PDA

View Full Version : Advice to garmin: watch design

SOMEGUYINKC
04-26-2012, 04:07 PM
As I run and bike, I don't know which is worse: wearing watch on he dorsum of my wrist and pronating my wrist to read it or wearing it palmar and supinating. Both suck as I bike and run, but worse while biking triathlon bike, aerobars)

My advice: make a watch with a readout on he SIDE of the wrist so that one doesn't have to rotate their wrist to read it..

That is all.

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
04-26-2012, 05:34 PM
Nice use of anatomical terminology. Not sure we all understand your highly intelligent language :D

However, the QR release kits exist for this purpose.

My advice, get QR kit :eek:

SOMEGUYINKC
04-26-2012, 05:38 PM
Nice use of anatomical terminology. Not sure we all understand your highly intelligent language :D

However, the QR release kits exist for this purpose.

My advice, get QR kit :eek:

I have the kit. I use it on my treadmill. Can't use it when running outside :).

No place to mount the QR on my bike while I can see it while down I. Aero position.

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
04-26-2012, 08:16 PM
Why do you choose not to use it when running? Have done since the 305 thru the 310 and now the 910.

Use this for your aerobars. Had them on our bikes for the 5 Ironman events plus numerous other trathlons and TTs we've done.

DW152
04-27-2012, 02:54 PM
No place to mount the QR on my bike while I can see it while down I. Aero position.

Would something like one of these work:

http://www.abovecategorycycling.com/shop/accessories2/computers-mounts/bar-fly-computer-mount.html

http://www.trisports.com/computermount.html

http://www.trisports.com/xlab-compy-mount.html

I use the Profile mount on my tri bike.

SOMEGUYINKC
04-28-2012, 07:34 AM
What I meant is that I don't use the quick connect MOUNT while running. One can only dream of how they'd like things. I'd like a "watch" that I can flex my elbow up while I'm running and not have to rotate my forearm / wrist to read it (yes, I realize that this is kind of a pansy comment). It would be even better to be able to read this same side-mounted readout from my wrist with my hands on the aerobars.

I'm against quick connect, because I'll probably forget to take the "watch" with me when I get off the bike.

thanks for the help.

DW152
04-28-2012, 07:49 AM
What I meant is that I don't use the quick connect MOUNT while running. One can only dream of how they'd like things. I'd like a "watch" that I can flex my elbow up while I'm running and not have to rotate my forearm / wrist to read it (yes, I realize that this is kind of a pansy comment). It would be even better to be able to read this same side-mounted readout from my wrist with my hands on the aerobars.

Does any company make any device that does this?

SEILOGRAMP
04-28-2012, 07:53 AM
One can only dream of how they'd like things. I'd like a "watch" that I can flex my elbow up while I'm running and not have to rotate my forearm / wrist to read it (yes, I realize that this is kind of a pansy comment).

In the end, it's all about energy conservation. ;) Not everyone has the same running style, but your wrist position would be the norm when running. Sounds like a good idea, but would require some re-engineering to comfortably fit all wrist types, while not causing any GPS reception issues. Not sure how practical that would be. Timex has been making the IRONMAN watch since 1986 Seems they would have tried this at some point. Maybe they did and failed?

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
04-28-2012, 01:17 PM

I think Nike did one very briefly.

SEILOGRAMP
04-28-2012, 02:12 PM
I think Nike did one very briefly.

That's what I was thinking too, but if it's the image below, then it's really just rotated for right-handed runners (those that would wear the watch on their left hand), not for the side of the wrist.

https://forums.garmin.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8041&stc=1&d=1335643774

DW152
04-28-2012, 02:41 PM
That's what I was thinking too, but if it's the image below, then it's really just rotated for right-handed runners (those that would wear the watch on their left hand), not for the side of the wrist.

I had a Triax in the early 2000s. The one I had -- which looks similar to the one in your post -- was not made to be read on the side of the wrist, just as you note. It was just rotated a bit, and the band was offset top to bottom (more for style, I believe), but it was still meant to be worn on the flat part on the top of the wrist like other watches.

Having said all this, the point I was trying to make is that nobody that I'm aware of now makes a device like this now, so it's a little unreasonable to expect Garmin to do this just to accommodate a person riding on the aerobars, especially when they already offer the QR mount as a solution.

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
04-29-2012, 01:54 PM
Absolutely correct. One can only speculate, but the fact that the design didn't last would lead us to believe that people who wanted it were in a minority.

OP seems more fixed on demonstrating his knowledge of anatomical references than being reasonable.

SEILOGRAMP
04-29-2012, 02:14 PM
OP seems more fixed on demonstrating his knowledge of anatomical references than being reasonable.

Being that the radius quite naturally articulates with the capitulum of the humerus, the radial notch and the head of the ulna, I find it odd that the OP would desire such a device. :rolleyes:

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
04-30-2012, 03:43 AM
Very humerus :D

ONDAEYES
05-03-2012, 09:11 AM
Being that the radius quite naturally articulates with the capitulum of the humerus, the radial notch and the head of the ulna, I find it odd that the OP would desire such a device. :rolleyes:

Nominated for Post of the Year!! :D

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
05-03-2012, 01:13 PM
Nominated for Post of the Year!! :D

Agreed :)

JOHNROLD
08-15-2012, 04:03 AM
One can only dream of how they'd like things.Not everyone has the same running style, but your wrist position would be the norm when running. Sounds like a good idea, but would require some re-engineering to comfortably fit all wrist types, while not causing any GPS reception issues.