PDA

View Full Version : Fenix 2.60 Software Release

APCLOUD
09-21-2012, 02:37 PM
Please use WebUpdater to download the latest version. We have had many reports of ascent and descent being incorrect. We believe this and many other issues have been resolved. Let us know what you think.

Changes made from version 2.40 to 2.60:
Added review of detailed fitness data when using FIT format. See Tracks>FIT History after saving track data.
Added lap distance for each lap in FIT files.
Added ability to set the notification type for auto pause and auto lap during setup.
Fixed issue with ascent and decent fields.
Fixed issue where invalid heart rate and cadence were shown in FIT files when the sensor was not connected.
Fixed bike cadence reported in FIT files.
Fixed issue with moving time and stopped time.
Fixed elevation over distance plot.
Fixed track distance, moving average, moving time, stopped time, pace and average speed shown in UltraTrac.
Fixed reliability issue with the alarm clock.
Fixed issue where some data fields would update when tracking was paused while GPS was still on.
Fixed issue where FIT files were not written if you saved via the tracks menu and the output method was set to FIT or GPX/FIT.
Fixed issues with editing a proximity alert.
Fixed issue where average heart rate and average cadence values were never reset when clearing the track or resetting trip data.
Fixed issue where incorrect ascent and descent are reported in FIT files on Garmin Connect

MARIOMOBIEL
09-21-2012, 03:48 PM
Can u guys check the Basecamp Mobile app? It keeps crashing when u try to connect. It happens on both iPad 3 and iPhone 4S running iOS 6.

slackard
09-21-2012, 07:13 PM
Using a bluetooth v4 adapter in my pc i can see the fenix device, but pairing fails -- no windows driver for fenix on bluetooth.

On the fenix, going to Share Data, BaseCamp, it says loading and the bluetooth icon pops up. Then search for devices on the PC. The fenix shows up in the list but, as stated, pairing fails due to no driver.

Also, similar issue pairing to my android (htc evo 4g LTE) phone. Fenix shows up in scanned devices list, paring fails.

Are these features (PC and Android bluetooth compatibility) on the development roadmap?

seems like bluetooth on the fenix is completely worthless unless i have an iphone4s--no thanks!

JBADILLA
09-21-2012, 11:24 PM
yes please do consider adding Android and PC compatibility!

MARIOMOBIEL
09-22-2012, 09:20 AM
BT on the Fenix is for Basecamp Mobile Only, basecamp mobile only runs on iOS devices! Use the USB cable to connect to your PC. The manual never mentions to use BT to connect to your pc,

slackard
09-22-2012, 02:26 PM
BT on the Fenix is for Basecamp Mobile Only, basecamp mobile only runs on iOS devices! Use the USB cable to connect to your PC. The manual never mentions to use BT to connect to your pc,

Garmin employs software developers, yesno? And these deveolpers developed the fenix software and basecamp mobile, yesno?

Is it so unpossible to imagine they could write a windows BT driver for the fenix, or port Basecamp mobile to android?

Without customers like JBADILLA and myself clamoring for added functionality and new features, Garmin could simply send all their developers home with pink slips.

Let that be a message to the Garmin Deveolpers. Feature request me up some windows Fenix/Bluetooth drivers and an android app or face the pink slip!

:)

TOONS114
09-23-2012, 02:08 AM
Will it also be possible to buy BirdsEye maps to plannify routes on BaseCamp ? because the base map delivered on Base Camp is very poor.
The after sale answer was planiffying on Google Earth then export kmz file and reimport on Base camp.
I don' t find this answer acceptable for a watch of that price.

So just please Add Garmin fenix in the list of allowed products when buying BirdsEye Maps. Thank a lot

Chris_Delis
09-23-2012, 09:05 AM
I've noticed that when tracking my activity using the fenix, if I pause and un-pause for a period of time (e.g., when I am stuck waiting for a long red light to turn green), the exported GPX files (which I use for importing into my fitness websites, e.g., endomondo, garmin connect) do not reflect this at all! The fenix doesn't seem to keep track of this pausing and un-pausing at all. My Forerunner 305 seems to do the correct thing: it will create "track segments" (trkseg) to account for this. This issue is causing all of my pace statistics to be incorrect (they are including the pause times).

Was this done on purpose? Is it a bug? Will it (adding trkseg) be an added feature later? In the meantime, I plan to write my own program to determine these gaps and and to insert the appropriate trkseg markers. However, my application will need to guess when these gaps (pause/un-pause) occur. While I will probably be able to guess correctly most of the time, it would be much easier (no extra programming/processing) and more accurate if the watch itself were to do this from the get-go (since it doesn't have to guess; it already knows!).

Thanks,
Chris

SKALLE39
09-24-2012, 08:29 AM
I have tried with an Iphone 4s .... doesn't work ....

TLOSCHEN
09-24-2012, 11:07 AM
I've noticed that when tracking my activity using the fenix, if I pause and un-pause for a period of time (e.g., when I am stuck waiting for a long red light to turn green), the exported GPX files (which I use for importing into my fitness websites, e.g., endomondo, garmin connect) do not reflect this at all! The fenix doesn't seem to keep track of this pausing and un-pausing at all. My Forerunner 305 seems to do the correct thing: it will create "track segments" (trkseg) to account for this. This issue is causing all of my pace statistics to be incorrect (they are including the pause times).

Was this done on purpose? Is it a bug? Will it (adding trkseg) be an added feature later? In the meantime, I plan to write my own program to determine these gaps and and to insert the appropriate trkseg markers. However, my application will need to guess when these gaps (pause/un-pause) occur. While I will probably be able to guess correctly most of the time, it would be much easier (no extra programming/processing) and more accurate if the watch itself were to do this from the get-go (since it doesn't have to guess; it already knows!).

Thanks,
Chris

Try the FIT setting under Setup>Tracks>Output. It does a better job of keeping track of things like pause times, pace, etc.

Chris_Delis
09-24-2012, 01:25 PM
I'll try that, but I did have it set to FIT+GPX (both). If I set it to only FIT, and it works, then great. Even so, this is something that should get fixed...

Chris_Delis
09-24-2012, 01:55 PM
I'll try that, but I did have it set to FIT+GPX (both). If I set it to only FIT, and it works, then great. Even so, this is something that should get fixed...

Setting the output to FIT (only) made no difference. When I export from BaseCamp, the output file contains no trkseg markers. The same thing occurs if I export from Garmin Connect.

Chris_Delis
09-25-2012, 02:27 PM
I wrote a PERL program that fixes these exported GPX files. The program will automatically insert trkseg nodes whenever it reaches a certain threshold (default value: whenever 70 seconds elapses between two data plots, i.e., trkpt nodes). I will cut and paste the script here in case anyone else finds it useful. It seems to work well for me. YMMV.

use strict;
use Time::Local;
use XML::LibXML;

########################################################
#
# CONFIGURATION OPTIONS
#

# Enter a time threshold (in seconds). If this amount of time (or longer) passes since
# the previous data point, a trkseg marker will get triggered.
my $THRESHOLD_TIME = 70;

sub TIMEDIFF {
my ($start, $end) = @_;

# add milliseconds if not already given
if ($start !~ /\..{3}Z$/) {
$start =~ s/Z$/.000Z/;
}
if ($end !~ /\..{3}Z$/) {
$end =~ s/Z$/.000Z/;
}

my @parts = $start =~ /^(.{4})-(.{2})-(.{2})T(.{2}):(.{2}):(.{2})\.(.{3})Z$/;
my $start_secs = pop(@parts) / 1000;
$start_secs += timegm reverse @parts;

my @parts = $end =~ /^(.{4})-(.{2})-(.{2})T(.{2}):(.{2}):(.{2})\.(.{3})Z$/;
my $end_secs = pop(@parts) / 1000;
$end_secs += timegm reverse @parts;

my $diff = $end_secs - $start_secs;

return $diff;
}

my $FILENAME = $ARGV[0];

# <trk>
# <trkseg>
# <trkpt lat="40.0833176" lon="-88.2012036">
# <ele>225.0859375</ele>
# <time>2012-09-11T22:51:52Z</time>
# </trkpt>
# ...
# </trkseg>
# </trk>
my $parser = XML::LibXML->new;
my $input = $parser->parse_file($FILENAME) || die ("Couldn't open input file: ${FILENAME}! Reason: $!\n");
my $root = $input->getDocumentElement;

my $output = XML::LibXML::Document->createDocument($input->version(), $input->encoding());
my $clone = $root->cloneNode(0);
$output->addChild($clone);

my $trk_ref;
my $trkseg_ref;
my @trkpt;
foreach my $child ($root->childNodes()) {
if ($child->localname eq "trk") {
$trk_ref = $child;
foreach my $child2 ($child->childNodes()) {
if ($child2->localname eq "trkseg") {
$trkseg_ref = $child2;
foreach my $child3 ($child2->childNodes()) {
if ($child3->localname eq "trkpt") {
push(@trkpt, $child3);
}
}
$trk_ref->removeChild($trkseg_ref);
} else {
$trk_ref->addChild($child2);
}
}
} else {
$clone->addChild($child);
}
}

# add the trk nodes, which no longer contain any trkseg nodes (we'll add them later)
$clone->addChild($trk_ref);

# build the trkseg nodes one at a time based on the time threshold parameter
my $cur_trkseg = XML::LibXML::Element->new("trkseg");
my $i = 0;
my ($t0, $t1);
foreach my $trkpt (@trkpt) {
my $lat = $trkpt->getAttributeNode("lat")->getValue();
my $lon = $trkpt->getAttributeNode("lon")->getValue();

my ($ele, $time);
foreach my $eleTag ($trkpt->getElementsByTagName("ele")) {
$ele = $eleTag->textContent();
}
foreach my $timeTag ($trkpt->getElementsByTagName("time")) {
$time = $timeTag->textContent();
}
#print "lat:$lat lon:$lon ele:$ele time:$time \n";

if ($i++ == 0) {
$t0 = $time;
$cur_trkseg->addChild($trkpt);
next;
}
$t1 = $time;

my $secs = &TIMEDIFF($t0, $t1);
if ($secs > $THRESHOLD_TIME) {
$trk_ref->addChild($cur_trkseg);
$cur_trkseg = XML::LibXML::Element->new("trkseg");
}
$cur_trkseg->addChild($trkpt);

$t0 = $t1;
}

$trk_ref->addChild($cur_trkseg);

my $output_filename = $FILENAME;
$output_filename =~ s/\.gpx$//i;
$output_filename .= '_trkseg_fixed.gpx';

$output->toFile($output_filename, 1);

ANDIJUEN
09-26-2012, 02:40 AM
When i upload some tracks to the watch, one track will not be displayed on the watch. If i upload an other track to the watch, an other track will not be displayed, the former missing will be displayed... And also if i record a gpx track, an other will disapear and the missing will be displayed...

everyone else observed this bug?

dysert
09-26-2012, 09:43 PM
The Basecamp Mobile app crashes on my iPhone 5 when I scan for devices and it attempts to connect with the Fenix. The app does not crash when I do not have the Fenix in Share with Basecamp. Please fix.

GARETH.READ
10-02-2012, 04:16 PM
When i upload some tracks to the watch, one track will not be displayed on the watch. If i upload an other track to the watch, an other track will not be displayed, the former missing will be displayed... And also if i record a gpx track, an other will disapear and the missing will be displayed...

everyone else observed this bug?

Yep I get the same, dont recall with 2.4, but only had the watch for a day before 2.6 came out - must be an easy fix for the next release ;-)

rtrack
10-03-2012, 02:21 PM
Just to state the obvious once more:

FIT files don't contain START/STOP events for manual pauses. There is only one start stop pair which is for tracking start and finish when saving. This is not just a small annoyance, it's a major bug. One can't deduce the information from moving speed or by looking at timestamp intervals. Plus it's working in all other .FIT format supporting hardware (not sure about the FR10).

Garmin: Do you have an ETA on this? This really needs to be fixed, I'm sure you guys are aware of that.

Regards
TT

Jeorme
10-05-2012, 04:48 AM
Same problem for me. No device found on Basecamp Mobile IOS 6 iPhone 4S. Crashing when Scanning for Device…