PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Maps Update stuck at Downloading stage

G R S
08-04-2012, 06:50 AM
I'm attempting to update the maps on my Nüvi 255W, using the Garmin Maps Update application. It's already successfully downloaded a firmware update (which I've applied).

It is now meant to be downloading the City Navigator Europe NT 2013.10 map update. I have installed an SD card which is big enough to take the update.

It's been stuck on the "Downloading (2680.8 MB)" stage now for several hours. It looks to be about 11/12ths of the way through but the progress circle has not moved all morning. Activity Monitor says the Garmin Map Update process is using about 13% CPU, so it's doing *something*—but Little Snitch reports no network activity, so it's not actually doing any downloading!

I don't think it's my broadband's fault (I'm getting 26.75 Mbps at the moment!).

I'm using Garmin Map Update 4.5.0 on OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion.

Anybody have a clue what's wrong and whether there's anything I can do about it, other than wait (and wait and wait and…)?

Thanks, all.
--
Glenn

G R S
08-04-2012, 07:26 AM
Tried the time-honoured method of 'quit and start again'…

It's now downloading map data again (though it seems to have started afresh, right from the beginning). For some reason, it now says "Downloading (3619.5 MB)", i.e. it's trying to download more data!

Will update the thread if/when anything happens…

G R S
08-04-2012, 08:31 AM
So it's almost half way through the download, according to the blue progress circle. But according to the log, it hasn't actually downloaded anything in the last half-hour. It's effectively stalled.

I must say, this is very frustrating!

G R S
08-04-2012, 09:23 AM
…and it's now been almost an hour and half since it downloaded anything…

The log doesn't show any errors, either.

CLARKJOEBOB
08-06-2012, 09:22 PM
I'm not sure if this will work but you can try it. put your computer in safe mode with networking and try running the updater again.

ELBISONTE
08-07-2012, 02:55 AM
My citynavigator NT europe download to SD has stopped also at 67% its been doing this for a week..after several reboots and formats of SD cards I am out of ideas?

nik

G R S
08-07-2012, 05:34 AM
I'm not sure if this will work but you can try it. put your computer in safe mode with networking and try running the updater again.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm attempting the update yet again today, and if (I as I fear) it doesn't work, this will be the next thing I try.

This time I've tried switching off the OS X firewall, just on the off-chance it was interfering (though I doubt it). And I've contacted Garmin Support, who said: "I believe we will need to report this issue to find a resolution as there is no simple solution as of yet." :(

The support rep asked for a couple of log files, which I've duly sent off.

ELBISONTE, if you are having the same trouble, maybe it's worth you contacting Support too. They may think my troubles are an isolated issue (despite there being a number of similar threads on this and other forums).

BTW, I assume you're a Mac user too…? Are you running Mountain Lion too? Just curious…

Glenn

G R S
08-07-2012, 07:24 AM
Well, believe it or not, this time the download and installation WORKED!!!!

I find it hard to believe that the fix was as simple as switching off the OS X firewall, but that was the only thing I did differently (oh, and I also switched off Little Snitch).

ELBISONTE, maybe it'd be worth you trying it again with the firewall off too.

Glenn

SUSSAMB
08-07-2012, 08:40 AM
Why are you surprised it was a firewall issue ... that's partly why firewalls are there ;)

Any time you have a download issue you need to check the download isn't being stopped at the firewall :)

G R S
08-14-2012, 02:33 PM
True, that is what a firewall is for . . . but it seemed unlikely to me that the firewall would prevent the downloading of *some* of the map update files but not *all* of them (especially as they all seemed to be coming from the same server). Also, there were no "help, the firewall won't let me download stuff!" errors in the Garmin Map Update log file, nor were there any Garmin-related messages in the system log files. So it didn't look like the firewall was causing a problem. I only switched it off on a whim! Computers, huh? ;)

Glenn

SUMMERTAN21
08-21-2012, 07:15 AM
Hi Glenn,

I appreciate you noting all of this down about your Garmin product cause I'm experiencing the same problem with my Garmin nuvi 255W GPS. I have been trying to update my maps but it has been on 55% percent for a whole day now and don't know what to do. I followed your advice and checked if my firewall was off...and it was so I don't know what the problem could be.
Do you have any further suggestions for me?

G R S
08-23-2012, 05:41 AM
Hi SUMMERTAN21,

Sorry to hear you're having the same trouble I had! It's very frustrating. Are there any errors in the log file? (I found it in ~/Library/Caches/Garmin/ —if you're using Snow Leopard or later, the ~/Library folder is hidden in Finder by default, so to open it you'll need to use the "Go to Folder…" option in Finder's Go menu.)

I'd recommend you contact Garmin Support and raise the issue with them. It seems that a number of Mac users are having this problem, so the more noise we make, the more likely they will give someone the job of looking into the problem. Also, it may be a coincidence, but my download worked after I'd contacted Support and sent them my log files. Could be fluke, though.

I guess my other piece of advice would be to just try again another day. Maybe the servers get overloaded or something...?

Glenn

ACESOVER
06-19-2013, 03:27 PM
I had the same issue on a PC, stuck at 99% updating, so I disconnected from our corporate network (which is heavily firewalled), and connected outside our network, the update then completed in a minute or so. Something towards the end of the map update must try to do something that is different from the first 99% of the download, possibly sending info back to Garmin on some typically blocked port.

TMTRA14
08-04-2013, 10:33 PM
Hey guys I've just experienced the "stuck" download problem as well but I've found the solution, which might not be the same as what y'all are experiencing. Basically the problem I ran into was that the firmware was "finalizing" and when I came back after an hour it was still at the same stage!! Then saw the instructions on the left saying it needs to be reconnected to finish installing. So I thought maybe turning the device off and on would work. Lo and behold the update progressed! All this time the USB has been connected as I was afraid of losing data as well. Saved time not needing to contact Garmin :)
I've got a Nuvi 1350 and had it since 2011 and it's still going strong. If I can some how overclock the CPU it would be a beast but it's still relatively fast for an oldish model

Hope this helps future readers

Cheers

bfessel
08-10-2013, 10:36 AM
I do have the same problem downloading TOPO Map for Poland.
It stucks always, even when i am switching off the Firewall (BitDefender).
It stucks at 4, 7, 14, 30% it differs very often, but so far i was not able to download this map.

Bernhard

SUSSAMB
08-10-2013, 11:08 AM
Which map? How are you trying to download it?

ANDYKEMPER
08-11-2013, 05:49 PM
I have very fast and reliable internet connection. I have tried Garmin Express, and Garmin Map Updater. I keep getting fluctuating response from the Garmin Download Server. It downloads map content at a weak to modest pace, then within thirty seconds, the download slows to a crawl before fully stopping for a duration of about three to five minutes. After this stop period for 3-5 minutes, the cycle continues again. This process will not allow more than 1% of the map to ever download.

Someone at Garmin is not doing their job and making sure the update service is working. I have done everything Gamin has suggested in these forums. I know with certainty the problem is not on my side. Garmin needs to reset their download server so it is functional again.

Garmin needs to have mirrored download sites to prevent this kind of problem from happening.

I have wasted four hours of my Sunday trying to a get simple updated lifetime map to download.

SUSSAMB
08-12-2013, 01:08 AM
Well this sort of problem isn't normally on the Garmin side, although they throttle back speeds occasionally, generally directly after a map update is issued so it's always wise to wait a day or two. But that won't be the case here and I've just checked and my map downloads as fast as normal.

Perhaps your ISP had a problem? I'd give it another go today and see what happens.

TMTRA14
08-12-2013, 10:32 AM
Worse case you guys could just buy an SD card with map updates on eBay if they have it although you'd have to pay $20-$40 which defeats the lifetime update promotion

BDILLOUGHERY
08-24-2013, 02:33 AM
I am having the same issue. I have been trying for three days to download this stupid map update. I just bought a brand new nuvi 2595LM. The software update went fine. The map update started fine. It stalled on 74% and finally gave me the option of retry or ignore in Garmin Express. Then hit retry and have been doing so on two different networks for the last three days and so far it has move from about 74% to 83% and it is killing me. What a worthless product. This is brand new out of the box. I allowed Garmin Express on Windows Firewall. I have rebooted. I have closed down Garmin Express, rebooted both the device and my computer, and started over twice.

I am running Windows 7 64 bit and trying to update a brand new nuvi 2595 piece of junk

P.S. The reason I bought this was because I just moved to Switzerland. I am trying to download the "Full Coverage of Europe (2014.10)" map because I don't know how to get around. The network at my apartment and work are both out of my control so I cannot change either router's settings or firewall options.

KW_STARLING
08-26-2013, 08:05 AM
I am having the same issue. I have been trying for three days to download this stupid map update. I just bought a brand new nuvi 2595LM. The software update went fine. The map update started fine. It stalled on 74% and finally gave me the option of retry or ignore in Garmin Express. Then hit retry and have been doing so on two different networks for the last three days and so far it has move from about 74% to 83% and it is killing me. What a worthless product. This is brand new out of the box. I allowed Garmin Express on Windows Firewall. I have rebooted. I have closed down Garmin Express, rebooted both the device and my computer, and started over twice.

I am running Windows 7 64 bit and trying to update a brand new nuvi 2595 piece of junk

P.S. The reason I bought this was because I just moved to Switzerland. I am trying to download the "Full Coverage of Europe (2014.10)" map because I don't know how to get around. The network at my apartment and work are both out of my control so I cannot change either router's settings or firewall options.
I also have a brand new 2595LM and have given up on map updates. I bought it in June and the first time I tried map updating using Garmin Express, it crawled, finally giving up at 98%. I tried again and this time it flew through the process because I suspect it checked for the presence of the files on my Mac but again stalled at 98%. I finally gave up before I threw something at a wall in sheer frustration.

Today I decided to return to the update but this time tried Map Updater as I'd read elsewhere on the forum that Mac users were having more success with it. It sat all morning and although Little Snitch confirmed there was a steady trickle of incoming network data the progress bar on the Updater display never moved at all so I had GUI confirmation that anything was happened. Finally aborted that before I threw something at wall again. Before anyone suggests that Little Snitch may be the issue I have a rule set to access any outgoing network connection and that's never let me down with other software updates.

Having used the 2595 in earnest on holiday at the beginning of the month I have to say it's a very impressive piece of kit. Judging by the numbers of posts about failed updates on the forum, dare I suggest that there's no smoke without fire? It's high time that Garmin addressed the issue as it appears to have been a long standing complaint with users. AS for my lifetime maps updates, that is a joke. The product is not as advertised.

SUSSAMB
08-26-2013, 08:18 AM
You could try the cloning method outlined here http://www.poi-factory.com/node/39231

If it still doesn't work then I'd suspect a problem with your ISP or PC.

glordave@gmail.com
09-02-2013, 02:59 PM
Trying the same, got problem downloading Topo V5 España. pain. switched off firewall. Let´s see.

glordave@gmail.com
09-02-2013, 03:40 PM
So far, same experience as all others, went up to 50% (without firewall) and then jumped back to 0% and restarted. Can´t be right!

glordave@gmail.com
09-02-2013, 04:10 PM
For a second time got to 50% and jumped to 0%.

DESFORDE68
09-03-2013, 04:28 PM
Much the same problem, see below where I have gotten to..... NO-WHERE.
I have tried everything the support guys suggested, although one of them did admit that there was an issue with the server, and said it would be fixed in a day or so. But he did not define the length of time "so" refers to.
From reading the many posts on this issue, it sounds like it has been going on for a while.

Disappointed to say the least with the level of feedback. Obviously, there is either 2 guys working there or they have a lot of problems. I would have expected Garmin to be better that leaving these issues unresolved.
:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Downloading...

City Navigator® North America NT (1932MB) to SD Card (H: (3827MB available).
Do not disconnect while the download is in progress.

Estimated time remaining: calculating...

SUSSAMB
09-04-2013, 01:03 AM
Never had an issue using MapUpdater ... are you still having the same issue, as occasionally there are server issues and this may be the cause of your specific problem.

JOHN.WILBY@BTINTERNET.COM
09-15-2013, 04:17 PM
repeated attempts to download the 2013 map for my DNX521DAB to a 64GB flash drive via my desktop Mac. Have downloaded previously the latest firmware but get a message after "retrieve media" that this is not available online. The UK Kenwood Garmin technical advisor has copied my Garmin file and is able to download it. I've also tried to download on a Windows laptop with the same result

MYHEARTNURSLEEVE@YAHOO.COM
09-27-2013, 04:52 PM
I also have a brand new 2595LM and have given up on map updates. I bought it in June and the first time I tried map updating using Garmin Express, it crawled, finally giving up at 98%. I tried again and this time it flew through the process because I suspect it checked for the presence of the files on my Mac but again stalled at 98%. I finally gave up before I threw something at a wall in sheer frustration.

Today I decided to return to the update but this time tried Map Updater as I'd read elsewhere on the forum that Mac users were having more success with it. It sat all morning and although Little Snitch confirmed there was a steady trickle of incoming network data the progress bar on the Updater display never moved at all so I had GUI confirmation that anything was happened. Finally aborted that before I threw something at wall again. Before anyone suggests that Little Snitch may be the issue I have a rule set to access any outgoing network connection and that's never let me down with other software updates.

Having used the 2595 in earnest on holiday at the beginning of the month I have to say it's a very impressive piece of kit. Judging by the numbers of posts about failed updates on the forum, dare I suggest that there's no smoke without fire? It's high time that Garmin addressed the issue as it appears to have been a long standing complaint with users. AS for my lifetime maps updates, that is a joke. The product is not as advertised.

Looks like I'm not the only one with this problem. I turned off the Firewall, Still stuck at 98 percent.

KW_STARLING
10-03-2013, 11:40 AM
I had another attempt this morning with MapUpdater with no change. I lost the connection at 99% the first time then 98% the second time.

I then attempted to email Garmin Support via the support link on their main web site. I logged on first, saw my registered products including which map updates were available for my 2595LM but when I used the email form the drop list to specify which registered product I was contacting support about didn't have any items listed and no amount of trying would populate it. I finally tried to bypass it and was then asked to log in, despite a web page refresh showing I was still logged on.

It beggars belief how bad this is becoming. There are some serious issues here, all s/w related, and lots of us are having the same problems yet Garmin apparently don't, or can't, get these issues addressed.

I wish I'd read these forums before spending my money as this would have put me right off!

STUARTMW
10-03-2013, 12:17 PM
So are you using "MapUpdater" that is

http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.exe

or Garmin Express? Your other post (https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?20466-session-timeout-after-downloading-several-hours&p=220577#post220577) suggests you're using Garmin Express.

KW_STARLING
10-03-2013, 05:36 PM
Up until today I used Garmin Express on my iMac and on a also tried it on a PC. Someone else suggested that I might have more luck with MapUpdater so I tried that in Windows 7 earlier today with the same end result: download starts ok but gradually slows until I lose the connection at about 98% downloaded some 4 hours later.

SCHINDER
10-04-2013, 06:43 AM
Up until today I used Garmin Express on my iMac and on a also tried it on a PC. Someone else suggested that I might have more luck with MapUpdater so I tried that in Windows 7 earlier today with the same end result: download starts ok but gradually slows until I lose the connection at about 98% downloaded some 4 hours later.

Last night (around 9 EDT) I plugged in my nuvi 755 to my Mac Pro for another futile attempt to upgrade to City Nav North America 2014.20 using my lifetime subscription and Garmin Express. This had failed several times over the last month, and the Lifetime Map Updater software which I had used in the past doesn't show the upgrade, so I couldn't do it that way. It always failed the same way, stuck on downloading file 173 of 175. I expected nothing more last night. But it actually worked last night. So maybe Garmin has fixed the problem at their download site, and you might want to give it another try on your iMac.

GANESHJEY
12-12-2013, 02:24 PM
Recently bought 3590 and tried to update the maps and never got succeeded either using Garmin Express or Garmin Map Updater. Always it stuck at some point and finally throws some error after 3 to 4 hrs. When I look at the log file it shows lots of MD5 match errors. Yesterday night, for a change I directly connected my laptop to internet modem using LAN cable and turned off the WI-FI. Hurrah!!!!! The total process completed in less than 90 MINS.

Mu suggestion is, If anyone is having the "MD5 Match" issue just connect your system directly to the internet modem (Even Don't connect to the wireless router) and try to update. Its worth for a try. I hope it will work at least for some guys.

JDS4@IX.NETCOM.COM
01-05-2014, 01:51 PM
As some others have pointed out, disable firewall before using the Garmin Explorer or other system for updating the maps. I had a dowload stuck at about 98% using Windows 8, and it took about 12+ hours to reach that point. The download had proceeding at about 25 Kb/sec. Without disconnecting my Nuvi 50LM I disabled Windows Firewall (ignoring all the warnings not to do this). Still without disconnecting the Nuvi, I closed and reopened Garmin Explorer. The dowload then completed from 98% to 100% in a few moments at a download speed of about 600 Kb/sec. Then it installed on the Nuvi from the computer automatically in about 10 minutes thereafter. Disabling Windows Firewall appears to stop the "stuck" problem and also permits much faster downloads. Hope this post will help others!

OLDTEEN
01-11-2014, 09:19 PM
I'm having similar prob's trying to update maps on my nuvi 1300LM with my iMac. Garmin Express left running 8-9hrs did not complete map update. Left my unit with no map. Current try using Map Update is at 4+ hrs and only 25% complete (according to blue clockface indicator under "downloading"). It's not my internet connection nor firewall as other DL's have been at usu speeds (6Mb service). Something is clearly amiss with Garmin somehow for so many to be reporting similar ultra-slow map updating.

-nuvi 1300LM, nuvi 265LT, Forerunner 305, Edge 305

NATAMAOS
06-09-2014, 04:01 AM
Disabling firewall helped me also. Thanks guys!

ANROGEORGE
06-25-2014, 12:53 PM
Disabling firewall helped me also. Thanks guys!

I turned off my firewall and it let mine complete also!

LEMONADESODA
07-02-2014, 12:15 PM
I turned off my firewall and it let mine complete also!

Windows 8.1. Got to 50% and stuck, for hours. Didn't need to reboot the device or the PC, just went to control panel and disabled windows firewall, and it got started again. Once complete, turned firewall back on. Thanks for all the tips!

BRENTWMATTSON@YAHOO.COM
07-28-2014, 12:59 PM
Garmin Guys,

Please fix your cruddy product. It does not work as advertised. I'm going to buy a Tom-Tom. Thanks for wasting my time. I will be telling everyone I know about my experience. When you do fix it, please let me know and perhaps I'll give you another try.

SUSSAMB
07-28-2014, 01:16 PM
Ranting won't help. Perhaps if you actually explain what 'doesn't work as advertised' the folks here (not Garmin employees) may be able to help. Most issues are not down to Garmin but problems at the user end.