View Full Version : Not enough space for maps on Nuvi 765T or SD card (but there is!!)

08-19-2012, 03:33 PM
When trying to update maps on my Nuvi 765T with Lifetime Map Updater (Mac OSX Mountain Lion) I keep getting the dreaded "not enough space" message. On checking there are 3.7gb of free space as I removed the gmapsupp file first. I then tried to install them on an 8gb SD card with 5.7gb free, but it was still saying not enough space. Eventually after vainly searching the Garmin website and forums for an answer, I backed up the card and reformatted it. I then managed to install the maps on it. Strangely even though it was not an empty card it was saying I only had 4gb free on it. Next I copied the maps from the SD card onto the Nuvi, with no warnings about not enough space. The map file is only 2.8gb, so why can't I install the maps directly onto the Nuvi, why won't it install on the SD card, and why did it say the card only had 4gb free? Can anyone help please, I don't want to have to go through this performance every time I try to update the maps, it must have downloaded the maps a dozen times (why does it not store them on the computer?), and I had to install the maps separately onto to my Mac (for use with Road Trip), which meant yet another download.

Previously I have not had problems with the map updates (before Lifetime Updater) when I just used the normal map updater app. It is only since the latest version that there seems to be a problem.

Help, please!

02-10-2013, 10:53 AM
I have now given up on Lifetime map updater as it just odes not seem to work, but please can anyone tell me the easiest way to install a map update onto my Nuvi 765T, without having to use an SD card? There should be enough space for it, even though the map updater claims there isn't.

02-10-2013, 11:21 AM
Try Garmin Express ... It's far better than LTU.

02-10-2013, 11:33 AM
So I take it Garmin does not monitor these boards. 6 months and no answer. Hmmm.... Explains why there is only customer service while all there customers are working. I bet those customer service reps got a very nice gig on there 9-5. Yeah, starting to think I just got scammed. I bought a Lakemaster "micro" sd chip for my Garmin Nuvi 1350, what i got was a Lakemaster sd card. The card doesn't fit in my device. Hmmm.... No Biggy right? I'll just transfer the files from the chip straight on to my device. Good Luck! So no luck there either; let's try putting onto my 8 gb micro card and then putting that in the device. Does not work! So I basicly paid about $100 for a maps for my portable device, that doesn't allow the maps to be shown. Luckily I can still use them on my pc, which is really nice for the very few lakes that provide more detail than the DNR's Lakemaster maps. Sounds like Garmin is going to be bankrupted by the smartphone wave and I doubt my lifetime updates will really last past a couple years. Like most of you, my nuvi will just sit in my glove box i guess. I might need it one day, when I get lost and my Hudson Atlas starts losing pages. Don't forget to keep that thing charged either; 3 years and it does not work with out being plugged in! Don't bother trying to navigate Garmin's site! I think it's a revolving door trap. Round and round we go; when will we get usefull info, nobody will know!

02-10-2013, 12:04 PM
Think you'll find what you've got is a micro sd card in a full sized sd card caddy .. that's how they come :)

You just pull out the micro card.

02-10-2013, 02:55 PM
Thanks, but please can you explain what Garmin Express is, and where to get it? I have never heard of it. Is it a Mac application?

02-10-2013, 03:16 PM
http://software.garmin.com/en-US/express.html and choose the Mac version :)

02-10-2013, 04:17 PM
Thanks very much. I have now downloaded and installed it, and will see what happens next time there is an update for the Nuvi.

02-12-2013, 06:55 AM
I have tried this now with my Montana which has now been returned to me after replacement, and I wanted to install my maps on it. It did the map install very nicely, but there does not seem to be any way that I can set it to install the map updates onto the computer as well, for use with Basecamp. This has always been something of a problem, so how can I get it to install maps onto the computer and the unit together, without having to download it twice?

I also note that it does backups, but it is not clear exactly what it backs up. Will it backup all my settings (eg customised display and menus?). There is also no option to decide where I want the backups saved, I prefer them on a disk rather than in an obscure place in the library.

02-12-2013, 08:55 AM
There is an option as you go through the process to download to both GPS and your PC. From memory it appears bottom left. As far as I can tell the backup just backs up your user data. So routes, waypoints, favorites etc.

02-12-2013, 09:29 AM
Thanks again for your prompt response. It did not seem to do that for me. It (ie Garmin Express) downloaded the maps, and I went for a walk while it was doing it. When I came to the computer it said "install complete" or something like that, but when I looked on the unit, the map was not there. I had to use Mapinstall to actually install the map (which took another hour!) But at least I was able to do it. I was rather puzzled though as it implied the maps had actually been installed. It may be that I missed something while I was away from the computer, but the message while it was downloading said I could go and do other things while it was downloading.

02-12-2013, 09:33 AM
The option pops up before the download starts so I suspect you missed it.

02-12-2013, 09:45 AM
One unfortunate consequence of installing the maps to your 765T with MapInstall is that you will not get the corresponding junction view file. Take a look in the \Garmin\JCV folder of your device and see what file name and date is there. Does the date of the .JCV file match the date of the map file (gmapprom.img)?

02-12-2013, 10:05 AM
Thanks, I'll check more carefully next time. Seems it only installs map updates once, there does not seem to be an option to reinstall them. It is odd also that it did not actually install the maps on the unit.

02-12-2013, 10:06 AM
Well actually I installed the maps on the Montana, not the Nuvi, this time. I looked and could not see a JCV folder at all, maybe it applies to Montana as well? I'm not sure whether it can do the junctions though.

02-12-2013, 10:10 AM
Montana doesn't do junction views just lane assist

02-13-2013, 12:00 AM
Thanks, I'll check more carefully next time. Seems it only installs map updates once, there does not seem to be an option to reinstall them. It is odd also that it did not actually install the maps on the unit.

Here's what you should see, but taken on a PC:

Click on yes, then select View options from next screen:

Select options:

02-18-2013, 02:16 PM
That's great, thanks. So if I select the option to leave the installation files on the computer, I could install on both the Nuvi and the Montana? Or do I still have to download them separately for each device?