PDA

View Full Version : Garmin for ultra racing - how long can the batteries last

TORMODG
11-08-2009, 05:57 AM
I ordered the FR60 to monitor my indoors training, mostly spinning and strength/fitness training.

I am a cyclist and use the Edge 705 for outdoors training and racing.

Next summer I am participating in a 350 mile race with a target time of 18:30 (although it could easily be 20 hours in bad weather).

Would any of these cool gadgets last that long without recharging? Are there tricks I can use? It would be cool to have the GPS reading for the entire race, but frankly I have no need for it. Would the Edge manage 20 hours if I turn off the GPS tracking?

Or would the FR60 do the job?

Mostly I need to monitor my heart rate and zones throughout the race. Maybe the solution is to use the Edge for the first half and the FR60 for the second half?

Any ultra people here with some experience in this matter?

SATHOMASGA
11-08-2009, 07:57 AM
FR60 doesn't use a rechargeable battery. It uses the CR2032 replaceable battery. I've had mine for months without replacement. I don't think 20 hours would bother it in the least.

Edge705 battery life depends a lot on the backlight setting. For my morning commute, I crank up the backlight all the way (since it's dark) and the battery's half drained in about an hour. On the way home, no backlight, and the battery level still looks full. I've done plenty of 6-hour rides with the Edge705, but nothing close to 20 hours.

TORMODG
11-08-2009, 07:59 AM
Thanks. I was thinking that the FR60 needed recharging just like my wife's FR 405!

It's great that the FR60 doesn't need recharging. That should solve it for me. :)

BTW I have used the Edge for rides up to 6 hours, too, without problems. But I don't expect it to perform much longer than that.

KINBOY
11-08-2009, 02:53 PM
Thanks. I was thinking that the FR60 needed recharging just like my wife's FR 405!

It's great that the FR60 doesn't need recharging. That should solve it for me. :)

BTW I have used the Edge for rides up to 6 hours, too, without problems. But I don't expect it to perform much longer than that.

I know out of box I would get just over 10 hours on the 305, now I get from 8-9 without backlight on. Though when its cold it suffers as well, around 3-4 hours, only below freezing is it a big change though.

KIN

TRYING2GOFAST
11-16-2009, 04:29 PM
I have used the Edge for rides up to 6 hours, too, without problems. But I don't expect it to perform much longer than that.

I've used my 705 for rides of 12 hours without battery problems (and didn't expect it to perform much longer than that ;)). My recollection is that when I plugged it in, the battery status display showed about 2/3 down, but I really don't remember well. I do remember it wasn't even close to being on fumes.

JROSEDALES
11-16-2009, 05:52 PM
I've heard some Edge owner's will use a battery pack for longer battery life.
Here's the link an owner had sent me:

http://www.energizer.com/products/energi-to-go/cell-phone-charger/Pages/cell-battery-charger.aspx