PDA

View Full Version : Calorie Burn

AJT311
02-08-2012, 03:45 PM
First couple of workouts, calorie burn totals seemed pretty accurate. Since, for whatever reason, the calorie burn totals are well understated and completely inaccurate. For example, I did a 75 minute ride with an average heart rate of 141 bpm (I'm 39 y/o). I would anticipate the calorie burn would exceed approximately 1,000, yet when I uploaded the workout to Garmin Connect, it said 375 calories were burned. Same issue happening on runs. Ran 6 miles, was told I burned 250 calories.

Anybody else encountered this?

NORD0296
02-08-2012, 07:48 PM
My 910 seems to give me similar numbers as my 610, and roughly in the ballpark of my 310xt. In general I feel like they are likely a bit low, but I have never had any metabolic testing done.

If I use a standard weight versus distance equation, then they are very low (like 50%). I am 6'3" and weigh about 190 lbs, my 6 mile interval run (aggressive pace) tonight burned less than 100 calories per mile according to the watch.

Not that it answers your question, but this is a good read if you would like a little more information about differences between the various Garmin Forerunner Calorie computations: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/11/how-calorie-measurement-works-on-garmin.html

LAMKK77
02-25-2012, 10:35 PM
I ran with Garmin 910 for a 100km trial race for 14 hours, it only recorded 4xxx calories burn. I had run the same route with polar rs800, it recorded 1xxxx calories. It appears that the calories burn recorded by Garmin was unreasonable.

POVLHP
02-26-2012, 01:41 AM
Calorie usage is normally consider to be around 1 kcal per km per kg of weight, when running, mostly independent of speed. Above 14 km/h, wind resistance will start to add to this.

Higher speed would give more "after burn" effect, and to some degree a little more calories burned during exercise.

But I see the Garmin listing up to 15-20% less than what is considered used calories.

TOULGER
02-26-2012, 03:35 AM
The same to me. Sometimes I used both Garmin 910 or Garmin 610 with Polar rs400 with both heart rates and foot pod if I used it internal or gps and foot pod if I use it external as the polar does not contain gps.

Always the polar shows at least 400-500 cal. more than Garmins.Last wednesday I used both for 11 km run and 4 hours internal bike. After 4:30 hours of using Garmin showed 2010 cal. and Polar 2811 cal. so there is a difference 801 cal. I do not know what is the right and what the wrong calibration but I prefer to take into my consideration Polar cal. :)

KALMAT
03-03-2013, 05:25 AM
Same here - used Garmin 410 first time ever this morning and ran 6.35 miles - normally my calorie burn is around the 600 mark (have previously been using Runkeeper) for this run but Garmin Connect is saying it's 250! I do not understand this and has I have never used a Garmin before not sure why this is happening.

OEAGLEO
03-03-2013, 10:34 AM
Same here - used Garmin 410 first time ever this morning and ran 6.35 miles - normally my calorie burn is around the 600 mark (have previously been using Runkeeper) for this run but Garmin Connect is saying it's 250! I do not understand this and has I have never used a Garmin before not sure why this is happening.

If you are truly serious about calorie expenditure for a reason, and really need accurate results, I would suggest giving Firstbeat Athlete software a try. They require the R-R data, and use that information to truly diagnose training, and it's affect on the body. I was shocked when I first started using it with a Suunto T6D, and other software programs that I have used to loose over 100 Lbs, and start to get back in shape. They also provide factual, intelligent analysis on the reasoning, and the physiology behind their calorie computations. Sometimes a little deep in the explanation department, but enough to convince me that they know what they're talking about, and I use their calorie estimations exclusively when I'm planning my day's meals.

For anyone interested in the exact "How", and "Why" they use R-R, and how they compute the actual expenditures, they have a series of "White Papers" that will explain to everyone, use the 910XT for the data, Heart Rate, R-R, etc, Miles, route, all the cute things, then let Firstbeat analyze the data. You'll be amazed.
Here's the link to the white papers for anyone interested.

http://www.firstbeat.fi/physiology/white-papers

MGVAUGHAN@HOTMAIL.COM
03-26-2013, 03:18 AM
I've noticed the same thing. Over the last few weekends as part of training to compete in an Oly triathlon, I've been doing bike rides of around 90 minutes followed by a short run of say 15 minutes, both in heart rate Zone 2.

The first couple of times I did this I burned approx 850-900 calories on the bike followed by about 200 when running which made sense.

For no reason I could determine, this then fell the following week to about 620 bike and 120 run (same physical route taken at same level of effort). The weekend after that it was the same. In between these two I reset the device at the suggestion of Garmin Support and it made no difference.

I can only assume that I have changed some setting or other and not realised it, but it is very annoying, and even more so when Garmin's advice is to basically reset the device - I mean before you do that should you not ascertain whether or not there is a problem in the first place? For all I know the higher readings could be wrong.