PDA

View Full Version : Fenix and 10,000 trackpoints. Limiting long runs?

ANTHONYTIEULI
09-26-2012, 05:17 AM
Hey all,
Can anyone tell me what the 10,000 trackpoints limit means in terms of very long runs?
I have set my fenix to record data every second, which means that I add a trackpoint every second.
Doing the math, this means that I would have 10000 trackpoints in about 2 hours and 45 mins.
What happens when I hit this limit?

Past garmin models I've used have had default settings of 1sec recording intervals,
And I have done many 3hr+ runs with them.

I have a couple of ultras coming up including my first 50 miler, and I don't want to find out the hard way that the fenix stopped recording less than 3 hours in!

STOCHASTICFLUX
09-26-2012, 08:17 AM
I was wondering the same thing, but I've had the fenix set at 1s recording and then gone out for 6+ hours (which should lay 20,000+ points) and had no problems.

I've also saw another write up about the fenix where the author had it set a 1s and then ran it until the battery died (~15hrs) and didn't report any memory problems.

So I don't think it limits in terms of long runs, but I still don't know what it means.

ANTHONYTIEULI
09-26-2012, 09:16 AM
I was wondering the same thing, but I've had the fenix set at 1s recording and then gone out for 6+ hours (which should lay 20,000+ points) and had no problems.

I've also saw another write up about the fenix where the author had it set a 1s and then ran it until the battery died (~15hrs) and didn't report any memory problems.

So I don't think it limits in terms of long runs, but I still don't know what it means.

Hmmm. Definitely weird, but that makes me feel better! I'm doing a trail 26.2 on Sunday, so I'll leave the settings as they are (one second recording intervals) and see how it goes.

CHROSTYPHE
10-10-2012, 04:11 AM
Yes, I agree, weird...
A technical info from Garmin would be very helpfull to understand that.

APCLOUD
10-12-2012, 09:24 AM
This has been fixed in version 2.70. You can now set your output to FIT only and the fit file will record as many points as your mass storage can hold. GPX files are still limited to 10,000 points each before we auto archive them into the archive folder. We recommend that if you are wanting 1 second intervals for more than 10,000 points to use the FIT only output as you will run out of mass storage space to write both FIT and GPX formats very quickly at 1 second intervals.

STOCHASTICFLUX
10-13-2012, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the update