PDA

View Full Version : 2 310xt's both linked to same HR strap!!

AUZZIEABBOTT
10-13-2009, 11:22 PM
hi,

my wife and I purchased 2 garmin 310xt's and realized today that we've both been having trouble getting the straps to work.. turns out we've basically been taking the same one each time!!!

I tested this tonight with both watches side by side.... they both receive and detect from 1 strap and both do nothing with the other.

My questions
1) is it possible they are both "linked in" with just 1 strap?
2) is it more likely the 1 strap is faulty and needs returning?

Even when the strap does work it is very jumpy/static like data and on my recent long bike ride it read for the last 20 miles that my HR was in the 50-60 range!!! it was definitely around 130-160....

i dont know what to do! thankyou all for replies in advance

Michael

KAFOLSKE
10-14-2009, 05:01 AM
It is likely both your watches are paired with the same heart rate strap.

As for your heart rate problem, many people have been having trouble with the new straps going a little crazy at the end of their workouts. It is probably due to static electricity. The new straps seem to be more prone to this problem.

If mine gets much worse, I will have to buy the old strap. I never had any problems with that one.

-Keith

T_SMIT
10-14-2009, 08:11 AM
hi,

my wife and I purchased 2 garmin 310xt's and realized today that we've both been having trouble getting the straps to work.. turns out we've basically been taking the same one each time!!!

I tested this tonight with both watches side by side.... they both receive and detect from 1 strap and both do nothing with the other.

My questions
1) is it possible they are both "linked in" with just 1 strap?
2) is it more likely the 1 strap is faulty and needs returning?

Even when the strap does work it is very jumpy/static like data and on my recent long bike ride it read for the last 20 miles that my HR was in the 50-60 range!!! it was definitely around 130-160....

i dont know what to do! thankyou all for replies in advance

Michael

You can re-pair one of the watches with the 'other' strap. Put that strap on, make sure it's adjusted snugly, and use a bit of water or spit to moisten the rubber electrodes where they touch the skin. Now set the watch into pairing mode: Use the mode button to get to the 'settings' screen, use the up button to highlight 'settings', press the enter button, highlight 'sport' (it should be highlighted already), press enter again, highlight 'run', 'general', or 'bike' to select the sport for which you want to pair that HRM, then press enter again. Navigate using the down button until 'heart rate' is highlighted, press enter, highlight 'hr monitor', enter again, highlight 'on', and press enter again. It should now pair with the strap you're wearing. Make sure that the other strap is asleep, or else make sure you're at least 5 meters away from it in any direction... being just one floor down isn't good enough. This procedure is called "pairing" and it's different from the automatic "searching" that is done by the watch for HRMs that it already knows about.

You should only have to go through the pairing procedure once for each sport; subsequent uses of the watch should automatically find the strap once you're wearing it. If you were previously pairing the watches everytime you started an activity then it's quite likely that the watch simply found the incorrect strap because both straps were enabled and within range of both watches.

If you've gone through the pairing procedure, and the watch will find either heart rate strap, then they both have the same ID. There is a 1 in 65000 chance of that occurring, and if that's happened then you should talk to Garmin Support about exchanging the strap.

T_SMIT
10-14-2009, 08:15 AM
It is likely both your watches are paired with the same heart rate strap.

As for your heart rate problem, many people have been having trouble with the new straps going a little crazy at the end of their workouts. It is probably due to static electricity. The new straps seem to be more prone to this problem.

If mine gets much worse, I will have to buy the old strap. I never had any problems with that one.

-Keith
If your strap worked properly when you first got it, but it became steadily worse, then contact customer support... it may be that some part of the strap assembly or the sensor module has developed a fault. Do you have run data logs that span the time you've used it?