PDA

View Full Version : Which GPS to buy?

N0VHG
10-14-2012, 08:52 AM
1. I'm looking for a Garmin GPs that will show a complete route (with shapng points) from start to finish in the Map view. I do NOT want a unit that breaks the route down into segments. Or one that allows you to chose which segment you want to drive. IE "Trip/Planner"
2. A GPS that does NOT recalculate the route when route is received from BaseCamp. (both BaseCamp and GPS will have the same version of maps).
3. A GPS that does NOT alert at the shaping points when this "BaseCamp" option is used for that shaping point.
4. Unit should show lane views where available.
5. Unit should have screen display options custom configurable.

I don't want a dumbed down unit like my 2555lmt. The Older Streepilot series has functions similar to what I'm interested in.

Which New unit is available that meets these requirements or meets most of them?
Any help will be appreciated.

John

JAVAWA
10-14-2012, 12:10 PM
3. A GPS that does NOT alert at the shaping points when this "BaseCamp" option is used for that shaping point.

The only device that supports that BaseCamp option is the zumo 340/350; it does pts. 1, 2 and 4 as well. It has limited support for customizing display options.

INGRIDSHERLOCK
10-14-2012, 03:53 PM
While Javawa is correct -that the Zumo 660 does not automatically select it as a shaping point when the "Do not announce" option is used. I have found that by placing the shaping point on a junction quite frequently stops the device (I have a BMW Navigator IV) from announcing it.

1) The 660 does not split routes into sections - unless you have split them previously.
2) If the GPS & BaseCamp route have the same maps my GPS does not recalculate when the route is received. (I would imagine that this is the case for most devices!)
3) See above! :D
4) Certainly has them & I find it invaluable, though a friend of mine disagrees!
5) When you say about adjusting the display, what do you mean? The 660 can give you 3 different sorts of display, different pieces of information that can be selected.

Any drawbacks to the 660 - most certainly. The price is one, and if you listen to music, and have the music on SD card, then sometimes it does not recognise the SD Card! (Please see www.zumoforums.com for more thoughts on this device!)

I am happy with my Navigator IV.

Best regards

JAVAWA
10-14-2012, 04:20 PM
(I would imagine that this is the case for most devices!)
Not really... For a long time only the zumo's (and their predecessors, the StreetPilots) didn't recalculate when receiving routes. The current line-up of outdoor devices got that option just recently; older ones and all nüvi's still recalcutate routes.