PDA

View Full Version : Heart Rate Monitor for 310XT

DOCHEINDELDVM
10-09-2009, 05:02 AM
Hi. Do you guys know if I can use my Polar HR monitor with the Forerunner 310XT, or must I purchase a Garmin HR monitor?

I have 2 HR monitors already and totally do not want to buy another one :(

Tiffany

ALAALA
10-09-2009, 05:54 AM
Hi. Do you guys know if I can use my Polar HR monitor with the Forerunner 310XT, or must I purchase a Garmin HR monitor?

I have 2 HR monitors already and totally do not want to buy another one :(

Tiffany

Ask your Polar monitor if it speaks ANT (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ANT_%28network%29). It will answer no.
So, no, since your Polar monitor only speaks Finnish, you'll
have to buy an HRM that speaks ANT (and a dialect the Forerunners understand).

(Klingon won't help either.)

MADEUPNAME
10-09-2009, 06:03 AM
If its any consolation, I have found the new Garmin Premium (soft) chest strap to be more comfortable than the Polar soft strap that came with my RS800CX

EXTREMELIVER
10-09-2009, 11:27 PM
I also like the new premium Garmin strap. The way it snaps together is similar to the Polar, but the main center piece (transmitter I suppose) is much less bulky than the Polar.

KAFOLSKE
10-10-2009, 02:49 PM
I thought the old Polar straps were great. I then tried the new Garmin soft strap and now I really, really like it.

Ignorance is bliss.

MADEUPNAME
10-10-2009, 04:06 PM
To be fair to Polar though, their HR Strap does do more than Garmin's, as you also get R-R HR data as well on certain Polar models which probably accounts for the bigger centre piece of "cleverness".

MTNSUMMIT
10-11-2009, 12:43 PM
For me , the Garmin soft strap with the 310xt is the most comfortable I have ever had.

RVDOWNING
10-13-2009, 01:27 PM
Be careful though with the new heart rate monitor strap. The data it produces is not nearly as good as the old strap. There is a thread in this forum about it.

T_SMIT
10-13-2009, 01:59 PM
To be fair to Polar though, their HR Strap does do more than Garmin's, as you also get R-R HR data as well on certain Polar models which probably accounts for the bigger centre piece of "cleverness".
The 405CX uses FirstBeat's algorithms to give more accurate calorie estimation. This requires R-R interval information from the strap... so the Garmin heartrate monitors can definitely provide the required R-R data. Additionally, the Garmin straps have very good immunity against interference from other users and environmental interference.

Be careful though with the new heart rate monitor strap. The data it produces is not nearly as good as the old strap. There is a thread in this forum about it.
Heart rate straps are, unfortunately, a very individual thing. Any given strap design is not going to be right for everyone. A lot of people did find that with a bit of wetting of the electrodes, at least the initial HR spiking is minimized.
It also helps to make sure the strap is worn snugly; the soft strap elastic adjustment can slip a little more easily than the other strap, and that can cause the strap to perform poorly because it's not positioned correctly.

MADEUPNAME
10-13-2009, 02:08 PM
I have the FirstBeat "Athlete" software that I used to use with my Polar RS800 to get post exercise TE and EPOC...... I know Garmin are using some of FB's expertise but I would have thought it would have made sense (for both companies) to have the FB software be able to analyse the HR data within the Garmin TCX files...... which it can't, so either a trick has been missed or possibly it is just pure vanilla HR data support as opposed to R-R data as well??

T_SMIT
10-13-2009, 03:37 PM
The HR data in the TCX files is actually computed (with some smoothing) in the HR strap, and sent to the watch or bike computer. The FirstBeat algorithms require beat-by-beat timing information, which the strap also transmits to the watch or bike computer. For the watch or bike computer to receive all this data, it has to operate the ANT+ receiver at a higher rate than it would if it was just going to display the computed heart rate, which represents a power consumption hit.

The data logs would also be correspondingly larger if all the data required for FirstBeat analysis were stored for offline analysis. Instead, the 405CX does the calculations on the realtime datastream, and it only stores the output parameters, at a suitable rate.