PDA

View Full Version : New strap, back to old, or polar strap?

MGIVEN1
02-01-2012, 02:49 PM
Just back from a run and think my "premium" soft strap has taken a turn for the worse. Lots of debate on here about the HR straps and problems, but I've always found a good majority of the spike/drop issues can be solved through cleaning, static cling sheets, HR gel, cotton clothing, re positioning the strap, resetting the HRM by reversing the battery for a few seconds OR replacing the battery.

Sometimes though you still continue to get errors. My strap has shown an error % of over 20% for a few runs in a row and thought it might just be the cold or needs a better cleaning. Today's run (and it's almost 60F here in NJ) was a disaster though with a low HR from the start and then nothing with a final error % of 97%. Tried all the old tricks and nothing worked. Strapped on the old plastic HRM to make sure it wasn't the watch. It worked fine. Then I took the batteries out of both straps and swapped them. The "premium" soft strap acts the same with the other battery. It displays the dotted line and if you press on the contacts it will show a HR for a few seconds and dissapear in any postion, wetness or tightness. The other battery in the old strap also worked flawlessly. This seems like the typical strap/contacts issue that many here report. This strap is about 90 days old and has about 75 hours of use. Arrrrgh!

So what to do? Order another soft strap? Go with the Polar wearlink soft strap with the Garmin transmitter "frankenstrap" method that a few on here use? Just go back to the old reliable hard strap? Maybe we should be logging "strap hours" in various online sites like we log running shoe miles! Seems like many say they last 3 months or around 300-400 hours. Maybe I go the short end of the stick this time with 90 days and 75 hours of use. Should I write Garmin or just suck up the $14 on Amazon for a polar wearlink strap?

PHILIPSHAMBROOK
02-01-2012, 03:19 PM
Sadly, I found the same thing happened with the Polar strap. All good for a few months then same thing.

The only thing I have had work is the good old first generation hard strap.

KAFOLSKE
02-03-2012, 03:43 PM
Same here. I have gone through two Premium soft straps from Garmin and two soft straps from Polar over the last 18 months. I replaced batteries, washed, rinsed, used gel, lit a candle and threw chicken blood on them.

Nothing would keep them working.

I eventually went back to the hard Garmin strap that I purchased three years ago.

It just works....always.

MGIVEN1
02-22-2012, 01:56 PM
Revisiting my original post. I just kept using the old strap since it is a lot more reliable and I really can't tell I have either of them on after a minute.

GOGUA
03-05-2012, 03:42 AM
Hello!

I have FR410 and i think my Premiun Strap has died. The HRM remains paired ok but no bpm data shows on 410.

my FR410 came with this: 010-11254-20

would i buy another garmin premium: 010-11254-20
this one: 010-10997-02
old previous: 010-10997-00

or polar wearlink ? which strap exactly ? can anybody tell me reference or url ?

thank you

PIWI1999
03-26-2012, 02:21 AM
hi, i also had a lot of troubles with the premium strap so far...heart beat disappeared...only '--' on the screen although sensor was still connected...my problems occured only at 3/4 of my jogging or cycling...i made my think...why only then?....as i am quite a sweater...i started to look for the cause there and tried several things...technical shirt in stead of cotton...no solution....until i put a piece of technical fabric (folded so it wasn't too wide) and put it between my chest and the sensorstrap itself...as technical fabrics don't take up the sweat...the piece of fabric of the strap right behind the sensor couldn't get too wet....thus avoiding to create a 'bridge' between the two electrodes....and thus avoiding short-circuiting...so far that solved my problem

GOGUA
03-26-2012, 02:29 AM
hi, i also had a lot of troubles with the premium strap so far...heart beat disappeared...only '--' on the screen although sensor was still connected...my problems occured only at 3/4 of my jogging or cycling...i made my think...why only then?....as i am quite a sweater...i started to look for the cause there and tried several things...technical shirt in stead of cotton...no solution....until i put a piece of technical fabric (folded so it wasn't too wide) and put it between my chest and the sensorstrap itself...as technical fabrics don't take up the sweat...the piece of fabric of the strap right behind the sensor couldn't get too wet....thus avoiding to create a 'bridge' between the two electrodes....and thus avoiding short-circuiting...so far that solved my problem

could you take a photo of your solution ??

PIWI1999
03-26-2012, 02:49 AM
ok i will try to take some pics asap

PIWI1999
03-26-2012, 03:00 AM
i use the hat in technical fabrics on the pic....not inside out but the normal way....fold it from the sides towards the middle...from left and right to the middel...

PIWI1999
03-26-2012, 03:05 AM
and then put it between ur chest and the premium strap at the place where the sensor is fixed to the strap...make it as narrow and thin as possible in order to avoid that plastic sensors don't have contact with ur skin....u can fold part of the hat towards the front so that the hat rests in fact on the sensor

NORD0296
04-06-2012, 07:50 PM
I too have finally given up on the premium straps. I first used the original I had received with my 310xt back in July of 2010. Every 3-4 months I started getting odd readings and tried a polar wear link strap. Essentially had problems 4 months later...

Rather than buy just a Garmin strap replacement I bought a whole new transmitter + strap. This one worked fairly well for about 6 months before getting on and off noisy (generally high) readings.

Since then I've tried everything that I've read -- gel, washing, wetting, static spray, dryer sheets, new battery etc... Still I often have problems.

I just ordered a 'new' standard (rubber / plastic) strap to switch back to. I look forward to being able to rely on my hr reading again.

I still hope someone will make a rock solid ant+ hr soft strap in the future. I'd buy a wahoo (or other) if I knew for certain it wouldn't have these issues!

JOHNROLD
08-15-2012, 04:07 AM
All good for a few months then same thing.Nothing would keep them working.
I eventually went back to the hard Garmin strap that I purchased three years ago.

8K84
09-23-2012, 02:28 PM
My new "premium" HRM went wrong (too low bpm) after about 6 months of not too heavy use. As many here, I switched back to the old monitor, which works just fine, but is not nearly as comfortable to use (for me) as the new one.

Recently I found an article at dcrainmaker.com about the use of Polar WearLink strap -- in the comments they discussed that Polar strap sometimes also went wrong after a while, and the suggested solution was to cut it between the connectors to which the sending unit clips on in order to physically break the possible electrical shortcut between the connectors. So I thought that this might fix the problem with my "premium" strap too. Since I had no use for it anyway, I took scissors and made two cuts (to create a gap about half inch wide between the newly formed ends of the strap). Used this modified strap during my ~2 hour run on Saturday, and it worked. If it keeps going this way, I'm happy. If not -- I guess getting the new Polar Soft Strap is my next step.

8K84
10-20-2012, 11:30 AM
The "modified" strap did not last long -- the glitch returned on the second run. So I got Polar Soft Strap ($19 from Amazon) -- fits Garmin's "Premium" HRM just fine, works fine too (so far). The strap is very similar to Garmin's, but not identical. Hope it will last longer. Will see...