PDA

View Full Version : Does 405 automatically pickup the footpod when satellite signal is weak?

ART_K82
10-13-2009, 01:31 PM
Hi there,

I live in an area that forces me to run in trails that are deep in wooded areas, or under tunnels that obviously reduce/eliminate the satellite signal completely. There are also the numerous tall buildings that are in the way sometimes too.

When the satellite signal is non existent, does the Garmin 405 automatically picks up the footpod signal? Do I have to manually turn GPS off to get this to source the data from the footpod?

What about when the satellite signal is weak (I'm getting 20:00/mile readings when I'm doing 6:00/mile intervals), is there a way to get the Garmin 405 to automatically use the data coming from the footpod, or do I have to manually turn GPS off?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm contemplating buying a footpod and want to make an informed decision.

KANSAIBEN
10-14-2009, 09:33 AM
Yes, the 405 will pick up data from the footpod automatically when the GPS signal fails. This actually works quite well, just make sure you've calibrated your footpod beforehand. An additional option on the 405 allows you to actually set the order of preference for your speed source, so you can set the source to footpod instead of GPS without having to turn GPS off (the default source is GPS which will use GPS data for everything--minus cadence of course--if GPS is present and switch to footpod (if available) when a signal drops out). The choice is yours, and setting the source to footpod will still give you map data to analyze later.

ART_K82
10-14-2009, 02:19 PM
Yes, the 405 will pick up data from the footpod automatically when the GPS signal fails. This actually works quite well, just make sure you've calibrated your footpod beforehand. An additional option on the 405 allows you to actually set the order of preference for your speed source, so you can set the source to footpod instead of GPS without having to turn GPS off (the default source is GPS which will use GPS data for everything--minus cadence of course--if GPS is present and switch to footpod (if available) when a signal drops out). The choice is yours, and setting the source to footpod will still give you map data to analyze later.

Hi, many thanks for the reply! I just purchased one today. Is there a guide on how to set the preferences for the priority level of either GPS or footpod to be used?

ALAALA
10-14-2009, 02:36 PM
Hi, many thanks for the reply! I just purchased one today. Is there a guide on how to set the preferences for the priority level of either GPS or footpod to be used?

Play around with the menus. Best way to learn.

KANSAIBEN
10-14-2009, 02:58 PM
Yeah, you won't really need a guide for this as it is a menu setting. I don't have my 405 with me right now, but in the footpod settings you'll see a dropdown box for speed source, choose either GPS or footpod. As far as calibration goes, though, you may want to look through the manual there as you'll have a few different ways of setting the calibration figure. Calibration can be done by running over a known distance, by GPS, or by manually entering a figure (good if you run a series of tests and enter an averaged number).

5STAR66
11-25-2009, 09:31 PM
I'm having some issues with my 405 and newer model footpod making the transition from running outside using GPS to going inside to a treadmill using the footpod. I usually pause the timer while I get checked in at my gym and head to an available treadmill. Then I start running and unpause it. I get the lost GPS signal message and then it kinda freezes up and doesn't transition to footpod. I tinker with it back and forth for a few minutes, cuss at it and sometimes just restart it....which still takes forever for the footpod to kick in it seems.

Am I doing something wrong?? Is there a better way to do this or am I totally missing something?

LISAFOX16
11-26-2009, 12:34 AM
I would suggest manually turning off the GPS when you get to the gym.

Or what I do in this situation is stop the timer after my outdoor run, reset the activity, turn off the GPS and then start a new activity for the treadmill run. This way the unit will not keep trying to locate the satellites and you won't get the lost satellites message.

5STAR66
11-30-2009, 05:52 PM
Thanks...tried that today. Stopped the workout and reset. Turned off the GPS. Went inside and made sure speed source was set to footpod. Started a new workout. My 405 picked up the footpod but then would flash an X through the foot icon off and on and seemed to lose it, find it, lose it, find it and so on. I started all over...rescanned for the footpod. 405 detected the footpod and then back to the same thing...on, off, on, off. I spent half my treadmill time fiddling with the dang thing...very frustrating. Is there something wrong with my footpod?

DATEZZ
11-30-2009, 06:43 PM
I would put a fresh battery in the pod and make sure the little contacts are applying pressure to the battery and that the little piece of rubber or foam between the battery and the screw on cover is there to keep the battery snugged down.

5STAR66
11-30-2009, 09:34 PM
The footpod has a brand new battery as the one it arrived with was just about dead. I have the newer model of the footpod, the smaller one. I don't see any foam pad in the battery contraption at all. Battery is in there pretty snug

t_smit
12-01-2009, 09:36 AM
Do you wear the footpod on top of your shoe or in the sole? If it's in the sole then make sure it's installed battery side up.

Also, if your pod is installed inside the sole then the battery contact leafs can get gummed up due to pressure from your foot on the pod - this is somewhat dependent on your shoe and foot type. The solution for that is to put a drop of mineral or baby oil on each of the battery contacts where they touch the battery.

5STAR66
12-01-2009, 01:34 PM
I wear it in a Nike+ shoe and it is in there correctly

As far as it gumming up, this is a brand new unit. I have used it maybe 4 or 5 times now and have not from the get go been able to actually get it to work the way it is supposed to. It arrived with an almost dead battery that I replaced immediately.

t_smit
12-01-2009, 02:28 PM
A couple of things that may help...

First, the footpod has to be active for the 405 to properly detect it and display the connection. It sounds like you're not having a problem linking up, though.

The second thing is somewhat counterintuitive: Don't spend so much time looking at the display to see if it's working. When you lift your arm and turn it 90 degrees so that you can see the display, you also orient the watch so that it's got both your wrist and your foot between the transmitter and the receive antennas. This isn't necessarily fatal to the ANT connection but it does stretch the radio link to its limits. If the receiver loses the transmit signal for more than a couple of seconds then it starts scanning for the footpod, and the more time you spend looking at the watch to see if it's working, the less likely it will be that it can actually restore a connection to the footpod.

Do a test where you configure the 405 so it is GPS-disabled, verify that it initially finds the footpod, and then just go run. After about 10 strides, look at the watch to see if you're getting speed and distance - it will probably be just fine.

5STAR66
12-01-2009, 06:24 PM
Cool...that makes sense.

I'll give that a shot next time and see how it works. Thanks!