PDA

View Full Version : Fenix 2.90 Software

APCLOUD
11-01-2012, 03:55 PM
Fenix software 2.90 is now available via WebUpdater. Let us know if you have any issues with this new software. We hope everyone will enjoy indoor training support just in time for winter!

Changes made from version 2.80 to 2.90:

Added indoor training support http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/2012/11/getting-fit-with-fenix.html
Added Foot Pod support
Added FIT History to main menu ( moved from Tracks )
Added additional details in FIT History
Added Save as Track option to FIT History
Added Delete option to FIT History
Added ability to Pan the map when reviewing Tracks, Routes and Waypoints
Added precision to heart rate zone data field
Added feet/hr vertical speed units
Improved vertical speed
Improved ANT sensor connection reliability
Improved calorie calculation
Improved performance of elevation data in fixed altimeter mode when GPS is not running
Improved performance of elevation data in sensors always on and sensors on demand modes
Improved waypoint list length
Fixed potential issue with alternate time zone DST calculations
Fixed potential issue with the active track showing incorrectly on the map
Fixed potential issue with Auto Light
Fixed potential issue with spell search for waypoints
Fixed potential issue with missing data when saving large FIT activities
Fixed issues with entering negative elevation values

FOSSELMAN
11-01-2012, 07:23 PM
Excited to test this new firmware out tomorrow on a run. See if it fixes my HR monitor issues.

When doing the webupdater I get an option for additional updates and besides the usual language options, there was one that said "GPS Chipset Type M4." What is that exactly?

SIUANDY
11-01-2012, 07:39 PM
Thank you.
It will be great if the elevation problem is fixed.

ANDIJUEN
11-02-2012, 01:40 AM
Wow, very cool!
The watch is really getting very good!

The indoor training support is a very welcome feature.
Also the save as track feature is very good!

I had two scenarios where the watch crashed at the end of following a track. The GPX was ok afterwards, the Fit file was corrupt. So i think for now it is better to save a track as GPX and FIT. When there is no more crash than the save as track from a FIT file is really helpful!

A bug what is still there is this:
When a track is displayed on the map (Menu/Tracks/Display/Show), you have to delete the track so the track will disappear after restart the watch... The menu point "Hide" doesn't work....

But it's a really cool update, thx very much!

RICHARDSCHMIDT@FASTMAIL.FM
11-02-2012, 01:44 AM
GARMIN, thanks for these great new features. Keep up the good work.

This morning I tried the new indoor feature with my fitness session but the calories calculation seems way too inaccurate.

- Technogym Crosstrainer reports 680 calories in 60minutes
- Adidas miCoach via iPhone reports 800 calories in the same period (which I think represents the most accurate calories)
- Garmin Fenix reports 1800 calories in the same period (!)

Heart rate between technogym, miCoach and Garmin are comparable (within 1-2 hartbeats difference)

I have set my fitness/user.

What is going on here?

ANDIJUEN
11-02-2012, 01:50 AM

Heart Rate is missing.... would also be nice!

ANDIJUEN
11-02-2012, 03:24 AM
And a small feature request for FW 2.10 :-)

Turn on and off the map (gmapsupp.img) would be a very handy feature.

ANDIJUEN
11-02-2012, 08:50 AM
The auto calibration for altimeter doesn't work anymore since FW 2.9.
I have Setup > Sensors > Altimeter > Auto Cal. > ON set, but the barometric altimeter value doesn't change to gps elev. anymore...

GFX401AA
11-02-2012, 09:24 AM
Fenix software 2.90 is now available via WebUpdater. Let us know if you have any issues with this new software. We hope everyone will enjoy indoor training support just in time for winter!

Added indoor training support http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/2012/11/getting-fit-with-fenix.html
Added Foot Pod support
Improved vertical speed
Improved performance of elevation data in fixed altimeter mode when GPS is not running
Improved performance of elevation data in sensors always on and sensors on demand modes

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Adam Cloud,

Very, very good job for this update again!! Keep going!!

Could you consider these features below for a next update :

1. the logbook (FIT History) is ok but the laps only show lap distance and lap time : it lacks lap speed, lap HR, lap ascent, lap descent and ability to rename and delete activities : ok point 1., but misses lap HR, lap ascent, lap descent and ability to rename activities

2. look at the FORETREX 401 main menu : when you list saved tracks (main menu>tracks), there is the ability to see the selected track elevation profile option (graph elevation/dist, min-max elevation, track distance information).
On FENIX : misses ability to view elevation profile when reviewing Tracks, Routes and activities in FIT History.

3. another request, concerning timer options : it would be great to have the options described on page 20 of FORETREX 401 owner's manual (especially "when expired" option).

4. I've noticed that when you use FENIX stopwatch (orange key>clock>stopwatch), there are only start, lap, stop and reset options : after stop action (laps done), you can't see laps; it would be great to save and see laps in an history file on FENIX.

5. is it possible to add the automatic switching of light when an alarm clock , an alert.. are activated (like FORERUNNER 610, 910..)? and a notification (tone, vibration) when satellites are located? : ok point 5., still notification (tone, vibration) when satellites are located

6. we can't use (see and save) all altimeter data without activating gps (for example, when you practice stairclimbing, you need altimeter data (ascent, lap ascent, vertical speed) and time data (time, lap time)). : ok point 6. (indoor mode)

7. when you add altimeter page in orange key>setup>data pages>tracking, navigating, indoor, there is no "zoom" function (select to change the elevation scale) and "view points" function (view the elev/time or elev/dist data points); there's just min-max elevation data.

8. there is no "measure distance" function : measure distance and time needed between two waypoints by entering estimated speed.

Thank you,

ACESYMM
11-02-2012, 09:48 AM
I second the above changes but would add use of the timer without GPS. I guess that would fall under "Indoor Mode"

LHRORD
11-02-2012, 10:34 AM
Thanks Adam Cloud and fenix team for the recent update. As a trail/ultra runner, the v2.90 update alone has won me over and completely turned me away from any longer considering the Suunto Ambit. The fact that in addition to foot pod support, the fenix now also supports indoor training, speaks volumes that Garmin IS listening to its core customer base.

I had become a bit concerned that the Garmin brand was becoming mediocre as it seemed to no longer be customer focused, but rather shareholder focused (i.e., purposefully eliminating quality components like SiRFstar gps chips to hit the bottom line; not officially supporting industry based standards (ISO 2281) to cut liability issues & overall cost cutting resulting in both lower quality and lower accuracy to barely satisfy the mass market, etc.). This function-adding update suggests that Garmin is listening and still trying to remain customer focused.

Realizing that there are clearly major bugs that still need to be fixed, altimeter, et. al. The v2.90 update makes me feel much more confident that Garmin is really focused on making the fenix a truly outstanding watch for outdoor enthusiasts (hikers, trail runners, etc) and will eventually fix the remaining bugs.

I read from DC Rainmaker's blog that whilst outdoors, the fenix "won’t automatically switch from GPS to footpod if you enter a tunnel like the other Garmin units"; this "auto switching" functionality is critical for hikers/trail runners and significantly improves outdoor accuracy under heavy tree coverage, steep mountains, canyons, short cave-type tunnels, etc. I look forward to seeing the fenix becoming more and more accurate and reliable for its key outdoor functions.

Garmin fenix team, keep up the great work!!!

SATHOMASGA
11-02-2012, 01:43 PM
(i.e., purposely eliminating quality components like SiRFstar gps chips to hit the bottom line

Got any evidence to back up that claim?

LHRORD
11-02-2012, 03:09 PM
Got any evidence to back up that claim?

Thanks for catching that, it was pure conjecture on my part. I meant to use the word "purposefully" meaning with the specific objective of reducing costs.

SATHOMASGA
11-02-2012, 06:15 PM
Thanks for catching that, it was pure conjecture on my part. I meant to use the word "purposefully" meaning with the specific objective of reducing costs.

Yep, I'm not sure we know what GPS chipset is in the Fenix. As best as I can tell Garmin has not made public which chipset is in their forerunners since the 305. Although if you check the Setup->System->About on some (e.g. 610) there's an acknowledgement of SiRF. Nothing like that on the Fenix. Could be a different chipset; could be that Garmin decided they didn't like advertising for CSR. (Kind of like Apple has never put the crappy "Intel Inside" stickers on their notebooks.)

My turn for pure speculation, but it could also be functionality. Texas Instruments, for example, makes a GPS chipset that includes ANT+ and Bluetooth support. As far as I can determine, there isn't anything equivalent using SiRF. Perhaps Garmin went with TI. Sticking with SiRF might have required another chip for the other wireless radios, which means either (a) bigger watch (it's already fairly large) or (b) less battery (which sucks for the ultra runners who are a definite target market for the Fenix).

It's also not clear to me that SiRF is necessarily any better than the alternatives. They've certainly established a brand, but Nike, for example, is probably the best established brand for running, yet I don't know many serious runners that pay for their own shoes and run in Nikes.

And heck, even if its true that SiRF is better but Garmin went with another supplier because of cost, that probably just means the watch costs less. It's not exactly cheap, so I, for one, appreciate any possible savings.

In my own experience with the GPS in the Fenix, I'm mostly impressed. Sometimes it does take 30s or so to acquire satellites, but most of the time the acquisition is instantaneous. Literally, I select Start GPS and Bam!, it's got it. Accuracy has been much much better than 610 or 910XT. My benchmark here is a trail I run regularly that's a short (2.5 mile) loop. The trail is heavily wooded and quite hilly. Because of the distance, I often run 2 or 3 loops. When I look at the tracks on Garmin Connect, they often diverge quite a bit between the different loops. Elevation also varies considerably (even with the 910XT, which has a barometric altimeter). Running the trail with the fenix, however, the loops have been dead on top of each other, and the elevation looks like an exact match as well.

I think there are still a few things missing from the fenix (Tanita support is high on my list), and parts of the menu system are a bit convoluted, but overall I'm pretty happy with the watch. Certainly can't complain about the pace of updates.

Stephen

HCBRAYMAN@ICLOUD.COM
11-02-2012, 11:43 PM
I also see the same thing using the Indoor mode; the calorie count is 3 - 4 times higher than it should be during a workout. I also tried just sitting on the sofa, and the fenix showed 300 calories/hour with an average heart rate of 68.

Howard

GARMIN, thanks for these great new features. Keep up the good work.

This morning I tried the new indoor feature with my fitness session but the calories calculation seems way too inaccurate.

- Technogym Crosstrainer reports 680 calories in 60minutes
- Adidas miCoach via iPhone reports 800 calories in the same period (which I think represents the most accurate calories)
- Garmin Fenix reports 1800 calories in the same period (!)

Heart rate between technogym, miCoach and Garmin are comparable (within 1-2 hartbeats difference)

I have set my fitness/user.

What is going on here?

GFX401AA
11-03-2012, 04:57 AM

Added Foot Pod support
Improved vertical speed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Adam Cloud,

I've noticed some issues with Fenix 2.90 software :

In indoor mode (setup>system>gps mode>indoor) with footpod activated (setup>ant sensors>foot pod>on) and activity started :

- no ability to read avg ascent, avg descent, ascent, descent, lap ascent, lap descent and avg speed data.
- no ability to use autopause (useful when you pause : we have to push manually start/stop button)

Thank you,

SIUANDY
11-03-2012, 07:33 AM
Ant+ sensor reading is missed in Ultratrac mode.
I also brought along my Garmin 610 connecting to the same sensors, and those data exists in the record of 610.

Moreover, the GPS accuracy in Ultratrac mode is really really bad. It fluctuates greatly.

AS4TIK
11-03-2012, 03:20 PM
Hi, Adam Cloud and Fenix ​​team. Good job. All that I wrote earlier in the latest update software has been corrected.

However, I have not mentioned that in my fenix vibration stopped working two or three weeks ago. I silently hoped that the problem of deciding when a new update will be released. But the problem remained.
In neighboring forums I asked a question about it. All people on their fenix vibration works fine. When I first got the Fenix ​​vibration worked fine everywhere when I tried it. But now it doesn't working. It remains only tone alert in alarm mode and in all other notification.
Maybe I can do something to vibrate again began to work? Could I have it somewhere in the menu to switch off and not notice it?

(In menu Setup-Tones-Messages it switched "Tone & Vib.", but working only Tone)

GFX401AA
11-04-2012, 11:53 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Adam Cloud,

I've noticed some issues with Fenix 2.90 software :

In indoor mode (setup>system>gps mode>indoor) with footpod activated (setup>ant sensors>foot pod>on) and activity started :

- no ability to read avg ascent, avg descent, ascent, descent, lap ascent, lap descent and avg speed data.
- no ability to use autopause (useful when you pause : we have to push manually start/stop button)

Thank you,

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Adam Cloud,

And in indoor mode (setup>system>gps mode>indoor) with footpod activated (setup>ant sensors>foot pod>on) and activity started :

- no ability to read avg ascent, avg descent, ascent, descent, lap ascent, lap descent and avg speed data. (data pages and in FIT History after saving activity)

Thank you,

GIANNI.SAVOIA@COMUNE.TORINO.IT
11-05-2012, 01:37 AM
After applying 2.90 release, my fenix doesn't show anymore values for temperature and barometer. It shows only "--.--- mb" and "--- °C".
Setting for sensor is = "Always on".
Maybe I have made a wrong purchase...

BRUCESAWYER
11-05-2012, 04:47 AM
After applying 2.90 release, my fenix doesn't show anymore values for temperature and barometer. It shows only "--.--- mb" and "--- °C".
Setting for sensor is = "Always on".
Maybe I have made a wrong purchase...

I'm new here but maybe this will help. I had the same thing happen after the last update. All I had to do was do a reset of the watch and all has been well since.

11-05-2012, 05:13 AM
I'm new here but maybe this will help. I had the same thing happen after the last update. All I had to do was do a reset of the watch and all has been well since.

I tried to switch-off the clock and even to do a "reset all settings". Nothing happened... :(

11-05-2012, 07:27 AM
I tried to switch-off the clock and even to do a "reset all settings". Nothing happened... :(

Well, after i did a 'hard-reset', sensors keep working again and i have temperature and pressure shown.
Thanks BRUCESAWYER for the suggestion!

APCLOUD
11-05-2012, 08:05 AM
Have you tried to calibrate the altimeter yet? See if that will fix it. If not i would recommend the hard reset mentioned.

BLACKFLY05
11-05-2012, 08:25 AM
Hi there Adam Cloud / Fenix team,

I have finally got my new fenix and have been using it for the last couple of weeks. I must say that i do love it. The new updates only improve it and give me more ammo to fire back at my buddy and his Ambit :p Mind you he had to send his back last week after it completely died... only had it 6 weeks?? Wow.

I have previously had the 405, 410 & 610... yes, i do like to upgrade when new gadgets are released and the fenix suits my needs as an ultra runner with it's ultra long battery life. My only concern is that i really appreciated a few function of the forerunner which are, (to date), still missing from the fenix. Most specifically the following

- Virtual Partner
- Virtual Racer
- Ability to setup for interval training

I am sure that you would have had others request / suggest these additions, but can you advise if they will be coming in the next upgrade?? For me, they really are the main functions that i can see would really put this watch over the top. Hopefully being standard features in the 610, you tech guys / girls can easily make them "new" features for the fenix:o

Cheers,

Dan

FALCONEYE75
11-05-2012, 10:15 AM
For me, it will be great to focus on hiking functions, even if running functions are welcome.

As proposed on this post, some nice fucntions to have / improve to make this watch the better GPS watch and blew away the AMbit that is preparing a lot of improvement :

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?31572-Garmin-Fenix-New-functions-to-add-and-needed-improvements

LHRORD
11-05-2012, 03:32 PM
Yep, I'm not sure we know what GPS chipset is in the Fenix. As best as I can tell Garmin has not made public which chipset is in their forerunners since the 305. Although if you check the Setup->System->About on some (e.g. 610) there's an acknowledgement of SiRF. Nothing like that on the Fenix. Could be a different chipset; could be that Garmin decided they didn't like advertising for CSR. (Kind of like Apple has never put the crappy "Intel Inside" stickers on their notebooks.)

My turn for pure speculation, but it could also be functionality. Texas Instruments, for example, makes a GPS chipset that includes ANT+ and Bluetooth support. As far as I can determine, there isn't anything equivalent using SiRF. Perhaps Garmin went with TI. Sticking with SiRF might have required another chip for the other wireless radios, which means either (a) bigger watch (it's already fairly large) or (b) less battery (which sucks for the ultra runners who are a definite target market for the Fenix).

It's also not clear to me that SiRF is necessarily any better than the alternatives. They've certainly established a brand, but Nike, for example, is probably the best established brand for running, yet I don't know many serious runners that pay for their own shoes and run in Nikes.

And heck, even if its true that SiRF is better but Garmin went with another supplier because of cost, that probably just means the watch costs less. It's not exactly cheap, so I, for one, appreciate any possible savings.

In my own experience with the GPS in the Fenix, I'm mostly impressed. Sometimes it does take 30s or so to acquire satellites, but most of the time the acquisition is instantaneous. Literally, I select Start GPS and Bam!, it's got it. Accuracy has been much much better than 610 or 910XT. My benchmark here is a trail I run regularly that's a short (2.5 mile) loop. The trail is heavily wooded and quite hilly. Because of the distance, I often run 2 or 3 loops. When I look at the tracks on Garmin Connect, they often diverge quite a bit between the different loops. Elevation also varies considerably (even with the 910XT, which has a barometric altimeter). Running the trail with the fenix, however, the loops have been dead on top of each other, and the elevation looks like an exact match as well.

I think there are still a few things missing from the fenix (Tanita support is high on my list), and parts of the menu system are a bit convoluted, but overall I'm pretty happy with the watch. Certainly can't complain about the pace of updates.

Stephen

Stephen,

Note the SirfStar logo/link at the bottom product page of the FR610 https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=142&pID=84374 This would suggest unit is indeed powered by a SirfStar chipset, whilst both the FR910XT and fenix do not have those logos. I do share your thoughts on chipset functionality being a potential driver for perhaps using non-SirfStar chips.

As a Garmin customer, primarily Trail and Automotive for several years; I have perceived some accuracy differences on alledged non-SirfStar devices, thus my SirfStar bias, as for the most part, you do get what you pay for.

I had to return my first fenix due to GPS and battery issues, despite doing firmware updates. Perhaps, they might be having slight hardware QA issues as some appear to be reporting "water vapor" after swimming with the unit (Theoretically, this would not be a problem if fenix was ISO 2281 certified, which requires a "condensation test.")

As a trail/ultra runner, I reviewed both the FR610 (form factor too fragile for outdoor trails) and FR910XT (battery life unnaceptable) and neither was an option for me, so I was just about to purchase the Suunto Ambit, when fenix was announced and decided to wait as I was already a Garmin fan. Interestingly enough, concerns about water resistance support and the lack of foot-pod support almost prompted me to return the fenix and get the Ambit, instead. Gladly, v2.90 came in an rescued the fenix!

Garmin has talented people, and surely they see fenix filling the gap previously left wide open in their fitness product offerings. Clearly, the fenix is not a threat to the FR610, as this segment of users has no desire for the added complexity of an ABC watch, nor the added bulk. As such, Garmin would immensely benefit from bringing the fenix up to par to the FR610 fitness functionality, as it is addressing an entirely different segment of users, ultra runners, et. al.

If Garmin does not bring key fitness functionality (FR610) to the fenix, i.e., workout/interval functionality, virtual pacer/racer support, performance effect, Bluetooth LE to PC & smartphones, etc.; they risk losing the highly profitable ultra runner segment to the Suunto Ambit and other emerging players.

Incidently, I do agree with you even on the Tanita support, as one would expect no less from Garmin's top of the line ultra runner's watch. Just ordered the foot-pad. Are you experiencing better accuracy on your 2.5 mi wooded/hilly loop when using the foot pod?

Fenix team, thanks again for v2.90, keep up the great work!

FOSSELMAN
11-07-2012, 02:31 PM
Would like to see 4 data fields on a screen unless I some how missed that. Like to see HR, pace, distance and time while running and not having to scroll. That is the only thing I miss from my 305 so far.

TICHODROMA
11-07-2012, 03:59 PM
Great new features again in FW2.90!

When I transfer last sunday's 61km ATB ride to a PC, I only have the last 40km of the track. On the Fenix the FIT file does say 61km and the 61 (auto) laps are there, but on the map (I also welcome a option to switch off the gmapsupp.img !) the first 21km is missing. The GPX file has the same problem but there the missing 21km is in a newly created folder /Garmin/GPX/Archive/ in <date_time>Auto.gpx. This file (containing 5 partially overlapping tracks) allowed me to reconstruct my complete track but I am wondering what happened here and if I can prevent it? Could I loose information with FIT only? I had GPS set to normal and recording interval 1sec. Autopause was on and it seemed all track interuptions occured when I breefly halted, but not at every stop.

B.t.w. : My existing profiles get messed up (set to Indoor) when I switch to them from an indoor profile and also I am not getting any elevation gained when climbing Indoor on a 22m wall?

I really hope you are considering Virtual Racer for the next update!

Best Regards, J.

SG01FC
11-08-2012, 10:21 AM
First off, thank you Garmin for finally including the footpod.

However, my altimeter function is going crazy (even after a hard reset). I thought it was good when I first updated the firmware, then the next day with the watch in the same place it said I had gone up 200 feet. I then left the watch on the desk over the weekend and when I checked it on Monday morning it said I had dropped 600 feet. I started the GPS and performed an activity to see if the auto calibration would fix it but it did not. It still showed way low. I then did a manual calibration with the known altitude and it is going all over the place again, even when turning the GPS on and off. This is not a deal breaker for me, just a nuisance that I hope Garmin fixes over time. At some point, I would like the $400 watch to accurately do what it claims to do.
Also, I brought this up in the forum for the 2.80 software update, but the GPS fix takes a long time (especially if moving while trying to get the lock). The suggestion was to use the GPS at the same time/place each day and that would not be a problem. However, this really isn't a feasible option. This is more of an annoyance than the altimeter.
Overall, I am happy with the watch, and like it for everyday wear, which is something I could not do with the 305 or 910.

FALCONEYE75
11-08-2012, 10:34 AM
First off, thank you Garmin for finally including the footpod.

However, my altimeter function is going crazy (even after a hard reset). I thought it was good when I first updated the firmware, then the next day with the watch in the same place it said I had gone up 200 feet. I then left the watch on the desk over the weekend and when I checked it on Monday morning it said I had dropped 600 feet. I started the GPS and performed an activity to see if the auto calibration would fix it but it did not. It still showed way low. I then did a manual calibration with the known altitude and it is going all over the place again, even when turning the GPS on and off. This is not a deal breaker for me, just a nuisance that I hope Garmin fixes over time. At some point, I would like the $400 watch to accurately do what it claims to do.
Also, I brought this up in the forum for the 2.80 software update, but the GPS fix takes a long time (especially if moving while trying to get the lock). The suggestion was to use the GPS at the same time/place each day and that would not be a problem. However, this really isn't a feasible option. This is more of an annoyance than the altimeter.
Overall, I am happy with the watch, and like it for everyday wear, which is something I could not do with the 305 or 910.

Garmin is ignoring the too long fix issue. I called Garmin France telling them that the fix can happen sometimes in 3 to 5 minutes (without moving) and the told me it's normal. Try to contact Garmin support and you will see that all their job consists in minimizing all problems you can encounter. Even if a problem is clear and reproductible like time accuracy they can told you "it's normal". Our hope is on Adam's shoulders who maybe can do something to report it to developpers even if it is unbelievable that some quality tests has not been done before releasing the watch. The Ambit has a very quick fix, very accurate time with sat sync and a very accurate time even when not synced. Even if it has less functions than the Fenix (and I prefer the Fenix), for essential and basic functions, it is perfectly build.

APCLOUD
11-09-2012, 08:29 AM
Great new features again in FW2.90!

When I transfer last sunday's 61km ATB ride to a PC, I only have the last 40km of the track. On the Fenix the FIT file does say 61km and the 61 (auto) laps are there, but on the map (I also welcome a option to switch off the gmapsupp.img !) the first 21km is missing. The GPX file has the same problem but there the missing 21km is in a newly created folder /Garmin/GPX/Archive/ in <date_time>Auto.gpx. This file (containing 5 partially overlapping tracks) allowed me to reconstruct my complete track but I am wondering what happened here and if I can prevent it? Could I loose information with FIT only? I had GPS set to normal and recording interval 1sec. Autopause was on and it seemed all track interuptions occured when I breefly halted, but not at every stop.

B.t.w. : My existing profiles get messed up (set to Indoor) when I switch to them from an indoor profile and also I am not getting any elevation gained when climbing Indoor on a 22m wall?

I really hope you are considering Virtual Racer for the next update!

Best Regards, J.

When doing longer rides you have to set the output to FIT only instead of GPX/FIT. When the track memory gets full we start dumping the GPX data to the Archive folder like you have found. If you have selected FIT only we will not remove any data from the FIT file and it will be all present in one file.

LHRORD
11-09-2012, 01:02 PM
Fenix Usability Improvement: (Tactical/Strategic suggestions)

(1) Tactical: ABILITY TO DUPLICATE DATA PAGES ACROSS ALL 3 MODES (Tracking, Navigating, Indoor): a duplicating option simplifies configuration for functions warranted across 2 or 3 modes simultaneously, i.e., fitness related data pages (heart rate, etc.); time/dist/pace; etc.; additionally, it's easier/faster to delete a data page than creating a brand new one from scratch for each of the 3 modes; for instance for RUNNING profile, most users would want to duplicate most data pages for both Tracking & Navigating as both functions are being simultaneously used, particularly in a trail running scenario where navigation is required.

(2) Tactical: UNIVERSAL CONFIG OPTIONS DUPLICATED ACROSS ALL PROFILES & ALL 3 MODES: similar to (1) but extending it to ALL profiles, whereby user can always delete/disable functions for specific PROFILE/MODE

(3) Tactical: UNIVERSAL/PROFILE-only FIELDS TOGGLING: Odometer is perfect example, currently this field is "universal," but most users would likely prefer it to be "profile-centric" to track how separate odometer miles for hiking/running/cycling, etc.

(4) Strategic: AUTO WIRELESS (non-ANT+) UPLOAD TO GARMIN CONNECT & BASECAMP APP via PC & SMARTPHONES BTLE (Bluetooth Low Energy): Immense usability improvement to attract new fenix users who may be intimidated by the innate complexity of using the ABC fitness watch and its time consuming manual task of uploading data via physically attaching USB cable to internet enabled devices. BTLE would uniquely differentiate and establish Garmin as a market leader whose innovations directly translates to increased demand & product sales.

Clearly, the fenix team already has a full plate; however, it should not forget about strategic usability improvements, e.g., BTLE, that would compel users to "Make The Switch" from Smartphone App-only usage to a dedicated Garmin watch.

Fenix, as the first BTLE gps watch on the market can be positioned as the industry innovative lead to better compete against the growing smartphone Apps which undoubtedly continue to cut into Garmin's dedicated gps watch market share. BTLE can make gps watches upload data just as easy as smartphone Apps do, bringing down the complexity barrier that a separate dedicated device introduces.

GFX401AA
11-10-2012, 04:18 AM

Added Foot Pod support
Improved vertical speed
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

could you implement these features below for a next update :

1. look at the FORETREX 401 main menu : when you list saved tracks (main menu>tracks), there is the ability to see the selected track elevation profile option (graph elevation/dist, min-max elevation, track distance information).
On FENIX : misses ability to view elevation profile when reviewing Tracks, Routes and activities in FIT History.

2. in indoor mode (setup>system>gps mode>indoor) with footpod activated (setup>ant sensors>foot pod>on) and activity started or not :
misses ability to read avg ascent, avg descent, ascent, descent, lap ascent, lap descent and avg speed data. (data pages and in FIT History after saving activity)

3. misses ability to set autopause (just "on" or "off" and not "custom pace" (pauses timer automatically when your speed drops below a specified value), "when stopped" (pauses timer automatically when you stop moving))

4. the logbook (FIT History) is ok but the laps only show lap distance and lap time : it lacks lap speed, lap HR, lap ascent, lap descent and ability to rename and delete activities : ok point 4., but misses lap HR, lap ascent, lap descent and ability to rename activities

5. is it possible to add the automatic switching of light when an alarm clock , an alert.. are activated (like FORERUNNER 610, 910..)? and a notification (tone, vibration) when satellites are located? : ok point 5., still notification (tone, vibration) when satellites are located

6. when you add altimeter page in orange key>setup>data pages>tracking, navigating, indoor, there is no "zoom" function (select to change the elevation scale) and "view points" function (view the elev/time or elev/dist data points); there's just min-max elevation data.

8. there is no "measure distance" function : measure distance and time needed between two waypoints by entering estimated speed.

thank you,

AS4TIK
11-10-2012, 04:58 AM
Is Alerts-Proximity work on firmware 2.90? Before the firmware update, it worked, but the distance you could choose only in feet. And now distance in km, but I can not figure out how to enable it.

TICHODROMA
11-11-2012, 09:09 AM
- My Proximity Alerts work on FW2.90, however, I just figured out that I (also) have to select SetUp>Tones>Messages>Tone&Vib (otherwise I am only getting a message in the display). I am not getting the vibration (which worked perfectly on the alarm this morning). I assume you defined the proximity distance in your waypoints (which is also nicely displayed on the map). I liked (my initial assumption) having the Proximity alerts without all the beeping for my AutoLap and AutoPause (when cycling), but for now it seems I'll have beeps for everything.

- Earlier this week the vibration of the alarm caused my Fenix to restart: after <sec alarm tone I saw the Fenix start-up screen. With Vibrate only the same thing happened. The hold light button >25sec Reset fixed it, but I am now less confident relying (solely) on the Fenix to wake me in the morning.

- Today my Fenix completely stopped working when I was Navigating a track. A Reset made it start again and after starting the GPS the tracking continued (only 2 min. of points missing). Will not be easy to reproduce but I thought I'd mention it here.

FERNANDO.LOPEZ.HIDALGO@JUNTADEANDALUCIA.ES
11-12-2012, 06:26 AM
Good work and fast in the software upgrade.
I am very satisfaid about the new Pan funtionallity I proposed.
I hope this work follow in new updates.
thank you

AS4TIK
11-12-2012, 12:57 PM
- My Proximity Alerts work on FW2.90, however, I just figured out that I (also) have to select SetUp>Tones>Messages>Tone&Vib (otherwise I am only getting a message in the display). I am not getting the vibration (which worked perfectly on the alarm this morning). I assume you defined the proximity distance in your waypoints (which is also nicely displayed on the map). I liked (my initial assumption) having the Proximity alerts without all the beeping for my AutoLap and AutoPause (when cycling), but for now it seems I'll have beeps for everything.

Thank you, TICHODROMA, for your response.
But as I tried to put different values ​​and different kinds of alerts Fenix ​​or does not respond to increase or decrease the distance to a certain point.
Before these experiments, I also set SetUp> Tones> Messages> Tone & Vib

But Fenix ​​does not notify even a message on the screen. Although I distinctly remember that before, Fenix rang ​​when I left radius of waypoint or or came closer then the setting of Proximity Alerts. And it seems nothing happened. But Proximity Alerts didn't work any more. By the way, the option "SetUp> Tones> Messages> Tone & Vib" impact on the overall message. For example the loss of satellites. Alert Type Proximity Alerts set SetUp> Alerts> Proximity> Notification. Maybe you disable the alarm?

I turned on all of the alerts now. But not one of them works. Before the sun, every hour, before arriving at the destination ...
Because I got the impression that I'm doing something wrong. Maybe there is a condition that must be true, what would it work?

For example, Alerts "Till Sunset" I set "00:40:00" and notification "Ton & Vib." But have never been alert. What did I do wrong? Where do I have to activate something?

ROAMINGNICK
11-13-2012, 03:06 AM
Not long after the firmware upgrade, mine hung. Here's what I put into Support:

"Hello, I have a fenix that will not boot past the "Garmin fenix Copyright 2012 Garmin Ltd. or its subsidiaries" splash screen. I have already attempted to hard-reset using the left-right-power method (wait one beep then release; second beep then release). Does not work. Still does not boot into the loading stage. I have powered off for more than 25 seconds at least 10 times, and it still hangs at the boot stage. I recently upgraded the firmware to v2.9. Please advise solution. Thanks, Nick"

If there is a way to do a full hard reset that would be good - thanks.

MHERTENBERGER
11-13-2012, 09:24 AM
Had the same issue. Problem was fixed by performing an actual master reset as follows:

Ensure fenix is powered off
Press and hold Down button
Power on GPS while continuing to hold Down button
NOTE: Immediately release power button once GPS powers on
Release Down button once Erase all user data? message appears
Select Yes
The reset on the fenix is successful if the device finishes powering up and goes to the setup wizard. Try the steps again if the setup wizard does not appear.
You will want to leave the device outside with a clear view of the sky for a minimum of 20 minutes to acquire satellite data.

Didn't have to do this for any of the previous updates and also had to hunt around for the actual instructions for the master reset. The user guide's reset of holding down the power button for 25 seconds does not help...

STEVENKNAPP
11-13-2012, 11:20 AM
Adam,

There seems to be an issue with the Fenix indoor mode for running where connect won't display data "by distance".

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/243018385

Also even outdoor/GPS runs with the Fenix have an issue in Training Peaks with "by distance" display. I can send info on that as well if it helps.

TICHODROMA
11-14-2012, 01:59 AM
I turned on all of the alerts now. But not one of them works. Before the sun, every hour, before arriving at the destination ...
Because I got the impression that I'm doing something wrong. Maybe there is a condition that must be true, what would it work?

For example, Alerts "Till Sunset" I set "00:40:00" and notification "Ton & Vib." But have never been alert. What did I do wrong? Where do I have to activate something?

Hi AS4TIK,

I also tried some other alarms during my run last night, while navigating a track. Before I took off I deleted all FIT/GPX files except that one track and 5 waypoints. I also did a 'soft' (25s power down) reset.

Working (Tone& Vib): Distance (interval, final Dist, Off course), Time (interval, final ETA (which is actually final ETE)), Clock Alarm, CountDown Timer.
Not working at all: Till Sunset (neither with GPS On or Off).
Tone only (though Tone>Messages & Alert type is set to Tone&Vib) : AutoLap, Waypoint Proximity (also when I press a button with GPS off which is quite annoying, for my partner ;-), since I experimented with my house as proximity alert).
It seems to me we are both using the similar settings and don't know why you have different behaviour. I think/hope I can repeat these tests on friday with new firmware ;-) .

@Adam: Would it be possible to let the waypoint proximity alarm trigger an AutoLap?

AS4TIK
11-14-2012, 06:31 AM
Hi AS4TIK,

I also tried some other alarms during my run last night, while navigating a track. Before I took off I deleted all FIT/GPX files except that one track and 5 waypoints. I also did a 'soft' (25s power down) reset.

Working (Tone& Vib): Distance (interval, final Dist, Off course), Time (interval, final ETA (which is actually final ETE)), Clock Alarm, CountDown Timer.
Not working at all: Till Sunset (neither with GPS On or Off).
Tone only (though Tone>Messages & Alert type is set to Tone&Vib) : AutoLap, Waypoint Proximity (also when I press a button with GPS off which is quite annoying, for my partner ;-), since I experimented with my house as proximity alert).
It seems to me we are both using the similar settings and don't know why you have different behaviour. I think/hope I can repeat these tests on friday with new firmware ;-) .

Thank you very much, TICHODROMA. I already thought that I was crazy.

ROAMINGNICK
11-14-2012, 07:53 AM
Had the same issue. Problem was fixed by performing an actual master reset as follows:

Ensure fenix is powered off
Press and hold Down button
Power on GPS while continuing to hold Down button
NOTE: Immediately release power button once GPS powers on
Release Down button once Erase all user data? message appears
Select Yes
The reset on the fenix is successful if the device finishes powering up and goes to the setup wizard. Try the steps again if the setup wizard does not appear.
You will want to leave the device outside with a clear view of the sky for a minimum of 20 minutes to acquire satellite data.

Didn't have to do this for any of the previous updates and also had to hunt around for the actual instructions for the master reset. The user guide's reset of holding down the power button for 25 seconds does not help...

Great technique but, per other thread (https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?31991-Fenix-hanging-Any-suggestions&p=154232#post154232), unfortunately it does not work for me (though may work for others). Thanks in any case for sharing.

PCHIZZO
11-15-2012, 01:16 PM
Just received new Fenix, came with FW 2.50. Used latest version of WebUpdater on latest version of Mac OS -- it finds the fenix device, recognizes the need to update to FW 2.90, downloads the update, then gives error "The update file is corrupted." Tried multiple times with same result.

Anyone have a solution for this?

[Note: Just got same result using WebUpdater on Windows 7. However, it then offered to update the timezone file, and that was successful - so I know it's communicating to the fenix.]

11-16-2012, 07:25 AM
Just received new Fenix, came with FW 2.50. Used latest version of WebUpdater on latest version of Mac OS -- it finds the fenix device, recognizes the need to update to FW 2.90, downloads the update, then gives error "The update file is corrupted." Tried multiple times with same result.

Anyone have a solution for this?

[Note: Just got same result using WebUpdater on Windows 7. However, it then offered to update the timezone file, and that was successful - so I know it's communicating to the fenix.]
It happened to me too.
When you connect fenix to pc, answer 'yes' to the question 'connect as mass storage?'

AS4TIK
11-16-2012, 09:28 AM
Here's firmware version 2.90 for Fenix (http://www.sendspace.com/file/15j65c)​​. To update you must put the file to the Garmin folder of Fenix and restart the watch.

FERNANDO.LOPEZ.HIDALGO@JUNTADEANDALUCIA.ES
11-19-2012, 03:36 AM
In relation to: Added additional details in FIT History, with this new firmware, itīs important we can view a heart rate summary in the watch. Now itīs necesary to connect BaseCamp to have a view of the heart rate data.

ANDIJUEN
11-19-2012, 06:31 AM
BUG FW 2.9: Crash after setting a waypoint during track navigation... The fit file was corrupt afterwards, the GPX track was ok, only time started from zero after reset.

ANDIJUEN
11-19-2012, 07:17 AM
BUG FW 2.9: Crash after setting a waypoint during track navigation... The fit file was corrupt afterwards, the GPX track was ok, only time started from zero after reset.

And the profiles got messed up after reset. All profiles have now the same data pages :-(. I should have saved the XML Files of the profiles...

STEVENKNAPP
11-28-2012, 11:28 AM
And the profiles got messed up after reset. All profiles have now the same data pages :-(. I should have saved the XML Files of the profiles...

I noticed the same. Thought I was crazy. Bummer, wish there was an offline tool to setup profiles. So much to modify, so tough to do it on the watch!

MRSPORTY
04-30-2013, 10:29 AM
Hi there Adam Cloud / Fenix team,

I have finally got my new fenix and have been using it for the last couple of weeks. I must say that i do love it. The new updates only improve it and give me more ammo to fire back at my buddy and his Ambit :p Mind you he had to send his back last week after it completely died... only had it 6 weeks?? Wow.

I have previously had the 405, 410 & 610... yes, i do like to upgrade when new gadgets are released and the fenix suits my needs as an ultra runner with it's ultra long battery life. My only concern is that i really appreciated a few function of the forerunner which are, (to date), still missing from the fenix. Most specifically the following

- Virtual Partner
- Virtual Racer

I am sure that you would have had others request / suggest these additions, but can you advise if they will be coming in the next upgrade?? For me, they really are the main functions that i can see would really put this watch over the top. Hopefully being standard features in the 610, you tech guys / girls can easily make them "new" features for the fenix:o

Cheers,

Dan

I'm a runner myself and interested in the Garmin Fenix watch.
However, i found out that it actually has not the features the FR610 and the FR910XT has.

- Virtual Partner
- Virtual Racer

Any idea if/whether this is/will be added to a next firmware version?

The FR610 was a nice candidate for me, but seriously Garmin, how can you guys produce such a watch that is NOT water resistant?! :confused::confused:

Anyway, still my questions for the Fenix are:

Will these features be added?

- Virtual Partner
- Virtual Racer

Or can these features above be added within 30 days from now?
If so, i'll buy the Fenix (+ HRM seperately)

Thanks in advance.