PDA

View Full Version : Hard reset required after data corruption (BadFit files created)?

PAULFDUNN
10-19-2009, 11:19 AM
So far the recommendation has been to perform a hard reset after a data corruption causes BadFit files to be generated, and workouts not transferring to TC or GC.

I had another incident of data corruption, and really didn't want to go through the trouble to reconfigure the watch after performing a hard reset. So I deleted all workouts and continued using the watch without any reset (hard or soft). I have since had no issues transferring workouts.

Question to Garmin - Is the hard reset recommended because you understand the problem to the point that you know that this will reduce the future occurrence of data corruption? Or is the hard reset recommended because you have no idea what the problem is, and you only hope that a hard reset helps reduce the occurrence rate.

I suspect the latter, and I also suspect Garmin does not understand the frustration caused to its users by not being able to save/reload the configuration, and instead having to reconfigure manually after a hard reset.

BBECKER39
10-19-2009, 02:37 PM
There was an issue with the 2.40 version of the 310XT firmware that would cause one a settings file on the unit to become corrupted. This issue caused all transfers with the computer to fail before downloading activities from the unit. This error required a software reset to restore computer communication. The file corruption that is still present in version 2.60 is caused by a CRC error, and affected files will end up in the BadFit folder. This error should not prevent communication with the computer, and a software reset is not needed if it occurs.

We believe we have identified the source of this error, and are currently working on a fix.

DW152
11-07-2009, 11:06 AM
Argggh.

After using a 310xt since they first came out in June, I had my first corrupted file on a run I did this morning. It was just another run -- nothing special about it at all -- no advanced workouts, no VPP, no courses, no laps of any sort (manual or auto), no biking and no run-bike transitions. Nothing besides starting the watch, running, and stopping the watch. The only thing remarkable about it is that the run won't upload, and now it's stored in the badfit folder.

So what causes this corruption? The average user doesn't know what a CRC error is.

When is a fix coming out?

Is there anything I can do to recover this workout? The workout looks fine on my 310xt, but when I view the badfit file, instead of seeing xml I just see gibberish.

BTW, I do have sw v2.6, using a Max with OS 10.5.8, Safari 4.0.3, Ant Agent 2.1.4.

And just yesterday I just recommended a 310 to a fellow trail runner. I guess I better tell them to hold off for a while.

MAURICE.INZIRILLO
11-27-2009, 03:14 AM
There was an issue with the 2.40 version of the 310XT firmware that would cause one a settings file on the unit to become corrupted. This issue caused all transfers with the computer to fail before downloading activities from the unit. This error required a software reset to restore computer communication. The file corruption that is still present in version 2.60 is caused by a CRC error, and affected files will end up in the BadFit folder. This error should not prevent communication with the computer, and a software reset is not needed if it occurs.

We believe we have identified the source of this error, and are currently working on a fix.

Hello,

I have just hit the wall with such error with my last long run, from yesterday night.

It's really frustrating to loose such data.

Is it possible for you to repair my file ?

PALPIONG
11-30-2009, 10:39 AM
Hi Maurice, here's your fixed .FIT file. Rest assured we've got a fix coming soon though

NUBSCH
12-06-2009, 01:59 PM
when I tried to upload this file it just did not appear in the training center. Now I read that this seems to happen quiete often and Garmin is going to work on a fix. Is this also going to fix the corrupted filed. I have attached the file, but please also tell me what to do in case you can repair it.

Thanks
Nic

PALPIONG
12-07-2009, 10:58 AM
when I tried to upload this file it just did not appear in the training center. Now I read that this seems to happen quiete often and Garmin is going to work on a fix. Is this also going to fix the corrupted filed. I have attached the file, but please also tell me what to do in case you can repair it.

Thanks
Nic

The second file didn't have good data in it, but here's the first one you posted. I wouldn't say it happens often, it's a corner case where the checksum gets messed up, and this will be addressed in our next 310 firmware update.

DATEZZ
12-07-2009, 11:03 AM
What program do you use to view Fit files?
Thanks for any info.

KJOHANSS
12-10-2009, 02:36 PM
Could you please help me to correct the attached file? That would greatly appreciated!

PALPIONG
12-10-2009, 04:48 PM
Could you please help me to correct the attached file? That would greatly appreciated!

Fixed!

PFROMETA
12-10-2009, 10:34 PM
I have a workout that simply does not want to upload, even though I can see it on the 310xt.

Can you take a look at this fit file to see if it is recoverable?

Also, if the file can be recovered, what do I do with it? How can I get it uploaded to Garmin Connect?

Thanks.

KJOHANSS
12-11-2009, 07:47 AM
Thanks a lot, it worked fine! Looking forward for the next firmware upgrade.

PALPIONG
12-11-2009, 10:19 AM
I have a workout that simply does not want to upload, even though I can see it on the 310xt.

Can you take a look at this fit file to see if it is recoverable?

Also, if the file can be recovered, what do I do with it? How can I get it uploaded to Garmin Connect?

Thanks.

Here you go. You can select Manual Upload in Garmin Connect, it's under the "Upload new activities" and "Upload from a list" buttons when you click on "Upload".

PFROMETA
12-11-2009, 10:47 AM
thank you!

It works!

As much as I would like for this problem to get addressed as quickly as possible; I think it's great that, in the meantime, you're helping people individually.

NYOCHAI
12-13-2009, 01:35 PM
I am expierencing a similar problem with loading files to GC and TC, any idea when would the problem be fixed?
I have two important files which I aould appreciate if it can be fixed. Many thanks.

PALPIONG
12-14-2009, 03:02 PM
I am expierencing a similar problem with loading files to GC and TC, any idea when would the problem be fixed?
I have two important files which I aould appreciate if it can be fixed. Many thanks.

Hi, could you send me a good known file with similar settings as these? This files are trickier to fix, so a reference would help. Thanks

NYOCHAI
12-15-2009, 12:06 PM
This is a file from today.

PALPIONG
12-15-2009, 02:11 PM
Do you have the .FIT file? That would makes things easier for me to compare, since we don't have tools that do TCX to FIT easily just yet.

NYOCHAI
12-16-2009, 01:19 PM
Thanks,

LISAFOX16
12-16-2009, 01:35 PM
Did you look in the Activities folder? Thats where the .fit files are stored.

NYOCHAI
12-17-2009, 01:59 PM
Here it is

KAFOLSKE
12-19-2009, 02:57 PM
I have a bad fit file that did not upload. Is there a way I can convert it to a tcx file? I tried to import it into GTC, but it only imports tcx files.

Here is the file:

hawktalk3
12-21-2009, 09:03 AM
Please update the device to the latest version 2.70

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/fr310update.jsp

moorece

NYOCHAI
12-21-2009, 12:41 PM
is it available?

hawktalk3
12-21-2009, 12:43 PM
If you click on the link above you should be able to update to the 2.70 version.

moorece

NYOCHAI
12-21-2009, 12:57 PM
Navigation to the webpage was canceled

hawktalk3
12-21-2009, 12:59 PM
What type of browser are you using? It works for me, so I would ensure that your browser is up to date.

NYOCHAI
12-21-2009, 01:02 PM
should I downgrade to 7?

hawktalk3
12-21-2009, 01:05 PM
If you are on Internet Explorer 8 then click on tools and choose the compatibility view option.

NYOCHAI
12-21-2009, 01:11 PM
I tried but it did not help

MELZORRO
12-21-2009, 01:29 PM
Maybe you have a HP pc?

There are some general issues with Internet Explorer, you can read about this using Google - "navigation to the page was cancelled".

Alternatively you could try using firefox, but don't know if this should work.

hawktalk3
12-21-2009, 01:30 PM
The site is functioning so the issue is with your browser or your firewall, you might want to try Firefox as an alternative or manually go to the site.

www.garmin.com
Into Sports
Edge 310XT
Software

moorece

NYOCHAI
12-21-2009, 01:39 PM
with firefox, tx

PKOTLAR
12-27-2009, 03:38 PM
I have corrupted FIT file. Can anyone fix it? Thanks

I compared bad and fixed FIT files in this thread and there is only difference in last character, but i don't know how to find correct new character. Is there any known procedure how to fix it or is it "secret"?

DW152
12-27-2009, 05:20 PM
I compared bad and fixed FIT files in this thread and there is only difference in last character, but i don't know how to find correct new character. Is there any known procedure how to fix it or is it "secret"?

Here's an explanation on how to fix the badfit files:

https://forums.garmin.com/showpost.php?p=18098&postcount=44