PDA

View Full Version : back to start - 5000 miles away?

DW152
07-29-2009, 07:19 AM
I'm away from home right now, and I went on a run this morning. I was only supposed to do 30 minutes easy, but then I got hopelessly lost.

I tried to use my 310 to help me get back to my hotel, so I went to GPS > Back to Start. From what I could tell, it somehow thought my start location was over 5000 miles away. :confused:

Is this related to the problem that seilogramp found with the 310 having some fixed track point in Olathe KS? Actually, I'm not quite 5000 miles from KS, so I'm not sure if that's it. Also, I don't have any saved locations, and in particular I cleared the two or three Garmin locations (KS, Europe, and Taiwan) that are pre-loaded into the watch. So it this a glitch? Or did I do something wrong?

SEILOGRAMP
07-29-2009, 07:29 AM
I have never used the back to start feature since I started using the 310. I'll have to try it. Our issues may somehow be related. Did you report this to support?

DW152
07-29-2009, 12:02 PM
I haven't reported it to support yet. I want to try it again and see if it happens again. There is the possibility that I did something wrong.

DW152
07-29-2009, 12:45 PM
I just did a couple of tests walking around outside, and it seemed to work fine. However, these were short distance (~0.1 mile) and the paths were pretty simple. I know that this morning when I tried to do this I saw a four-digit number starting with 5. Maybe the units got botched up (e.g., it was feet instead of miles), or maybe there was a decimal in there (e.g., 5.432 miles), or some other explanation. When I run tomorrow morning I'll try to give it another test.

DW152
08-07-2009, 05:42 AM
Since I made my first post of this issue last week, I've tested the back-to-start feature twice during actual runs.

The first test seemed to be fine. I stopped mid-way through my run, and the route and distance back to start displayed on the 310 seemed to make sense. I didn't actually retrace my route, but everything looked fine.

I tested it again this morning, and the results weren't so good. I actually stopped three times during my run to test it, and the results were the same each time -- that I was about 5,155 miles (plus or minus a mile) from my starting point. When I finally finished my run at my original starting point, I pressed the start/stop button, but didn't reset the watch. I started the back-to-start navigation, and it said I was 5,156 miles from my starting point. I zoomed in and out of the little map. If I zoomed in, I could see the breadcrumb with my route, and it looked like it had my then-current location to correctly be at the start, but at all zoom levels, there was a heavy line with an approximate heading of ENE. Is this heavy line telling me I should run 5,156 miles in that direction? BTW, during today's test, the time-to-start field was blank each time.

SEILOGRAMP
08-07-2009, 05:54 AM
there was a heavy line with an approximate heading of ENE. Is this heavy line telling me I should run 5,156 miles in that direction?

Maybe you should. It might fix the problem if you complete the route.;) So apparently this is different from my issue where the device wants to "phone home" to Olathe KS (XT phone home). I have tried the back to start function, but could not replicate your problem. Have you gotten any reply from support on this?

DW152
08-07-2009, 06:16 AM
Maybe you should. It might fix the problem if you complete the route.;)

Instead of fixing the problem, maybe there's a pot of gold at the end of that rainbow?:)

So apparently this is different from my issue where the device wants to "phone home" to Olathe KS (XT phone home). I have tried the back to start function, but could not replicate your problem. Have you gotten any reply from support on this?

Yes, I think this is different, since Olathe KS is closer than 5,000 miles.

I haven't submitted this to support yet. I wanted to replicate the problem first and make sure I wasn't doing something stupid.

DW152
08-22-2009, 01:49 PM
Update:

After last Wednesday's run, I posted this:

https://forums.garmin.com/showpost.php?p=4568&postcount=7

Apparently my 310 was trying to direct me to Garmin in Olathe KS.

So today I did as ALAALA suggested, and deleted all the stored locations on my 310, went for a run, and then performed the "back to start feature" of the 310. It directed me almost due E to a point that was 5,533 miles away.

Then I had an idea, so I went to a lat-long calculator, and calculated the distance from where where I was at to (0N, 0W), and I came up with 5,539 miles. Close enough for me to conclude that the 310 was directing me to a null point since I didn't have any saved locations.

SEILOGRAMP
08-22-2009, 01:52 PM
Yes, I tried that too. Hard reset, followed by deleting all locations. No difference. Still not sure we had the same issue, but close.

SEILOGRAMP
08-22-2009, 01:59 PM
Here's a shot of my 310XT when it experiences the errant line to Olathe KS. This is even after master reset and deleting all saved locations.

https://forums.garmin.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=305&stc=1&d=1250970978

Guess it doesn't matter now. Somehow its obsession with Kansas made me send it there (Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind :D).

DW152
09-12-2009, 03:10 PM
Ever since I upgraded the firmware to 2.6, the back to start feature seems to work, at least on my 310. I've tested in numerous times, and it seems to reliably give credible directions back to my starting location. I don't know if this was specifically fixed in 2.6 (Garmin never did acknowledge this problem and it wasn't listed as a fix), or if upgrading the firmware purged whatever was causing the problem. I'm not completely convinced that it's fixed, so I'll keep on testing this once in a while when I remember during a run.

SEILOGRAMP
09-12-2009, 07:53 PM
Garmin never did acknowledge this problem and it wasn't listed as a fix

Not officially, but BBECKER39 did acknowledge it here (https://forums.garmin.com/showpost.php?p=4577&postcount=10).

DW152
09-12-2009, 08:25 PM
Not officially, but BBECKER39 did acknowledge it here (https://forums.garmin.com/showpost.php?p=4577&postcount=10).

I wouldn't say he acknowledged it. He said it was a possibility, and that was the last we heard of it, including no mention of it in the announcement of the 2.6:

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=1414

Based on this, I wasn't expecting 2.6 to have fixed this problem.

At any rate, it's fixed now, so time to move on.

IRONMANATEE
09-12-2009, 10:21 PM
Mine did the exact same, now it works beautifully- All but pedaled for me!