PDA

View Full Version : Fenix - Almost an ideal runners watch 2.0

CLBOWER@VIRGINMEDIA.COM
09-20-2012, 08:05 AM
Ok so its not a dedicated running watch, but the battery life and host of other cool features make it pretty compelling.

A few easily fixed issues would make it a really good alternative to the dedicated running watches:

Just want to be able to see the 1 mile split times at the end of the run - the data is visible in connect but I miss not being able to see it straight after the run - could easily be included in the track 'details' field.

There seem to be some bugs with custom data pages - try setting up a 3 field page with 'Avg Pace' in one of the small fields - there seems to be an issue with decimal point positioning (at least in statute units) stopping the data displaying properly.

Virtual running partner is also really handy for keeping a target pace/ time.

Footpod support

Possible firmware updates maybe?

here's hoping ;-)

SNORTINGBULL
09-20-2012, 08:14 AM
No Training Effect and no Footpod support definitely rules it out for me.

STOCHASTICFLUX
09-20-2012, 11:07 AM
There are definitely a lot of bugs, the firmware doesn't appear to be production ready more of a beta.

I had a similar problem with lap pace not displaying correctly in a small field, but after I put something else in that spot when for a run and then replaced it later with lap pace again it seemed to work. No idea if this would work for your avg. pace problem. I have average pace at the bottom of a 3 field page and its working fine.

But there are a lot more issues with the fenix:

- Ascent/Descent numbers are totally worthless. Way worse than on my 610 using the GPS elevation calculations.
- Compass isn't really working for me, turn it 360 degrees and it will read W for 75% of the time
- Can't display heart rate in % of max
- Auto pause doesn't work right, avg/lap pace keep changing when stopped and pace reads ----
- I have auto lap set at 1 mi with tracking at 1s, but when I look in connect the laps are between .95 and 1.05 miles
- Avg. pace on the fenix at the end of a run is very different than on connect afterwards
- When I upload to connect I will have moving times that are greater than the elapsed time ??

I was really hoping that this would be a viable option for ultras and long trail runs where getting lost is a real possibility. But in its current state I would much rather stick with my 610 and just use a foot pod for tracking runs longer than 7 hours (keeping an old school map and compass in my vest on training runs).

A lot of the problems I'm finding and reading about seem like they could be fixed through a firmware update that fixes the way the fenix displays data and writes it to .fit files. It would be nice if Garmin was a little more open about what the schedule for bug fixes will be.

STOCHASTICFLUX
09-22-2012, 08:05 AM
I felt I should update my post from earlier this week now that Garmin released firmware 2.6.

- Ascent/Descent readings have been fixed
- Auto pause works (but can't set custom pace like in a forerunner)
- Fixed auto lap distance when written to a .fit file
- Avg. pace seems to be corrected

What remains an issue:

- Moving time is greater than elapsed time ??
- Compass doesn't really work (maybe I need to calibrate it, manual isn't really clear here)
- Activity type based on profile isn't set in .fit file

Additional features that would be really nice:

- Display heart as % of max (not that big a deal but would be nice and is easy to implement)
- Wireless upload to garmin connect
- Support for ant+ foot pod profile (to track running cadence on training runs)

Thank you Garmin for being so quick to push out updates so far. Hopefully this trend will continue.

MICKEKLING
09-23-2012, 01:45 PM
I felt I should update my post from earlier this week now that Garmin released firmware 2.6.

- Ascent/Descent readings have been fixed
- Auto pause works (but can't set custom pace like in a forerunner)
- Fixed auto lap distance when written to a .fit file
- Avg. pace seems to be corrected

What remains an issue:

- Moving time is greater than elapsed time ??
- Compass doesn't really work (maybe I need to calibrate it, manual isn't really clear here)
- Activity type based on profile isn't set in .fit file

Additional features that would be really nice:

- Display heart as % of max (not that big a deal but would be nice and is easy to implement)
- Wireless upload to garmin connect
- Support for ant+ foot pod profile (to track running cadence on training runs)

Thank you Garmin for being so quick to push out updates so far. Hopefully this trend will continue.

Except the above I also miss "Max HR" and "Avg. lap pace" in the Track FIT summary.

NYZETA
09-23-2012, 03:18 PM
I really hope the activity type will be stored in the profile soon. Its a tiny detail, but having to edit every single upload is a bit of a hassle

BLASBIKE
09-24-2012, 05:18 AM
Very nice for quick firmware update - that good, but we really need MUCH more fixies.

I don't know why fenix loads(and deletes) a track so long, the same with saving a track. 305 does the same much faster. Maybe fenix has slow CPU to save some battery?
I also don't understand how it's possible they added the new feature FIT History as a separate tracks list. There is no map and no delete function. How to delete a FIT?
Now I have to go to two places to see track details and list of tracks is not even sorted by date.

What is missing is activity type. A profile has no activity type. Then I upload a track and have to select an activity afterwards.
After 3 months I wont remember what was that rollerskating or cycling, hiking or mountaineering?

For me current fenix software is still beta and has no strong connection with any desktop(BaseCamp) or online software(Garmin Connect).
On this field Ambit and movescount looks much better.

I think hunter or fisherman might not be a runner and that market don't need GC or BaseCamp.
But mountaineer trains like a "normal" runner thus they probably be happy for training and mountaineering watch in one device.
Now it's only hiking/hunting/mountaineering watch with no support on the software side.

TOONS114
09-24-2012, 01:45 PM
I totally agree with you. I own an Ambit aslo, the human interface is much more intuitive such as movescount for exploitation an configuration.

I bought a Fenix for my father who is very used to garmin software and using what a deception regarding the complexity of the watch, the non intuitive interface, the complexity of the configuration with doing everything on the watch and not offering on off-configuration like the Ambit ....
I think with the Fenix teh hardware seems to be here but not the on board or exploitation software.

I had the watch with the release firmware 2.20 ... The connexion with Garmin Connect didn't exist, the lap function was not explained, and finally impossible ton buy some topo maps such as Birdsesye on BaseCamp ton planify routes ....

I'm now dealing with my dealer for a refund of the product because is very far from the Ambit and seems ton be still in beta which is not acceptable for a watch of that price ....

It's a very quick non achieve response to the Ambit ....

BLASBIKE
09-25-2012, 04:15 AM
@TOONS114 I don't own Ambit.
I don't like idea that I need a computer to change a setting of a watch.
I like that fenix allows to add profile pages and playing around with a lot of data fields. And it is intuitive enough - its not more complex then operating a simple mobile phone.
The firmware still needs some fixes like I mentioned before.

MICKEKLING
09-25-2012, 06:11 AM
I bought the Ambit when it was released, and sold it this summer.

The main reason was that it was almost impossible to extract data in a useful file format, the HR-data was exported to an Excel-file and the GPS-data was exported to GPX (thats okay if the HR-data was included). The other reason was the inability to change setting on the watch.

C53204
04-19-2013, 07:30 AM
No Training Effect and no Footpod support definitely rules it out for me.

The Webstore shows the Fenix is works with the Footpod - is this been added to the firmware update recently?

KOULIK
04-19-2013, 10:39 AM
The Webstore shows the Fenix is works with the Footpod - is this been added to the firmware update recently?

Yes, now it supports footpod and other ant+ devices.