PDA

View Full Version : Racing timer - detail needed please

WILLIAMSAK
07-29-2009, 03:29 PM
I use a 305 for running yet also do a lot of sailing. Can anyone accurately describe the 'race timers' i.e. are they like other sailing race watches with 5,4 and 1 min countdown and is there a reset option?

Thanks in advance

ALAALA
07-30-2009, 08:49 AM
I use a 305 for running yet also do a lot of sailing. Can anyone accurately describe the 'race timers' i.e. are they like other sailing race watches with 5,4 and 1 min countdown and is there a reset option?

Thanks in advance

Well, perhaps I could help, but frankly, I have no idea what you are talking about. And since noone else has responded, I might not be alone in this.

Can you elaborate?

DW152
07-30-2009, 07:50 PM
Well, perhaps I could help, but frankly, I have no idea what you are talking about. And since noone else has responded, I might not be alone in this.

Can you elaborate?

I used to race sailboats a long time ago. Before the race starts, a horn will sound, and I think it was five minutes before the start. Timing the start is very important, and in the minutes before the starting horn the boats will sail back and forth behind the line jockeying for position so that as soon as the starting horn sounds, they can cross the line in a favorable position. So, before the start, the skipper will keep track of the countdown very carefully while sailing back and forth. I think (?) there are special watches that will give alarms at various times during this countdown to help keep track of the time, and the OP was asking if the 310 can do this. I also believe that Suunto just released a high-end watch (~1,000) aimed at sailboat racers, but it's not a GPS watch.

NDURANCERIDER
07-31-2009, 08:26 AM
A countdown timer was added in the last update.

Countdown timer has been added in Other sport.

You set up the Countdown timer. When you press Start, the countdown begins. At the end of the countdown, the activity timer begins. You can reset the countdown by pressing stop and then holding the Lap button to reset.

There are not interim alarms during the countdown.

April

WILLIAMSAK
08-01-2009, 04:17 PM
April

thanks, that would do it. 5 minute gun goes, press countdown that I would have pre set to countdown from 5 mins and then timer starts at the end of the 5 min countdown.

WILLIAMSAK
08-01-2009, 04:18 PM
I used to race sailboats a long time ago. Before the race starts, a horn will sound, and I think it was five minutes before the start. Timing the start is very important, and in the minutes before the starting horn the boats will sail back and forth behind the line jockeying for position so that as soon as the starting horn sounds, they can cross the line in a favorable position. So, before the start, the skipper will keep track of the countdown very carefully while sailing back and forth. I think (?) there are special watches that will give alarms at various times during this countdown to help keep track of the time, and the OP was asking if the 310 can do this. I also believe that Suunto just released a high-end watch (~1,000) aimed at sailboat racers, but it's not a GPS watch.

absolutely spot on ! A good start can determine if you win or lose the race