PDA

View Full Version : basecamp adding map

MERECKI
10-24-2009, 06:50 AM
I recently purchased TOPO U.S. 100K, Upper East Coast from Garmin, not as a download, but loaded on a SD mini card. My issue is that I cannot add this topo map to BaseCamp. I thought maybe I needed to unlock map (added unit #, SN, but the product key on back of disk is longer than 8-digit required). Do I connect my GPS (with card inside) to the laptop or can I plug the SD card directly into the laptop. Am I missing something. Please help. BTW, same issue with trying to add this map to RoadTrip. Many thanks! James

PSEABOLT
10-24-2009, 02:34 PM
James,

I don't believe Garmin supports uploads from any device or SD card. I would call garmin support and see if they will send you a DVD for $10.

RMTVET
10-25-2009, 10:15 AM
Hi. I have a similar problem.

I recently bought an Oregon 550 together with a Garmin GB Discoverer GB National Parks SD card. I would like to be able to plan and review routes and tracks on my PC, but Basecamp only has the Global Application Basemap.

I would hope that, having bought the card, there will be some way of transferring those map data to the PC from the device. I have just e-mailed support and hope to receive a reply soon.

MERECKI
10-25-2009, 07:36 PM
I did the same. Email support for help. I initially purchased a download map and had constant download issues (even with cable modem and new laptop). I had contacted customer service to replace my purchase with a SD mini card. My intent was to add that Topo map to either Basecamp or RoadTrip so I can manage my waypoints. Once I hear back from customer service, I will advise. Thanks for the reply. James

azdrmn
10-26-2009, 09:55 AM
BaseCamp and RoadTrip currently do not have the ability to read maps from a card or directly from the unit. They will only read maps that are installed on your computer from DVD or using Map Update (download or DVD version). If you are having download issues using Map Update, I would suggest buying it on DVD vs. buying a card if you want to use the mapping data with your desktop applications.

MERECKI
10-26-2009, 07:27 PM
OK. Thanks for the update. I just emailed Garmin support to see if they can swap out the SD card for a DVD. This has been a very frustrating experience as there is nothing posted on their site regarding this.

RED90
10-27-2009, 02:33 PM
....as there is nothing posted on their site regarding this.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=10516&pvID=11890#requirementsTab

To view and use the maps on this card, you must have a Garmin device with a microSD or SD card slot. Maps on microSD/SD cards cannot be copied or viewed on a computer.

BSHROPE
10-28-2009, 09:40 PM
I recently purchased TOPO U.S. 100K, Upper East Coast from Garmin, not as a download, but loaded on a SD mini card. My issue is that I cannot add this topo map to BaseCamp. I thought maybe I needed to unlock map (added unit #, SN, but the product key on back of disk is longer than 8-digit required). Do I connect my GPS (with card inside) to the laptop or can I plug the SD card directly into the laptop. Am I missing something. Please help. BTW, same issue with trying to add this map to RoadTrip. Many thanks! James

Ya exactly, I bought an oregon 400t and didn't realize that the maps preloaded on it can't be worked with on the partner program basecamp. You are not allowed to import them to your pc for working with them or anything. I asked for help and the customer service guy recommended that I return my 400t for the 300 which has no maps for $100.00 less. I spent that exact 100.00 dollars on the map on DVD which was identical to the one that was loaded on the 400t (US 100k) to which I can load into basecamp.

In other words to get the full functionality that we expected or were led to believe by some poor sales guy who didn't know how garmin "works" you need to bump down a model to the Oregon 300... I was lucky that I was able to return my 400t, I'm thankful for REI. This comment and a couple others I've posted are defintely negative, but my experience so far with garmin has been frustrating, about maps functionality to mapinstall not working very well. Sorry for the negativity...

LUVBASSN
11-11-2009, 01:17 AM
I too bought a microsd card and had trouble with it and basecamp. The garmin tech replaced them with a DVD and it saved me almost $100. More info on the DVD than the card.

DENNYHENDERSON
11-17-2009, 07:26 PM
OK. Thanks for the update. I just emailed Garmin support to see if they can swap out the SD card for a DVD. This has been a very frustrating experience as there is nothing posted on their site regarding this.

So what is the result of this?
Will they do that exchange?

MARTYLANE_2001
12-29-2009, 07:26 PM
Hey you guys: I'm having the same problem. It wasn't clear to me that download maps purchased from Garmin would not work with BaseCamp. I do hope they'll allow an upgrade for the price difference, at least.

FWIW, I too had a very difficult time downloading the maps to my device. It took two calls to customer support until I got the info I needed to get the download to work. (The .unl file wasn't coming across.)

PSEABOLT
12-30-2009, 06:41 AM
I bought a Nuvi 750 about a year ago, They shipped me a city navigator 2009.20 for $10. Garmin seems to be upgrading City navigator about three times a year with a free download. The downloads work fine with RoadTrips and BaseCamp 2.1.1. I bought a life time upgrade (life of nuvi 750) for slightly more the the 2010 update. If you leave you old maps installed on you Mac, you can switch between the updates in both RoadTrips and Basecamp. It pretty easy to find changes on the updated maps. You may not get the answer you want about swapping your card the first time you call. The first person I call would not send me a DVD for shipping cost but the second person shipped it right out. I would suggest being polite but call back for a second opinion.

I have on order a Oregon 300, the 100K topo DVD and a 4 gb microSD card in a package deal for $409. I converted topo 2008 from windows but US topo 2008 will not route or search for addresses. All the 24K maps will route and search for addresses. Does anyone know if the 100K topo will route?

Thanks

FR50
06-08-2011, 09:50 AM
Since the latest version of basecamp it is possible to read map from a SD card.

It seems maps are back up on the computer, but where are thet located.

Because second time you connect the gps with the SD card it is read direct.

PSEABOLT
06-09-2011, 10:11 AM
I think your computer is just indexing the map and storing the index as opposed to the map.