for 12 hrs and then crashed my computer. Checked the nuvi which said maps had been updated. It lied, it had stripped all maps and left me with nothing!! Have sent repeated emails to Garmin Support UK, without response. Two days ago I phoned the 0808 tel.no., waited for 30 mins. to speak to someone called Shauna who checked my nuvi to confirm there were no maps on it. She promised to email 'Mapping Reload Instructions' - NOTHING HAS ARRIVED!!! Have emailed twice since, no response and NO EMAIL. I have to travel tomorrow and the nuvi with no maps is fit for nothing but for the bin. I consider that Garmin have stolen my money to leave me with a useless piece of kit. Will I buy a Garmin again / NEVER!!!!!!!! In the meantime does anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve this problem, without having to resort to paper maps???

SUSSAMB
06-20-2013, 06:09 AM
Run GarminMapUpdater (http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.exe) and see if that will update your maps. I take it you didn't back up your nuvi at any tme? If you did you should be able to copy the previous maps from your back up to get it working again.

ELLI.DOWNER@FREE.FR
06-20-2013, 07:54 AM
thank you SUSSAMB, am running GarminMapUpdater now, it says four hrs to download. It never occurred to me to back up the nuvi (1340) - don't even know how to do it ! Advice would be appreciated. A lesson learned !

SUSSAMB
06-20-2013, 08:03 AM
Just copy everything from your nuvi to somewhere safe on your hard drive. Note though that many of the files are in a hidden folder called .system so you need to set Windows Explorer to show hidden and system files first.

ELLI.DOWNER@FREE.FR
06-20-2013, 01:46 PM
Hi, thanks for the suggestion re. GarminMapUpdater, 8 hrs later the maps are back ! I've just found the new destinations for my journey and can see the maps, so hopefully they won't let me down on my trip into Wales.

I'll have a go at backing up the nuvi data onto my hard drive, thanks for the advice.

Still no response from Garmin Support UK, now I know about this forum, who needs them ?!
Thanks again

STUARTMW
06-20-2013, 01:53 PM
Both SUSSAMB and I recommend using GarminMapUpdater (http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.exe) instead of Garmin Express and have for many months.

SCRAPPY246
06-24-2013, 11:33 AM

Frustrated and angry,

I too am frustrated and angry, i've lost so much money today from spending too much time trying to load a frickin map i've just paid £75 for. How on earth does a company like Garmin survive without a web design team that know what they're doing? Oh, if you've got a mac then forget it!

SUSSAMB
06-24-2013, 11:48 AM
Is there a question there or are you just letting off steam? Perhaps if you tell us what you tried to do, how you tried to do it and what happened we could help ... worth pointing out that most problems end up being nothing to do with Garmin :)

MYFURMILY
06-24-2013, 02:36 PM
NO matter which process I try Garmin Express or GarminMapUpdater my pc tells me there is a virus and deletes the download so I can't do any updating. Any help would be appreciated. Nuvi 1300 btw in case the helps.

KGANSHIRT
06-28-2013, 08:49 PM
The obvious first step would be to turn off your virus checker until after the map is downloaded and installed. Just don't download other crap while it's disabled.

...ken...

RAYCIN313@YAHOO.COM
06-29-2013, 06:57 PM
How do you use it once it's downloaded? Thanks.

STAMPS143NUVI
06-29-2013, 08:08 PM

Frustrated and angry,

I to have wasted endless hours trying to get the " LIFETIME MAPS " Update to take.

I've even offered to ship the unit to Garmin at my own expense if they would update the unit for me and the representative stated they do not do this.

AMANDAMACINNIS@BELL.NET
07-01-2013, 09:44 PM
Garmin express is annoying as hell - why they keep changing things that worked perectly fine is beyond me......and who asked for Basecamp???? it is the worst program ever. Nothing wrong with Mapsource and far easier to use. I'm so frustrated after spending over $800 on a product thaat was supposed to make my ife easier it now makes my life more complicated than ever all the changes. LEAVE THINGS ALONE and I too cant get an updated map onto my computer as Im FORCED to use Express which sucks!!!!!!!!

SUSSAMB
07-02-2013, 12:00 AM
Well ranting won't help you :)

Basecamp is easy to use once you learn it, if you're having problems try watching the videos here http://www8.garmin.com/learningcenter/training/basecamp/

As for Express, many users are reporting success with it, some are struggling. Someone posted it works fine in Win 7 but not in XP. I can't comment on that but it certainly worked fine on my Win 7 machine when I tried it. Having said that many also prefer using the older GarminMapUpdater for PC (http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.exe) ... you might want to give that a go.

MALC77
07-02-2013, 05:53 AM
I've also got XP on both a pc and a laptop but Garmin Express has not let me successfully download map updates on either (and I only really want the UK map update and not full Europe - but I DO want to keep voice directions). It struggles for ages, is very confusing to use and has cost me £££ as the partial map downloads I do sometimes get have used many GB of data of my capped broadband allowance in the hours whilst it attempts to do something, and keeping me completely clueless as to what progress, if any, it's making.........So I think Garmin should do better!

Well ranting won't help you :)

Basecamp is easy to use once you learn it, if you're having problems try watching the videos here http://www8.garmin.com/learningcenter/training/basecamp/

As for Express, many users are reporting success with it, some are struggling. Someone posted it works fine in Win 7 but not in XP. I can't comment on that but it certainly worked fine on my Win 7 machine when I tried it. Having said that many also prefer using the older GarminMapUpdater for PC (http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.exe) ... you might want to give that a go.

SUSSAMB
07-02-2013, 06:58 AM
Have you tried the link to MapUpdater that I posted?

RGA2000
07-05-2013, 07:34 AM

I have a Garmin 1390LMT, tried the Garmin Express 3 times (7 hours each time) with no luck.
Read your post to uninstall Garmin Express and use the GarminMapUpdater, and the update worked!
Thanks!!

Randy
Too bad Garmin still hasn't fixed this yet (July 5th 2013)

DEMOGO
07-06-2013, 08:37 PM
I have a Garmin 1390LMT, tried the Garmin Express 3 times (7 hours each time) with no luck.
Read your post to uninstall Garmin Express and use the GarminMapUpdater, and the update worked!
Thanks!!

Randy
Too bad Garmin still hasn't fixed this yet (July 5th 2013)

I just suffered through a Garmin Express update session and it was nail biting.

I had 4 updates to do; the program wasn't smart enough to realize that there were dependencies on the order of the updates so it flashed the unit FW and then reset it while another update was being attempted. The gist is that after a 90+ min long session, only 1 of the updates were successful and after long delays the others eventually produced error messages and failed.

Ditto on my 2nd attempt. 1 of the remaining 3 tasks was successful.

Attempted to run mapupdater from link supplied here and it said my maps were up-to-date when they clearly weren't (unit is 1 year old and I hadn't updated the maps yet).

I finally went back to Garmin Express and decided to try it again but only allow it to update 1 thing per session and that got the job done for me.

Everything is now updated but in the future I'll only try to update one item per session and I suspect that'll work.

Garmin -- you deserve a kick in the pants (or in the crotch) for doing this to your customers. How hard would it have been to release a half-way decent, tested update program for your customers? How many customers have you lost by subjecting your customers to this nightmare?

TJB63
07-07-2013, 04:56 PM
I have a little different problem I didn't see posted here, I'm trying to update my Nuvi 1300LM and with the old Update program and the New Express, It won't update cause it tells me I need to load the Maps onto an SD card cause my unit doesn't have any space on it. The Only thing I have ever uploaded to my GPS is Garmin Map Updates, I only use it as a GPS, Not an MP3 Player, Not to view Photos etc.. So, Does anyone have any idea why it tells me the GPS doesn't have enough room? I've never had this problem with any other GPS, I have to say, Garmin used to be a leader in GPS, But they have really gone downhill in the last few years, to me, this is just another example. I shouldn't have this problem trying to update my maps. Thanks.

SUSSAMB
07-07-2013, 11:05 PM
Maps are getting larger all the time so eventually you run out of space. You can hardly blame Garmin for all the additional roads etc!

You have numerous options though. You could clear unnecessary files off your GPS, add a card or simply download a smaller map area. Mine for example came with a full EU map, but I just load Western Europe.

If you want to clear unneeded files see here http://forums.gpsreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=23713

It covers a 1490 but applies equally to your 1300.

TJB63
07-09-2013, 02:59 PM
Maps are getting larger all the time so eventually you run out of space. You can hardly blame Garmin for all the additional roads etc!

You have numerous options though. You could clear unnecessary files off your GPS, add a card or simply download a smaller map area. Mine for example came with a full EU map, but I just load Western Europe.

If you want to clear unneeded files see here http://forums.gpsreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=23713

It covers a 1490 but applies equally to your 1300.

Thanks Sussamb,

I followed your link, Delete a bunch of unnecessary files, So far it is downloading Updates, hopefully all will go well.

Thanks again.

ELLISZ
07-09-2013, 08:31 PM
I have the Nuvi 1490 LMT and I get get the Garmin Express or the map updater above to see my device. When I plug the GPS in, it does its thing and I get prompted by dropbox and I see Garmin Nuvi in my computer drive list but the updater won't acknowledge the GPS is attached. I tried on another computer and have tried multiple USB cables.

If I try on a clean PC, do I need to install the Garmin drivers 1st or does it matter? I would like to update this thing. I bought it for the Lifetime maps and can't get it to update.

Thanks

SUSSAMB
07-09-2013, 11:35 PM
What you do need is the Communicator plug in ... click on this link http://www8.garmin.com/products/communicator/

Is yours installed and working correctly? With your nuvi connected does it see it

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g364/sussamb/nuvi/Capture-1_zps59afc157.jpg

If not click on the bit where it says 'don't see your device'

ELLISZ
07-10-2013, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the reply. Odd thing happened after I posted - it finally detected the GPS. I had been trying off and on the last 2 weeks and could never get a response. Express was picking it up initially but it would never finish the install. After uninstalling it, I could never get the updater to see the GPS. I deleted a few files to free up some space and then it saw it. Does not make much sense but I got it updated!

EPAL63
07-11-2013, 09:02 AM

Hi, I have nuvi 255w. Similarly, after I tried updating the map using Garmin Express, I have problems with my nuvi 255w in that
(1) the device does not boot with the map when use in the normal mode;
(2) my computer (Win 7, 32bit) cannot even detect the device when connected with the usb;

I sent emails to garmin and did not get any response.

Appreciate it if anyone has any idea how to resolve this ?

Thanks in advance.

NBRASSARD
07-13-2013, 09:35 AM

Thanks a lot - I kept getting an "Unknown connection error" when trying to update my map with Garmin Express - I followed your suggestion and it worked without a hitch!

JABROWN65
07-13-2013, 10:34 PM
I have GarminMapUpdater but it says I have the latest version of the map, when clearly I don't. I can't find any way of downloading it from garmin.com. Every download link starts downloading Garmin Express with a message that Garmin express will update the map, which clearly it doesn't. Hpw do I download the latest map from garmin in a way which doesn't involve downloading Express?

I've tried deleting the map folder and it Express starts the download again, but still fails.

John

SUSSAMB
07-15-2013, 12:27 AM
Run MapUpdater and you should see a line underneath the part that says your maps are up to date that says 'Enter a product code' or something similar. Click on that and enter the code for the map update you want. That code will be available via myMaps when you log onto myGarmin.

SGILMOUR2932
07-20-2013, 07:21 PM
I am having the same problem as post #63. However, I don't see anywhere to enter a product code. Here is what my Map Updater looks like. The only map it shows is a Onetime map for North America, but I purchased lifetime maps for North America and Europe.

Any idea what I'm missing? The link "Looking for something different" just goes to Garmin where the only option is the Garmin Express download link.

Thanks,

Steve

Run MapUpdater and you should see a line underneath the part that says your maps are up to date that says 'Enter a product code' or something similar. Click on that and enter the code for the map update you want. That code will be available via myMaps when you log onto myGarmin.

PEREDURABEFROG
07-23-2013, 01:31 PM
.... I was told the refund could only be done AFTER Garmin had investigated - the helpdesk for Garmin said 'up to 3 days' for response...fought with Halfords HO Customer service - refund agreed after much resistance. Why should customers engineer solutions? Why are Halfords selling products that cannot be supported? I sympathise with everyone - publicity is the only course of action you have....

Much the same experience here except that Halfords were wonderful. Checked out the device. Agreed it wasn't working (kept rebooting after update). Swapped the (out of warranty) 1490 for a new 2548 on the spot. Have emailed Halfords nationally to praise the store staff.

PAE

KAWAHERP
07-24-2013, 11:05 AM
I have complained to gamin a number of times but have had no luck gamin express does not work makes my pc slow and none responsive they still have not fixed it

SUSSAMB
07-24-2013, 12:53 PM
Are you running the latest version ... http://download.garmin.com/omt/express/B/GarminExpressInstaller.exe

While there are still issues with Express it does work :)

PAUL.WHITE.SPAMCATCHER@GOOGLEMAIL.COM
08-02-2013, 12:16 AM
Are you running the latest version ... http://download.garmin.com/omt/express/B/GarminExpressInstaller.exe

While there are still issues with Express it does work :)

It does work - badly! After 8 hours of trying to update my 3790 and the 5th download error, I've given up with Express and now attempting the update with GarminUpdater.

Express is one of the biggest crocks I've had the misfortune to use :mad:

SUSSAMB
08-02-2013, 12:58 AM
Yet others have no issues with it whatsoever. I can only conclude that it likes some PC setups, but not others :)

MLM157
08-02-2013, 06:19 AM
Thank you for the help

DERBYDAD03
08-04-2013, 07:33 AM
Yet others have no issues with it whatsoever. I can only conclude that it likes some PC setups, but not others :)

Last week I tried to use Garmin Express on a PC running Windows 7. It was the first time I tried updating my 350 with this computer. Garmin Express failed twice, never getting past about 35%.

The thing I noticed is that both times I checked on the progress, my system had gone to sleep. When I woke the system up, I saw the progress bar and time left to complete, but it then immediately gave me the failure message. Since the same thing happened twice, I decided to try something different.

I went into the Control Panel and set the Power Options to:

"Turn Off The Display: Never"
"Put The Computer To Sleep: Never".

The update sailed right through with no errors. Coincidence? Maybe, but in the end the 350 was updated.

SUSSAMB
08-04-2013, 09:47 AM
Well if the computer goes to 'sleep' you may indeed have problems :)

STUARTMW
08-04-2013, 10:13 AM
Well if the computer goes to 'sleep' you may indeed have problems :)
The same thing happens to me. Each morning I wake up and it's a "whole new day" and I have to start over :D

SUSSAMB
08-04-2013, 11:00 AM
Just be glad you wake up :p

DWBRANT
08-08-2013, 06:54 AM
I recently purchased a 2557LMT (as in, three days ago). The first evening, I installed / ran Garmin Express, and was optimistic when the application said that it was installing updates ... not so optimistic when it hadn't progressed to 20% done by bed-time. I left the computer on all night, and when I checked it in the morning (some eight hours later), it hadn't progressed past 80%. I cancelled the update.

I then discovered that Express was holding connections open on my PC, after I thought that I had stopped Express. Even when it didn't show in the Windows 7 system tray, it was slowing down my wireless internet to an unusable pace. As soon as I uninstalled Express, my internet resumed working ... I am glad this forum exists so that I could find a work-around to my problem.

JL2003
08-10-2013, 12:55 AM
Thanks, great help

LISASCHULMAN
08-12-2013, 03:35 PM
This person is correct. After a weekend of messing around with Garmin, installing then uninstalling Express, installing and uninstalling Updater, I finally reached a person at Garmin who knew the answer. It all comes down to this simple fix. Apparently, this specific version of Mac automatically puts the computer to sleep every 15 minutes. This disconnects Garmin from the computer, aborting the downloading of maps (I had to reinstall my maps because my Garmin said they weren't loaded correctly). All you have to do is go into System Preferences, select Hardware/Energy Saver, and take that first bar only and move it all the way to the right so it aligns with NEVER. Then try to re-run the whole thing. Express has not been a problem.

Last week I tried to use Garmin Express on a PC running Windows 7. It was the first time I tried updating my 350 with this computer. Garmin Express failed twice, never getting past about 35%.

The thing I noticed is that both times I checked on the progress, my system had gone to sleep. When I woke the system up, I saw the progress bar and time left to complete, but it then immediately gave me the failure message. Since the same thing happened twice, I decided to try something different.

I went into the Control Panel and set the Power Options to:

"Turn Off The Display: Never"
"Put The Computer To Sleep: Never".

The update sailed right through with no errors. Coincidence? Maybe, but in the end the 350 was updated.

PJGILDONE@OH.RR.COM
08-15-2013, 11:28 AM
Having a very similar problem with getting map updates.

Frustrated and angry,

DJVARGENT@GMAIL.COM
08-19-2013, 03:48 PM
Garmin Express problems persist. Does anyone from Garmin ever look at this thread. What a mess!!

NDGOCASH
08-21-2013, 04:28 PM
Spent a couple of frustrating hours trying to solve the Garmin Express "failed to install" problem (also spent about 45 minutes on hold with the Garmin customer service center). The program would say "downloading file 1 of 192", then it crashed. Then "downloading file 2 of 192" after restarting the program. Ugh! Scoured forum pages, Googled the daylights out of the problem. GarminMapUpdater did not work, nor did a host of other Garmin software for Mac. Found that after disabling my Sophos antivirus, the Garmin Express update worked. Hope this helps someone save some time!

BIGJONBEAR
08-21-2013, 07:36 PM
Dear Garmin, your Garmin Express software is total crap. I'm a software tester. Look up "software tester". You need a bunch of them. It wouldn't hurt to read your customer's posts and actually do something about it once in a while. Have a nice day while I'm in my 9th hour of downloading maps.

BINGRAM1
08-22-2013, 10:18 AM
Had an update this morning. downloaded for about 2 hours then got the dreaded error message. I found out that my express said I didnt have the latest version and that it would update it the next time I started it. I exited out and restarted it and it didnt update so I uninstalled it and reinstalled it and it finally said I had the latest version. However, I tried to download the new map and I still got the error message. I installed the old map updater and it downloaded and installed just fine. keep express so that you will know if theres any updates, but use the old map updater to install them.

MADMAXBICHON@SYMPATICO.CA
08-22-2013, 01:17 PM
I suddenly noticed Garmin Express using a lot of CPU and automatically downloading a map update for North America (2014-20) so I let it run. Finally it got to about 92% downloaded when it stopped as it encountered a problem. I was given the choice to "try again' and "ignore" the problem but even though I tried both options a few times each, it never could get past 92% downloaded. Finally after a few fruitless tries, I uninstalled Garmin Express completely and updated with Garmin Updater... though it took awhile, it updated with no problem. Needless to say, I will not be reinstalling Garmin Express. I will manually check every few months for map updates and if one is needed, I will use Garmin Updater.

DONGREEN
08-24-2013, 12:35 PM
My pretty happy experience:

After quite a while without updates, partly because last time I remember it was a PITA, I looked for the latest update software for my Garmin Nuvi 1490. Found Garmin.Express, so downloaded & installed it. Then plugged in my Nuvi via USB to my computer. No response. Tried a different USB cable ... no response. Eventually happened to find the 'official' Garmin USB cable -- it worked! (Parenthetical complaint that, really, Garmins should just be compliant with the USB cables that everyone else uses.)

Nuvi went through a longish boot, with a green line slowly moving across the screen. When that stopped, Garmin Express was still telling me to plug in my device. It said to unplug & re-plug, which I did. Same slow green line. ... and then, still, ... nothing. Garmin Express telling me to plug it in. Feeling discouraged. Tried closing & re-opening Garmin Express, doing the same thing ... no joy.

Closed Garmin Express, & plugged in my Nuvi. Windows then found & installed a driver for my Nuvi.

Re-tried Garmin Express ... and (after a longish wait) it found my Nuvi! It reported 4 updates being available: Firmware Update for GTMxx Traffic Receiver, Firmware Update (I guess, for the Nuvi generally), Voice, British English - Emily, and nuMaps Lifetime North America. I was pleased that it recognized my Nuvi's serial number and I didn't have to convince Garmin.Express that I'd bought lifetime maps. I had it do the updates. (From fear of problems, I had it do each one separately. No idea if that mattered.)

One nice improvement: Previously I'd had to fight to get the map and the extras just on the internal memory -- my SD card didn't seem to help. This time, Garmin.Express said there wasn't enough room to put the updated map all on the internal memory, so could it use the SD card? I said yes. (Unless I was using the Garmin to smuggle illegal datafiles, why else would I have put an SD card in it?) Update proceeded.

The map update took ~ 1/2 hr., but I could see from 'progress' that it wasn't locked. Then got screen "Your device is up to date!" YEA! But, a little oddly, it also had a hot box "check for updates". Why should I check for updates if my Nuvi is up to date? But, anyway, I clicked "check for updates" and ... the same 4 updates came up. WTF?? Not knowing what else to do, and hoping that maybe there were sequential updates (have to install one, then a later one, instead of just one full update), I went through the same update installations again, worrying that they hadn't taken, or ... all sorts of things. Happily ... at the end of that worrying ... Garmin.Express had worked perfectly! Really. I clicked the "check for updates" and got no new updates. Yea!!!

So, Garmin.Express is a big improvement over the MapUpdater, because Garmin.Express worked so nicely. But, it still needs a little work. Obviously, some people have a miserable experience with it and whatever causes that needs to be fixed. Also, if there are sequential updates, there should be a notice on the "Your device is up to date!" screen, saying to try "check for updates" again because sometimes there are multiple updates that have to be done sequentially.

Also, the "extras" menu found no available extras for my Garmin ... no languages, etc. That's not correct, but mostly I just am happy to have a working and updated Garmin.

PLARKINJR
08-26-2013, 07:15 PM
Wish I could say same... I have a 7-9Mbps DSL connection, Win7, 2595LMT. Watched Garmin Express run for about 2 hrs till it errored out, and said it would try again. No change after 2 more hours.. Restarted and it showed 24% for about 3 hours with no progress. Started the old MapUpdater about 4 hours ago and at that time is said there were 53 hours remaining. Now the green bar is about 33% complete and it says 17hours left. Hope windows update doesnt decide it needs me to reboot any time soon.

ETA: no progress for over 100 minutes. :(

morning ETA: OK, weird - MapUpdater did not move after 9 hours. So I relaunched Express and now it is 69% complete and ripping along at 500+ KB/s. </Bewildered>

ETA: ...and now for the past hour, Express has not made any further progress beyond 77%, citing 0 KB/s rate. >sigh< Good thing I started this update 4 days before my big trip!

ETA: ... 24 hours later, no progress on Express. Launched Updater v3.2.2 several times, selecting the option to keep the temporary files.... and it just spins on "calculating" for hours. Pause/Resume, Kill/relaunch, same. I guess I won't be getting 2014.20 before my trip. Maybe later I can get it, but by then maybe .21 will be out.

STUARTMW
08-26-2013, 07:17 PM
https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?35362-Map-update-problem-with-Garmin-Express&p=170079#post170079

PLARKINJR
08-27-2013, 06:37 AM
https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?35362-Map-update-problem-with-Garmin-Express&p=170079#post170079

Yesterday I thought that was the best advice I've had in months. Today I'm not so sure. But Express doesnt seem to have an option to install the map on the PC. Mapupdater gave me that option, but stalled after a few hours and make no progress for another 10+ hours.

STUARTMW
08-27-2013, 07:56 AM
Well I've never had such a long stall problem although I have seen brief (a few minutes) ones. Others sometimes complaint of the same issue.

I'd try pausing/resuming the download.

Another trick is to tick the "save temporary files" tickbox in the advanced options. That way if you cancel the program and restart it the files you already received aren't downloaded again. I always tick this option.

PLARKINJR
08-28-2013, 06:55 AM
Well I've never had such a long stall problem although I have seen brief (a few minutes) ones. Others sometimes complaint of the same issue.

I'd try pausing/resuming the download.

Another trick is to tick the "save temporary files" tickbox in the advanced options. That way if you cancel the program and restart it the files you already received aren't downloaded again. I always tick this option.

No such luck.
Oddly, though, MapUpdater says 2014.20 has already been installed. And so does My Dashboard.
Yet, it does not appear in Basecamp, and I cannot figure out where to see on the device what map is installed.

STUARTMW
08-28-2013, 07:06 AM
Oddly, though, MapUpdater says 2014.20 has already been installed. And so does My Dashboard.

To my knowledge Garmin's software does not check the unit to see what maps are installed on it. Instead it checks their servers and if you've downloaded them once before it assumes the device is up-to-date. I base this on my experience of using the clone method (https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?37155-Update-sequence-for-1490&p=179132) of updating my 1490T.

If GarminMapUpdater (http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.exe) says the maps are already loaded just say YES to the prompt to re-install them. Did you try that? Also did you get rid of Garmin Express? Yes that's what Garmin wants you to use but it is problematic for some. GarminMapUpdater seems to have a greater success rate (and it's what I use).

PLARKINJR
08-28-2013, 07:50 AM
Yeah, I tried the YES to reinstall. So, here's the latest:
I killed both express and updater, noticed there was still a garmin process running which I could not kill. Rebooted, tried launching updater and it threw all kinds of errors. Launched express and said to just install on PC, disconnected Nuvi and moved it to another PC I rarely use for Garmin. Launched updater, said YES, and to install to device + PC, and keep temporary files, and let'er rip. Estimating 4 hrs to complete.

Meanwhile back at the machine with express, it has finally resumed downloading "nuMaps Lifetime 2014.20" at 73%, ~700KB/s. I've paused updater on the other machine to dedicate my bandwidth to this one due to complete in 20mins.

Presumably if that completes I can install the files to the Nuvi later, but in the meantime they'll be in Basecamp (which I wanted anyway too).

STUARTMW
08-28-2013, 07:55 AM
One issue with Garmin Express is that it uses the Microsoft BITS service to download stuff in the background.

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?45992-Garmin-Express-amp-Background-Intelligent-Transfer-Service-(BITS)

GarminMapUpdater is a straight up app. It doesn't "install" you just run it. No services, no install/uninstall and for most it just works.

JCLABO@COMCAST.NET
08-28-2013, 04:26 PM

I had the same problem thanks for the quick fix. Jon A. Clabo

SUSSAMB
08-30-2013, 08:26 AM
For those interested more detail here on what now happens in Express should your device not have enough space. First, you're offered some options (there is a third option which may appear if appropriate offering advice to free up space on your GPS):

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g364/sussamb/nuvi/Capture1_zps9a67dfe0.jpg

If you elect for smaller map region you'll get something like this:

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g364/sussamb/nuvi/Capture_zps189aabb7.jpg

Note the drop down box saying Device and Computer, other options are Device Only or Computer only.

YONAXZ
08-31-2013, 03:56 AM
After 3 hours of downloading the map data, Garmin Express seems to be stuck at "Updates in progress" with 100% : 0 KB/s : 0 min and 0.5% CPU load on the program itself.

Should I continue to let the program run or kill it and try again (or try Map Updater)?

Device is a nüvi 3590LMT, software version 7.90.

SUSSAMB
08-31-2013, 04:01 AM
Well first the program downloads the data to your PC, then builds the map itself to send to your GPS. I'd wait awhile ... if still nothing after another hour I'd kill it and use MapUpdater :)

YONAXZ
08-31-2013, 04:11 AM
Never mind, I just checked again not expecting anything different than before and suddenly I'm greeted with Installing : 20% : 6.6 MB/s : 13 min.

The program only using 0.1-0.5% CPU made me think it's just idling and doing nothing, but apparently it was building the maps albeit very slowly (which seemed odd as my CPU is a 2600K@4.7GHz with an SSD to boot, so not exactly harm strung by any bottleneck ;) ).

Thanks for the answer though SUSSAMB.

SUSSAMB
08-31-2013, 04:25 AM
Yeah, it can take a while to move off the 0% :)

Express is said to throttle itself to ensure you can still use your PC so perhaps that was it if you were doing other things with your PC at the time.

SUSSAMB
08-31-2013, 11:06 AM
New Garmin Express version is now 2.3.7.0, given that the last was 2.2.21 the version numbering is as confusing as Express, but this latest version has a completely new GUI ... whether it will work any better only time will tell :confused:

STUARTMW
08-31-2013, 11:12 AM
Ok....

Where do you get 2.3.7 from??? Installed 2.2.21 into a virtual machine. It didn't update. All the links I know of at Garmin point to 2.2.21.

2.3.7 must be a state secret.

SUSSAMB
08-31-2013, 11:21 AM
Yep, I had trouble finding it when someone mentioned it elsewhere ... just try clicking on the update link within 2.2.21 ...

Strangely (although maybe not) if you try the download from the Garmin Express webpage you still get 2.2.21 :mad:

STUARTMW
08-31-2013, 11:24 AM
What update link? I wasted 10 mins looking for an update feature in 2.2.12. Glad I have no plans to use GE.

If I can figure it out I'll find out where it gets 2.3.7 from and post the link.

SUSSAMB
08-31-2013, 11:33 AM
You need the Settings, About tab :)

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g364/sussamb/nuvi/Capture_zpsed436e8a.jpg

STUARTMW
08-31-2013, 11:55 AM
Garmin Express 2.3.7.0 direct download (http://downloadg.garmin.com/omt/express/windows/2.3.7.0/GarminExpressInstaller_2.3.7.0.exe?garmindlm=13780 57566_40a22b4bce3e9d9039f13202d8de6bfd) link.

Digital signature time: ‎Wednesday, ‎August ‎28, ‎2013 13:46:19

Ok I've got 2.3.7.0 installed in a WinXP SP3 virtual machine so I can try things out. For actual stuff I'll continue to use WebUpdater (http://www8.garmin.com/webupdater) and GarminMapUpater (http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.exe).

IMO the GUI of 2.3.7.0 is better than 2.2.21 which I found confusing.

ALEX111@OPTUSNET.COM.AU
08-31-2013, 06:23 PM
Wanting to update my Nuvi maps on 680. "Express" was installed as requested/required by Garmin. Updating has supposedly been working for 23+ hours and still not done, no sign of extent of progress. The cute little wheel just turns every couple of seconds, for 23 hours. This can't be right. Any suggestions? Let it keep going? Stop it? Call Garmin? Thanks for any ideas.after installing Express software , run update for the software and then u sould be able to download maps. :-)

T923347
09-01-2013, 02:31 PM
I've yet to figure out how you can change the name of a device in 2.3.7.0 although it was pretty easy in older versions. Overall though I like the GUI in this new release better.

SUSSAMB
09-01-2013, 03:17 PM
It's there as I saw it but I've now uninstalled it so can't help :(

(Good to see you across here :))

TNSPRIN
09-06-2013, 06:43 AM
On older units that have size limitation Garmin Express will not work. It always tries full intalls. For example on Nuvi 670 the mapsize for the Europe map will not ever fit. For awhile you have had to limit which maps are installed for Europe. This is a limit of the max file size on the Fat system used for files. Others will find the increasing map size for North America no longer fitting with whatever other stuff you have installed on your nuvi.

LETHANH11
09-14-2013, 10:16 AM
My Nuvi 1490LMT get update NA 2014.20 with Garmin Express. I see the Micro SD 16Gb has the Folder Garmin with gmappupdate = 0KB, and the folder Map with 3 files on it (gmapupdate, gmapupdate, gmapupdate).

There is no map when I turn on the garmin 1490, Please help

SUSSAMB
09-14-2013, 10:18 AM
What do you see when you go to Tools>Settings>Map>Map Info?

LETHANH11
09-14-2013, 12:21 PM
What do you see when you go to Tools>Settings>Map>Map Info?

There are nothing at Map Info

EMILNJ
09-15-2013, 04:50 PM
I have the latest version of garmin express version 2.3.12.0 for my Nuvi 2460LMT on a Windows 7 64 Bit PC. I notice that the Extra's tab doesn't have any extra's displayed for any category (Vehicals, Bundles, voices). There used to be many downloads displayed, now nothing at all. Think this is a bug. Anyone else notice this?

SUSSAMB
09-16-2013, 12:03 AM
I've got that also ... does seem like a bug.

EMILNJ
09-19-2013, 05:43 PM
I notice when I do not have my garmin attached to my pc, the Extra's tab categories might be populated with selections, but when my garmin is connected there are no extra's populated. And It's not because I have downloaded/installed the extra's to my Garmin.

OZBIRD
09-20-2013, 03:06 PM
Is there a way to "educate" Garmin Express to install _all_ of the map data instead of leaving half of it at the old version?!
I tried running Garmin Map Updater as well, but it also failed to update all of the map (Esperance, Broken Hill etc.)

MapInstall - manually selecting the entire region - did the trick.

City Navigator Australia and New Zealand NT 2013.40 -> 2014.20 (Same problem with the last update after Garmin Express was introduced.)

Cheers!

P.S. Is there a way to restore the GPS (nuvi 765) to factory defaults?

SUSSAMB
09-21-2013, 02:12 AM
Just hard reset your 765 .... see here http://forums.gpsreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=21511

Not sure about educating Express, but I have Western Europe installed in my nuvi and Express always offers to install the full EU map. Just click on Updates and then the Reinstall/Change map link.

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g364/sussamb/nuvi/Capture_zps198b99c3.jpg
In MapUpdater look for the view options button bottom left and select the area you want.

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g364/sussamb/nuvi/Second_zps398fe6ef.jpg

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g364/sussamb/nuvi/third_zpsdf6ffb34.jpg

GEORGE@WSMFAIRS.FREESERVE.CO.UK
09-22-2013, 02:22 PM
Hello.

How do you totally uninstall garmin express, in add/remove
files when i click remove it just comes up with a box install
garmin express??????

PLARKINJR
09-23-2013, 07:19 AM
Hello.

How do you totally uninstall garmin express, in add/remove
files when i click remove it just comes up with a box install
garmin express??????

I've never tried it on Garmin Express, but I've had really good success with a tool called "Revo Uninstaller". You might google it, install it, and give it a try.

SUSSAMB
09-23-2013, 07:23 AM
What version of Windows are you using? On Win7 it shows in Control Panel, Uninstall Programs list ... and can be simply selected and uninstalled. Garmin's FAQ is here for other versions:

http://iqc.garmin.com/eCustomer/KODSelfService/request.do?session={8ac8d570-2453-11e3-edda-000000000000}&event=1&view()=c%7Bdf6c6c40-425e-11e2-e8a7-000000000000%7D&objectId=&eksObjectId=&objectType=Case&isJumpEnabled=false&isContentJumpEnabled=false&vendorKey=&versionId=105&objectScore=96&from=results

MULLHAUPT1
09-29-2013, 06:25 PM
I finally got it to work after 24 hours of messing with it. I already downloaded the maps for 2014-20 but couldnt get express to install maps or configure. so what I did was uninstall express and reinstall from there web site while my garmin was plugged in. I opened app and started to up date and it all worked, it installed maps in 40 minutes and finally done. I figured my garmin wouldnt update anymore and I was going to have to get a new one, but no I was wrong Nuvi 2596lmt

JERRYBBS
10-02-2013, 06:44 PM
My problem with the Express update is that the "keyboard" for entering information-like addresses-is the wrong aspect ratio. The left and right-most keys are cutoff. How do I fix that?

SUSSAMB
10-02-2013, 11:05 PM
What keyboard in Express?

SESEBRUT@GMAIL.COM
10-07-2013, 04:31 PM
Well, after my 10+ years of fighting with Garmin update software, it looks like nothing has changed. Once a year I go on vac. and try to update the old Zumo 550, and there's a new batch of 'improved' download/install klugey prog's. to overcome.

I'm currently running Express and trying to get the whole lower 49 -- and what do I get? The southwest only, with no choice of anything else. Garmin seems to remember my last regional update and that's what I get from then on whether I want it or not.

And that's been that way for some years already.

So the more things change, the less better it gets.

Sigh...

J. in CO

SUSSAMB
10-07-2013, 11:00 PM
You may find it easier to use GarminMapUpdater for PC (http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.exe) ... Change what you want to download by clicking on the View Options button that appears bottom left.

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g364/sussamb/nuvi/Second_zps398fe6ef.jpg

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g364/sussamb/nuvi/third_zpsdf6ffb34.jpg

KRAMERWA
10-18-2013, 10:28 AM
This is unreal, purchased lifetime updates and the past two have taken well over 2 days. The last update in March-April was heading down to DC on the NJ Turnpike and the unit kept telling me to make a U turn at each of the emergency turn around (all of them, at least it was accurate as to where they are), and every exit to send me north. When I got home reloaded the software and seemed OK. Now for the past 2 days I have attempting to download the latest version from H@*&. This is the 5th time I have attempted to download and install, installs to about 80-85% then fails says to try again. I tried to use my Garmin, and there are NO POI, my locations were saved, but there is no arrows to see turn offs, you are driving along side the road and no street road information. You try to email their support after already logging in and you have to re log in but the log in box disappears. Nice way to get around not supporting your products. I will try the older version of the software as someone else has suggested after the 6th attempt is completed.

SUSSAMB
10-18-2013, 10:42 AM
I assume it's the maps you're talking about as at one point you talk about 'reloading the software' :confused:

Two days is way beyond what most folks experience, so my guess is that something is wrong with your PC setup. Are you able to try an update using someone else's PC?

In any case try MapUpdater rather than Express, link is in the post above yours.

SHOLLIM
10-20-2013, 03:23 AM
Hi, I have litle problem. I have garmin model nuvi 2445 buyed last year. The problem is that when I conected my garmin with comp and updated with garmin express on my GPS device writed, offcourse after 1-2 min, "Device was successfully updated. there are additional updates that require a restart. Do you want to restart device noe?" and when I restarted I compaire again this messagge and so on for 100 times.
What can I do. Is need to restart til realy finish all updates, beacuse I put some language updates also.
Please halp me.
Thnaks

SUSSAMB
10-20-2013, 03:35 AM
Sounds like Express is incorrectly reporting updates. Try WebUpdater (http://www8.garmin.com/products/webupdater/howtoinstall.jsp) and see what it reports.

SHOLLIM
10-20-2013, 04:07 AM
Sounds like Express is incorrectly reporting updates. Try WebUpdater (http://www8.garmin.com/products/webupdater/howtoinstall.jsp) and see what it reports.

I just traied now with WebUpdater but it write some erroe: " No devices were found.Plese make sure your device is connected to the PC and turrned on , than try again. You may also need to set the interface option on your's GPS to "Garmin" or "Host" "

What does mean?

SHOLLIM
10-21-2013, 12:19 PM
Hello....some halp more???

SUSSAMB
10-21-2013, 12:24 PM
I'm not sure but you may need to set your GPS to mass storage mode for WebUpdater to see it. To do so:

1. Start NUVI by itself and go to Volume Screen.
2. Press the upper right hand corner of screen for 10 seconds.
3. The Developers Screen will pop up
4. Scroll down to MTP SETTINGS
5. Change from AUTO DETECT to MASS STORAGE
6. Shut down NUVI and connect to PC
7. It should now connect in mass storage mode.

CAROL@CAROLDIXON.COM
10-21-2013, 12:35 PM
Well said HUYGENS_25! I'm a professional ICT consultant/software developer who bought lifetime maps. I'm shocked how 'flaky' Express is. Feels like I've been conned. Would be cheaper (in terms of my time investment) to just buy a new device, but I'm too Eco-conscious to do that.

SUSSAMB
10-21-2013, 12:43 PM
Yet many report excellent success with Express .... :confused:

SHOLLIM
10-21-2013, 02:41 PM
I'm not sure but you may need to set your GPS to mass storage mode for WebUpdater to see it. To do so:

1. Start NUVI by itself and go to Volume Screen.
2. Press the upper right hand corner of screen for 10 seconds.
3. The Developers Screen will pop up
4. Scroll down to MTP SETTINGS
5. Change from AUTO DETECT to MASS STORAGE
6. Shut down NUVI and connect to PC
7. It should now connect in mass storage mode.

I did it like you sad, but my nuvi when you press in right corner for 10 sec it appair some information about software and hardware, some audi test, picture ...

I cant find that MTP SETTINGS.

???

SUSSAMB
10-21-2013, 03:04 PM
Are you sure you were on the volume screen (see Point 1)?

SHOLLIM
10-21-2013, 03:19 PM
OK, I fined it. I puted on mass storage and shot down and connect to PC.
And what now? What I should see?

SHOLLIM
10-21-2013, 03:27 PM
I connnected also with WebUpdater now and didnt find me so many updates . Onlz updates for voic in diffrent languages. This ware option 1. and option 2. is to reinstall the same version (I think of same sofware).
It will deleted something if I reinstall the same version?

SUSSAMB
10-21-2013, 11:32 PM
Nope, but unless you have a problem why would you want to?

GUSMARU
10-24-2013, 06:57 PM
Thanks SUSSAMB

Before I followed your instructions I was getting a generic "problem transferring update 0002000" error message. Once I forced my Nuvi 2555 to always go into Mass Storage mode the transfer of the update happened without any issues.

Thanks again!

POPOTNIKPP
10-26-2013, 03:42 PM
When i try to download to Pc CN 2014.30 Garmin express give me this error : garmin elevated install has encountered a problem and must shut down.
Map still download but never install.

Anybody have the same problem?

p.s.
I try also with map updater and have again problem, map updater has encountered a problem and must shut down and i can't install CN 2014.30 to Pc, but i can install on garmin with no problem.

PHERBERT58
10-26-2013, 04:26 PM
Just loaded Garmin Express on a MacBook Pro. It loaded fine but now I can't install updates because the install now button is below the dock and there's no way to expand the screen or simply tab to install now button.

MASCERNO
11-06-2013, 11:42 AM
This solution resolved my inability to load Garmin Express. In fact, I skipped the Express Uninstall and went directly to downloading GarminMapUpdater at the listed url. Worked slick and took about 1.5 hours.

SUSSAMB
11-06-2013, 12:57 PM
It's funny in a weird way. Some have no issues with Express, some have issues with MapUpdater. I have no issues with either on my Win7 PC but need to use an older MapUpdater version on my laptop as the latest just freezes.

I can only conclude there is nothing wrong with either Express or Updater ... Just issues with our PCs.

KENHAM
11-23-2013, 12:27 PM
Reinstall your GPS's software first using Garmin WebUpdater.

Worked for me on my MacBook Pro.

PAM_GRIMM@YAHOO.COM
11-24-2013, 11:09 PM
To be fair many have reported no problems with Express. However where there are problems it's easier for us to point folks at MapUpdater than to try to figure out why Express isn't working on a particular PC/setup. It's also worth saying that where folks have problems with Garmin GPS it's often due to lack of research before buying a product that'll do X whereas they wanted it to do Y, or something as simple as not reading the manual :)

I'll chime in with the rest. First, downloading the Express caused my computer to freeze completely. I had to force a shut down. When I returned it was there among programs. Of course, it would not recognize my GPS. Went back to Garmin website. It gave me a page long explanation as to how to accomplish this. Come one, I'm not at work with an IT person standing over my shoulder. This is ridiculous. A lifetime of updates, IF you are able to connect! Which I am not. The solution recommended here also did not work after downloading the old version of map updates. I'm completely stuck. At least you're making the ACA look like the typical experience for internet interfacing. I feel like demanding that one of the Garmin geeks come to my house and show me how to do this! Maddening. I purchased this on a tv shopping channel. I will go there and give feedback.

LOGIKCOLLECTIVE
12-22-2013, 01:44 PM
Just loaded Garmin Express on a MacBook Pro. It loaded fine but now I can't install updates because the install now button is below the dock and there's no way to expand the screen or simply tab to install now button.

Even if you could expand it which I somehow did, the button is not illuminated (for me) therefore you cannot click it.
Even after I accepted all the terms and condition check boxes..

I'm really sorry I ever tried to update this thing... everything was fine until now...
Had it over a year (but I was traveling to a different state and wanted to update the maps)...
Big Mistake!

If any developers actually read this here's my info:

Garmin Nuvi 1350 LTM with 16GB SD Memory card
MacBook Pro OSX 10.6.8

Garmin Web Updater Version 2.1.3 = Does not Detect Device
Garmin Map Updater Version 4.5.1 = Does not Detect Device
Garmin Express Version 2.1.10(72)= Detects Device, but does not allow me to install / backup anything!

Garmin Nuvi 1350 LTM with 16GB SD Memory card
MacBook Pro OSX 10.8.5

Garmin Web Updater Version 2.1.3 = Does not Detect Device
Garmin Map Updater Version 4.5.1 = Does not Detect Device
Garmin Express Version 2.1.10(72) = Does not Detect Device

STUARTMW
12-22-2013, 01:53 PM
The 13xx/14xx models (you say you have a 1350) have a tendency to fill all available memory preventing the creation of the \Garmin\GarminDevice.xml file. If this file is not present, zero bytes, or corrupt then Garmin's software won't recognize the unit.

I'd check your 1350 to see if has free space on it. If not there's a few ways to remove unneeded files to make free space.

Why is my Garmin device not communicating with Garmin Applications? (https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={e908ee90-c6c1-11e1-dcef-000000000000})

PS: The 13xx/14xx are always recording trips logs whether you display them or not. It also archives these in the

\GPX\Archive

folder on the unit. Over time a large number of files can accumulate in this folder. As a first step I'd delete (or move to you Mac if you wish) everything in that folder.

LOGIKCOLLECTIVE
12-22-2013, 02:14 PM
The 13xx/14xx models (you say you have a 1350) have a tendency to fill all available memory preventing the creation of the \Garmin\GarminDevice.xml file. If this file is not present, zero bytes, or corrupt then Garmin's software won't recognize the unit.

I'd check your 1350 to see if has free space on it. If not there's a few ways to remove unneeded files to make free space.

Why is my Garmin device not communicating with Garmin Applications? (https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={e908ee90-c6c1-11e1-dcef-000000000000})

PS: The 13xx/14xx are always recording trips logs whether you display them or not. It also archives these in the

\GPX\Archive

folder on the unit. Over time a large number of files can accumulate in this folder. As a first step I'd delete (or move to you Mac if you wish) everything in that folder.

Thanks for the suggestion I'll try moving folders but I forgot to included that I was using a fully detectable SC card w/ the device.
* so i edited my post to include thus, and the fact that I've tried two different Mac OS's and still no luck *

I now see the Nuvi has a 8GB limit on the SD Card, LOL - but regardless I've tried my 256MB, 2GB and 16GB card and they all do the same (nothing)..

Thanks,
LC

BBBBENNIE
12-22-2013, 03:44 PM
Auwch... so many frustration with Garmin Express (have a Nuvi 660). Thanks people for this thread and the mapupdater link. It saves my day and a ton of frustrations.

HUB_CAP
12-22-2013, 04:29 PM
This is the best advice I have received. GarminExpress is junk software for Windows XP SP3. After many 24 hour attempts to download 2014.3, I was successful with GarminMapupdater even though it took 5 hours on 3MB internet service service (download at max .4MB).

Thanks for the help
Fred

SHELLNSTEVE@GMAIL.COM
12-25-2013, 06:38 AM
hi there! thanks from Australia... we had trouble with Express, but have gone straight through with updater :)_

RICKPATCARTER
12-28-2013, 07:51 AM
Garmin Express worked for me after I uninstalled the updater. I had to put my GPS into Mass Storage mode for it to be detected though. Instructions to do that here: https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?35639-Garmin-Mass-Storage-Setting-and-Changing-it-out-of-MTP-mode

DINORAT
01-01-2014, 03:00 PM
I am attempting to use Garmin Express on a Macbook Pro. Despite the fact that I have high speed internet, the map updates are downloading at 0.2 kb/sec. I can only conclude that this is a restriction that Garmin has put on the updates, or that the software is a piece of crap as previously noted.

It's great that the first page of this thread has a link to the old version, but that link is only for the windows version. Is there a mac version of the previous software that I can get to?

SUSSAMB
01-01-2014, 03:52 PM
Post or look in the mac forum.

LITTLEMAIL13
01-08-2014, 10:58 PM
tHANKS I'm finally getting it to download the maps!

KINGMIXER
01-16-2014, 09:45 AM
Hi, all.

I'm curious if the computer's operating system has anything to do with the success or failure of Garmin Express. Since the moderator posted the opinion that success with GE depends on the computer, does GE work better with one PC OS than another?

I ask because I have two different machines on which I can install GE. One is running Vista, the other Windows 8.1. If I know it will run smoothly, I'd rather install on the faster 8.1 machine. If it will run better on an older OS like Vista (since it was originally built for XP), I'd be better off there.

So what do you think? Would GE run better on Vista or Windows 8.1? Or does it not make a difference?

Thanks!

SUSSAMB
01-16-2014, 09:53 AM
Express runs fine on both my Win7 machines and ran on XP with SP3 when I had it. If you look at system requirements here http://software.garmin.com/en-GB/express.html you will see it says XP with SP3 or later. In your case I'd install it on the Win8 PC.

STUARTMW
01-16-2014, 09:58 AM
I don't think Garmin Express functions better on one OS or another. That said it seems it can be machine specific. I suspect that's a function of Microsoft .NET Framework (on which most Garmin software is based). For example some Garmin software has issues on some laptops but not others.

The latest version of GarminMapUpdater (http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.exe) (3.2.2) doesn't work on my Win7 x64 SP1 box while others have no issues on the same OS. Interesting v3.0.11 will run fine on that same Win7 Machine. Go figure.

My advice is to try it on your Win 8.1 box. If it doesn't work use your other.

KINGMIXER
01-16-2014, 10:13 AM
Thanks guys. I'll try it on the 8.1.

SRALPH70
01-30-2014, 03:36 PM
I seem to be having a similar problem. I have tried connecting my Garmin Nuvi 1390LMT to my Windows 7 64bit laptop and to my Surface Pro with Windows 8.1 without success in updating. In both cases the laptop or Surface displays the Nuvi and its memory card as two additional removable drives but Garmin Express does not detect the unit when I run that. I also loaded the Garmin Communicator plugin on both machines.

Has anyone determined if that data cable could be an issue? I believe the one I am using is from Garmin but it has to lagelling as such so maybe not. I don't really want to buy a Garmin cable if that isn't the issue.

I remeber strugging to update my maps when I first bought this GPS back in 2011. I haven't updated the maps since and they are really out of date. Very frustrated with this product.

SUSSAMB
01-30-2014, 04:18 PM
Try the steps here http://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId=%7Be908ee90-c6c1-11e1-dcef-000000000000%7D

PROCAGENT
02-05-2014, 06:34 AM

Thank you for this post - it just worked.

TDTYL
02-08-2014, 09:37 AM
I'm using a Garmin GPSmap 60 CSx on a MacBook Pro. I'm using OS X version 10.9.1 and I cannot even use Garmon Express! Instead, I somehow have to use Garman MapInstall. So far, I have waited maybe 14 hours to transfer only one megabyte of maps from my computer to the GPS unit (this does not include the three hours that I took to download the map from the Garmin site). Something is definitely wrong! I find that it's more convenient to use the maps on my cell phone! Garman is unaware of this competition. I have not encountered such crude inefficient software since the 1970s when I was working with a 6502 processor. Garman had better wake up! This software is garbage (I'm only being polite by not calling it something else).

RHEYLEN
02-18-2014, 08:59 AM
Had Garmin Express trouble with my Nuvi 255, it told me there was not routing information or something available after updating. The problem was that the Garmin Express program doesn't wait for confirmation from Windows that everything is effectively written. Do as follows:

- Install map using Garmin Express, until it tells you the device is up to date.
- Don't unplug the device yet. Close Garmin Express, also in the tray. Don't kill the process, use the close button.
- The garmin shows as an extra drive. Eject the drive in windows explorer.
- If it is still busy, try again later. It can take a long time before succeeding (half an hour here, just be patient).
- Eventually it will eject, and all files are properly written. The problem should be solved.

SUSSAMB
02-18-2014, 09:34 AM
You should always safely eject your Garmin GPS whatever you're doing.

STUARTMW
02-18-2014, 09:38 AM
You should work always safely eject any removable drive whatever you're doing :)

RHEYLEN
02-18-2014, 09:39 AM
You should work always safely eject your Garmin GPS whatever you're doing.
Indeed this seems to be the case. A suggestion might be to include this instruction in the Garmin Express software, since it simply states that the update is complete, and everything seems fine and dandy. People like me who are not too computer savvy then simply detach the GPS, and run into problems that can be very frustrating.

STUARTMW
02-18-2014, 09:47 AM
A suggestion might be to include this instruction in the Garmin Express software, since it simply states that the update is complete, and everything seems fine and dandy.

Or GE could "flush" the write-cache itself (what "safely eject" does before disconnecting a device).

There are 3rd party utilities, such as the Sysinternals sync (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897438.aspx) program, that can perform this function.

Usage: sync [-r] [-e] [drive letter list]
-r Flush removable drives.

PS: Many users never encounter a problem with flash drives, cards in readers etc because these days those are relatively fast and Windows is able to complete writes without any noticeable delay. Most Garmin device operate at USB 1.1 speeds or less (that is they're slow) so one needs to use "safely eject" with them or issues are probable.

SUSSAMB
02-18-2014, 09:47 AM
Well as Stuart points out this is true for all USB devices. There have to be some assumptions made about those who use their PC to update maps etc.

RHEYLEN
02-18-2014, 09:56 AM
It is not true for many usb devices. camera's, printers, cell phones, some USB drives, ... don't need any ejecting or safe removing. How am I supposed to know the GPS needs to be safely ejected, when the software tells me everything is ok? Since half the world uses GPS, simply making sure that the software takes care of this could avoid a lot frustration.

ADBUCK
02-18-2014, 10:07 AM
Many of the newer Garmin devices operate in MTP mode by default (at least in the nuvi line). In Windows, I don't think there is an eject or safely remove function for MTP connections.

STUARTMW
02-18-2014, 10:12 AM
In Windows, I don't think there is an eject or safely remove function for MTP connections.

There isn't. I was referring to mass storage ("drive") type devices. I don't think MTP uses caching at all. That may be another reason (in addition to file hiding) why Garmin now uses MTP by default.

SUSSAMB
02-18-2014, 10:31 AM
That makes sense. I run all my Garmins in mass storage mode but mtp mode is safer :-)

STUARTMW
02-18-2014, 10:39 AM
All my Garmin's are mass-storage only (well the 76CSx only partially) :)

I have a Android tablet that is MTP (only) and a camera (although I put its card in a reader--MUCH faster).

JPPRICE47
02-25-2014, 10:49 AM
That doesn't help if you use OSX.

JPPRICE47
02-25-2014, 10:51 AM
Garmin Map Updater only works on Windows.

SUSSAMB
02-25-2014, 10:55 AM
No, there's a mac version GarminMapUpdater for mac ( http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.dmg)

STUARTMW
02-25-2014, 10:56 AM
Incorrect. There's a Mac version.

http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.dmg

SUSSAMB
02-25-2014, 11:10 AM
Think I just said that :)

STUARTMW
02-25-2014, 11:11 AM
So did I --again :D

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?75463-Unknown-error-updating-to-Lower-49-states-2014-40&p=262720#post262720

. o O (There's a echo in here)

JBENENSON
02-27-2014, 01:49 PM
I recently updated my Orgeon 650t to the latest City Navigator North America NT 2014.4 (which was quite a process -- I'm glad that I have professional IT experience 8^) The instructions say that all earlier versions of the layer will be removed but that is not the case. When I check the maps on the GPSr I find the following:

City Navigator North America NY 2014.1
CN North America NT 2014.10
City Navigator North America NY 2014.1 3
CN North America NT 2014.10 (apparently a duplicate)
City Navigator North America NY 2014.2
CN North America NT 2014.20
City Navigator North America NY 2014.3
CN North America NT 2014.30
City Navigator North America NY 2014.4
CN North America NT 2014.40

Are these redundant layers? Can I remove all but the current version and still retain all the data? If so, do I do this on BaseCamp, the 650t, or both? If the 650t, how does one safely remove the unwanted data?

Thanks for your help.

SUSSAMB
02-28-2014, 01:09 AM
You should be able to remove all but the most current, which is 2014.40. Have a look in the Garmin folder on your Oregon. It should be obvious from the dates which are the most recent map files, but if not clear copy them to your PC before you delete them. The maps will consist of 3 files, a *.img file and associated .unl and .gma files.

You may find the simplest way is to run JaVaWa's Device Manager, available here http://www.javawa.nl/jdm_en.html

It will display the maps loaded and allow you to choose which ones to delete.

JBENENSON
02-28-2014, 08:39 AM
In a rational world that's the way things would work but Garmin doesn't live there. There are no 2014.* files on the GPSr using Windows File Manager, only three huge map data files.

Thanks for the tip on JaVaWa. I have downloaded and installed it and am running a complete device backup. It also doesn't show the same information that the device does about the 2014.* map files. When the backup is done I will try to delete the phantom(?) map files and see what happens. If I lose data I will run a restore.

If I was still doing IT work -- I'm retired -- I would be fired for writing the garbage that Garmin puts out.

SUSSAMB
02-28-2014, 08:50 AM
Well that's why I said a *.img file, as an ex IT man I'd have though you realised what the * meant ... the *.img are the map files but what the * depicts on your particular GPS I have no idea. Anyway, the JaVaWa device manager should help clear it up for you.

JBENENSON
02-28-2014, 09:51 AM
I fully understand what an asterisk means, thank you very much. You wrote that there would be multiple *.img files with different dates and that it would be possible to determine from the dates which are the most current. Instead there is only one gmapprom.img file that is large enough to contain the map data and it has a March 2013 date.

The JaVaWa device manager shows only one (locked) map file.

I ask again: is there a way to eliminate the spurious 2014.* map files that show up on my GPSr (but not in Windows file manager or JaVaWa device manager)?

SUSSAMB
02-28-2014, 10:12 AM
Well that's at odds with what you said about multiple maps on your GPS, if you have CN NA 2014.40 then it won't have a date of March 2013 since it was issued in 2014. So I'm now confused about what you're saying. Perhaps you could list exactly what files show in the Garmin folder when you view it in Windows Explorer?

JBENENSON
02-28-2014, 10:25 AM
That is correct, and therein lies the problem. There are five gmap*.* files on my 650t...

gmpabmap.img 49.8 Kb (2011)
gmapbmap.sum 1 Kb (2013)
gmapprom.img 3.28 Gb (2013)
gmapprom.sum 1 Kb (2013)
gmaptz.img 580 Kb (2013)

I updated to CN NA 2014.4 a day or two ago.

How do I know if the data are current? How do I remove spurious data from the device?

STUARTMW
02-28-2014, 10:28 AM
gmapbmap.* <== World basemap
gmapprom.* <== CN NA NT 2014.40
gmaptz.img <== World time-zone map

Do you have a (micro)SD card in your unit and if so are there any .img files on it?

If not I have no idea what's going on.

PS: Hang on! gmapprom.img should ONLY be 2.10GB (I have it) for the entire CN NA NT 2014.40 maps. There's over of 1GB of extra stuff in that file. WTH? What software did you use to update your maps? Did you use Garmin Express or GarminMapUpdater to load maps to your computer and then use MapInstall to transfer them to your unit? If so you may've inadvertently loaded old maps along with the new ones. That's not the normal way to update units with pre-loaded maps.

JAVAWA
02-28-2014, 10:51 AM
This is an Oregon 650t; gmapprom.img doesn't contain the CN map, it contains the preinstalled topo (unless you removed it).

Could you create an online report with JDM (Extra > Report) and place the hyperlink here? That way we can see for ourselves what your device contains.

STUARTMW
02-28-2014, 10:58 AM
I suspect the OP created a gmapsupp.img file with MapInstall, deleted the gmapprom.img one (and thus the pre-loaded topo's), and renamed gmapsupp.img to gmapprom.img. There's no topo's listed in this list

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?35362-Map-update-problem-with-Garmin-Express&p=263881#post263881

Or are the pre-loaded topo's 3.2GB?

JBENENSON
02-28-2014, 10:58 AM
There are all kinds of *.img files on the (micro)SD card, including all the 2014 files. I'm going to backup the card separately then delete all the earlier 2014 files and see what happens. Stay tuned...

STUARTMW
02-28-2014, 11:10 AM
FYI it might pay to tell us exactly what you did to update your 650T. Also as an ex IT guy I'm sure you've used a Console Window and have heard of copy'n'paste.

2/25/2014 8:27 <DIR> JCV
4/30/2010 0:41 51,019,776 gmapbmap.img
4/30/2010 0:41 4 gmapbmap.sum
2/05/2014 13:02 2,600 gmapprom.gma
2/05/2014 13:01 2,256,928,768 gmapprom.img
2/05/2014 14:11 1,655,406,592 gmapprom.img.49
2/05/2014 13:02 25 gmapprom.unl
10/24/2013 13:27 593,920 gmaptz.img

JAVAWA
02-28-2014, 02:29 PM
That's why I asked for a report from JaVaWa Device Manager; among other info it contains a full directory listing of both the device and the SD card.
(and of course detailed info about the contents of the *.img files)

JBENENSON
02-28-2014, 03:14 PM
I removed the all CN maps except 2014.4 from the SD card. When I turned on the 650t there were no CN maps showing on the device. I used MapInstall to re-install 2014.4 and there is now a 2014.4 img file on the device of the correct (2.1 GB) size. There are two Southwest topo 24k .img files on the microSD card. Everything seems to be operating okay, with the correct maps showing on the device.

Apparently if the CN maps are stored on a microSD card the earlier versions are not deleted when a new version is installed. This appears to be a bug that should be corrected in the next OS release. Also the process of upgrading the CN files is very error-prone, with false messages that don't reflect the actual state of the upgrade. For example, it will say that the download failed when it hadn't or that the file transfer wasn't successful when it was.

Surely if Garmin can charge $25 for two AA batteries there is enough profit to do debugging and provide decent software to accompany their otherwise excellent GPSrs.

DAVESGARMIN1
03-03-2014, 01:20 PM
;)just to say my nuvi 225t updates with the old version and also the quick launch-done in less than 30 mins no problem-must be the users??

JBENENSON
03-03-2014, 02:34 PM
Nope!

BRAZEL2
03-03-2014, 06:20 PM
I removed the all CN maps except 2014.4 from the SD card. When I turned on the 650t there were no CN maps showing on the device. I used MapInstall to re-install 2014.4 and there is now a 2014.4 img file on the device of the correct (2.1 GB) size. There are two Southwest topo 24k .img files on the microSD card. Everything seems to be operating okay, with the correct maps showing on the device.

Apparently if the CN maps are stored on a microSD card the earlier versions are not deleted when a new version is installed. This appears to be a bug that should be corrected in the next OS release. Also the process of upgrading the CN files is very error-prone, with false messages that don't reflect the actual state of the upgrade. For example, it will say that the download failed when it hadn't or that the file transfer wasn't successful when it was.

Surely if Garmin can charge $25 for two AA batteries there is enough profit to do debugging and provide decent software to accompany their otherwise excellent GPSrs.

Your updating a device that was not preloaded with City Nav maps. The update will only install the maps on the computer. You will always have to use Map Install to select and send the map image to the SD card. Its not a bug..

JBENENSON
03-03-2014, 06:57 PM
Well it doesn't work as advertised, so I call that a bug. The process goes something like this... I connect my GPSr to my PC and Garmin Express notifies me that I have updates available. I say that I want them downloaded and the process begins. The firmware update downloads very quickly but the CN update takes a very long time (even with 7 Gb DSL). At the end of the process it says that the download failed so I start Base Camp and, lo and behold, there is the "failed" CN update. I start Map Install and transfer a selection of the new map layer to my 550t successfully. Then I do the exact same thing to my 650t and it says the transfer failed. (I have lifetime updates for both GPSrs.) I stop Map Install and restart it, then do the transfer again (and again?) -- and it eventually works.

This is an excellent example of buggy software. Garmin's software has a lot of quirks and if I didn't have IT experience I would be in real trouble trying to get it to do what it's supposed to do. All one has to do is read the posts on this forum to see that there are a lot of problems, but I guess you get what you pay for.

SUSSAMB
03-04-2014, 01:09 AM
I've never experienced any issues upgrading/updating my various Garmin devices using WebUpdater, MapUpdater and/or Express, apart from one occasion when a bug in Express (now corrected) deleted installed voice files. Without knowing your exact circumstances it's difficult to say what went wrong for you, but glad you got it sorted. Note the download to your PC can 'succeed' and the download to your GPS 'fail', so seeing an apparently 'failed' download on your PC isn't in itself a 'bug'.

BG314
03-10-2014, 12:18 PM
I've never experienced any issues upgrading/updating my various Garmin devices using WebUpdater, MapUpdater and/or Express, apart from one occasion when a bug in Express (now corrected) deleted installed voice files. Without knowing your exact circumstances it's difficult to say what went wrong for you, but glad you got it sorted. Note the download to your PC can 'succeed' and the download to your GPS 'fail', so seeing an apparently 'failed' download on your PC isn't in itself a 'bug'.

I have been trying for the last day and a half to get my GPS updated (nuvi 50 LM, updated with v 3.80 device software). I had bought a 16GB microSD card, so I was all excited to get this done. It tells me I have like 47 minutes and am free to walk away, but every time, I get the same error:

"Express cannot build the map. Please clear the contents of the temporary folder and retry the update. If the problem persists, contact Product Support."

WHAT temporary folder, WHERE? I cleared my internet cache. My husband (20 yrs IT experience) sat down and tried to do it last night for me b/c I was so exasperated. He found that while I had updated the device software, somehow nothing had prompted me to update Garmin Exp itself. So he said he updated.
Now, I am just about to try uninstalling GE, that's the only way I can think to "clear contents of the temporary folder"---and go looking for this so-called "MapUpdater" and see if that will work.
Really getting irritated. This damn thing is supposed to come with lifetime free map updates, and then it didn't have room for them a year ago, the last time I updated. Now I have the new microSD and still there's problems!!

STUARTMW
03-10-2014, 12:28 PM
WHAT temporary folder, WHERE?

My guess is you're low on free hard disk space. As I recall GE says it's needs up to 13GB of free space for map updates.

Without knowing what O/S you're using I can't say where your %temp% folder is. One can also customize its location (mine is not in the default location).

Now if you open a Console Window (Accessories, Command Prompt) and enter

echo %temp%

that'll display the location of the folder. Usually (with all programs closed) it is safe to delete everything in that folder. That can free a lot of disk space if your empty the Recycle bin afterwards.

There are programs out there (e.g. CCleaner (https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner)) to cleanup temporary files etc if your prefer that method.

DAVEBEV61
04-05-2014, 08:20 AM
Have Nuvi 1370 Need both North America and Western Europe updates. Tried both Garmin express and the old Map update systems Get message have to install SD card as not enough internal memory. Tried 4GB and 8GB cards, both new, get message not enough memory . Tried loading individually same messages. Losing my cool. Help!

SUSSAMB
04-05-2014, 08:37 AM
Try the steps here https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={a209e880-9319-11e2-65d0-000000000000}

DAVEBEV61
04-06-2014, 07:04 AM
Thanks. Tried the options quoted but same result however loaded Garmin Express on another P.C. amazingly immediately recognised SD card and loaded both sets of updated maps to the card. Result!

SUSSAMB
04-06-2014, 07:08 AM
Often the case ... some PCs have issues :)

MICK_BROWN
04-06-2014, 05:16 PM
Thanks. Tried the options quoted but same result however loaded Garmin Express on another P.C. amazingly immediately recognised SD card and loaded both sets of updated maps to the card. Result!

1) Garmin Express to me still seems to be very flaky - I've tried using it 2-3 times to download EU 2014.40 and after a while of doing stuff it then hangs, reporting 3 hours installation time to go and 99% downloaded... come back 8 hours later and still the same status is reported. Perhaps it doesn't like WinXP? Perhaps it bears a grudge against me?... I don't know. And yes, it could be my PC, or a combination of all of the foregoing.

2) Garmin MapUpdater 3.0.0.0 (or some such) on the other hand seems to be far more co-operative. It tells me there's insufficient device memory to install the whole of EU and then gives me some easy to understand choices like NW EU only or some other limited map selections to install to device - but it also offers the option to download everything to PC and then I have some further options about how, what and where I bring the rest of the mapping into the demountable SD card.

It ought not be that way but I've learned to live with it.

As regards the SD card matter, I have had the odd one not recognised but it generally gets resolved by reformatting the SD card using a specific SD format utility application (rather than the pre-installed MS Windows Explorer format tool).

MICK_BROWN
04-07-2014, 09:55 AM
1) Garmin Express to me still seems to be very flaky - I've tried using it 2-3 times to download EU 2014.40 and after a while of doing stuff it then hangs, reporting 3 hours installation time to go and 99% downloaded... come back 8 hours later and still the same status is reported. Perhaps it doesn't like WinXP? Perhaps it bears a grudge against me?... I don't know. And yes, it could be my PC, or a combination of all of the foregoing.

2) Garmin MapUpdater 3.0.0.0 (or some such) on the other hand seems to be far more co-operative. It tells me there's insufficient device memory to install the whole of EU and then gives me some easy to understand choices like NW EU only or some other limited map selections to install to device - but it also offers the option to download everything to PC and then I have some further options about how, what and where I bring the rest of the mapping into the demountable SD card.

It ought not be that way but I've learned to live with it.

As regards the SD card matter, I have had the odd one not recognised but it generally gets resolved by reformatting the SD card using a specific SD format utility application (rather than the pre-installed MS Windows Explorer format tool).

Hmmph! Now let down by MapUpdater - programme went through all the motions of downloading (the new folder and content appeared in Windows Explorer) and installing at which point, having spent a while "installing", the process decided to fail, and in a childish "it's my ball and I'm taking it home" fit of pique, on deciding it actually didn't fancy installing the maps, deleted them on it's way home...

So, I'm back to the badly misnamed Garmin Express (the latter word being the misnomer) where, 5 hours into downloading the mapset to PC, for some while GE has been reprting 99% download, less than 1 minute remaining and the installation saying 43 minutes to go... interesting in that GE reported at the outset it would take 51 minutes...

Why is it not possible to simply download a self-extracting zip file so as to divorce the download process from the installation process??? At least then the user might have some control of the whole shebang... aaaargh!!!!! Excuse me, I need to stand with a wall in front of me, so I may slowly and rhythmically bang my head against it...

Does anyone on here have a solution to this recurrent problem? I don't subscribe to it being a PC issue... my PC has accepted the past 7 or so EU map updates (using MapUpdater) and suddenly it now doesn't???

EXPRESSCUSTOMERCARE
04-08-2014, 02:05 PM
The developers are aware of the issue and are currently working to fix this. It appears to be isolated to installing the City Navigator Europe NT 2014.40 maps to the computer, but the error occurs in both the GarminMapUpdater and Express.

Sam

MICK_BROWN
04-09-2014, 04:09 PM
The developers are aware of the issue and are currently working to fix this. It appears to be isolated to installing the City Navigator Europe NT 2014.40 maps to the computer, but the error occurs in both the GarminMapUpdater and Express.

Sam

OK, good to know it's recognised as a problem although it may also affect Australasia mapping from other posts I've read. And yes, it had me stumped in both GMU & GE.

Meantime, the work-around that worked for me (with thanks again to STUARTMW) was to find the downloaded files in the PC's Temp folder, copy them to where my maps normally reside and calm returns... :cool:

EXPRESSCUSTOMERCARE
04-10-2014, 10:02 AM
MICK_BROWN - The issue with installing Europe 2014.40 to the computer is now fixed.

Sam

BA.EATON
04-13-2014, 05:51 PM

Sam

Sam, the problem is definitely not isolated to Europe - the Australia New Zealand 2014.40 maps are also not loading, just hanging at 98% load. As with the other posters - please fix. Will now try the suggested work-around

EXPRESSCUSTOMERCARE
04-14-2014, 10:27 AM
BA.EATON - Are you getting stuck at 98% downloading or installing? The Europe issue was limited to failing at 99% of installing to the computer only. Are you installing to the device and the computer or just the computer?

Sam

BA.EATON
04-15-2014, 04:15 AM
Hi Sam,
Failing at install - tired all 3 versions - device only, device & pc, PC only - same result for all of them

PS - already have the latest 'base camp' installed.

SUSSAMB
04-15-2014, 04:21 AM
Moderator note ... As there is now an Express forum I have moved this thread there.

EXPRESSCUSTOMERCARE
04-15-2014, 01:48 PM
BA.EATON - I have sent you a private message to collect the Express log files from your computer. After I receive the logs, I should have a better idea of what is happening behind the scenes.

Sam